Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Stop Swap And Save

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Stop Swap And Save

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-23, 04:25 PM
kingsting
Bicycle Repairman

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 18 Posts
Registered for the show last week. I'll have my own table this year instead of dumping a few bikes and parts at my buddy's stand. I have a lot of new and used parts to clear out (I need the space) and a few bikes. Even bribed the wife into coming along and helping out. Looking forward to this one as always!
Likes For kingsting:
Old 02-17-23, 12:30 PM
mirfi

Bikes: Vilano Urbana, DownTube FS9, Montaque paratrooper, Nano mini-velo, Motobecane CX, Raleigh 20, MIFA folder, ROG Pony, Iverson Grand Touring folder, Exclusiv German folder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by kingsting
Registered for the show last week. I'll have my own table this year instead of dumping a few bikes and parts at my buddy's stand. I have a lot of new and used parts to clear out (I need the space) and a few bikes. Even bribed the wife into coming along and helping out. Looking forward to this one as always!
Maybe I'll see ya. Anything distinguishing? I should be wearing a red "Tour Dem Parks" t-shirt.

I volunteered the last couple of years. It will be good not to get there at 0600. I hope the the fields are not too muddy to park on.
Likes For mirfi:
Old 02-18-23, 07:12 AM
kingsting
Bicycle Repairman

Originally Posted by mirfi
Maybe I'll see ya. Anything distinguishing? I should be wearing a red "Tour Dem Parks" t-shirt.

I volunteered the last couple of years. It will be good not to get there at 0600. I hope the the fields are not too muddy to park on.
I'll have three tables worth of parts stacked on one table... My wife is in charge of making them all go away and she's manning the space. She'll have a look of disgust on her face. Hoping to take along a nice shiny purple 2002 Klein Quantum road bike and stuff that in the spot someplace.
Old 02-18-23, 07:54 AM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 404 Posts
C**p! I just got tracking on a set of custom wheels, Fedex says (I presume due to value) a signature is required... and estimated delivery is tomorrow, 02/19/23! Well, there is always next year.

Old 02-18-23, 06:14 PM
brandenjs
WV is not flat..

Bikes: 1 away from divorce!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 176 Posts
Loaded and ready to go! Hopefully there is a great turn out. Plenty to sell.
Likes For brandenjs:
Old 02-20-23, 06:31 AM
kingsting
Bicycle Repairman

OK, who went? Saw a few of our forum regulars there. Attendance was way up this year and this was probably one of the best ones yet. Everybody that I talked to that was vending did really well.

Saw a bit of a shift in the show as a lot of old school/mid school BMX guys came and they were hungry! Sold all my BMX almost instantly. They cleaned out one of my buddy's spaces like squirrels raiding a bird feeder! He said he wished he would have brought more.

I really enjoyed this one and we were steady busy right up to 1-1:30 at least.
Old 02-20-23, 12:17 PM
mirfi

Bikes: Vilano Urbana, DownTube FS9, Montaque paratrooper, Nano mini-velo, Motobecane CX, Raleigh 20, MIFA folder, ROG Pony, Iverson Grand Touring folder, Exclusiv German folder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 119 Posts
Came home Monday(today). Wife and I make a weekend out of it. We stay in Westminster. We eat at Baughers, go to a few other local resturants/bars. I go to the Swap meet on Sunday for a few hours, she gets to sleep in. A lazy weekend.

The line was forming at 0800. After watching vendors with full arms struggle to open the front door I decided to be a door man instead of waiting in line. Great weather, no pandemic. And people selling/buying bicycles and bicycle stuff. One cool buy was a Schwinn (Stingray?) with coaster brakes for $100. Looked great, like it sat in a garage for 50 years. Just that layer of dust. Lots of bicycles got moved.

I had nothing to sell, nothing to buy and was basically a tourist. Got to meet a few friends. Looked at lots and lots of stuff. Bought a bunch of tubes, they were 10 for $12. Bought some new gloves and wired computers for $5 each. I knew to carry $500 in cash in case something caught my eye, but nothing did. Wife was surprized I came back without a bike.

Many vendors, many specialties, many people people dumping their treasures. A few tables that looked like they bought out a shop that went under and they were dumping the stock for whatever they could get.

You know, this 'meet' reminds me of what they used to call the Rocky Mountain Rendezvous, but with bicycles instead of animal skins.

And all that for a $10 entrance fee.
Likes For mirfi:
Old 02-21-23, 07:02 AM
kingsting
Bicycle Repairman

I had hoped to escape the show without buying a bike but towards the end of the show a purple Klein mountain bike that was reasonably priced became a smoking deal and I couldn't leave it behind!

I sold three of the four bikes I took along so i guess it was OK that I brought a new one home.
Likes For kingsting:
Old 02-21-23, 12:28 PM
jgedwa
surly old man

Bikes: IRO Mark V, Karate Monkey half fat, Trek 620 IGH, Cannondale 26/24 MTB, Amp Research B3, and more.

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 18 Posts
...a purple Klein mountain bike....
Pics please!
Old 02-21-23, 06:26 PM
brandenjs
WV is not flat..

Bikes: 1 away from divorce!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 176 Posts
OK, who went? Saw a few of our forum regulars there. Attendance was way up this year and this was probably one of the best ones yet. Everybody that I talked to that was vending did really well.

Saw a bit of a shift in the show as a lot of old school/mid school BMX guys came and they were hungry! Sold all my BMX almost instantly. They cleaned out one of my buddy's spaces like squirrels raiding a bird feeder! He said he wished he would have brought more.

I really enjoyed this one and we were steady busy right up to 1-1:30 at least.
I did really well. Sold 6 out of 8 bikes that I took down and a ton of small parts and pieces. Cut some really good deals on most everything just to clean out. One of the bikes I brought home I was really on the fence about selling anyway, so I call that a win. Great folks and fun conversations. Great to meet so many bike nerds like me.
Likes For brandenjs:
Old 02-22-23, 07:08 AM
kingsting
Bicycle Repairman

Originally Posted by jgedwa
Pics please!
Likes For kingsting:
Old 02-22-23, 05:52 PM
jgedwa
surly old man

Bikes: IRO Mark V, Karate Monkey half fat, Trek 620 IGH, Cannondale 26/24 MTB, Amp Research B3, and more.

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 18 Posts
Nice bike. I have a soft spot for Kleins. Jim
Likes For jgedwa:
Old 02-23-23, 09:53 AM
kingsting
Bicycle Repairman

Originally Posted by jgedwa
Nice bike. I have a soft spot for Kleins. Jim
Me too... Especially when they're purple and close to my size... Add one more to the lineup... Why not?
Old 02-23-23, 04:57 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
I went a few years ago and had fun looking for a tourer but didn't find one. Figured it would be a great way to unload a bunch of my own stuff but would need at least one other person to go with me for the day, plus it's three hours one way to attend and the hassle factor mounts when you add in boxes and tubs of parts. Wears me out just thinking about it.