Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Amtrak Shut Down Again in San Clemente (Jan 2024)

Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-24, 03:06 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1804 Post(s)
Liked 1,444 Times in 993 Posts

Another day, another hillside giving way above the train tracks. This time its just north of the San Clemente Pier, north of the Casa Romantica slide, Its on a steeper slope that where Casa Romantica is so it might completely collapse and bury the tracks. No word on when it will re-open.

Officials don't know how long closure of San Diego-Orange County rail line will last (msn.com)
Old 01-27-24, 03:26 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
San Clemency. Is that where they have the Nixon library?
Old 01-27-24, 04:18 PM
mackgoo

Bikes: 87 Bianchi X4, 95 Bianchi Ti Mega Tube, 06 Alan Carbon Cross X33, Gold plated Columbus AIR Guerciotti, 74 Galmozzi Super Competizione, 52 Bianchi Paris Roubaix.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 540 Times in 166 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
San Clemency. Is that where they have the Nixon library?
No. Just the house.
Old 01-27-24, 11:39 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Originally Posted by mackgoo
No. Just the house.
That's gone, too. The property was divided up and 'parted out' for multiple home lots.
Old 01-28-24, 04:38 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
feds/amtrak will eventually need to route the train tracks above/below/alongside the 5 freeway from the peñasquitos lagoon/torrey pines area all the way to the doheny beach area in dana point where the current line turns inland
towards san juan capistrano. del mar and san clemente areas only getting worse.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 01-28-24, 04:34 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Originally Posted by diphthong
feds/amtrak will eventually need to route the train tracks above/below/alongside the 5 freeway from the peñasquitos lagoon/torrey pines area all the way to the doheny beach area in dana point where the current line turns inland
I'm not familiar with the San Diego portion, but up in Orange County they'd be better off turning inland just before San Clemente around the Trestles area, going inland aways, then turning back towards San Juan Capistrano somewhere north of San Clemente, coming out around where the Ortega Hwy (SR64) meets the I-5. That would skip all of San Clemente, Capistrano Beach, and Dana Point.
Old 01-28-24, 11:50 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Originally Posted by skidder
I'm not familiar with the San Diego portion, but up in Orange County they'd be better off turning inland just before San Clemente around the Trestles area, going inland aways, then turning back towards San Juan Capistrano somewhere north of San Clemente, coming out around where the Ortega Hwy (SR64) meets the I-5. That would skip all of San Clemente, Capistrano Beach, and Dana Point.
it gets complicated around trestles because that’s where camp pendleton starts/ends along with trestles, state beaches, san onofre power plant (supposedly decommissioned). all that leads me to believe/maintain that saving the train route from del mar south to dana point south (roughly 40 miles) best/likely easiest accomplished alongside/above/below the 5 freeway.
del mar area is bad and slowly worsening but the erosion in the san clemente coastal train track areas goes from cavities to root canals and extractions. similar to california hwy 1 in and around big sur...occasionally open, often closed and for chunks of time. long-term outlook/viability not good without major bypasses/bridges/tunnels/rerouting.
bumms me out because love a la to sd century taking the amtrak up to union station in dtown la. 3 hour ride. hop on at 4:08am...arrive at 6:54am. roll southwards and either head semi-straight back to sd (via 3-4 routes) or bounce around and shoot out towards playa del rey via venice blvd and the bike path from culver city to the beach. roll down the marvin braude beach path to
redondo, cruise palos verdes peninsula, brave the harbor area, (re)emerge in long beach, hit the coast all the way to newport back bay, then angle over to the irvine train station (all the daily commuters off by that point and actually space on the train to sit down). 1.5 hrs from there to dtown sd. between camp pendleton pulling passes/accessibility for
civilian cyclists and the sd/oc train debacle, glad i've got the memories because it doesn't seem like those rides are going to be replicated any time soon.

**edit**was on the amtrak site just now and sd to la wasn't totally grounded but they are running fewer trains thru the corridor for now. e.g. monday no trains from sd to la until 7am hour where there were usually a 4am and 6am train northbound. checked 2nd week of february and things looked
largely restored to normal. short-term gain but long-term pain down the road. and the words of the prophets are written on the train walls...only a matter of time.

Last edited by diphthong; 01-29-24 at 02:57 AM.
Old 02-03-24, 03:42 PM
cweb99

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 58 Posts
Damn im planning on a new ride to San Clemente then train to Carlsbad with the kids next week
Old 02-04-24, 07:32 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Originally Posted by cweb99
Damn im planning on a new ride to San Clemente then train to Carlsbad with the kids next week
You might want to give it a raincheck (traincheck?) as its supposed to rain all week and all that water is more than likely going to make the slide area worse.
Old 02-04-24, 10:26 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18421 Post(s)
Liked 15,569 Times in 7,335 Posts
Originally Posted by diphthong
Except neither Amtrak nor the feds own the line. Amtrak own between D.C and Boston, Philly and Harrisburg, PA and a bit in MI.
Old 02-04-24, 10:29 AM
cweb99

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by skidder
You might want to give it a raincheck (traincheck?) as its supposed to rain all week and all that water is more than likely going to make the slide area worse.
yeah rescheduling. Sux cuz we were taking my boy to LEGOLAND for his b day. Pushing it back a week now. I’ll probably just ride to San Clemente and do the train ride in spring.
Old 02-05-24, 03:23 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Except neither Amtrak nor the feds own the line. Amtrak own between D.C and Boston, Philly and Harrisburg, PA and a bit in MI.
doesn't mean the line doesn't need to be moved-long term-because it does. regardless of the powers/ca$hi$h that be involved, railroad line still needs to follow the 5 freeway through that stretch for fewer nimby lawsuits, environmental reasons, relative ease of transfer, construction viability and long-term success.
Old 02-05-24, 03:26 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Originally Posted by cweb99
may need/want to postpone till march. this storm cycle is going to absolutely trash the area. not doing the train trax any favors. hurts to type this as i'd love to take the amtrak up to/back from la/oc in the next few weeks.
Old 02-05-24, 10:28 AM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
Ooh, I'd forgotten about that! That means the BNSF robber-barons get to pay for these repairs and eventually the inland bridge to replace the trestles at Trestles, instead of the taxpayers.
Sometimes privatization actually works for the benefit of humanity. I can't see them getting the imminent domain inland though.

(Just kidding. I know a monster corporation like BNSF can afford the legal power to compel us to pay for it. Or they can out wait us--cargo is more patient than passengers.)
Old 02-05-24, 10:45 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18421 Post(s)
Liked 15,569 Times in 7,335 Posts
Originally Posted by calamarichris
Ooh, I'd forgotten about that! That means the BNSF robber-barons get to pay for these repairs and eventually the inland bridge to replace the trestles at Trestles, instead of the taxpayers.
Sometimes privatization actually works for the benefit of humanity. I can't see them getting the imminent domain inland though.

(Just kidding. I know a monster corporation like BNSF can afford the legal power to compel us to pay for it. Or they can out wait us--cargo is more patient than passengers.)
Since you know so much about the rail industry, tell us how much a total re-route would cost engineering design/construction-wise alone. (There would, of course, also be substantial land acquisition costs.) And its "eminent" domain, a power which a railroad in CA can exercise if all criteria are met.

But if you really want to think about the situation, consider the increased costs to John Q. Public from not having a viable rail corridor. For many commodities, rail transportation is cheaper than truck transportation, and way safer. There are lots of things that move by rail that you don't want that half asleep truck driver to be hauling while you are on the highway taking the kids to soccer practice. And don't forget how much the public already pays for the creation and maintenance of roads. And before you scream But I pay the federal gas tax!", realize that the last time I checked it only covers about 1/3 of federal highway spending. The rest comes from the general fund. Finally, let's not forget that a substantial portion of the population doesn't pay any federal income tax at all when the dust settles every year.
Old 02-05-24, 11:05 AM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
Since you know so much about the rail industry, tell us how much a total re-route would cost engineering design/construction-wise alone. (There would, of course, also be substantial land acquisition costs.) And its "eminent" domain, a power which a railroad in CA can exercise if all criteria are met..
You got me. I was just dippin'-n-dappin' and I know nothing about the rail industry, except that (IMO) our rails being privatized is one major reason public transportation in this country bites the big one compared to much of Asia and especially to all of Europe.

Edit: not dippin'-n-dappin' about the latter. I lived and raced in Europe (NL) for three years, and while Amtrak has made some improvements, Dutch, German, Belgian, and French trains and lines remain vastly superior to what we have even now.

Last edited by calamarichris; 02-05-24 at 11:21 AM.
Likes For calamarichris:
Old 03-20-24, 07:35 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Amtrak in South OC back up and running Monday March 25

Hopefully the temp fixes the government agencies and the railroad have implemented will hold until a permanent solution can be found:

Full train service from San Diego to Orange County resuming Monday, March 25 (10news.com)
Old 03-21-24, 08:00 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Question: The Amtrak Century

Is it going to be or not to be?
Old 03-26-24, 12:11 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 912 Times in 275 Posts
more like Amtrak double century

JK, not sure if the line will be down that long, they were able to fix it pretty quick last yr.
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.