Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Your favorite taillight under $50

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Your favorite taillight under $50

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-23, 08:45 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,376 Times in 1,580 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Nice bike! I used to ride with the builder's son.
No kidding? Well, I'm gonna need some details.

Gordon built this for me around 1989, and it was his 33rd single frame (he did a lot of tandems too).
I've put a bit more than 60,000 miles on it, and it's held up pretty well.
Dave Huff, who sort of took over for Gordon, repainted it and spread the rear end to 130mm around 2007.

Steve in Peoria
Old 05-30-23, 08:50 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6971 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
No kidding? Well, I'm gonna need some details.

Gordon built this for me around 1989, and it was his 33rd single frame (he did a lot of tandems too).
I've put a bit more than 60,000 miles on it, and it's held up pretty well.
Dave Huff, who sort of took over for Gordon, repainted it and spread the rear end to 130mm around 2007.

Steve in Peoria
His son, John, had just had his frame repainted, and had not yet built it up again. He was showing it to us, and I said, "Hey, wait a minute -- your NAME is on the frame!" He had built it with his dad.

Like yours, his is a beautifully fillet brazed frame. I love lugs, but sometimes I think fillet brazing is even prettier.
Old 05-30-23, 08:55 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
I'm very happy with my B&M Toplight Line Small. It was $26 when I bought it, now up to $31. I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

(Vendor pic, not mine.)
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 05-30-23 at 01:56 PM.
Old 05-30-23, 09:22 AM
steelbikeguy

Originally Posted by Koyote
His son, John, had just had his frame repainted, and had not yet built it up again. He was showing it to us, and I said, "Hey, wait a minute -- your NAME is on the frame!" He had built it with his dad.

Like yours, his is a beautifully fillet brazed frame. I love lugs, but sometimes I think fillet brazing is even prettier.
Fillet brazing was uncommon back in '89, but it made a lot of sense for tandems.
Nowadays, it just looks like the aluminum or carbon frames, with one tube flowing into another.

At least it's got a nice headbadge...

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 05-30-23, 09:53 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
I can't seem to kill mine (original? Planet Bike Super Flash), maybe 1 out of 3 that I bought, is unreliable? much better units out there, I guess. started using mine in 2008? on the road, I use 2, 1 on rear rack & 1 on left drop bar. I've shared these before, so excuse me for doing it again. I use them w/ a rear reflector but there's a newer model w/ a built in reflector
so many diff. ways to mount them, but I do like using an elastic to be sure they don't dis-mount, unintentionally
when I sell/buy bikes I just move the mount, or make a new mount

I like them because
they are durable,
use common 2 AAA batteries
I don't have to remember to charge them
it's easy enough to carry an extra 2 AAAs
when I was commuting, I used rechargeables & kept a charger at home & in the office, just in case
easy to mount

the choices out there are mind boggling, good luck w/ your choice!

Last edited by rumrunn6; 05-30-23 at 11:58 AM.
Old 05-30-23, 10:35 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1670 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 1,062 Posts
I've become a fan of the Cateye lights, partly because of their design experience, and partly because they try to standardize on the light mounts. They also sell the mounts separately, so I can buy a single light and install mounting brackets on all of my bikes. With the modern rubber straps, this is less of an issue.

Looking at their latest tail lights, it appears that they are only offering usb charging now.
The Cateye Reflexes, Tight Kinetic and Omnis taillamps use AAA batteries.

The Reflexes are also approved reflectors, if one lives in a jurisdiction that requires both a lamp and a reflector.
Old 05-30-23, 11:06 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
I can't seem to kill mine, maybe 1 out of 3 that I bought, is unreliable? ...
I like them because
they are durable,
use common 2 AAA batteries
I don't have to remember to charge them
I have bought a lot of devices over the years that have Li Ion batteries that die before the device does. I try to avoid buying anything that has a non-user replaceable battery. Thus, I am sold on the AAA lights, and the Planet Bike ones became my favorites.

Back end of my light touring bike in the photo, on the left is the Superflash. On the right is the Superflash 65. Superflash has a tightly focused beam, the Superflash 65 has a wide and high beam, I only use the 65 on hilly or winding roads were traffic is much less likely to be directly behind me. I wrapped some rubber from an innertube around the rack to make it thicker where I mounted the seat stay light mounts so that they would fit better.

There is a plain reflector on the center of the rack. And the light on the fender is a dyno powered Pixeo with the optional wire guard.

I only use the rack in the photo for touring, and I did a two week bike tour last month, photo was taken before I removed the rack a week ago.

Right now, that bike has a light duty Nitto rack with a single Planet bike tailight on it, along with the fender mounted light.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 05-30-23, 11:37 AM
steelbikeguy

Originally Posted by tcs
The Cateye Reflexes, Tight Kinetic and Omnis taillamps use AAA batteries.

The Reflexes are also approved reflectors, if one lives in a jurisdiction that requires both a lamp and a reflector.
that's good to hear! There's definitely a place for lights that don't need to be plugged into a usb charger.
Personally, I like the idea of using a single AA versus two AAA's... but that's a minor issue.
As noted elsewhere, there's something to be said for a light that doesn't get tossed into the trash as soon as the lithium battery wears out!
I still have a Vistalite tail light on one bike, and that light must be close to 20 years old.

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 05-30-23, 11:56 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Back end of my light touring bike in the photo, on the left is the Superflash. On the right is the Superflash 65. Superflash has a tightly focused beam, the Superflash 65 has a wide and high beam, I only use the 65 on hilly or winding roads were traffic is much less likely to be directly behind me. I wrapped some rubber from an innertube around the rack to make it thicker where I mounted the seat stay light mounts so that they would fit better.
There is a plain reflector on the center of the rack. And the light on the fender is a dyno powered Pixeo with the optional wire guard.
I only use the rack in the photo for touring, and I did a two week bike tour last month, photo was taken before I removed the rack a week ago.
Right now, that bike has a light duty Nitto rack with a single Planet bike tailight on it, along with the fender mounted light.
oh man, love the redundancy!
Old 05-30-23, 12:06 PM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by philbob57
I bought a Planet Bike something Rojo yesterday, in part because it included a seat stay mount. Alas, it's way too big for my vintage bike, and I imagine it's too big for some modern bikes, too. Ah, well ... better too big than too small. It's a PITA to find the right thickness for the spacer, but it's doable
you might be able to make your own mount out of perforated metal strapping, a bolt, nut & some washers. that kind of metal strapping is easy to cut/break w/ just pliers bending it back & forth. I was frustrated w/ mine as well because of where I wanted to mount it. there's a photo in my reply but here it is again. may not be pretty, but the mount has been so durable for over 5? years
Old 05-30-23, 01:06 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Planet Bike Superflash Turbo is the only tail light I've found to be suitable for long distance riding like randonneuring. I tape them shut and bring a set of spare batteries for long rides.

I've had 3-4 hotshots and they all fail with the same failure mode.

My Varia is my backup/redundant rear light (two mounted tail lights are required for randonneuring) but it has significant runtime limitations
Old 05-30-23, 02:32 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
oh man, love the redundancy!
Less redundant than it looks. When touring, my dynohub is charging batteries, the dyno powered light is off. And when touring, unless it is foggy or otherwise poor visibility, I only have one of the other lights on in flash mode, that is one less set of batteries that I have to charge from my dynohub later.

This is redundancy. I was walking down the street and saw this, had to take a photo, below.

Old 05-30-23, 03:19 PM
ARider2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Less redundant than it looks. When touring, my dynohub is charging batteries, the dyno powered light is off. And when touring, unless it is foggy or otherwise poor visibility, I only have one of the other lights on in flash mode, that is one less set of batteries that I have to charge from my dynohub later.

This is redundancy. I was walking down the street and saw this, had to take a photo, below.

WOW!!!! Talk about redundancy. Never enough taillights for some. I might worry about attracting drivers toward it something like how moths are attracted to light. It always amazes me how bad drivers (mostly drunk) plow into police cruisers that are parked with their emergency beacons flashing.
Likes For ARider2:
Old 05-30-23, 03:33 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
on my randonneuring bike, I have 2 mounts for battery taillights plus the dynohub powered light on the fender. I don't use both battery lights at once though. I usually have the battery lights on flashing
Old 05-30-23, 04:22 PM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by unterhausen
on my randonneuring bike, I have 2 mounts for battery taillights plus the dynohub powered light on the fender. I don't use both battery lights at once though. I usually have the battery lights on flashing
The brevet I did a week and a half ago I had one flasher turned on mounted on the seatstay, spare flasher with fresh batteries in my handlebar bag that fits in the same seatstay mount, and the dyno powered taillight on the fender (and headlamp) were turned on. I think you have seen photos of my rando bike lighting before at:
https://www.bikeforums.net/electroni...b-charger.html
Old 05-30-23, 05:44 PM
rumrunn6

wow
Old 05-31-23, 12:11 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts

That top light, the cateye pickle was great in its day.

Current favourite is the Cygolite hotrod. Great for seat stay mounting. Nice selection of modes.
Old 05-31-23, 07:35 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,437 Posts
Originally Posted by BCDrums
I'll never know if a safety taillight has ever saved my tail, will I?
I think whether it saves you is unknowable. You can only know if it DOESN'T work.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 06-01-23, 06:15 AM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by noglider
I think whether it saves you is unknowable. You can only know if it DOESN'T work.
Decades ago I stopped at a stop light that had just turned red, was riding a motorcycle that I had commuted on for 12 years. The guy behind me was sure he could make it thru the light before it turned red if he floored it. Totaled the motorcycle and I had trouble walking for quite a while after that. If on a sunny day someone does not see the bright brake light on a motorcycle that weighed about 350 pounds, I doubt a bicycle with a flasher will do the job either.

But we are in a world of averages, and on average you are more likely to be seen in daytime with a flashing taillight on. Nothing will prevent it, but there are ways to minimize your risk.

I did my first trip with ACA in 2012, on day one I rode with a flashing taillight, none of the dozen other riders did. At the end of the week, apparently two others had noticed my taillight, they were using theirs too. Things have really changed, now I even see flashing taillights on gravel rail trails where there are no motor vehicles (other than the e-bikes that pretend to not be motor vehicles).

If I had not been run into on my motorcycle back in the 1980s, I am not sure if I would have been one of the first to be using a red flasher in daytime or not. That experience likely had a part in my decision to use one.
Old 06-01-23, 07:52 AM
rumrunn6

I know for sure, that adding a strobe to my left drop, bar keeps ppl from moving right prematurely. after passing the rear light, it's another reminder that they still have further to go, before going back to center lane

& it gets me more courtesy room

having just a light on the back of the bike, is not as good
Old 06-01-23, 07:57 AM
rumrunn6

Decades ago I stopped at a stop light that had just turned red, was riding a motorcycle that I had commuted on for 12 years. The guy behind me was sure he could make it thru the light before it turned red if he floored it. Totaled the motorcycle and I had trouble walking for quite a while after that
glad that wasn't worse
during covid, a work colleague was rear ended on his motorcycle, at a red light & suffered many broken bones. thankfully he recovered & is working & riding a bicycle again (on paved trails). he's married now, bought a house & isn't going back to a motorcycle
Old 06-06-23, 09:54 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
It's been a while since I've bought a new light, so I can only offer some observations on what I see around me.

My lights are a bit older and use batteries. I've used the Superflash and liked the electronics and optics, but had some issues with the mechanics of it. I'm currently using some Cateyes that use a single AA nimh battery, and have been quite happy with them.

Any of these battery lights have used a rather focused beam that is perhaps 5 degrees wide. I think they do this to optimize the visibility directly in line with the light while using little electrical power. This increases the run time, meaning you don't have to take it off the bike and open it up very often to charge the batteries. The downside is that these lights require careful alignment of the light to get that narrow beam of light aimed horizontally.

New bikes are less likely to use round bars and tubes, and the trend seems to use the rubber (or silicone) straps to mount the light to these oddly shaped surfaces. This means that the user isn't going to aim them carefully, so they have to have a much wider beam. This means that they use a lot more electrical power and need to be recharged more often. Fortunately, with the usb connectors and the rubber straps, it's not hard to pull the light off the bike and charge it up. It appears that the manufacturers have decided that if you have to charge it more often, they might as well have the lights be very bright, even if the run time is just a few hours. A bright light is usually safer, and is more impressive in the store.

For most folks, they are well served with a very bright light that can be recharged after each use. For those that need/want a light that can run for 20 or 30 hours, they will probably want a light powered by AA or AAA cells.

I've become a fan of the Cateye lights, partly because of their design experience, and partly because they try to standardize on the light mounts. They also sell the mounts separately, so I can buy a single light and install mounting brackets on all of my bikes. With the modern rubber straps, this is less of an issue.

Looking at their latest tail lights, it appears that they are only offering usb charging now. In my perfect world, they would use a AA Nimh battery inside, but I'm sure that they are using a lithium battery. I suspect that they would perform well anyway.
https://cateyeamerica.com/collection...-safety-lights
I've been using CatEye lights for a while. I'm actually looking at the Viz 450 taillight to replace my current Rapid X2. My only question is, will the SP-15 bracket, which comes with the Viz series, fit my Specialized Pave seatpost? CatEye describes the bracket as designed for "aero seatposts," but I can't tell whether it's wide enough for the Pave seatpost just by looking at it.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 06-07-23, 05:04 AM
steelbikeguy

Originally Posted by daihard
I've been using CatEye lights for a while. I'm actually looking at the Viz 450 taillight to replace my current Rapid X2. My only question is, will the SP-15 bracket, which comes with the Viz series, fit my Specialized Pave seatpost? CatEye describes the bracket as designed for "aero seatposts," but I can't tell whether it's wide enough for the Pave seatpost just by looking at it.
The website for the ViZ450 says:
Mount size:φ21.5-32.0 mm. Fits up to 130 mm outer circumference (SP-15)
If that's not sufficient info, you can always try using their customer support service to ask a more detailed question. I don't recall how good their customer support is, but I think I've had good experiences.

Steve in Peoria
Old 06-07-23, 09:47 AM
Tourist in MSN

In post 32 above, I had a photo of the rack I use for touring on my light touring bike, with lights mounted to it. I mentioned that I only use that rack for touring, for riding around near home use a lighter duty rack. That other rack is in the photo below, I hacksawed a piece of angle aluminum to make the light bracket for it.

The rack is a Nitto rack that I picked up at a swap meet.

I also added some red reflective tape to my seatstays.
Old 06-07-23, 10:22 AM
rumrunn6

In post 32 above, I had a photo of the rack I use for touring on my light touring bike, with lights mounted to it. I mentioned that I only use that rack for touring, for riding around near home use a lighter duty rack. That other rack is in the photo below, I hacksawed a piece of angle aluminum to make the light bracket for it.

The rack is a Nitto rack that I picked up at a swap meet.

I also added some red reflective tape to my seatstays.
nice work & it looks like it’s below the rack platform. One of mine was once too high up & my trunk would tap it & angle it down

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.