Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Anyone try out the CarBack?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Anyone try out the CarBack?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-24, 03:27 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4275 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 951 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Yeah, it was never advertised much. I guess there wasn’t enough demand. But it shows that they were aiming at a market for the Varia beyond racers who would have a dedicated head unit as a matter of course. I guess the phone app was preferred by the more casual Varia users or simply that it is only racers and club cyclists who are actually buying the Varia. It is a fairly expensive gadget that many casual cyclists will be totally unaware of.
So, the Varia was originally created by a company Garmin ended-up buying.

That company also created the display unit because, of course, they didn’t have head units of their own (their device needed the display unit).

When Garmin bought the company, they quickly released the device as it was originally designed.

It’s fairly likely that if Garmin created it, it would not have also created a display unit for it.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/10/....html#comments
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 04-26-24, 06:15 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3173 Post(s)
Liked 1,725 Times in 1,043 Posts
This link might be better for those wanting to understand the iKubu backstory to Varia:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/01/...r-company.html
Likes For chaadster:
Old 04-26-24, 09:12 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2254 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,820 Posts
Garmin even has [had] a dedicated Varia display unit too. So you can use a Varia without a GPS or a phone. I guess this caters for commuters and casual cyclists who don’t have a GPS unit or want their phone on the bars.
I didn't realize it was past-tense until I tried to find one a few weeks ago. The $100 price tag seems steep, but I wound up getting an 840 for the kid for whom I had purchased the radar (on sale at REI for $150). C'est la bike.
Old 04-26-24, 09:48 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

The USB-C cable is a real game-changer:

(From Trek's website. You just can't make this stuff up.)
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 04-26-24, 11:20 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 7043 Post(s)
Liked 11,087 Times in 4,737 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
That CarBack is USB-C is the most attractive thing about it.
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
The USB-C cable is a real game-changer:
These sorts of laudatory remarks about USB-C pop up now and then, and I'm wondering why USB-C is deemed so superior to -- what? is it USB-B? I don't really pay attention to such things. I guess USB-C might charge devices faster, but is there some other advantage? I mean, I've got devices with a few different types of charging ports, so I just have one or two of each on my workbench near the outlet where I charge those devices.
Old 04-26-24, 11:29 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4466 Post(s)
Liked 4,941 Times in 3,055 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
These sorts of laudatory remarks about USB-C pop up now and then, and I'm wondering why USB-C is deemed so superior to -- what? is it USB-B? I don't really pay attention to such things. I guess USB-C might charge devices faster, but is there some other advantage? I mean, I've got devices with a few different types of charging ports, so I just have one or two of each on my workbench near the outlet where I charge those devices.
The best I can come up with is that USB-C is perhaps a slightly less fragile connector than the older micro USB and can be plugged in either way around. Not exactly a game-changer though.
Old 04-26-24, 11:38 AM
Koyote

The best I can come up with is that USB-C is perhaps a slightly less fragile connector than the older micro USB and can be plugged in either way around. Not exactly a game-changer though.
Well, I've occasionally had to squint at the micro USB in order to get it inserted properly (since I'm not always wearing my reading glasses), but I've never broken one even when trying to ram it in the wrong way. And if charging speed differs, well, that might be an advantage for some people, but not for me. If the light (or computer, or whatever) is on the low side of a full charge, I just plug it in and then unplug it the next day.

I'm still wondering if there is something else that I'm missing.
Old 04-26-24, 11:41 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,320 Times in 1,122 Posts
I like USB C for the simplicity of being able to plug in either way like Apples Lightning ports were. But I agree that it isn't particularly a game changer and I probably wouldn't make my decision on the USB plug alone. But I do hope that USB C is going to be a format that will be around a while to eliminate all the cords and connectors we have currently.

I am wanting to get a rear radar light combo though. I think in this case I would probably lean toward the Garmin because I have had issues with my Bontrager lights working as expected with my Garmin Edge. I don't know if that is Bontrager's fault or Garmin's because I also don't get a reliable connection between my Forerunner and my Edge when I broadcast my HR from the Forerunner.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 04-26-24, 12:37 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mine was sarcastic. Did you look at their advertising photo? It goes from computer USB-C to an Apple adaptor with USB-A so that the Trek supplied USB-A-to-USB-C cable can plug into the USB-C port on the radar.

(Trek should at least also supply a USB-C to USB-C cable, so you could simply plug one cable in between the radar and the laptop or USB-C power supply.)

USB-C does, however, have one huge advantage: The port is not directional. You don't have to try 3 times to get it right (yeah, I know you should only have to try twice, but reality bytes.)
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 04-26-24, 12:45 PM
Koyote

Mine was sarcastic. Did you look at their advertising photo? It goes from computer USB-C to an Apple adaptor with USB-A so that the Trek supplied USB-A-to-USB-C cable can plug into the USB-C port on the radar.

(Trek should at least also supply a USB-C to USB-C cable, so you could simply plug one cable in between the radar and the laptop or USB-C power supply.)

USB-C does, however, have one huge advantage: The port is not directional. You don't have to try 3 times to get it right (yeah, I know you should only have to try twice, but reality bytes.)
Yeah, I knew that was /s -- but figured you might know anyway.

Yeah, the symmetric plug/port should save each of us about two minutes over our lifetimes...'Course, I feel like I have already lost more than that just sorting out different cables.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-26-24, 12:48 PM
PeteHski

Well, I've occasionally had to squint at the micro USB in order to get it inserted properly (since I'm not always wearing my reading glasses), but I've never broken one even when trying to ram it in the wrong way. And if charging speed differs, well, that might be an advantage for some people, but not for me. If the light (or computer, or whatever) is on the low side of a full charge, I just plug it in and then unplug it the next day.

I'm still wondering if there is something else that I'm missing.
I don’t think it would even charge faster anyway. I know that USB-C has a higher power rating, but most of my chargers are USB-A anyway.

Last edited by PeteHski; 04-26-24 at 12:57 PM.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 04-26-24, 12:51 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

I don’t think it would even charge faster anyway.
Just to make absolutely sure, Trek supples it with a USB C to A cable.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 04-26-24, 12:56 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Yeah, I knew that was /s -- but figured you might know anyway.

It is in incremental improvement. In addition to being isotropic, the female USB-C is more physically robust. Each time you miss the correct orientation with the micro (or worse, mini) cable, it stresses and potentially loosens the port, leading to eventual prolapse.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 04-26-24, 01:28 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3173 Post(s)
Liked 1,725 Times in 1,043 Posts
I prefer USB-C merely because most of my other devices are USB-C, and needing only one cable is an economy and risk-reducer. It's a pretty simple notion, needing fewer cables and/or a simplified wall block.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 04-26-24, 02:11 PM
Koyote

I prefer USB-C merely because most of my other devices are USB-C, and needing only one cable is an economy and risk-reducer. It's a pretty simple notion, needing fewer cables and/or a simplified wall block.
Yeah, I figured that was an advantage for some. I'm still using plenty of older lights (and other devices) with other ports, since they still work fine.
Old 04-26-24, 03:24 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4275 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 951 Posts
Yeah, I figured that was an advantage for some. I'm still using plenty of older lights (and other devices) with other ports, since they still work fine.
No reason to throw them out (no one is suggesting that you do that).

USB-C is the current standard. That's enough to have new devices use it.

It doesn't matter too much that you aren't going to get much benefit from the change.

I suspect more people would prefer USB-C. The people who don't are going to have to deal with the change anyway (if they buy any new device). Manufacturers aren't going to make two devices (with different connectors).
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 04-26-24, 04:30 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3,004 Times in 1,931 Posts
commonality with other devices, as well as the ease of plugging it in.
Old 04-27-24, 04:13 AM
PeteHski

You are doing well there. I have many devices with the various sizes of USB-A and a growing number with USB-C. It would be nice to have all devices with a single connector and USB-C is a better connector. But it wouldn’t influence my buying decision either way on this product. At least my Garmin Edge 530, Varia and SRAM battery charger all use the same cable, even if it is outdated and uni-directional.

What I find funny is that most devices I buy with USB-C are supplied with a USB-A to C cable and this appears to be the case here. It’s like they know that most people are still using USB-A chargers.

Post #54 says it all 😂
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 04-27-24, 04:23 AM
Troul 

With time comes standardized changes; manual transmissions were once standard in America, not the case now.
Old 04-27-24, 05:33 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Troul
With time comes standardized changes; manual transmissions were once standard in America, not the case now.
Connector standards occasionally benefit from change. Otherwise we would all be stuck using RS232 serial connectors. The original FireWire connector also looks ridiculous today, but was considered compact on release. I’m sure USB-C will look stupid in 20 years too.
Old 04-27-24, 10:09 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

My wife just went to England with a few electronics. Her iPhone uses a USB-A to (proprietary) lightning cable, as does her iPad. But her laptop uses a USB-C to proprietary magnetic-safe connection, and can also accept USB-C directly. Her Garmin Watch uses USB-A to proprietary connector. She took my headphones, and I forgot they need to charge via a USB-mini cable, so neglected to send it. (She just hates this stuff and is under a lot of stress because she is attending her brother who lives alone and had multiple strokes, and the last thing she wants to worry about is a huge tangle of assorted cables and a pile of chargers, along with some UK/US plug adaptors.) The chances of her losing half this stuff are significant, and it winds up being a real PITA. Ideally she should only need a USB-C/USB-C cable and a power supply/adapter. One cable standard to rule them all.

I have a box in the garage that has a huge collection of cables and obsolete apple adapters, including Firewire 800 and 400, and and the version 1 iPod (4G, Firewire, mechanical dial). This is just a huge amount of waste. (Time waste, E-waste, space-waste, resources waste ...).
Old 04-28-24, 04:30 AM
PeteHski

My wife just went to England with a few electronics. Her iPhone uses a USB-A to (proprietary) lightning cable, as does her iPad. But her laptop uses a USB-C to proprietary magnetic-safe connection, and can also accept USB-C directly. Her Garmin Watch uses USB-A to proprietary connector. She took my headphones, and I forgot they need to charge via a USB-mini cable, so neglected to send it. (She just hates this stuff and is under a lot of stress because she is attending her brother who lives alone and had multiple strokes, and the last thing she wants to worry about is a huge tangle of assorted cables and a pile of chargers, along with some UK/US plug adaptors.) The chances of her losing half this stuff are significant, and it winds up being a real PITA. Ideally she should only need a USB-C/USB-C cable and a power supply/adapter. One cable standard to rule them all.

I have a box in the garage that has a huge collection of cables and obsolete apple adapters, including Firewire 800 and 400, and and the version 1 iPod (4G, Firewire, mechanical dial). This is just a huge amount of waste. (Time waste, E-waste, space-waste, resources waste ...).
While I totally agree it is a complete mess, at what point do you decide that a single connector is good enough for every application, forever? USB-C is a vast improvement over anything that was available 20 years ago, but will it still cut it in another 20 years? History suggests probably not.

It would have been great if USB-C had been invented in 1960 and adopted as a universal fixed standard moving forward. Then your wife wouldn’t now be faced with these multiple legacy connector issues. But of course the technology didn’t exist in 1960 and I doubt she would be happy if all her current devices used an RS232 connector. Although she would only need one cable.

Edit: I happen to have one of those original iPods with the mechanical scroll wheel and FireWire connector. I dug it out and the first thing that struck me was how big that connector now looks today. There is no way that would work on a modern phone or even a slim laptop!

Last edited by PeteHski; 04-28-24 at 04:34 AM.
Old 04-28-24, 05:09 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Wireless charging is the future.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 04-28-24, 06:18 AM
PeteHski

It works very well for some applications, but not all. I do find wireless phone chargers convenient in the car.
Old 04-28-24, 06:59 AM
Troul 

that is the tech advancement I'm looking forward to seeing come sooner than later.
that should drive better protection against wet & dust intrusion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.