Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Best ratio for keeping up with road bikes on mixed terrain

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-22, 12:52 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts

Hey guys, I joined a group with a 42x18 ss and had trouble keeping up on flats and long straight descents, but it was a pretty savage ratio on the hills (Huddart park for Bay Area folks.) Have you played around with ratios to try and keep up with road bikes? It’s hard to imagine getting up some of the steeper hills with a heavier ratio than what I’ve got
Old 12-28-22, 02:41 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
Find a gear that works for you! For me that was generally 42x16 back in the day and now 46x17 but that is me. You probably want to ride a road bike with other road bikers if you are having trouble or just don't bother keeping up with them and go on your own ride, they might appreciate it more. On descents on a fixed gear unless running a ridiculous gear you couldn't run elsewhere except downhill there is no gear you won't likely spin out on it is downhill.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 12-28-22, 07:02 PM
Ymerej
FIXED GEAR

Bikes: 2019 tarmac pro disc 2020 allez sprint track

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 14 Posts
That’s a very personal question every body has different fitness levels. No matter what you are always in the wrong gear when riding fixed gear on the road. Best thing to do is find what gear works for you and do your thing, if you can keep up Roadies that’s great and if you can’t that’s fine to. Fwiw I run 51x17 and at times it’s a SOB but constantly striving to get stronger and faster
just try to find a everything gear that does it all.
Likes For Ymerej:
Old 12-29-22, 06:16 AM
acoustophile

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 59 Posts
As already stated, this is a personal thing an depends on your strengths. Assuming that you want to ride on the slower side average of 20-25km/h (12.4-15.5 mph), running a 42x18 (assuming 23c tires), you'd need to average around 70rpm just to hold the low end speed of that range. Increasing the cadence to 85 RPM would get you into the upper echelon around 16mph but that would be hard to hold down for long periods of time. Competitive cyclists pedal at an average cadence of 80 to 105 RPM. None of this even takes into account watts.

I would measure the average cadence that you can sustain for long periods of time and your desired speed on flat ground and play with gearing from there.
https://www.bikecalc.com/speed_at_cadence

Likes For acoustophile:
Old 12-29-22, 09:15 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Riding fixed with a road group on mixed terrain pretty much guarantees that you will be dropped on the hills. Too low a gear, and you'll be dropped on the downhill; too high a gear, and you'll be dropped on the uphill. Personal choice will dictate which gear/group/routes work for you.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 12-29-22, 03:11 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
IMO, "keeping up with road bikes" while "getting up steeper hills" calls for a different tool than SS. Personally, I gear for the hills (approx. 63 gear inches on most of my SS bikes), and let the roadies wait for me on the fast flats.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 12-31-22, 12:19 PM
mrmb

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
You are basically trying to defy the laws of physics.

Anything that helps you going uphill, hurts you going downhill and visa versa. The ideal gearing for the flats, will hurt you on hills.

There is no free lunch. Sorry.

Find a combo that works most of the time and deal it when it doesn’t work so well.
Old 12-31-22, 04:16 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
63 gear inches fixed or singlespeed is one of my favorite gear ratios for all around riding which includes pavement, gravel , some hills and some mild singletrack...but there is no way that I can keep up with roadies and their geared bikes on the flats. I get passed left and right when on the flats. If your goal is to keep up with the group then you need to get a geared bike.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 12-31-22, 05:46 PM
LarrySellerz

My ratio is 61.3 gear inches, and the ride in question attempts to stay together for the flats and goes all out on hills. I could kind of keep up on the flats but I have to be careful not to eat wind because I’m wasting a lot of energy pedaling at a high cadence. My legs were fresh for climbing though, it was an interesting workout.
Old 12-31-22, 06:20 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
My ratio is 61.3 gear inches.
I am using 42 x 18 with 700 x 45mm gravel tires and it works out to be 65 GI... one of my other bikes also has 42 x 18 drivetrain but with 32 mm tires and that works out to 62.9 GI.
Old 01-01-23, 11:27 AM
LarrySellerz

I just plugged in into an online calculator, weird how we are getting different numbers. The wheel diameter shouldn’t be effected by tire size
Old 01-01-23, 12:19 PM
wolfchild
Banned

I just plugged in into an online calculator, weird how we are getting different numbers. The wheel diameter shouldn’t be effected by tire size
Wheel / tire size definitely has an effect on gear ratio. It's small but the difference is noticeable when riding
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 01-02-23, 03:50 PM
SnailMaster

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To restate what’s been said, it’s a personal thing based on so many factors. I spend a lot of time on my bike, lots of hill-climbing (12-15% grade max on most rides), descending, skidding, etc. I am 40, and in pretty good shape. I ride about 30+ miles a day and I swear by 42-20, but then I can rarely go above 25 mph. That being said I usually pass the road bikers about half way up the hill. And I corner pretty fast and spend a lot of time on steep narrow and twisting roads, so my skidding and cornering also provides some advantage there.

Last edited by SnailMaster; 01-02-23 at 04:30 PM.
Old 01-03-23, 10:07 AM
Rolla

Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Tires are usually about as tall as they are wide, so tire size absolutely affects overall wheel diameter and thus gear inches. Bigger tire = bigger wheel = bigger gear.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 01-03-23, 01:04 PM
bensanford

Bikes: Eisentraut Track Bike, Waterford Track Bike, CIOCC Road Bike, Schwinn Paramount Road Bike, Cinelli SC Road Bike, Rotrax Path Racer

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Fixed vs. Single-speed

Originally Posted by wolfchild
63 gear inches fixed or singlespeed is one of my favorite gear ratios for all around riding which includes pavement, gravel , some hills and some mild singletrack...but there is no way that I can keep up with roadies and their geared bikes on the flats. I get passed left and right when on the flats. If your goal is to keep up with the group then you need to get a geared bike.
I find that fixed is vastly different from single-speed and prefer fixed. It is easier to climb in a higher gear on fixed-gear than on a freewheel bike. Since the pedals move forward when the bike is moving, it helps the pedals push through the dead spots at the top and bottom of the pedal stroke, so I can climb slopes on fixed at 69-gear inches, where I would probably shift down to something like 42-24 or 42-26 if climbing the same slope on a regular road bike. I generally use about 69 gear-inches on the road when on fixed-gear - so I have 42-16 on one bike, and 44-17 on another. I shifted to a higher gear (44-18) on a long relatively flat ride to better keep up with other road bikes.

If using a freewheel on a single-speed you are somewhat forced to ride a lower gear to climb, and that makes it even more difficult to keep up on the flats.

Regardless, keeping up with the road bikes will also depend a lot on the terrain. Rolling hills (even short and steep) are much better that longer slopes. Keep the horizontal wavelength short . Mile long climbs or Decents would be a problem keeping up on the downhills. Tailwinds would also pose a problem.

Riding fixed generally forces you to attack the hills - keeping your momentum up from the downhills to get up the next slope, and that means being able to spin at high cadences. In excess of 150 RPM is possible for short periods...
Likes For bensanford:
Old 01-04-23, 07:26 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 694 Posts
The older British cycling manuals used to suggest a 65-in gear for freewheeling bikes; the medium gear ratio time trial folks used to set an upper limit of 72 fixed gear inches. I've been running right around 70 fixed inches for 24 years over the rolling terrain of what the realtors have taken to calling South Carolina's Lakelands with a fair bit of success, including club rides with roadies - but NOT hammerfest rides. As mentioned earlier, one attacks on the climbs, learns to love to dance on the pedals as the momentum slows, and to perfect spinning as smoothly as possible on descents. It helps if you ride with people who are familiar with fixed gears and understand they will need to pass you on descents.

I am in bensanford's camp - I vastly prefer fixed to single speed for climbing, for the same reasons he outlines.

Not mentioned so far, but be sure the frame geometry works for you on the bike to get the fullest use of all of your muscle groups. I like dropped bars because they provide different positions that help with getting into a spinning position, sitting way back on the saddle whilst gripping the bars near the stem and "turning 'em 'round" a la 1950s British club cycling doctrine, grabbing the brake lever hoods to stand and honk up the steep bits, and going down to the drops to muscle up short sharp uphill moments. I run 42x16 and 45x17 on the two bikess with 28 mm tires and 44x17 on the bike with 35 mm rubber.
Likes For rustystrings61:
Old 01-10-23, 08:53 PM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
IMO, "keeping up with road bikes" while "getting up steeper hills" calls for a different tool than SS. Personally, I gear for the hills (approx. 63 gear inches on most of my SS bikes), and let the roadies wait for me on the fast flats.
Truth. You can "keep up with the road bikes" or "get up steeper hills". Choose one.😉
Old 01-11-23, 06:59 AM
IAmSam

Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 136 Posts
Back in younger days I spent many weekend mornings bird-dogging roadie groups on my sw8 phiksie...even caught-up with some occasionally.
In fact it was kind of built as a roadie chaser

I never met a serious group that could not drop me at will...
Old 01-11-23, 12:28 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
Originally Posted by bensanford
I find that fixed is vastly different from single-speed and prefer fixed. It is easier to climb in a higher gear on fixed-gear than on a freewheel bike. Since the pedals move forward when the bike is moving, it helps the pedals push through the dead spots at the top and bottom of the pedal stroke, so I can climb slopes on fixed at 69-gear inches, where I would probably shift down to something like 42-24 or 42-26 if climbing the same slope on a regular road bike. I generally use about 69 gear-inches on the road when on fixed-gear - so I have 42-16 on one bike, and 44-17 on another. I shifted to a higher gear (44-18) on a long relatively flat ride to better keep up with other road bikes.

If using a freewheel on a single-speed you are somewhat forced to ride a lower gear to climb, and that makes it even more difficult to keep up on the flats.

Regardless, keeping up with the road bikes will also depend a lot on the terrain. Rolling hills (even short and steep) are much better that longer slopes. Keep the horizontal wavelength short . Mile long climbs or Decents would be a problem keeping up on the downhills. Tailwinds would also pose a problem.

Riding fixed generally forces you to attack the hills - keeping your momentum up from the downhills to get up the next slope, and that means being able to spin at high cadences. In excess of 150 RPM is possible for short periods...
Yo you gotta post pictures of your Eisentraut here! Get those 10 posts and get those pictures loaded.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 01-11-23, 08:01 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Back in my early 60s, I led a group ride series of mixed fixed, SS, and geared bikes. I used 42 X 17 SS with 23mm tires. The climbs were tough - up to 10%, but i could coast on the descents and keep up on the flat with the geared bikes as long as I was sitting in. I remember long stretches of 135 cadence in the paceline, so at least 25 mph, maybe more, I don't remember. I couldn't hold over 20 mph pulling. I was one of the weaker riders. I'm a good descender though, so what I lost on the climbs I could make up on the descents and get back on. With a SS it worked out well, really improved my spin. I used my ordinary road bike and just didn't shift. The series didn't make me any faster on rides when I could shift though. I was surprised at that. I think that's called the rule of specificity.
Old 01-13-23, 03:05 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by rustystrings61
The older British cycling manuals used to suggest a 65-in gear for freewheeling bikes; the medium gear ratio time trial folks used to set an upper limit of 72 fixed gear inches. I've been running right around 70 fixed inches for 24 years over... rolling terrain...
I think I first read about "medium gear" on Steve Morris's site, and promptly fell in love with the idea for all-around riding. My spring/summer/fall gear has been roughly 71" ever since.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 01-14-23, 06:28 AM
beng1
Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
Easy way to keep up with multi-speed bikes on a single-speed is to make sure those you ride with are decades older than you, solved.
I always wonder why people have a hard time figuring out what ratio they need for a single-speed bike, don't they know what ratios they used to ride in when on their multi-speed road-bike ??? The gear ratio I used for almost all of my riding on my ten-speed Huffy road bike was a 52/19, so when I built up my "LeToaster" single-speed coaster-braked bike, I put a 52/20 on it and it is absolutely perfect, I nailed it first time. It is of course a bit slower on level road, but I was always able to go a bit faster than most I rode with so that is no problem, and the extra tooth on the back works fine for grades up to around 5%, if they get steeper than that I just get off and have a nice walk. I would never expect that there was some magic ratio that would let a single speed keep up with a multi-speed bike, nobody with any education would.
Likes For beng1:
Old 01-14-23, 06:45 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2483 Post(s)
Liked 2,955 Times in 1,678 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
I think I first read about "medium gear" on Steve Morris's site, and promptly fell in love with the idea for all-around riding. My spring/summer/fall gear has been roughly 71" ever since.
Yep. I've been riding approx. 71" fixed gear since 1964. Starting to feel it in my knees, though. Probably time to give up on fixed for me.
Old 01-14-23, 09:11 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 490 Posts
When my derailleur went bust at one time, I rode 46T-14T, and that was fine for flat (tiny hills), so now, as I am building my first fixed-gear, it'll be 50T-16T, which is about the same. I have no illusions of getting up big hills, though, so unless it is a slow group (I ride with some), I'll do it alone. I'd rather walk it up the big hills than to constantly spin out on flats.
Yoga and Kung-Fu stance work are key for the up-hills.

Last edited by 1989Pre; 01-14-23 at 09:19 AM.
Old 01-18-23, 09:24 AM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
My old commute across the Narrows was probably similar terrain. Before my hip failed, I would keep up with coworkers on the commute on a 39/18. That would require a few seconds spun up to ~200rpm on some of the descents, but it was low enough I could keep touch on the way back up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.