Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

100 mile ride report: hardest I've ever done

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-12, 09:01 AM
wkndwarrior
BlueTrekker

Bikes: Trek 1.2 triple

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My first century.

Taking last week's lesson to heart, I drank lots of water leading up to and during the event... and boy I'm glad I did.

But, the day before, I had to go help a friend move to a new house. I knew that wouldn't help my performance during the century, but they've come through for me before, so it was the least I could do... friends are important, right? Then we had pizza and beer (I know, I know).

Got up at 5 am, got there early enough as to not rush to pick up my packet (it was an organized ride) and prep my bike and gear. Met up with my group. Nothing interesting in the beginning, except that my group decided to stay together and go at a 20 mph pace.

I was thinking, "WTF are they crazy? This is a 100 miler we're doing!" I was hoping we'd pace at 17 or 18 mph to save ourselves for the last 50 miles (this was basically an out and back century). We did have a minor tailwind though. 19.4 mph avg for the first 50 miles with 1 rest stop - just like the first 50 miles of that 75 miler I did the week before. I know, I know, I promised myself that I'll pace myself. However, I was in a paceline and had I solo'ed the first 50 miles, my avg would've been lower.

By 50 miles, I was already feeling a bit cooked, and the winds were increasing, gusting to 20+ mph. And it's time for us to turn around... into the wind. Never had done 50 miles with the wind in my face the whole way. 10, 15, maybe 20 miles into the wind - yes, but 50 miles of suffering? I was about to check that off the list that day!

At 60 miles with the group, the group leader kept accelerating and making us all suffer by us having to close the gaps he was creating, I decided, "Eff it, let them go, I'll go on my own pace", slowed to a 13-15 mph slog into the wind, or 6 mph up 6-8% climbs that seemed to go on forever. Against the wind.

Temps soaring into the upper 80s, humidity so thick you could slice through it with a butter knife. Thoughts creeping into my head about throwing in the towel and sagging it home. Negative thoughts about how I suck at cycling, that I'm not a good climber, that I'm just a lazy wheelsucker in my group, that my group has been getting faster and I'm getting slower, blah blah blah.

Then I told my voices to "shut the **** up and let me ride!" Kept going, albeit slowly. One rest stop at a time. Regrouped. Ate. Drank. Made sure I didn't get thirsty or hungry. Kept checking to see if my piss isn't getting a shade too dark yellow.

At 80 miles, thoughts about giving up intensified almost to the breaking point. The SAG trucks with riders and bikes filling into them became the Sirens as they were to Ulysses. The tug pulling me to the SAG trucks were ever so strong, and there was no tying me to a mast or telephone pole to keep me away from the SAG trucks. But I was stubborn.

At least there was one final and hardest climb and the rest of the way would be relatively flat. Figured if I did that one last climb, I'd just roll to the finish. No SAG. After that brutal climb, things actually became easier and I caught up with my group and we finished the 100 together.

Moving time read 6 hours 20 min (15.8 avg), total time a little over 8 hours including time spent at the rest stops. The hardest part of the ride was between 50 and 82 miles, that was when I was really hurting. Being with the group really made it worthwhile, too. Several people in my group actually took shorter routes, or took the SAG back to the finish, and yet others who had completed the full 100 said it was the hardest ride they had ever done.

Hey, it wasn't supposed to be this hard
Old 04-02-12, 09:56 AM
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur TR, Cannondale Quick CX dropbar conversion & others

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
congrats. your rolling average is not bad at all.
Old 04-02-12, 09:59 AM
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!

Bikes: GMC Denali

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 31 Posts
Congratulations!
Old 04-02-12, 10:28 AM
Jeepnut22 
Klickety-Klackety

Bikes: Ones with 2 wheels...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice job! My first century will be sometime this year. Not sure when. Probably solo though...
Old 04-02-12, 10:32 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 278 Times in 146 Posts
Way to go...now you have a century under your belt! You need another
Old 04-02-12, 10:35 AM
vermilionx

Bikes: '11 Fuji SL1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
congrats!

did my century last feb and it was on hard mode. rain, gusty winds, and a little sandstorm by beach.
Old 04-02-12, 03:37 PM
dstrong 

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Interloc Impala, ParkPre Image C6

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Nice job. I don't think your group did you any favors by making you a pace beyond your comfort level. My first century was with a friend 6 years ago and I let him ride off pretty quickly. He was nice enough to wait several times before he finally rode off to the finish.

I'm a big fan of really watching my effort for the first half of a long ride and then cranking it up for the second half "countdown". One thing I've found over the years is that I'm fairly good at metering out my efforts...no matter the length of the ride, the last 20% of the miles hurt.

Good job on hydration and nutrition. Hydration was nearly my downfall last year in Waco...I got to mile 65, went to go pee and nothing came out. I suffered the rest of the way in but was able to get enough salt and water on board to not collapse completely. It wasn't as humid as your ride but it was in the 90's.

I'll be doing my first century of the year near the end of the month and will try to watch my intake better.

2014 Specialized Roubaix2003 Interloc Impala2007 ParkPre Image C6 (RIP)

Old 04-02-12, 04:51 PM
pgjackson

Bikes: Rossetti Vertigo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
Well done! Miles 80-90 are always the hardest. I was ready to drop dead at the 90-mile SAG at the Palm Springs Century a couple of months ago, and that ride is pretty flat. Headwinds always suck.
Old 04-02-12, 05:00 PM
MikeyBoyAz
Middle-Aged Member

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV 2014, TREK HIFI 2011, Argon18 E-116 2013

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome... I am planning a double metric this summer up in Idaho/Utah... I figure the suffering will be similar to that especially since I pick up 3k feet in elevation :-|
Old 04-02-12, 06:45 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked 601 Times in 314 Posts
Good ride, man!! No way I'd get past the psych factor of starting that race...I mean, century at that pace and knowing full well you are going to face that wind for the ride home. But talk about blazing up the first half.

Way to strap it on and finish strong!
Old 04-02-12, 07:01 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 207 Posts
Learning how to tell that little voice to shut the eff up is half the battle. Good job.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 04-02-12, 07:02 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 207 Posts
Learning how to tell that little voice to shut the eff up is half the battle. Good job.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 04-02-12, 07:05 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3255 Post(s)
Liked 2,545 Times in 1,523 Posts
Great job!

Being raised in Texas myself I know how the wind can suck it out of you.(Wichita Falls no less) For all non Texans, Wichita Falls, Texas is home to the mother of all summer blast furnace centuries:
https://www.hh100.org/

Anyway, way to go! I like the way you made the decision to go at it alone and then ground it out by yourself. You fought the mental demons and defeated them!
Old 04-02-12, 07:06 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3255 Post(s)
Liked 2,545 Times in 1,523 Posts
Great job!

Being raised in Texas myself I know how the wind can suck it out of you.(Wichita Falls no less) For all non Texans, Wichita Falls, Texas is home to the mother of all summer blast furnace centuries:

Anyway, way to go! I like the way you made the decision to go at it alone and then ground it out by yourself. You fought the mental demons and defeated them!
Old 04-02-12, 08:55 PM
on the path
Señor Blues

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 10, Breezer Venturi Custom Build, IRO Singlespeed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by wkndwarrior
My first century.
Hey, it wasn't supposed to be this hard
That was a pretty vivid picture you painted. Glad you made it all the way. Congratulations!

I'm pretty sure the next one will be easier...
Old 04-02-12, 09:19 PM
MrTuner1970
Underwhelming

Bikes: Lynskey R330 Ti, Dean El Vado Ti, Trek 4300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nicely done!
Old 04-02-12, 09:21 PM
krazygl00
Your Recovery Ride Buddy

Bikes: 2000 Serotta Classique, 1999 Serotta C3S Atlanta, 2004 Kona Jake the Snake, 2009 Kona Paddywagon, 2006 Kona Kula, 1980's Fuji Pursuit TT Fix/SS conversion, 1980's Torpado Super Strada, Bridgestone RB1 Synergy

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wkndwarrior
Met up with my group. Nothing interesting in the beginning, except that my group decided to stay together and go at a 20 mph pace.
At 60 miles with the group, the group leader kept accelerating and making us all suffer by us having to close the gaps he was creating.
After that brutal climb, things actually became easier and I caught up with my group and we finished the 100 together.
Several people in my group actually took shorter routes, or took the SAG back to the finish, and yet others who had completed the full 100 said it was the hardest ride they had ever done.
So basically, the ride leader didn't have a clue as to the group's riding level, convinced them to ride a faster pace than they were capable of*, kept accelerating off the front making them suffer, and many of the group SAGged it and others said it was the hardest century they'd done. And in the end your instincts about pace were better than the leader's.

Your ride leader is a complete dickweed.

*Okay, yeah I'm guessing at this part, but I bet I'm right.
Old 04-02-12, 09:38 PM
therhodeo

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Great job!

If you're used to the heat you're left with a pan flat century. Its really not that bad.
Old 04-02-12, 09:45 PM
KypD

Bikes: LeMond Zurich

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm definitely doing my first one at some point this year.....good read!
Old 04-02-12, 09:46 PM
DGlenday

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Well ridden.

And well written.
Old 04-02-12, 11:01 PM
milkbaby
blah blah blah

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good job!

Sounds like your ride leader was mad and wanted to dish out some punishment tho!
Old 04-03-12, 03:58 AM
diverguy
No longer just a beginner

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse 5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats on your first century, and a tough one to boot!
Old 04-03-12, 07:40 AM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
For most of us amateur hacks, a 20mph pace is wicked over 100 miles. I did it once, and it just crushed me. But, I'm just a guy with a fun hobby.

Pizza and beer was my fuel of choice when I did RAGBRAI. That was also the ride where, on day 3 (?), I did my fastest ever 100 miles. (That's the one I floored it at the previously mentioned pace.)

Awesome job, my friend. You should feel really good about yourself. Go crack open another cold one, and enjoy the accomplishment.
Old 04-03-12, 08:02 AM
wkndwarrior
BlueTrekker

Bikes: Trek 1.2 triple

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the kind words, guys! I do hope the next century I ride will be easier, and I will make it a personal goal to break 6 hours... or even do it in 5:45 or 5:30.

Regarding the comments about the ride leader, I should clarify something. I might have glossed over some bits of information in my original story and unintentionally made the ride leader look bad. There was more than one ride leader, actually.

In the beginning, I think everyone wanted to stay together at least for the first half, and the organizer of the group actually dropped back to stay with the folks who were struggling to keep up. The guys who continued to be in the front kept up the pace, but they did wait for everyone at the rest stops so it gave everybody a chance to regroup. Then after 50 miles, we split up into 2-3 groups... and after 60-70 miles, our pacelines fell apart and most folks were on their own anyway. We did arrange which rest stops we'd stop at so we continued to regroup at each stop.

They're actually great people and we're all friends here, and while our etiquette may not be perfect, we're all learning together and there's really no one else I would rather ride with.