Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Jamis Coda Comp

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Jamis Coda Comp

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-24, 01:33 PM
Stpetegurl

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jamis Coda Comp

This bike is at least 16-18 years of age, maintained all those years but lived in fort myers during Ian. Was only in 4 inches of water for a day and in non conditioned air for 10 days. Did not ride after as roads were glass and debris. Moved and had bike serviced. Mechanic said derailer and shifter both were frozen and need replacing but parts are hard to find. He fixed as good as he could and as every mechanic I have ever had said, the bike is better than its replacement on the market today. (Assuming a bike of like type) . So, being illiterate on bikes, do I have to replace these component with exactly what I had or can I get new but different components. (I think it’s a 3/9 front with bottom pull and shifter, all shimano) I could be way taken advantage of as I don’t know what I’m looking for so any help on parts or a replacement bike is what I’m looking for.
Old 02-13-24, 04:23 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4358 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
Originally Posted by Stpetegurl
This bike is at least 16-18 years of age, maintained all those years but lived in fort myers during Ian. Was only in 4 inches of water for a day and in non conditioned air for 10 days. Did not ride after as roads were glass and debris. Moved and had bike serviced. Mechanic said derailer and shifter both were frozen and need replacing but parts are hard to find. He fixed as good as he could and as every mechanic I have ever had said, the bike is better than its replacement on the market today. (Assuming a bike of like type) . So, being illiterate on bikes, do I have to replace these component with exactly what I had or can I get new but different components. (I think it’s a 3/9 front with bottom pull and shifter, all shimano) I could be way taken advantage of as I don’t know what I’m looking for so any help on parts or a replacement bike is what I’m looking for.
A local shop should be able to get you parts easily. You can swap parts to different stuff. Any Shimano 9 speed stuff will work and even 7 and 8 speed stuff will work if you find older high quality stuff as the shifter in this case will determine the number of gears you can run. Chains and cassettes are easy to find and all you need is a 9 speed from SRAM or Shimano or even someone else basically so long as it isn't for Campagnolo you should be fine.

If a shop cannot get you those parts these days they are either having issues or simply the person looking at parts cannot use QBP or Shimano's B2B website or another distributor. It isn't hard and QBP especially makes it super easy to use and find parts. There are 3 bottom pull FDs in stock 1 Sora from Shimano and 2 Microshift options and a few options as well for shifters. You could also ditch the old 3x9 stuff and go with a 1x11 Deore or CUES or similar set up depending on how much you are using the front derailleur. On that front you would just need a new shifter, rear derailleur and I would recommend a narrow wide chainring and you are likely to replace the chain and cassette if things are damaged from flooding and such.

You have tons of options beyond what I gave you there but a local shop should be able to get you the needed replacement parts or new parts pretty easily. I could understand them saying it will take time because a lot of shops aren't ordering as often in winter but to say they cannot get it unless they are looking for the exact replacements which you won't find unless used or some NOS stuff somewhere which isn't worth seeking.

The Coda's aren't bad bikes, I really liked them and if Jamis hadn't been so difficult to us during the pandemic I would happily carry their stuff again. Sadly though they lost me when we drove up there during the pandemic because they couldn't get a truck, and we had to get a trailer load up the trailer ourselves and drive it back on our dime and NO discounts, NO nothing. It was ridiculous I would have said here is a discount or here let us load for you or here is extra terms or something.
Old 02-18-24, 01:36 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 917 Posts
Unless it's something really weird, it shouldn't be hard to replace the parts same-for-same, just for simplicity's sake. eBay and Fb marketplace are good places to look.

If you don't like feeling helpless and ignorant, you've come to the right place. I'd suggest you poke around the forums, ask questions, admire others' bikes, and read read read. The Classic & Vintage forum is the most active and the folks there are generous with their time and vast knowledge. Get your post count up to 10 so you can post pics of your just about vintage bike and you will get some great ideas about what you can do with it.

And welcome to Bike Forums!
Likes For Korina:
Old 02-19-24, 03:33 PM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

Bikes: 18 Cdale Quick 1, 94 S-Works M2, 98 730 Multitrak, and a few others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 434 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
Unless it's something really weird, it shouldn't be hard to replace the parts same-for-same, just for simplicity's sake. eBay and Fb marketplace are good places to look.

If you don't like feeling helpless and ignorant, you've come to the right place. I'd suggest you poke around the forums, ask questions, admire others' bikes, and read read read. The Classic & Vintage forum is the most active and the folks there are generous with their time and vast knowledge. Get your post count up to 10 so you can post pics of your just about vintage bike and you will get some great ideas about what you can do with it.

And welcome to Bike Forums!
Welcome! I've learned so much from members of the forum so don't be afraid to share pics and ask questions. Classic and vintage has quickly become my favorite section of the forum.
Old 02-19-24, 04:04 PM
SoCaled 

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1101 Post(s)
Liked 3,757 Times in 1,842 Posts
From what I have seen the Coda comps had good quality parts, often Deore XT. As others have said shouldn't be too hard to source parts on Ebay, or even here in the "I.S.O. - In Search Of" section. Parts will have numbers on the back, that will give you the spec you need, to source new ones, or post pics here and folks can help
Old 02-19-24, 07:42 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 917 Posts
Originally Posted by Trav1s
Welcome! I've learned so much from members of the forum so don't be afraid to share pics and ask questions. Classic and vintage has quickly become my favorite section of the forum.
I think you quoted the wrong person, but thanks!