Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Jandd Front Expedition Rack

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-10, 09:22 PM
Joe_Mo
Still Believes In Joy

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail, GT Force

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Don't let your lbs talk you into one if you have a surly LHT. It will never attach properly. Save yourself the frustration.

Edit: finally got it on. So much work though, unbelievable...

Last edited by Joe_Mo; 11-05-10 at 10:33 PM.
Old 11-06-10, 07:33 AM
KLW2

Bikes: 88 Schwin Voyageur, 84 Schwinn World Sport, 85 Univega Alpina Uno, 85 Fuji Espree, 09 Novara Strada, 06 Jamis Durango, 03 Specialized Expediton Sport, 09 Surly LHT, 12 Novara Gotham

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How does it fit? Does it hit your downtube and cable bosses or were you able to adjust it better?
Old 11-06-10, 08:10 AM
LeeG

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
I'm curious if the IRD rack fits better.

https://store.interlocracing.com/lhfrpara.html
Old 11-06-10, 09:18 AM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I combined a Jannd lowrider front rack with a Bor Yueh front rack on my LHT. you could do the same with Jannd lowrider and a Blackburn MTF-1.

2 separate and redundant front rack systems at lighter weight than the jannd extreme front rack. that things a tank and the design by the brakes is a kludge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
dualieracks.jpg (94.4 KB, 64 views)

Last edited by Bekologist; 11-06-10 at 09:57 AM.
Old 11-06-10, 09:49 AM
BigBlueToe

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have a Jandd Extreme on the front of my LHT. I think the Expedition is intended to be a rear rack. Anyway, my Extreme went on easily with one problem. The rack width was wider than the width of the fork - when I went to bolt the rack to the sockets in the sides of the fork legs there were big gaps. I didn't want to try to squeeze the rack to make it fit. The easy solution is spacers. I took off a Tubus Tara to replace it with the Extreme. The Tubus had spacers which worked perfectly. If I didn' have spacers it would be easy to go to the hardware store for nylon spacers. I've used them for other applications since.

I really like having the platform on the Extreme. The Tubus was a great rack, but didn't have a platform. I put my Big Agnes air mattress on it, and when I'm touring in bear country I put my Ursack on it as well. It's very strong and rigid.

The only thing I don't like about the Extreme is that when the front wheel flops to the side the rack hits the adjusting barrels on the downtube. So far it hasn't caused a problem, but I'm afraid one of these days it will knock one of them loose. I've heard others complain of this as well. It would be an easy fix. Well, Jandd....**********
Old 11-07-10, 09:05 AM
Rich B.

Bikes: LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm very happy with the Jandd extreme on my LHT. I made it fit with some small round aluminum spacers that I found at our local hardware store. The rack does hit the down tube of the frame when I don't think to keep that from happening, but the only result is a little chipped paint on the rack in that area, and it is never a factor when steering. The flat platform holds my sleeping bag perfectly, and the Deuter Panniers I have mount very securely. Cheaper and lighter than the Surly.
Old 11-07-10, 10:17 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
I am using the Jannd extreme on the front of my expedition bike. It started life as a Giant Iguana mountain bike. I needed spacers to mount also, but it clears the brakes and fenders pretty well and it is great having the front rack platform out there for lighter stuff. My road touring bike (well what passes for one) has a Bor Yeur full front rack on it and I would be hard pressed to try touring without a front rack platform.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 11-08-10, 12:49 AM
KDC1956

Bikes: Surly LHT 52cm Nice Bicycle I think.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rich B.
I'm very happy with the Jandd extreme on my LHT. I made it fit with some small round aluminum spacers that I found at our local hardware store. The rack does hit the down tube of the frame when I don't think to keep that from happening, but the only result is a little chipped paint on the rack in that area, and it is never a factor when steering. The flat platform holds my sleeping bag perfectly, and the Deuter Panniers I have mount very securely. Cheaper and lighter than the Surly.
I have the surly nice front rack and I only payed 125.00 for it and I also have the surly nice rear rack as well and payed the same for it too.I know a lot of rack are cheaper but I wanted the surly nice rack for my surly LHT.
Old 11-08-10, 09:46 AM
Joe_Mo
Still Believes In Joy

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail, GT Force

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BigBlueToe
I have a Jandd Extreme on the front of my LHT. I think the Expedition is intended to be a rear rack. Anyway, my Extreme went on easily with one problem. The rack width was wider than the width of the fork - when I went to bolt the rack to the sockets in the sides of the fork legs there were big gaps. I didn't want to try to squeeze the rack to make it fit. The easy solution is spacers. I took off a Tubus Tara to replace it with the Extreme. The Tubus had spacers which worked perfectly. If I didn' have spacers it would be easy to go to the hardware store for nylon spacers. I've used them for other applications since.
At first the packet that came with the rack didnt include longer bolts for the eyelets otherwise I would have had to take off my front fender. went back to bike shop and got some bolts. next problem is the part you talk about where you have to squeeze the rack. This wasn't a one man job, so I proceeded to rage until a roommate came home.

And then I think you attached your rack too far back, I put mine slightly forward because I noticed that would be a huge issue not being able to turn all the way or your front wheel turning whichever way it pleases when you're trying to lock up your bike and hitting the headtube.