Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Old Fixed Gear

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-23, 03:13 PM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
Old Fixed Gear

I saw this video about a really old F.G.
My question is this, why doesn't have F.G. dropout on the rear? I thought you needed that on all F.G.
Old 01-06-23, 04:09 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
It has horizontal dropouts. As long as you can move the rear wheel forward or aft, you're good.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 01-06-23, 10:49 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4356 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Kid
I saw this video about a really old F.G. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBDDzHcKYGg My question is this, why doesn't have F.G. dropout on the rear? I thought you needed that on all F.G.
Track ends are nice but not required you really just need a way to tension the chain and a good way to secure the wheel so it doesn't move. You do that you are fine but if you have track ends you are finer.

I like he didn't really restore the bike to pristine. I do love to see everything polished and nice but I also like to see the patina and looking more properly aged.
Old 01-06-23, 11:42 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,929 Times in 2,554 Posts
The rear facing slot on fix gears is a track end, not a dropout. The dropout was invented (of at least became common) when derailleurs came along because it made removing the wheel much easier and faster.

That said, dropouts work very well for fix gears and have the same benefit of faster wheel removal. There are no drawbacks inherently to dropouts as long as you have nuts that properly grip the dropout and you tighten them sufficiently. I've never owned track ends. All my many miles of fix gear riding have happened on dropouts.

A tip if you run dropouts and want to use a flip-flop hub for on the road (but stopped) gear changes - use a chain peg; the peg usually brazed onto the chainstay of steel race bikes to hang the chain while the wheel is off. No peg? Got fender eyes? Make one. It's easy. Get a screw to fit the eye. Nut also. thread the nut then run the screw from the inside so about a cm protrudes. Tighten the nut against the eye. Now, the easy,clean hands wheel flip. (The Pedros Trixie is the perfect tool.) Loosen nuts, slide wheel forward. Pick up the chain with the spanner and drop it on your new peg. Flip wheel and reverse the process. Done; with clean hands. You can use the peg for flats also. Just lay the bike down on the drive side.

I frankly do not understand why anyone would want track ends for road fix gears. Yes, it's the deal if you start with a track bike but a bike built specifically for the road?