Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Trailer hitches for hybrid autos?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Trailer hitches for hybrid autos?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-23, 06:19 PM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 181 Posts
I have no idea about the hybrid taking a hitch. I made sure the vehicle I bought was capable of mounting a trailer hitch and able to handle the small utility trailer I have before I put money down. My hitch mounted bike rack has the through bolt cranked down to the point some yahoo isn't going to get it loose with an eight inch crescent wrench. And I use a small padlock instead of a safety pin u-lock and cables for the wheels
Old 08-17-23, 06:55 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
My guess is they don't offer a hitch because of the battery placement or something like that. I would reach out to Stealth Hitches and see if they are interested in the project. We have had some customers and staff in the past go to them to get them to build a hitch on a more modern car.

In terms of 1 3/4 that is not a standard size you generally have 2" or 1-1/4. Hopefully your writing was off otherwise you will have a beyond tough time finding a hitch for your rack even if you had a super hitch compatible car.
Old 08-18-23, 05:39 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,290 Times in 1,279 Posts
My Honda Clarity did not have a hitch option. I , like you, did not want to void the warranty so I woul take the front wheel off and put the bike in the trunk. It had a huge trunk. When I traded it in on my Subaru Soltera (all electric) I made sure it came with a receiver, even though I can easily fit the bike in the back of the car. My wife has a Toyota Tacoma with a receiver as well. That way we can take our bikes wherever we go.
Old 08-18-23, 07:54 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 227 Posts
Looking at different SUV's and definitely want one with a trailer hitch. Leaning towards the Toyota RAV4 or Highlander models. I don't plan on towing anything with it except a bike rack with bikes on it.
Old 08-19-23, 05:18 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Smart move is to phone places like etrailer.com and see if anyone makes a hitch that will fit your vehicle. For my 2022 Rav4 Prime I found two companies that manufactured hitches for the car and bought one and installed it.

On my Prius I would not have gone with a hitch mount as the ground clearance was marginal at best and it was easy to hit the skirting on my steep driveway at the transition with the street.
Old 08-19-23, 05:27 PM
Mtracer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 194 Posts
I did read all the responses here, but I was curious and checked the Curt website for hitch receivers. They don't show 2023 Honda Accord as an option (hybrid or other). So, I'm not sure this is a hybrid issue, as much as a 2023 Honda Accord issue. Obviously, a bike rack doesn't represent the load towing a trailer does.

I'd at least take a look under the car and see of the frame is exposed and has mounting points for any hitch receiver.
Old 03-08-24, 02:36 PM
Pearson100

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 17 Posts
A follow-up to my post about hitches for a 2023 hybrid Honda Accord: I was finally able to get one this year (2024). It seems that the issue was that nobody had gotten around to creating one that would fit the 2023 until 2024! Thanks to all who responded.
Likes For Pearson100:
Old 03-08-24, 02:56 PM
NumbersGuy

Bikes: Fairlight Strael 3.0 Ultegra Di2, Lauf Seigla Rigid SRAM Red XPLR

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Pearson100
A follow-up to my post about hitches for a 2023 hybrid Honda Accord: I was finally able to get one this year (2024). It seems that the issue was that nobody had gotten around to creating one that would fit the 2023 until 2024! Thanks to all who responded.
Seems the Draw-Tite Class 1 hitch fits the regular and hybrid 2023 Accord, and it's been available since last year, so maybe you just need to get better at using the internet......
Old 03-08-24, 03:22 PM
Pearson100

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by NumbersGuy
Seems the Draw-Tite Class 1 hitch fits the regular and hybrid 2023 Accord, and it's been available since last year, so maybe you just need to get better at using the internet......
I had called all the hitch installers in the area last spring, and none were able to find one that fit the 2023 Accord. And I had also done a search on the Internet and nothing had come up.
Old 03-08-24, 05:46 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Did you ever consider SeaSucker? They have others too. Some that are for mounting on top.
Old 03-08-24, 06:50 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
Stolen bikes on hitches, or stolen hitches
There was a lot of reports of stolen Kuat bike racks (no bikes on it, just the hitch itself!) My Kuat Sherpa has a locking pin through the hitch socket, but I'm guessing it could be popped off with a long crowbar, or cut with a bolt cutter. Since my rack is lightweight, 35 pounds, I don't leave it on the car unless I'm transporting a bike or during the ride itself. Putting the rack on takes less than a minute -- otherwise, it's hanging from two hooks on the garage wall.

Long chains for locking to the rack.
The cable locks for racks are a "two minute dash into the store", or a "low traffic, I'll be okay, I hope" lock. Cables can be snipped a few strands at a time with quality electrician diag cutters, and nobody would notice.

I did worry about leaving two expensive bikes on the car while stopping for lunch, etc, so I purchased a 9 foot ABUS 10KS chain with a sturdy cloth sleeve installed. (A rope around two bikes and through the car towing loop was a bit under 9 feet. This is enough to easily lock up, but harder for a bolt cutter to get leverage against the ground.)

ABUS chains by the foot!
I see it's still around $110 for 9 feet. I think I paid about $90 in 2019.
This chain weighs about 16-17 pounds! I shopped at Harbor Freight and got a $7 small canvas tool bag for it. Perfect!

Last edited by rm -rf; 03-08-24 at 06:55 PM.
Old 03-08-24, 07:17 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval

In some cases a very good idea.

10 PM News Last year over in Austin: A guy pulled into a Walmart for a few minutes after hitting the trails over at Rocky Hill (local mountain bike trails). He returned to find his 2200 USD and his buddies 1800 USD Mountain bikes gone along with his 1100 USD bike carrier. He was pretty upset and visibly expressing it to the police officer and cameras. The officer taking it all in then turned to the cameras and gave one of those Mehhh expressions.
Thankfully they weren't expensive bikes.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 03-08-24, 10:37 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
I know for sure a selling point on our recent Crosstrek purchase is it had a roof rail that I knew would take a Yakima rack, of which I owed most of the parts. The Mazda CX-30 I looked at did not and I wasn’t paying Mazda a huge sum of money to install a rack. How I use the vehicle down the road dictates the vehicle choice.
Old 03-09-24, 12:37 AM
13ollocks

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Found this "Your vehicle requires a custom-built hitch which we will gladly fabricate for you. If you are able to bring your vehicle to our Tempe, AZ Research & Development facility we'll provide you with a free U-Haul custom trailer hitch, including free installation, and a lifetime unlimited warranty in exchange for the use of your vehicle to fabricate the trailer hitch. We'll need the vehicle for four to five days. If you are interested in this offer please complete the form below and we'll contact you to schedule your appointment. This offer is only valid until one customer per vehicle can fulfill our requirements."
that sounds like a warranty on the hitch from Uhaul, not a warranty on the car from Toyota.
Old 03-09-24, 07:46 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8281 Post(s)
Liked 9,053 Times in 4,479 Posts
Originally Posted by 13ollocks
that sounds like a warranty on the hitch from Uhaul, not a warranty on the car from Toyota.
Obviously the maker of the hitch is offering a warranty on that hitch.

The OP has a Honda.
Old 03-09-24, 08:51 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf
Stolen bikes on hitches, or stolen hitches
There was a lot of reports of stolen Kuat bike racks (no bikes on it, just the hitch itself!) My Kuat Sherpa has a locking pin through the hitch socket, but I'm guessing it could be popped off with a long crowbar, or cut with a bolt cutter. Since my rack is lightweight, 35 pounds, I don't leave it on the car unless I'm transporting a bike or during the ride itself. Putting the rack on takes less than a minute -- otherwise, it's hanging from two hooks on the garage wall.

Long chains for locking to the rack.
The cable locks for racks are a "two minute dash into the store", or a "low traffic, I'll be okay, I hope" lock. Cables can be snipped a few strands at a time with quality electrician diag cutters, and nobody would notice.

I did worry about leaving two expensive bikes on the car while stopping for lunch, etc, so I purchased a 9 foot ABUS 10KS chain with a sturdy cloth sleeve installed. (A rope around two bikes and through the car towing loop was a bit under 9 feet. This is enough to easily lock up, but harder for a bolt cutter to get leverage against the ground.)

ABUS chains by the foot!
I see it's still around $110 for 9 feet. I think I paid about $90 in 2019.
This chain weighs about 16-17 pounds! I shopped at Harbor Freight and got a $7 small canvas tool bag for it. Perfect!
I do exactly the same thing, but have the Kuat dock. Rack slides right in, and can be locked up with the hitch pin in your garage.
Old 03-09-24, 11:17 AM
13ollocks

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Obviously the maker of the hitch is offering a warranty on that hitch.

The OP has a Honda.
ok wrong car - but how does a hitch warrantee from uhaul help him if Honda denies coverage because he installed a hitch, which, according to post #3, is a real possibility?
Old 03-09-24, 05:51 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8281 Post(s)
Liked 9,053 Times in 4,479 Posts
Originally Posted by 13ollocks
ok wrong car - but how does a hitch warrantee from uhaul help him if Honda denies coverage because he installed a hitch, which, according to post #3, is a real possibility?
It doesn't. Ya pays your money and you takes your chances.

This is why I suggested talking to your dealer if you had questions like that. I worked as a technician at new car dealers for 30 years and we would have never denied warranty over something like that. If a dealer did that it would be a total dick move. I'm not saying no dealer would, but if it happened to me I would take it up with the manufacturer.
Old 03-12-24, 11:08 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1670 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 1,062 Posts
I'm wondering if installation is a problem for all hybrids...

Old 03-12-24, 12:33 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs

what does that set up do to your mpg?
Old 03-12-24, 02:47 PM
Calsun
Banned

Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
With our steep driveway the Prius would bottom out if we sent straight back to the road. No way a hitch would have been feasible. With many approaches to parking lots the dip in the road required going very slow the Prius to avoid hitting the front bodywork.

We replaced it with a Rav4 Prime and no worries about clearance and it handles a 2x2 hitch receiver that I added. I still prefer to use my pickup that has a long enough bed to leave our two bikes inside it overnight or well stopped at a grocery store. The pickup has a fiberglass shell with black curtains so no one can look inside and see the two bikes.
Old 03-12-24, 05:36 PM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by Bmach
What does that setup do to your mpg?
It's still significantly better than my neighbor's F250 SuperDuty 4X4 Crewcab mpg.
Old 03-12-24, 09:37 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 227 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
It's still significantly better than my neighbor's F250 SuperDuty 4X4 Crewcab mpg.
True, but if you're going anywhere further away the F-250 can carry a lot more stuff, including a trailer, and more people and all their crap as well. Plus, in the case you were to get into an accident the F-250 will come out a lot better than a little Prius.
Old 03-13-24, 05:41 AM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by SpeedyBlueBiker
True, but if you're going anywhere further away the F-250 can carry a lot more stuff, including a trailer, and more people and all their crap as well.
Yet 98% of the ones I see here in Parts Unknown are putting around town with just the driver.
Likes For tcs: