Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Winter Gloves

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Winter Gloves

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-10, 07:54 AM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Mauriceloridans
... and for real cold days I strap a clear plastic spinach box to the front of my handlebars to shield the wind.
photo pleez!
Old 12-09-10, 10:35 AM
LeeG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by adlai
let us know how they work. My experience so far is that thin wool gloves and wool glove/mitten combos work best. I haven't tried the lobster gloves but every fancy bike specific glove I've used has cold spots or the thumb gets cold.
Old 12-09-10, 09:09 PM
LeftinFlint

Bikes: '12 C-dale HT; '89 C-dale sr300; Trek 820

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, I so want to see a picture of the shields. That's brilliant.
Old 12-09-10, 09:25 PM
Mauriceloridans

Bikes: 1983 Trek 520, early 80's Univega Gran Tourismo, '98 Santana Arriva, '71 Dawes Galaxy, '77 Peugeot UO10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
photo pleez!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1137.jpg (64.6 KB, 64 views)
Old 12-09-10, 09:50 PM
nashcommguy
nashcommguy

Bikes: Commuters: Fuji Delray road, Fuji Discovery mtb...Touring: Softride Traveler...Road: C-dale SR300

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mauriceloridans
photo pleez!
Soooooo Fred! So brilliant! So simple. I'm so stealing this idea...patent pending, of course.
Old 12-09-10, 10:00 PM
pallen
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
I have these https://www.amazon.com/Canari-Static-...1953463&sr=8-1

Not sure about working an iPod, but they are great down to around 32 or so and padded on the palm side. The coldest day I've ridden with them so far was around 27. My hands got somewhat cold, but it was still very tolerable.
Old 12-10-10, 01:09 AM
Joe_Mo
Still Believes In Joy

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail, GT Force

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone know of something for zero and below? It gets pretty cold here and I work in a grocery store where I have to often go into a freezer that sits at -20. I would like be to able to stand in there for more than 5 or so minutes at a time.
Old 12-10-10, 02:42 AM
Juha
Formerly Known as Newbie

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
If your job involves going into the freezer, shouldn't your employer provide the required gear?

--J

Who is this General Failure anyway, and why is he reading my drive?

Become a Registered Member in Bike Forums
Community guidelines
Old 12-10-10, 06:41 AM
Joe_Mo
Still Believes In Joy

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail, GT Force

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Juha
If your job involves going into the freezer, shouldn't your employer provide the required gear?

--J
They do, but like I said. I want to be in there for more than 5 minutes at a time.
Old 12-10-10, 07:16 AM
FunkyStickman
On a Mission from God

Bikes: '10 Surly LHT, Rat-rod Klunker, '82 Peugeot PH12 Centennial

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I bought these for $10, hopefully they will work for me. Our winters aren't that long or cold, but the humidity stays around 80% or more. Wind sucks. They should arrive here today. Needless to say, nobody sells ski gloves here...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product

Old 12-10-10, 07:59 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by nashcommguy
Soooooo Fred! So brilliant! So simple. I'm so stealing this idea...patent pending, of course.
That does look pretty good. I've been considering pogies (Bar Mitts) but I think I'll try the spinach box first. How is it attached and is it secure?

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 12-10-10 at 08:04 AM.
Old 12-10-10, 10:52 AM
Mauriceloridans

Bikes: 1983 Trek 520, early 80's Univega Gran Tourismo, '98 Santana Arriva, '71 Dawes Galaxy, '77 Peugeot UO10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Nash, I hereby place the spinach box Idea in
public domain.

Jim, last winter my brake cables held it in place. This
year I need to find a way to secure it cuz I
changed to aero levers and bar end shifters with all cables
under the tape almost to the stem. Maybe a loop of old bike
innertube will hold it this year.

So far not cold enough to need it here.

One tip... I used the lid to strengthen the box
edge by cutting away all but the sealing
channel.

My wife keeps buying spinach this way so I use
the boxes for everything I can think of e.g. Bike
parts bins.
Old 12-10-10, 11:01 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by adlai
My hands get cold fast riding a bike in winter. Also, I like to adjust my touch-wheel ipod often while on a bike.

What's the best glove you've found? I'm trying to keep it under $20.
I got a pair of these cheap on ebay (but not $20) and they definitely meet my cold weather needs:

https://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=X0057

and they might not be great for a touch-wheel either. In fact I'm glad I mostly ride fixed gear because these gloves are good for holding on to stuff but I wouldn't want to have to count on manipulating much in them.
Old 12-10-10, 11:04 AM
Jim from Boston

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
...I've been considering pogies (Bar Mitts)...
Actually though I've been considering pogies, lobster claws, and mittens, I've not pursued these options rigorously because last year I tried something new, for your consideration. I posted about it on this Winter Cycling Forum thread from November, "Winter Gloves for Commuting.":

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...-For-Commuting

I commute year round, usually in the 20's F, but often lower, rarely down to 0 degrees. My own prefeence at less than 20 is a thin knit glove under a heavily insulated windproof shell. This year I'm going to try a lobster claw pair.

I would however like to suggest this additional piece of gear. Since I have a gap between my jacket and glove end, I always have to carefully tuck the wrist end of the gloves under the sleeve ends. Last year I made a pair of "wrist gaiters" by cutting the toe ends off a pair of athletic socks for my fingers and an additional hole for my thumb. The gaiters extend all the way up over my forearm. I have found that they keep my forearms quite warm, and usually become slightly damp with sweat, but not enough to chill. This may be subjective, but I think they help keep my hands warmer by keeping the blood flowing down to my hands warmer than otherwise without them.

This winter I will take note more carefully on those really challenging days, but last winter I didn't buy mittens, as I had contemplated the year before.
Today I left downtown Boston at 15 degrees F with an 18 mph approximate tailwind for my 14 mile commute, and arrived at my suburban destination at 3 degrees and calm. I wore two pairs of gloves as described, along with the wrist gaiters. For the first two miles my fingertips were slightly chilled, and then the next couple of mile were slightly but tolerably "burning," but from about mile 4 onwards, my fingers were fine and warm the whole distance. FWIW.
Old 12-10-10, 12:29 PM
Jim from Boston

..and another thing...

I posted this today to a similar thread on the Commuting Forum about cold extremities, "Cold feet today":

As usual on these threads about suggestions to keep warm during winter cycling, I request that the posters provide not only the temperatures but also the distance of their rides for comparison purposes. My own particular definition of a cold ride, gleaned from BF, is when my water bottle freezes solid; a function of both temperature and distance (time). I carry a water bottle in winter mainly for that purpose, and I showed it off to people at work this morning.
My own experience is that while I think I dress optimally for frigid and/or cold, wet weather, I can be comfortable for about 10 miles, and then tolerate the rest (usually to my destination at 14 miles).
Old 12-10-10, 06:04 PM
Mauriceloridans

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jim,
If you make the spinach box attachment loose enough, it can be tilted to keep rain off the gloves too.
Maurice
Old 12-10-10, 06:23 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe_Mo
Anyone know of something for zero and below? It gets pretty cold here and I work in a grocery store where I have to often go into a freezer that sits at -20. I would like be to able to stand in there for more than 5 or so minutes at a time.
I have a suggestion, and I'm getting ready to try it myself, but it remains untested.

(1) Go to a thrift shop like Value Village or Goodwill or the like.
(2) Invest $10 in a cashmere or angora sweater.
(3) Cut four hand-shaped sections out of it.
(4) Sew them together.
(5) Enjoy!

Especially inside a freezer, you don't need wind protection, you need insulation.
Old 12-12-10, 04:50 PM
BA Commuter
Comfortably Numb!

Bikes: Jamis Commuter 3.0

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I agree with investing in nice gloves. I have a pair of leather DAKINE Wrangler ski gloves that work very well during the fall and early winter. When it gets down into the single digits I wear a pair of leather LL Bean mittens with wool inserts, which reduces my dexterity, but they keep my fingers/hands warm, which is most important this time of year!
Old 12-15-10, 12:02 PM
tpelle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
An important factor is keeping your hands and gloves dry. What I found that works well is military-surplus glove liners. They are wool, and inexpensive enough that you can buy several pairs. Wear them inside of another glove, which you buy purposely oversized so the liner fits inside. You can have one pair in use, carry a spare pair, and have another pair at home drying. If you prefer mittens, you can get them that way as well, with a nifty trigger finger separate from the other fingers.
Old 12-16-10, 12:08 AM
bored117 

Bikes: Lynskey R230 DA DI2 ENVE 3.4 SES, 6KU Fixie, Cheap Aluminum Slapstick Trainer only bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I am using dressy leather glove with cashmere liner for time being. Used it down to 31F and never even felt cold. Couple of concerns I have... longevity of it... and what would happen when it's raining... I got them cheap enough at Marshalls so as long as it last a year, I am quite happy.
Old 12-16-10, 12:22 AM
MijnWraak
Noobie of the year :)

Bikes: 1980's Miyata Seven Ten

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I bought $65 dollar mittens with liners at Dicks the other day. I biked today, and even in the ride in (usually no problems with walmart gloves) my thumb was freezing. On the way home it was no better, and the front four weren't exactly warm either. (12-18 F)

Are hand warmers my only option? I dont like the idea of spending money on disposable things like that, but pogies dont work well with barcons and drops.
Old 12-16-10, 12:04 PM
sauerwald

Bikes: Bianchi San Remo - set up as a utility bike, Peter Mooney Road bike, Peter Mooney commute bike,Dahon Folder,Schwinn Paramount Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cold is relative. I used to live in Maine and would ride in temps down to 0F (-17C), and for cold weather I used a pair of gloves from Cabellas which were sold for snowmobilers. They are full finger gloves, which gives me more use of my fingers (I don't like the reduced dexterity that lobsters give me), they are insulated and waterproof.

Here in California, I rarely wear gloves at all (this morning the temp was just over freezing, and I probably should have worn gloves), but when I do I have a pair of full finger, lightweight gloves from Performance.
Old 12-16-10, 12:11 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts

Wool flip mitt with 40 gram thinsulate with an inner wool glove with 40 gram thinsulate... the inner glove's cuff comes up past my wrist and with a sweater the pulse point at my wrist is also well protected.

P.S. Our winters are typically very cold and very dry so do we usually do not have to deal with rain... the wool mitt and liner is very windproof.

Last edited by Sixty Fiver; 12-16-10 at 06:52 PM.
Old 12-16-10, 06:49 PM
Fizzaly
Stealing Spokes since 82'

Bikes: The always reliable kuwie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do what 65er does but i wear wool liner gloves under some of cabela gore wind stopper glomets my hands just fine this morning at 19f, when it gets colder ill just throw on a thicker pair of liner glove. Plus the cabelas glomets are "water proof".