Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

One Of Those Guys

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

One Of Those Guys

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-10, 07:13 PM
f1seb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One Of Those Guys

This will be a lengthy post grab something to eat or drink....

I'm a new guy and I'd like to share with some of you of why I like road cycling. The thread title is "One Of Those Guys" who I will give definition to and also am sure some of you here are one of them as well.

A little bit on me; I am 31 years old and I consider myself fat. Ok, enough about me, now on to the definition and the point of this thread. 2 months ago I made the jump from half assed comfort bike riding to road cycling and started riding a bike path where there is an influx of road cyclers to get myself in shape and improve my lifestyle and also to gawk at the pretty girls rollerblading in bikinis. (close to the beach bike path.)

A few weeks into my road cycling I noticed that even though I'm going at my own pace (pace of an out of shape fat 31 year old guy) I still go faster than everybody else on that path. A month later I'm on one of my rides and enjoying it since it's very windy and everybody is dying and going slow and I'm passing all of them. Did I mention the pretty girls rollerblading in bikinis? I eventually get up to another guy on a road bike who I saw as a little dot on the horizon and eventually pulled him in about 6 minutes later.

I promptly passed him and thought nothing of him and continued on my way. About a minute later I notice that he is still behind me on my wheel pacing off me. I heard him click through his gears and there he goes right by me gives me a little wave of the hand and all of a sudden picks up his pace. Being the competitive guy that I am I try to answer and pass him right back and stomp on my pedals and pretty much give it all I have to "put him away." Sadly I come to a realization that I can't keep the pace and the dude passes me again, yells at me: "Nice pace dude, kicking my ass...." but ends up kicking my ass instead and rides off into the sunset and becomes that little dot on the horizon again.

That rattled me. I shared my story with my best friend who is a massive muscle head and goes to the gym and is naturally competitive himself who just tells me, "You're going to have to up your game so when you encounter "One Of Those Guys" again you'll make him taste his own spleen. So I started to train a bit more seriously, go for further rides, added in some gym sessions and fast forward to today.......

Another one of those days where there is a massive headwind coming off from the beach everybody is struggling and a lot of pretty girls rollerblading in bikinis......
Passing everybody as always with ease and then I notice one guy up ahead of me who I've been reeling in who keeps looking back every so often to check up on me...."hmmm could it be?" I catch up to him on a small hill pass him going over the crest and prepare for the very brief downhill. Check the shadows on my left and listen to "click...click.." and there he goes passes me almost instantly giving me a big grin. I stomp up on my pedals to hook up on his wheel and tuck in behind and study him:

1. Team Saxo Bank kit = check
2. Cleats = check
3. Shaved Legs = check
4. Road Bike = some blue Klein

So Mr. One Of Those Guys didn't really know that I was still there behind him until he checked over his left shoulder to pass a slower cyclist. He tried to accelerate a little bit more but the headwind was pushing nice and hard against him and I was happily recharging in the midst of it all. He started to motion for me to pass him a few times to which I promptly refused because:

1. You started the game.
2. I am now obligated to play it with you.
3. But I will do it on my terms...not yours.

About after 5 minutes of me following him he started to decrease his pace enough for me to select my : "I'm going to put you away and make you taste your spleen" track which I'm liking from youtube here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sj_kDjs46Hw

Picked the spot where we were getting very close to the beach and I knew there would a a big left turn where there is almost no cover and the winds are at it's strongest. Clicked down and I accelerated, he saw me, got out of his seat and tried to hook on. I thought to myself I'm going to keep pedaling at this pace till I throw up but there is no way in hell how you are getting ahead of me..........and he didn't. Got to the end of the path turned around and head back with a nice tailwind passed Team Saxo Bank dude who was still struggling against the winds and made sure I returned the big grin back to him.

My first kill, one that I'm proud of, and I felt like I needed to share with somebody. I know that not every one of them will end up like this, I am ready to lose these kind of pick up races in the future but also am prepared to not make them easy for the ones who start them. Other than losing weight, here's another reason why I'll be out there on those bike paths pedaling hard rain or shine.......oh yeah plus there's pretty girls rollerblading
Old 07-28-10, 07:24 PM
chado445510
Raising the bar

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Allez Double (sold), 2009 Kestrel RT 800

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool story, bro.

Is there even a question in there?

BTW, you're over analyzing it. Chances are, the people you are racing are not racing you. It seems to me that you're overreacting.

Last edited by chado445510; 07-28-10 at 07:27 PM.
Old 07-28-10, 07:27 PM
tombailey
awaiting uci approval

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix RC 06

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Definitely one of those guys.
Old 07-28-10, 07:29 PM
Joe_Mo
Still Believes In Joy

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail, GT Force

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
too serious.
Old 07-28-10, 07:30 PM
EventServices
Announcer

Bikes: More than I need, really.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 13 Posts
You're racing against people who don't know they're in a race. They're just out there doing their thing.
On one hand, it makes you work a little harder.
On the other hand, if they knew (and cared) that you were chasing them, they might force you to really work harder.

It's also considered a bit snarky to be sitting on someone's wheel without letting them know you're there. It's also a bit unsafe.
Old 07-28-10, 07:30 PM
jdon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Ah crap! I went and made a sandwich.. Who won?
Old 07-28-10, 07:35 PM
ls0725

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
not a race. you dont even know at what point Team Saxo guy is already on his route/training/etc. Has he completed 50+ miles before you him? Had he been biking for 3 hours? etc.

Concentrate more on the pretty bikini-clad rollerbladers
Old 07-28-10, 07:39 PM
f1seb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chado445510
Cool story, bro.

Is there even a question in there?

BTW, you're over analyzing it. Chances are, the people you are racing are not racing you. It seems to me that you're overreacting.
Why would there be a question? 2nd I know when people are racing and when people are not racing against me. He was definitely racing because he wouldn't let me pass him he immediately changed his pace from a snail to all of a sudden "I'm going to stay ahead of you". He also tried to stick onto my wheel after I answered his invitation.

People who don't race against me are the ones who I pass and they just let me be.
Old 07-28-10, 07:42 PM
svtmike

Bikes: S-Works Roubaix SL2^H4, Secteur Sport, TriCross, Kaffenback, Lurcher 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been last in my group racing up one hill and then first up the next. Means nothing.

That's not to say that I don't occasionally motivate myself by picking someone to pass when I'm out on a solo ride, though. But it's not really a race.

And I never park on someone's wheel without asking and receiving permission (usually other groups/riders that I see out regularly and I am pretty sure are experienced group riders). It's pretty unnerving to have someone you don't know and don't trust sucking on your wheel.

But congrats on getting into cycling and working hard on your fitness. It's going to pay great dividends.
Old 07-28-10, 07:44 PM
ktanner777
Plz refer to rule #5

Bikes: Giant OCR-1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My cycling club does a lap ride through a hilly part of road near the beach here every tuesday night. It gives everyone a chance to challenge and attack each other. It's fun for sure.
Old 07-28-10, 07:45 PM
johnmc63

Bikes: Raleigh talus 5.0 Specialized Allez Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Personally, I thought it was well written and entertaining
Old 07-28-10, 07:45 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ls0725
^^ this

don't be a muppet racer doosh, dude.
Mups are for enjoying the scenery and the day. I hate it when my wife and I decide to have a nice relaxing ride down a MUP and muppet racers start sucking wheel and playing Cavendish.

If you wanna test your manhood, pays your money and enter a race, or at least join a club and race them to street signs.

Nice try at a knave type thread tho.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey

Last edited by chipcom; 07-28-10 at 07:50 PM.
Old 07-28-10, 07:50 PM
Blackdays
Boom.

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're delusional.
Old 07-28-10, 07:56 PM
f1seb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
^^ this

Mups are for enjoying the scenery and the day. I hate it when my wife and I decide to have a nice relaxing ride down a MUP and muppet racers start sucking wheel and playing Cavendish.

If you wanna test your manhood, pays your money and enter a race, or at least join a club and race them to street signs.

You see I always ride at my own pace. I don't look to get in these races, but some people do and I see no harm done if I actually entertain them if the opportunity arises.
Old 07-28-10, 07:59 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Old 07-28-10, 08:04 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by f1seb
You see I always ride at my own pace. I don't look to get in these races, but some people do and I see no harm done if I actually entertain them if the opportunity arises.
You'll find that it is much more fun to just stay a ways back...they will either blow themselves up trying to stay ahead, or drop you like a rock and save you some embarrassment. Muppet racers are lame, don't be one of those guys.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 07-28-10, 08:50 PM
ptle

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I love the MUP racing stories...

I often commute on the MUP as it's right off the road I live on. Normally I'm the one doing the passing and not getting passed, but it's always really annoying to have someone tail you if they're doing it unsafely. I've only had one instance where I guy kept with my pace, but did it safely.

One other instance this couple decided to follow, and as I yielded for some pedestrians and an oncoming runner, she cuts around my left and bolts up the middle... very stupid if you ask me. Then she slows back down, forcing me to pass her a second time.

Another guy, who's always racing down the MUP at speeds over 25mph on the downhill (MUP has a lot of steep/rolling hills), follows me and as I yield for people taking up the MUP, he passes me, shouts out, and narrowly goes between two kids. I'm sure there shoulders touched it was that close.

I'm not saying you are, but don't be one of those guys that are competitive on the MUP. Take it on the road where you can actually go fast and be safe.

It's sometimes fun to blow away people on the MUP though.
Old 07-28-10, 09:05 PM
gabdy

Bikes: Trek, Giant, PoS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's awesome, you don't by any chance ride a Cannondale R600 with dura-ace do you?
Old 07-28-10, 09:11 PM
tuxbailey

Bikes: 2012 Guru Praemio R - 2001 Jamis Ventura - 1990 Specialized Hard Rock (with original tires) - 2012 Trek Cobias

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ls0725

+1

However, please bring back some pictures of the bikini-clad rollerbladers. This thread is worthless without it.
Old 07-28-10, 09:13 PM
DScott
It's ALL base...

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Dude, it's kinda hard to picture all the pretty girls rollerblading in the midst of the Greco-Roman wrestling match you're describing.

I'm thinking you should just ask him out.

Old 07-28-10, 09:24 PM
JonnyV

Bikes: 2012 Fuji Altamira 1.0. 2017 Lynskey R250

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
^^ this

whoa! whatever happened to the knave? here's name/term i haven't in a long time around here.
Old 07-28-10, 09:24 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Am I the only one here that believes the OP is an awesome MUP racer?

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 07-28-10, 09:26 PM
brandonobrien

Bikes: '06 Orbea Orca w/ Shimano 6700

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
get off the MUP and on the road and you'll experience an entirely different set of riders.

MUP "racing" is like going to an elementary school playground and bragging that you can beat 4th graders at a tug of war contest.
Old 07-28-10, 09:29 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by kbbpll
The two most serious crashes I've had in my lifetime were from people _I knew_ running into my rear wheel. This story kinda scares me a little.
One of my wife's best friends has a large permanent scar on her leg from a MUP racer crossing wheels with her.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 07-28-10, 09:36 PM
spry

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tuxbailey
+1

However, please bring back some pictures of the bikini-clad rollerbladers. This thread is worthless without it.
Can't stop head from bobing up and down^

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.