Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Path Less Pedaled: Grant Peterson interview (The Future of Mechanical Components)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Path Less Pedaled: Grant Peterson interview (The Future of Mechanical Components)

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-23, 04:26 AM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,808 Times in 1,411 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
If the Tour de France returned to the format where a racer started with one bike and that was the bike he had to race throughout, no time trial bikes, the bike better last as that ONE was the bike you had to complete on, race bikes would get more sensible, serviceable, durable.
When did that happen? During the Desgrange idiocy? While the Italians for some time made their riders fix flats, maybe up to WW2, they certainly could swap bikes if needed.

Racing is about speed, nothing else. Sensible, serviceable and durable have nothing to do with it.
Likes For iab:
Old 07-15-23, 05:48 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,472 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
When did that happen? During the Desgrange idiocy? While the Italians for some time made their riders fix flats, maybe up to WW2, they certainly could swap bikes if needed.

Racing is about speed, nothing else. Sensible, serviceable and durable have nothing to do with it.
Racing drives bike technology. Change the race rules and manufacturers will adapt. There is no incentive to change the rules as you point out since speed is the goal. That said, one could imagine a different world in which other goals such as dependability were made paramount.
Old 07-15-23, 05:59 AM
iab

Originally Posted by bikemig
Racing drives bike technology. Change the race rules and manufacturers will adapt. There is no incentive to change the rules as you point out since speed is the goal. That said, one could imagine a different world in which other goals such as dependability were made paramount.
Other than ultra-endurance, when has that been a thing in competition? I mean, sure, if you want competition to be boring, add dependability to it. Competition is about limits, stretching them, not sitting comfortably in them.

And while it's Grant's dream to have that mindset, he himself says the prevalence of that is 1/20,000. If pounding sand is your thing, go for it. But if you have that freedom, don't stop others who don't want to pound sand.
Old 07-15-23, 06:04 AM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by iab
Other than ultra-endurance, when has that been a thing in competition? I mean, sure, if you want competition to be boring, add dependability to it. Competition is about limits, stretching them, not sitting comfortably in them.

And while it's Grant's dream to have that mindset, he himself says the prevalence of that is 1/20,000. If pounding sand is your thing, go for it. But if you have that freedom, don't stop others who don't want to pound sand.
It wouldn't make competition boring; it would be different. Let me try this a different way. We have a human world set up with all sorts of incentives that drive innovation and facilitate behavior. We may need to think about changing some of those incentives if we are to adapt to the anthropocene era. That is, at bottom, at the heart of some of Grant Peterson's claim. Some of the values that our grandparents/great grandparents cared about during the Depression may increasingly matter given the dislocations we face due to climate change and the like. I'm not suggesting any of these changes will occur. I am saying one can imagine a different world where incentives are changed and maybe that wouldn't be a terrible thing.
Old 07-15-23, 06:17 AM
iab

It wouldn't make competition boring; it would be different. Let me try this a different way. We have a human world set up with all sorts of incentives that drive innovation and facilitate behavior. We may need to think about changing some of those incentives if we are to adapt to the anthropocene era. That is, at bottom, at the heart of some of Grant Peterson's claim. Some of the values that our grandparents/great grandparents cared about during the Depression may increasingly matter given the dislocations we face due to climate change and the like. I'm not suggesting any of these changes will occur. I am saying one can imagine a different world where incentives are changed and maybe that wouldn't be a terrible thing.
You cannot force cultural change, it may evolve to the model you state, but on the other hand, it may not. So again, you can pound sand and it may become a thing. Just don't be surprised if it doesn't.

And we will have to agree to disagree about the snooze-fest competition would be. All sports would be like golf. ick.
Old 07-15-23, 07:18 AM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by iab
You cannot force cultural change, it may evolve to the model you state, but on the other hand, it may not. So again, you can pound sand and it may become a thing. Just don't be surprised if it doesn't.

And we will have to agree to disagree about the snooze-fest competition would be. All sports would be like golf. ick.
I never said you could force change although some changes will likely be forced upon us whether we like it or not.

I'm puzzled by what the argument is about. Change incentives and other things will start to adapt and change as well. No one knows where that will lead. The point made by the poster that you criticized which is that if you change TdF rules, you are likely to get different bikes is undoubtedly right. That is unlikely to happen for the reasons you stated (and which I agreed with in my first posting). Whether that is a good thing or not was not my main point even though I suspect we may have to rethink some of our behaviors given other larger changes that are occurring.
Old 07-15-23, 08:19 AM
Portlandjim

Bikes: 1946 Holdsworth Cyclone, 1969 Cinelli SC, 1972 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Merz road bike, 1974 Alex Singer Sportif, 1974 Merz track bike, 1975 Teledyne Titan, 1976 Ritchey road bike, 1977 DiNucci built Merz track bike, 1977 (?) Exxon Graftek, many more!

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 1,432 Times in 175 Posts
I called Grant about Merziac's encounter

Originally Posted by merziac
Grant's a funny guy, I stopped and bought a shirt on the way home from Eroica, he was all over the racks on the Merz, took a bunch of pics and didn't say a word to me.

I reached out after I got home and Will responded that Grant was very intrigued by them, find it hard to believe he'd never had a good look before.

Offered to share more info, pics, reach out to Jim, whatever, crickets.
Back when this happened I called Grant to ask him if he had any questions about my racks. He said no, that's it. I've known him since way back, and have even done work for him indirectly. On a fork crown that Tom Ritchey was designing for ​Bridgestone​. ​Grant is a marketing guy, and a pretty good one. Bridgestone was almost completely unknown to the USA bicycle market​ when they came here in the 1980's​, Grant (and his team) made it into a super hip brand. When they pulled the plug on USA sales, I assume sales of bicycles was just too small for such a big company, Grant was out of a job. So he started his own company, carrying on his quirky marketing style developed with Bridgestorne USA. Selling bicycles and parts has always been a difficult business. Barrier to entry is fairly low for bicycles, there are many contract bike factories ready to build what you want, although it does take money to purchase the stock. What is most useful for success is a solid underlying philosophy that can easily be communicated to a large enough group of potential customers. Grant has worked on creating his ideas about what a bicycle should be for many years. It is very different from almost any other bicycle company, based on technology and styling from the past. From my viewpoint, it seems ​that he has a cult. The problem with this has to do with how large this following is, and how willing they are to buy enough product to keep the doors open. ​So far i​t doesn​'​t seem to lead to a​ny​ product​s​ that mainstream bicycle riders will rush out and purchase.

I have been retired from working at a real job for about 13 years. To help me keep out of trouble,​​​​ I set up a ​hobby ​machine shop, and have been making reproduction vintage bike parts. From my experience​ in trying to sell these parts​, riders who are using vintage bicycles as their main ride are mostly interested in not spending money. All this talk about not wanting modern bikes or parts is very difficult for me to hear. I spent my career designing, building and testing state of the art bicycles. The design objective has always been, to obtain the most useful work from the rider. Efficiency, period. In pursuing this, there will never be a final product. Of course marketing needs to happen! ​Lessons learned can be shared on more modestly priced bicycle models. Which sell in quantities that allow the company to thrive and continue to strive for the pinnacle.

I have ridden quite a few bikes in my life​ of bicycles​. The one I like best is my Tarmac SL7. OK, it costs a lot, and is almost impossible to purchase. But, if you are really interested in feeling what a state of the art bike rides like, endeavor to ride one. Not everyone needs this kind of bike, I'm old and slow, but I need all the help I can get!

​Jim Merz​
Old 07-15-23, 09:14 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by Portlandjim
Back when this happened I called Grant to ask him if he had any questions about my racks. He said no, that's it. I've known him since way back, and have even done work for him indirectly. On a fork crown that Tom Ritchey was designing for ​Bridgestone​. ​Grant is a marketing guy, and a pretty good one. Bridgestone was almost completely unknown to the USA bicycle market​ when they came here in the 1980's​, Grant (and his team) made it into a super hip brand. When they pulled the plug on USA sales, I assume sales of bicycles was just too small for such a big company, Grant was out of a job. So he started his own company, carrying on his quirky marketing style developed with Bridgestorne USA. Selling bicycles and parts has always been a difficult business. Barrier to entry is fairly low for bicycles, there are many contract bike factories ready to build what you want, although it does take money to purchase the stock. What is most useful for success is a solid underlying philosophy that can easily be communicated to a large enough group of potential customers. Grant has worked on creating his ideas about what a bicycle should be for many years. It is very different from almost any other bicycle company, based on technology and styling from the past. From my viewpoint, it seems ​that he has a cult. The problem with this has to do with how large this following is, and how willing they are to buy enough product to keep the doors open. ​So far i​t doesn​'​t seem to lead to a​ny​ product​s​ that mainstream bicycle riders will rush out and purchase.

I have been retired from working at a real job for about 13 years. To help me keep out of trouble,​​​​ I set up a ​hobby ​machine shop, and have been making reproduction vintage bike parts. From my experience​ in trying to sell these parts​, riders who are using vintage bicycles as their main ride are mostly interested in not spending money. All this talk about not wanting modern bikes or parts is very difficult for me to hear. I spent my career designing, building and testing state of the art bicycles. The design objective has always been, to obtain the most useful work from the rider. Efficiency, period. In pursuing this, there will never be a final product. Of course marketing needs to happen! ​Lessons learned can be shared on more modestly priced bicycle models. Which sell in quantities that allow the company to thrive and continue to strive for the pinnacle.

I have ridden quite a few bikes in my life​ of bicycles​. The one I like best is my Tarmac SL7. OK, it costs a lot, and is almost impossible to purchase. But, if you are really interested in feeling what a state of the art bike rides like, endeavor to ride one. Not everyone needs this kind of bike, I'm old and slow, but I need all the help I can get!

​Jim Merz​
Well written and aligns with my perspective. I understand the beauty of a well made bike with top tier components in vintage style. Its the compulsive need to deride new tech and self congratulatory remarks where the debates begin. For most of us we grew up on these vintage bikes and still remember the limitations and are amazed every day on how far bike tech has come.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 07-15-23, 09:28 AM
Schlafen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 63 Posts
We can 3D print whatever we want now.

My prediction is that alot of people on here will stop riding, way before the world runs out of old, sub par bicycle parts, for one reason or another but mainly because they'll be too vintage themselves.

Also, freewheels are dogs#it, good riddance, ha.
Old 07-15-23, 01:07 PM
Portlandjim

Bikes: 1946 Holdsworth Cyclone, 1969 Cinelli SC, 1972 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Merz road bike, 1974 Alex Singer Sportif, 1974 Merz track bike, 1975 Teledyne Titan, 1976 Ritchey road bike, 1977 DiNucci built Merz track bike, 1977 (?) Exxon Graftek, many more!

3D printing

Originally Posted by Schlafen
We can 3D print whatever we want now.
3D printing is not going to solve making inexpensive vintage bike parts anytime soon. The first problem, one needs to make a computer model of the part. Some parts are simple, and would not take a CAD designer long to create. More complex parts can be time consuming even for an expert. It's unlikely an amateur, who would also have to have the CAD software, could do this without a long learning curve. The next problem is this fabrication method requires expensive machines and raw material to make strong metal parts. Most hobby machines make plastic parts that ​have low strength. Also the finish and dimensional tolerance tends to be lower than can be achieved with traditional fabrication methods. Bicycle parts that fail during use can cause injury or death, testing is a good idea.

Cane Creek is selling a E-MTB bike crankset made using 3D printing, called Electric Wings. I saw a set, it looks great. So it is possible to make bike parts this way, but it's not going to be cheap.

Jim Merz
Old 07-15-23, 01:19 PM
brianmcg123

Bikes: 2013 Trek Madone; 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
If the Tour de France returned to the format where a racer started with one bike and that was the bike he had to race throughout, no time trial bikes, the bike better last as that ONE was the bike you had to complete on, race bikes would get more sensible, serviceable, durable.
Thats basically what the Trans-Am bike race is and all the other ultra endurance self supported races are. You see a lot different bikes for sure.
Old 07-15-23, 01:32 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4513 Post(s)
Liked 6,392 Times in 3,676 Posts
I meant no disrespect and probably should have approached Grant when it happened, like I said, funny guy as we all know.

I met him at Revelo a couple of times and he was good as he was at those in a more casual role, great stuff.
Old 07-15-23, 02:06 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4513 Post(s)
Liked 6,392 Times in 3,676 Posts
Back when this happened I called Grant to ask him if he had any questions about my racks. He said no, that's it. I've known him since way back, and have even done work for him indirectly. On a fork crown that Tom Ritchey was designing for ​Bridgestone​. ​Jim Merz​
So this was actually you?

Old 07-15-23, 02:21 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1830 Post(s)
Liked 3,385 Times in 1,585 Posts

Cane Creek is selling a E-MTB bike crankset made using 3D printing, called Electric Wings. I saw a set, it looks great. So it is possible to make bike parts this way, but it's not going to be cheap.

Jim Merz
wandering a bit off topic... I'm guessing that these are hollow, and that 3D printing is a convenient/useful way to make a hollow crank arm??

No idea how practical or marketable it is, but it's an interesting approach towards creating a hollow structure that avoids some issues with other methods of creating a hollow structure. I'm thinking of the problems I've heard about with Shimano's cranks that have two halves glued together.

Steve in Peoria
Old 07-15-23, 02:24 PM
mhespenheide 

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, LeMond Victoire, Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn "Paramount" PDG, '83 Trek 640

Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
When did that {riders on one bike, finishing on the bike they started with} happen? During the Desgrange idiocy?
Yes. There's a relatively famous story of Eugene Christophe using a blacksmith's forge to repair his own fork during the Tour: https://www.welovecycling.com/wide/2...the-1913-tour/. He's the same Christophe of the toe strap fame, by the way.

More recently, NORBA mountain bike racing started out by requiring that racers had to do their own repairs and complete their race on the bike they started the race on. That changed when the UCI got involved, which did not endear them to many of the "old guard" mountain bike racers of the time, who felt it went against the adventure and self-sufficiency ethos of the earlier races.
Likes For mhespenheide:
Old 07-15-23, 02:26 PM
mhespenheide 

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, LeMond Victoire, Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn "Paramount" PDG, '83 Trek 640

Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
wandering a bit off topic... I'm guessing that these are hollow, and that 3D printing is a convenient/useful way to make a hollow crank arm??

No idea how practical or marketable it is, but it's an interesting approach towards creating a hollow structure that avoids some issues with other methods of creating a hollow structure. I'm thinking of the problems I've heard about with Shimano's cranks that have two halves glued together.

Steve in Peoria
It's not practical. It's just cool. And some buyers are willing to pay for that (literally and metaphorically). Amongst modern components, even Cane Creek is upfront about the fact that it's not really a "better" crank than the aluminum or carbon options.
Old 07-15-23, 02:58 PM
Schlafen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 63 Posts
3D printing is not going to solve making inexpensive vintage bike parts anytime soon. The first problem, one needs to make a computer model of the part. Some parts are simple, and would not take a CAD designer long to create. More complex parts can be time consuming even for an expert. It's unlikely an amateur, who would also have to have the CAD software, could do this without a long learning curve. The next problem is this fabrication method requires expensive machines and raw material to make strong metal parts. Most hobby machines make plastic parts that ​have low strength. Also the finish and dimensional tolerance tends to be lower than can be achieved with traditional fabrication methods. Bicycle parts that fail during use can cause injury or death, testing is a good idea.

Jim Merz
You can literally 3D scan a part with your iPhone and send it to one of the 100's of companies out there that can print your 3D file, you don't have to do everything yourself, fella.
Your result will ony be as goood as the file/scan you create. If you want to use CAD that's up to you and your result will most likely be better, I'm just saying that this option has been available for years now and it will only get better and cheaper.
Old 07-15-23, 03:59 PM
iab

I'm puzzled by what the argument is about. Change incentives
That's my point. You can't change sporting incentives. For 3,000 years it has been about the biggest, fastest, farthest, highest, etc. Change that, sports dies. Just that simple. So the idea of bike racing not being about the fastest is ludicrous. "Change incentives" so bike racing isn't about the fastest, bike racing goes the way of the buggy whip.
Old 07-15-23, 04:05 PM
Atlas Shrugged

You can literally 3D scan a part with your iPhone and send it to one of the 100's of companies out there that can print your 3D file, you don't have to do everything yourself, fella.
Your result will ony be as goood as the file/scan you create. If you want to use CAD that's up to you and your result will most likely be better, I'm just saying that this option has been available for years now and it will only get better and cheaper.
Really, you don’t have a clue! Your going to lecture someone who has spent their life designing and manufacturing bicycle components from scratch. There is a lot more to this than reading a Popular Mechanics article. Try something simple like a brake pad holder and tell me how that goes for you.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 07-15-23, 05:57 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,396 Times in 2,093 Posts
No need to be crass. Both you and Jim have valid points.

Steel 3D printing isn't cheap nor that accessible right now, and it doesn't necessarily work for all parts (e.g., the brake holders Atlas Shrugged mentioned). However, I can get some really nice parts printed in stainless by Shapeways - within the mechanical limitations of 3D printing - if I want to pay through the nose.

Granted, I am pretty competent in Cinema4D and decent in Blender, and can create fairly accurate models with them, while not everyone has that ability. 3D scanning is getting there, but it can't create a really clean set of polygons...yet. On the flip side, those who do know how to make 3D models from scratch (rather than scanning) and have a suitable workflow for printing in steel could be poised to become independent parts suppliers. However, I haven't seen subcontracted steel printing become affordable enough to allow this to become widespread.

However, I can 100% see this method being used right now by one person to replace a difficult-to-get small part, if they have the skills and are determined enough. Campagnolo Victory upper pivot bolt stops, for instance. Such a part is well within my ability to model and Shapeways' ability to print. But it is too costly to be practical. I could model one, have an expensive test made via Shapeways, verify it works, and then eventually put it up on my Shapeways store for the community, but it'd be $10-20 more than anyone would pay + I'd probably have hours of time into something not worth the effort.

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 07-15-23 at 06:01 PM.
Likes For cudak888:
Old 07-15-23, 06:14 PM
Portlandjim

Bridgestone fork crown

[QUOTE=merziac;22954178]So this was actually you?

No, the crown I worked on was for a road bike. I don't have a drawing or photo of it. Tom was designing it for Bridgestone USA. He asked me to make a computer model of his sketch, which I did. So, I didn't directly work for Bridgestone. I don't know if they ever used it or not. Jim
Likes For Portlandjim:
Old 07-15-23, 06:52 PM
iab

Originally Posted by cudak888

Steel 3D printing isn't cheap
$22.47. 316 stainless. Just sayin.

https://craftcloud3d.com/

Likes For iab:
Old 07-15-23, 07:10 PM
Portlandjim

3D printing used to break the hour record. Story here: https://velo.outsideonline.com/road/...is-3d-printed/

Jim Merz
Likes For Portlandjim:
Old 07-15-23, 07:14 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Originally Posted by iab
$22.47. 316 stainless. Just sayin.

https://craftcloud3d.com/

If you believe that I have a bridge to sell you in London.
Old 07-15-23, 07:16 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,331 Times in 837 Posts
We are having a parallel discussion on Passatworld.com, regarding continuing parts and service availability for the beloved B5 generation (1996-2001) Audi A4s and A6s and VW Passats. People who (mistakenly and naively) rely on dealerships for parts or service are getting cut off at the 20-year mark. When a friend experienced this phenomenon with her Vanagon, I told her to see my local VW/Audi independent shop. I am not yet too worried, because I have superb VCDS scanning software from Ross-Tech and the other tools and knowledge needed to do my own diagnostics and light repairs, and my indie shop that does the heavy lifting (literally) lets me bring in my own parts, but a few parts, particularly plastics like coolant expansion tanks and windscreen washer fluid tanks, are getting scarce. My next car will likely be electric, and I am very concerned about issues such as right to repair.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.