Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Silly People Made of Sugar

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Silly People Made of Sugar

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-10, 11:01 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
I have a best rain bike, a back up rain bike, and a "who cares about a biblical flood" bike. They all fit the same panniers with the rain gear in it. The biggest worry I have in the rain is to remember to have a plastic bag for my cell phone, and my wallet. I have yet to be damaged by getting water on myself. I never put away a bike wet,so they never have any rain problems.
Old 06-27-10, 01:42 PM
nwmtnbkr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Novakane
Just thought I would share a little story of my ride a few minutes ago...

As my work day was winding down (I work from home) I looked in the fridge and noticed I was nearly out of beer. I looked outside and it was lightly raining, but still warm, so I made sure to put on a baseball cap to keep the rain out of my eyes and set off to the store to re-provision.

I was wearing shorts and a t-shirt and got a little bit wet (not even soaked through) and as I approached the mall I saw people hiding under awnings, afraid to run to their cars. I received so many looks of pity as I passed.

They must be all made of sugar, afraid to melt from a little rain. I would have been wetter and colder had I just stepped out of the shower than I got from my short ride. I never quite did understand the mentality that rain water = bad. I've never really minded the rain or getting soaked by it unless it was the freezing variety.
On a day like today I sometimes say to myself "that looks like a fun rain to go biking in" - and it's not the first time I've decided to go on a not-entirely-necessary bike ride in such weather. I find it refreshing.

Could it be the building-to car-to building isolation from the elements that causes people to react this way, or is that just my smugness interpreting things? .
Oh arrogant generation that we are, comfortable with our invincibility due to the fairly-recent invention of antibiotics (yes, they may have been around longer than most of us, but in context of human history, their development in the last century is significant and extremely recent). We forget that human concerns about injury and illness stem from the vast portion of our species' history, where life span was short and simple injuries or even just gettng soaking wet and chilled could kill. Don't forget that George Washington died after getting somewhat wet riding in falling snow (doctors and historians aren't exactly sure what his exact cause of death were, but it was precipitated by getting wet and chilled). Simple injuries, like a nick while shaving could result in death if sepsis set in. We should be very concerned about the over use of antibiotics and the rise of resistant strains of bacteria.
Old 06-27-10, 03:57 PM
MacCruiskeen
Junior Mint

Bikes: Trek 830

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zephyr
When Albert Einstein was a professor at Princeton University, he and his wife lived in a home adjacent to the campus. Mr Einstein would typically walk from home to class or office, or anywhere else on campus. One day upon setting off to leave home, his wife told him to take a hat because it was starting to rain outside. Mr. Einstein replied, why should I wear a hat with a little bit of rain? The hat will take hours to dry out, my hair will dry out in just a few minutes?
Yes, well, remember that on those walks, he would sometimes call the Princeton switchboard and ask where he lived, because he had forgotten.
Old 06-27-10, 04:01 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by nwmtnbkr
Oh arrogant generation that we are, comfortable with our invincibility due to the fairly-recent invention of antibiotics (yes, they may have been around longer than most of us, but in context of human history, their development in the last century is significant and extremely recent). We forget that human concerns about injury and illness stem from the vast portion of our species' history, where life span was short and simple injuries or even just gettng soaking wet and chilled could kill. Don't forget that George Washington died after getting somewhat wet riding in falling snow (doctors and historians aren't exactly sure what his exact cause of death were, but it was precipitated by getting wet and chilled). Simple injuries, like a nick while shaving could result in death if sepsis set in. We should be very concerned about the over use of antibiotics and the rise of resistant strains of bacteria.
Most modern biologists would say that infections are caused by microorganisms, not by getting cold or wet.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 06-27-10, 05:14 PM
Fasteryoufool

Bikes: 2016 Giant Escape, Univega Viva Sport, Centurion Sport DLX, Trek 420, Schwinn Sierra, Schwinn Hurricane

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Getting wet and chilled doesn't make you sick. That's nothing but an old wives tale. Bacteria do and viruses do, and being wet and cold doesn't make them more powerful, nor does it make your inherent resistance less.

Antibiotics don't affect virii anyhow. That would be a large part of the reason HIV is such a problem.
Old 06-28-10, 12:12 AM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I don't think the car-bound are made of sugar. I think they suspect they are descendants of the Wicked Witch of the West and are just playing it safe.
Old 06-28-10, 05:05 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
I don't think the car-bound are made of sugar. I think they suspect they are descendants of the Wicked Witch of the West and are just playing it safe.
I can seriously buy into that theory!

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 06-28-10, 11:55 AM
nwmtnbkr

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Roody
Most modern biologists would say that infections are caused by microorganisms, not by getting cold or wet.
Well, pick your theory, since there are so many "scientific" studies. However, there was a recent study conducted at Cardiff University in Wales found that chilling causes vasoconstriction in the nose, which has two common cold-producing effects--reduces the number of immune cells available in the nasal epithelium and slows mucous clearance, giving infectious agents more time to infect you. In addition, the body is stressed when chilled and when stressed, more susceptible to illness. Never forget, we've got lots of bacteria on our bodies. It's good that we can't see all the microorganisms in the environment.
Old 06-28-10, 11:57 AM
nwmtnbkr

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fasteryoufool
Getting wet and chilled doesn't make you sick. That's nothing but an old wives tale. Bacteria do and viruses do, and being wet and cold doesn't make them more powerful, nor does it make your inherent resistance less.

Antibiotics don't affect virii anyhow. That would be a large part of the reason HIV is such a problem.
LOL, read the University of Cardiff study.
Old 06-28-10, 01:21 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Well, pick your theory, since there are so many "scientific" studies. However, there was a recent study conducted at Cardiff University in Wales found that chilling causes vasoconstriction in the nose, which has two common cold-producing effects--reduces the number of immune cells available in the nasal epithelium and slows mucous clearance, giving infectious agents more time to infect you. In addition, the body is stressed when chilled and when stressed, more susceptible to illness. Never forget, we've got lots of bacteria on our bodies. It's good that we can't see all the microorganisms in the environment.
But the study doesn't say that chilly conditions actually cause or increase the number of colds, according to your own summary of it. Especially given that the virus and other germs don't survive well in cold air or on cold surfaces. All I can say for sure is that I get fewe colds when I keep active outdoors.

Oh, another thing is that you say the body is stressed when chilled. Well, my body never gets chilled, since I dress properly and stay active. I imagine if you sat on a snow bank in your boxers for a couple hours, you just might get sick, however.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 06-30-10, 01:58 AM
Joe_Mo
Still Believes In Joy

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail, GT Force

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LOL, read the University of Cardiff study.
believe everything you read lol
Old 06-30-10, 07:45 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
But the study doesn't say that chilly conditions actually cause or increase the number of colds, according to your own summary of it. Especially given that the virus and other germs don't survive well in cold air or on cold surfaces. All I can say for sure is that I get fewe colds when I keep active outdoors.

Oh, another thing is that you say the body is stressed when chilled. Well, my body never gets chilled, since I dress properly and stay active. I imagine if you sat on a snow bank in your boxers for a couple hours, you just might get sick, however.
For a couple of years I was a supervisor in an old factory that had poor heat and was not insulated in the manufacturing area. Also garage doors opened directly to the outside. It was around 60- 50f most of the time. At night the building got down to the 40's in the coldest weather. It was concrete and stone, the walls never got warm.
The only time I never had a cold in the winter. All the other years I was in a nice warm office or building, had plenty of colds, flu etc.
Old 07-01-10, 07:11 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
I think being inside and cooped up with other sick people is more of an issue than being outside in the weather. I work outside for a living and seldom get colds and such. Part of the reason I believe is that by being outside the body gets mild stress that strengthens the immune system, and you are not in close proximity to a bunch of sick people, the fresh air dilutes anything that you might otherwise catch.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 07-03-10, 06:13 PM
coldfeet

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Skin don't leak.

Thunderstorms? OK, treat with respect, even if the Lightning isn't a problem, really heavy rain, and definitely hail, that can sting. ( Or worse )

High winds can be a problem, don't like high winds.

Just rain though? That isn't cold? That isn't going on involve actual wading? On a bike with fenders and disc brakes? Meh.