Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Back Pain

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Back Pain

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-10, 10:33 PM
adaminlc

Bikes: 2007 Surly Cross Check, 199? Novara Alpine

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Back Pain

Looks like I'm gonna be doing a lot less riding for a while. I pinched a nerve in my lower back on a metric century and now I have loss of sensation in my right leg and left arm. Any sort of climbing makes all sorts of things hurt. The doc told me to take it easy, talking about the long term good and all that. My long term good needs plenty of pedal time. Anybody have any good suggestions? I don't want to spend the rest of my summer off the bike.

Thanks.
Old 07-01-10, 10:37 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
For me a very hot bath laying down in the tub, as long as I could stand it, would relax my back.

Old 07-01-10, 10:47 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
If it effects your arm would that not be a problem in your neck?

2nd thing is to lay face down on the floor with a pillow under your chest and stomach.

Old 07-01-10, 10:52 PM
colleen c
I am a caffine girl

Bikes: 2012 Stumpjumper FSR Comp...2010 Scott CR1 CF...2007 Novara FS Float2.0...2009 Specialized Hardrock Disc...2009 Schwinn Le Tour GSr

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This is debatable, but I find Chiropratic help. I had a pinch nerve that numbed from my left buttock down to my ankle. I was laying in bed for two month and going through physical therapy with no improvement. Finally forked out my personal money for Chiropratic and the pain was gone in two weeks.

It may not work for everyone but it helps my backpain a lot.
Old 07-01-10, 11:08 PM
aley
Goathead Magnet

Bikes: Surly LHT, Cannondale Caffeine F3

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 1 Post
It might not be apropos for a pinched nerve, but one of the common things that helps with back pain on the bike is working on core strength. Supposedly crunches and push-ups with your feet on an exercise ball are both good for abdominal strength, which helps relieve back pain. Also, work on stretching, particularly hamstrings.

Chiropractic did wonders a few years ago for some neck pain I was having. I've had less success lately with relief from lower back pain, but that's likely because I go to the chiropractor when I've already got a pulled muscle and I'm in agony - there's not much anybody can do for that, other than muscle relaxants that put me to sleep.
Old 07-02-10, 07:16 AM
swwhite

Bikes: Trek 4300

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I AM NOT A DOCTOR, but I personally have had good results from a few visits to a chiropractor. Something was wrong, and my left arm was going numb in various situations. I had three sessions a week for two weeks, two sessions a week for two weeks, one session a week for two weeks, and then maybe one or two a month later, and I have been fine since. Insurance paid for it, but it would not have been terribly expensive for me had it not.

I also reconfigured my commuter bike for a more upright riding position so I don't have to bend over to ride but then tilt my head back to see where I am going.

Once you get fixed up, a regimen of stretching might help to keep things operating properly.
Old 07-02-10, 07:38 AM
buffalo_cody

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have experience with a herniated disc, and ditto on the stretching, and core strengthening. Personally though, I'd set up a few appointments with a physical therapist to learn what sorts of exercises, and stretches won't put strain on or exacerbate the injury.
Old 07-02-10, 07:57 AM
BassNotBass
master of bottom licks

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm not a fan of chiropractic. I don't believe in sudden forceful manipulation as a 'cure' when an issue arises.

I think that yoga poses are good for the prevention and treatment of mechanical disorders and is controlled by the most apt individual... the body's owner. If it's not your thing then I'd say that meeting with a physical therapist and learning stretching and strengthening exercises is a good option.
Old 07-02-10, 10:00 AM
Joe_Mo
Still Believes In Joy

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail, GT Force

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go see a chiropractor, they can really do wonders.

I had a back spasm a few years ago, was in pain for weeks and couldnt move or sleep. saw this guy and after two days I could walk without assistance.
Old 07-02-10, 03:06 PM
RI_Swamp_Yankee
The Fred Menace!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ease back into biking - go with an upright position, like on a Beach Cruiser or city bike like a Pashley or Electra Ticino. Your spine rests easier straight up and down, and this will relieve inevitable pressure on your hands, as you'll be leaning on them more heavily to protect your back in an aggressive posture.

You can probably convert your bike to an upright position with a riser stem and swept-back, albatross-style bars from Velo Orange or somesuch.
Old 07-02-10, 03:17 PM
mustachiod

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i've been in and out of physical therapy for my back for 7 years. I've found that when i do my exercises regularly, the pain is reduced. but then i twist my back somehow or sit on an airplane and the pain returns, so i can't really move for a few weeks and then start my exercises again, repeat process. it sucks.
Old 07-04-10, 03:57 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by adaminlc
Looks like I'm gonna be doing a lot less riding for a while. I pinched a nerve in my lower back on a metric century and now I have loss of sensation in my right leg and left arm. Any sort of climbing makes all sorts of things hurt. The doc told me to take it easy, talking about the long term good and all that. My long term good needs plenty of pedal time. Anybody have any good suggestions? I don't want to spend the rest of my summer off the bike.

Thanks.
I hurt my back on an 82 mile ride concluding with a very steep hill. (It was on the Second Annual 50+ Forum Weekend Ride of the Finger Lakes; I posted about it on https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...-Thread)/page6 post #137). I was in agony on the seven hour drive home to Boston, and was slightly relieved by a nap supine on the floor, but continued to have an annoying pain for days afterwards, along with a parathesia on my anterior thigh. I did a couple 12 mile rides, and while not painful, I recognized they did exacerbate my back pain afterwards. I stayed off the bike for about 10 days, beginning at about day 6 post-injury and at about day 7 into my layoff I felt a noticeable improvement. I resumed riding this past Monday, and just this AM, July 4th, I did a pretty hilly 30 miles. I do still have a tolerable twinge in my back with little parathesia at day 21. That's my experience.

I did want to recomend this following item. At about day 3 post injury, I needed to drive 700 miles in one day. A friend of mine lent me a therapeutic item which I found even more useful than Advil. It's called a "Theracane" hand held massager, and can be seen on the website of the chain, "Relax the Back Store." https://www.relaxtheback.com/ I realized that I was getting better when I could leave home without it. It made the 700 mile drive, as well as other posture positions tolerable. I can't claim it rehabiliated me by itself, but it did keep me more comfortable. My friend who lent it to me is Korean. I had never seen such a device, and it looked strange. So before I knew the real name of the product, I was calling it a "Korean joy stick."