Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Garmin 530 connection issues

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-23, 09:06 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts

Been using the 530 for a couple of years now. It has connections to Wahoo speed/cadence sensor, Wahoo heart rate sensor, and Bontrager front and rear lights. The GPS is used with the Garmin mount and the front light is on a bracket about 2" below the 530. Tailight is on the seatpost. As long as I've had it, there have been issues with connecting to external sensors/lights. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Often, it won't connect to one or both of the sensors and I have to go into the settings and tell it to connect. Sometimes the light network forms and other times it doesn't.

Recently it has been losing connections to the lights repeatedly during rides. I get the error light xxxx disconnected from the network. After a bit, I see that it is trying to form the light network again. Sometimes it does and sometimes not. It may do this a half dozen times during a 2-3 hour ride. And almost always, by the time the ride is over, both lights are disconnected and have to be turned off manually.

Yesterday, I removed both lights and re-paired them in hopes that it will work better. Since the lights stay on if they become disconnected, it's not a huge deal but kind of annoying.

Have others had this issue? is it just normal behavior?
Old 05-29-23, 09:19 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
My son has several ant+ connected lights on his bike. They seem to be the most prone to doing weird things at times. Though it's only 2 or 3 times a year, not every ride that he has issues. Usually it seems to be after updates, but I'm not going to swear to it since I don't know whether his Edge was updated. I just notice that mine recently did an update and then about that same time I hear about his issue.

Others have posted similar frustrations with lights. One day I'll get some ant+ connected lights for myself and join the crowd to see what the excitement is all about.

Calling Garmin Support might be a good idea. It lets them make another tally mark on their board to know how many of their customers are having an issue. And it gives you a chance to find out if you are doing it right. "It" being the pairing and use of your lights.
Old 05-29-23, 10:40 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2239 Post(s)
Liked 3,434 Times in 1,797 Posts
I have a 530, a Garmin rear light/radar, a Bontrager front light, and a Garmin watch that I use to broadcast heart rate.

If, for example, I neglect to turn the Garmin watch heart rate monitor broadcast on, my Radar will not be connected. There are other permutations of clusterfsck as well.

Another treat is that it might grab control of my wife's light or radar for an additional surprise.
Old 06-01-23, 04:36 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 540 Posts
My 530 was giving me network connection problems (transmitting Live Track through my phone) until I turned of my Network connection on my phone and only ran the bluetooth while riding.
Old 06-04-23, 12:34 AM
Eds0123

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Warbird, (Specially Love my) 2021 Salsa Cutthroat, 2012 Surly LHT, 2015 Surly Cross-Check, 2008 Giant OCR A1, 2005 Leader 735R, 2005 Gary Fisher Montare, 1991 Nishiki Pueblo,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 38 Posts
Also see this thread below, nothing but problems with these garmin units it seems, There are better more up to date navigation technology out there these way surpassing early 2000's garmin technology

https://www.bikeforums.net/electroni...now-alive.html
Old 06-04-23, 12:34 AM
Eds0123

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Warbird, (Specially Love my) 2021 Salsa Cutthroat, 2012 Surly LHT, 2015 Surly Cross-Check, 2008 Giant OCR A1, 2005 Leader 735R, 2005 Gary Fisher Montare, 1991 Nishiki Pueblo,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 38 Posts
Also see this thread below, nothing but problems with these garmin units it seems, There are better more up to date navigation technology out there these way surpassing early 2000's garmin technology

https://www.bikeforums.net/electroni...now-alive.html
Old 06-04-23, 01:51 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
You are more likely to get the help you need on the Garmin forum for these devices.
Old 06-05-23, 08:09 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by Eds0123
I don't want to get into the habit of labeling anyone with whom I disagree a troll. So perhaps you can explain why you think Garmin's still using 20 year old technology?
Old 06-05-23, 11:17 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
Just a quick update on this issue. One thing I forgot to mention initially is that I also had a Cycliq Fly rear camera/light paired to the GPS. I didn't like it being paired because it would turn on the lights and camera as soon as the garmin was turned on as opposed to when I started the ride/timer and it also had the lights on full power and solid instead of flashing, which results in less than needed battery life.

After removing that from the light network, it has been working ok. The last two rides (both more than 3 hours), the front and rear Bontrager lights have worked fine so I suspect there was some conflict with the different devices.

Of course, now I see that Garmin connect has stopped sharing information with the Apple Health App but that is a different story altogether. Sure would be nice if stuff just worked.
Old 06-05-23, 03:58 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,697 Times in 2,518 Posts
Originally Posted by Ogsarg
Of course, now I see that Garmin connect has stopped sharing information with the Apple Health App but that is a different story altogether.
I see loads of troubleshooting tips going way back. Neither company intentionally blocks the transfer, do they? Zwift blocked Apple for a while, apparently there was something security related they didn't like.

Originally Posted by Ogsarg
Sure would be nice if stuff just worked.
I think the same, but it does appear that wahoo also has connectivity issues fairly often. So maybe it's just difficult to keep working because nobody controls the whole process.
Old 06-06-23, 01:16 PM
ElevatedEdge

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek Multitrack 720 (rebuild), Giant Escape 3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
My first thought was interference from another device - glad you were able to figure it out. Also, I wonder what the battery output actually is on your 530 given its age?