Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Rivendell Clem Smith and Bafang

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-21, 08:51 PM
LeeG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts

I have a Riv Clem Smith and wonder if anyone has installed a mid drive on it. My main concern is whether the very long chain stays would make for a noodly handling bike with a 750 watt motor. It seems to me once you start putting on a fair amount of boost that a beefy aluminum frame built for a mid drive is the way to go.
I’ve been looking at ebikes for a few years but haven’t made the jump. It appears to me that strong motors and conventional derailleur drive trains requires costly drive train replacement as chains and cassettes wear. Are any of the conventional IGHs appropriate for ebike use? Rohloff is just too expensive and not sure how it would hold up to heavy motor use.
Old 01-29-21, 01:04 PM
late

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12194 Post(s)
Liked 1,497 Times in 1,109 Posts
Most Rivendells have some give in the bottom bracket area. Prob not a problem, but you might want to dial the power back to 500. I would like a 500, but I do alright with a 250...

There is a Korean company that makes a chain specially for ebikes. When this one dies, that's what I'm getting.

What I have is a beefy Alu frame, if you can afford it, I feel that's the way to go. Bosch has promised long term support for their motors, I'd go for one of theirs. There's lots of choices, my wife has a Trek Verve ebike, and loves it. I wasn't really a fan of the tires, and swapped them out for Marathon Supremes.

We have mid drives, and that's what I suggest if anyone asks. But a rear hub motor would simplify matters, if you use the Riv.
Old 01-29-21, 02:12 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 623 Posts
I had a fairly powerful 1000w, 48V motor (with a 30 amp controller and 52V battery was more like 1500w) in a late 80's - 90's Diamondback Axis frame (constructed with light tubing) and it handles perfectly up to 35 mph top speed. Riv's aren't known for lightweight tubing; doubt you'll have trouble with 750w. The bigger question is do you want hub (excellent for street and mild ascents) or mid (excellent for off road and ascending tortuous ascents). The Riv should be a good candidate for either.

Last edited by 2old; 01-30-21 at 10:54 PM.
Old 01-30-21, 10:12 PM
LeeG

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
Thank all. I’m in hilly country with dirt roads and trails the main use so mid-drive makes sense. Utilitarian use so shocks not necessary but might be nice.. I’m past age and fitness to climb 10% grades so I’m back to the riding I did as a kid, ride down big hills and walk up them. I like how the Clem handles trails.
Old 01-30-21, 10:57 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Just don’t let the ROB dox you
Old 02-06-21, 03:16 PM
LeeG