Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Putting bike on a trailer

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-23, 06:55 AM
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5473 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 239 Posts

I am looking for the easiest way of securing a bike to a trailer. I have a simple Harbor Freight trailer. Right now I've got one of those clamps that holds the frame upright by clamping to the front axel. Wish I could dispense with the hassle of removing the front wheel. I'd like to just lay the bike down on it's side and maybe hold it there with velcro. I can make a metal or wooden fixture. Just wondering if anyone has already done the brainwork and they could save me that trouble. (I would be hauling the bike without the storage bin on there.) Thanks.

Old 07-02-23, 07:05 AM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 274 Posts
Why bother, the scrap recyclers in my town just pile them up.
Attached Images
Likes For soyabean:
Old 07-02-23, 08:05 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Laying the bike flat would be my least desirable option, especially on an open -frame trailer like that.
what you've got is both pretty simple and secure, other than having to stow the front wheel separately.

To avoid removing the wheel; I'd use one of those upright tray carriers, intended for a roof rack, and just bolt it straight to the trailer frame. No breaking down the bike, and load / unload is quick and pretty much toll-free
(RockyMounts Tomahawk shown, but there are literally dozens of similar)
Likes For Ironfish653:
Old 07-02-23, 08:28 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
What's your budget?

It wouldn't be very difficult to buy a rooftop tray that holds a complete bike and just bolt it on. Those are a couple hundred bucks new though.

Another option, browse facebook marketplace for a while, sometimes people sell or give away older hitch mounted tray style racks. Sometimes ones that have been rear ended so one tray is damaged and the other is fine. Something like that would be a great base to bolt to the trailer.

I assume you aren't taking the bike on long trips but you definitely want to be mindful so you don't create a projectile for other drivers.
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 07-04-23, 06:26 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
What you're doing now is in my opinion by far the best simple and inexpensive way to do it. It's the way I'd do it for sure. I've transported bikes in the back of my pickup and Suburban for hundreds of times over 20 years that way. Removing and replacing the front wheel will become second nature, a minute each way.

But as rosefarts said, for between $2-300 (or less - I've bought a couple used on CL and FB) you can get a roof top type rack that holds the bike without removing the front wheel. You could probably easily figure out how to bolt onto the trailer. I have two of those types - a Yakima Front Loader and a Yakima Raptor (I'm into the Yakima key system for several things so just stick with them - there's other, similar, good companies). They both work fine and should be easy to use on a low trailer like that; I'd probably recommend the less expensive one.

If you stick with what you have, you can get a locking fork mount for a bit of security. All the roof-type racks will have locking mechanisms of various types.

Last edited by Camilo; 07-04-23 at 06:44 PM.
Old 07-04-23, 07:05 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 682 Times in 328 Posts
I think your current solution is a very good one! Lying the bike down would be my very last option.

If you want to transport the bike without removing the wheel, as above I'd recommend sourcing a second-hand roof-top carrier or hitch-mount carrier, then modifying it to mount to your trailer. That'd likely work a treat.
Likes For tempocyclist:
Old 07-04-23, 07:55 PM
Bmach

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
The only thing I can think that might help is to enclose under the bike to cut down on road dust or stones or anything else.

Last edited by Bmach; 07-04-23 at 07:59 PM.
Old 07-05-23, 06:59 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
You can put a plywood floor on that trailer. From that pretty easy to make a wood holding fixture that screws to the decking. If you notice there are slots in the side rails for installing 2x4 uprights for sideboards. Put in upright 2x4's, screw hangers on the inboard side of that, then just hang the bikes like a rear rack, velcro strapping them in place.

Third option would be a center board with top tube hangers coming out of either side. Might make it easier to load and unload bikes. Wouldn't take much thought to make something that bolts in or is held with pins.

I have the folding 8' version of that same trailer. I put down decking and removable side and front/back rails. Can do pretty much anything from that.

BTW I like your current set up. But I would add the decking no matter what you do.

Another idea I built these wheel chocks from scrap plywood for my bike shed. Use screws and they can be custom built to fit each bike. Put a pair of these at the front, then strap the back of each bike to an upright 2x4.

Bike chocks in the bike shed

Last edited by Pop N Wood; 07-05-23 at 09:12 AM.
Likes For Pop N Wood:
Old 07-08-23, 03:00 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
What you have is mechanically very strong with the fork secured to the trailer. Clamping to a front wheel or top tube is going to have more bike wobble as you arive, especially with those small tires.
Old 07-10-23, 05:49 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 305 Times in 217 Posts
A few years ago I did the Seattle to Portland ride (I think it is this coming weekend) and I flew out and rented a bike from a Seattle bike shop who said they would deliver it to my hotel.

It arrived on this cool setup:

Likes For jpescatore: