Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Surly LHT and Trek 520. Same price, what one to get?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Surly LHT and Trek 520. Same price, what one to get?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-10, 12:51 AM
Heatherbikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
surly!

Hello, just wondering if you bought your bike? Did you by chance post on the surly usergroup too?
Bicycles and pretty much everything costs alot more in Canada due to import duties, taxes and what not. And no it just isn't fair to see a bike priced at $1100 a few hours away costing almost $2000 at home. Honestly, if my passport wasn't expired and I had the money/means etc I would go down to Seattle and buy the bike I want and either bring it back tucked in the back of car or even ride home. I was told by a bike shop owner to do this to get a rivendell. I certainly remember going on back to school shopping trips in the US and my mom promptly folding everything into the luggage. You're allowed a certain amount depending on how long you stay. The last time i was in the US all I bought was shampoo and claimed it but the customs people giggled.
Anyway, now that there's hst you are going to be taxed to the hilt to buy your bike in Canada.
As for the surly long haul trucker-I bought mine last year via the BC scrap it program but it cost around $1800 and I had a terrible experience buying it. It was the only really really expensive bike I've bought so it wasn't pleasant to be treated like crap by the hipper than thou bike staff.
I can't say i even like the lht and I read endless gleaming reviews-best bike ever etc.. i never got a chance to properly test ride it either, but was told by bike staff that it was the best bike ever!
I wish I could say I love my bicycle considering the cost and trouble it took to get the bike but I don't know what to do about it. I did recently receive a 1989 trek 420 for free. It is missing some vital bits like a crankset, but it is a lugged steel light touring road bike!!! People even do heavy loaded touring on their old treks. And it's made in the usa. If money is an issue, you might want to sit tight and search craigslist etc for an older steel touring bike, build it up with new parts and ride.
Old 11-20-10, 04:16 AM
Grillparzer
Grillparzer

Bikes: Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Obviously the problem is that you live in Canada, you have to migrate.
Old 11-20-10, 01:31 PM
DVC45

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by LeeG
LHT for loaded touring with 2 sets of panniers front and back. Option for 26" wheels in larger sizes. Trek520 for unloaded and loaded riding but better handling (personal preference) when unloaded.

Trek 520 for that reason alone.
Old 11-20-10, 02:36 PM
FidelCastrovich
Patria O Muerte!

Bikes: Pinarello road bike, Marin Kentfield city bike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Speaking of which, how come I can't find the 520 on Trek's site?
Old 11-20-10, 03:08 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by FidelCastrovich
I don't know - try here:
https://www.trekbikes.com/int/en/bikes/road/520/520/
Old 11-23-10, 02:47 AM
Joe_Mo
Still Believes In Joy

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail, GT Force

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really like my LHT. It's incredibly functional and I expect to have it for the rest of my life.
Old 11-23-10, 10:57 AM
The Smokester

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by FidelCastrovich
I believe it has been discontinued!!!!!

Edit: I can't seem to verify this claim which I read in a recent post. Hopefully it's a false alarm.

Last edited by The Smokester; 11-24-10 at 09:13 PM.
Old 11-23-10, 12:52 PM
jackb

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
As Bikearound pointed out, corporations pay professional tax lawyers huge sums to figure out how to avoid paying taxes. It appears to me that your avoiding duty is such a small concern that you shouldn't worry about it. All laws are not just just because they are laws. If I were in your position I would try to get the bike across the border without paying duty or tax. In doing this I would be emulating the attitude and behavior of many of the political leaders in my country.
Old 03-20-11, 04:06 PM
mjoekingz28

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How about if you ride clipless get the 520 or the LHT for platforms. The LHT doesn't come with pedals and the 520 comes with clipless Shimano.
Old 04-07-11, 01:15 AM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by a1rabbit
Hi everyone.

This question will take some explaining. It's long.

I live in Canada, the Surly LHT is hard to find here and when you do it's expensive. Most shops charge $1699 -$1799! (all except one I've talked to) The Canadian dollar is currently on par (or close to it) with the US dollar, the price difference is crazy!

For Canadians, it sucks that the LHT is only 1100 bucks in the US, it's defiantly a case of the grass being greener on the other side.

Anyhow, in Canada the Trek 520 sells for $1399 and I found a store that has some really nice people working there who will sell the LHT for $1399 as well. He said that the nice thing about buying local is that if it's a good shop, they'll get you what you want for what you can afford, within reason. And I agree that it's his best way to get a loyal customer. He also agrees that the LHT sells for far too much here because of how it's distributed throughout Canada.

I've talked to a lot of shops here about it and most seem pretty upset about Surly in Canada, I live in Vancouver, BC. Anyone from another province have a different experience with Surly?

So my options come down to these.

Get the Surly or the Trek for $1399.

Go to the US for a week (which I will likely be doing in July anyway, friend has a place on Whidbey island) and get the bike there for $1100, get it fit, etc. Come back and pay Duty, which is 13% extra, plus Canadian taxes which currently sits at 5% for my province on bikes. This will end up being about the same price as getting the LHT here for $1399 (taking into account travel, etc.) I may save about 200 if things went well.

I could try just not telling them about the bike, but I hate being dishonest (even though I feel like they rip us off enough). If I do this I risk them catching me and taking the bike or charging me extra. Not really my cup of tea.

Another option is to have an American friend buy the bike and bring it over for me, again seems underhanded and I won't be able to get it fit, unless we met up in Washington and came back here together after I got the bike fit. I don't think this is legal.

That would save me enough money to deck the bike out with racks and fenders.

This a seriously annoying situation and the only time I've felt like I have wanted to "cheat" the system.

I just feel like I'm being cheated ripped off. Frustrating.

I've basically decided that I don't want to be sneaky, and so I'll eat the cost and get the bike here.

So the question is, Trek 520 or Surly LHT for $1400 bucks?

Given all this info, what would you do in my shoes?

By the way, I can't express how much I appreciate everyone's help here on this forum so far.
I would buy the Surly LHT, it has a very nice & comfy long wheelbase unlike Trek 520 & similar production tourers.
Old 04-07-11, 10:12 AM
Hangtownmatt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd recommend getting the Trek 520 if you can tolerate having the handle bars below seat level for long periods of time. Otherwise, get the Surly.

I test rode an unloaded 2011 520 for roughly 15 miles recently. I really liked the ride but had to pass based on the inability to raise the handle bars. Trek will not allow dealers to order with an uncut steering tube. I was very disappointed.
Old 04-07-11, 11:09 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Component list of what is equipped on the frame is not the same, right ?

state differences.
Old 04-07-11, 11:24 AM
Speedo

Bikes: Univega Gran Turismo, Guerciotti, Bridgestone MB2, Bike Friday New World Tourist, Serotta Ti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Component list of what is equipped on the frame is not the same, right ?

state differences.
You're probably not going to get an answer. It's a year old thread.

Speedo