Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Can a 6'0" woman use a 5'2" woman's bike?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-12, 11:33 PM
mileena

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi, my mom's husband died recently and she is now giving up her place for a smaller one. She is getting rid of a lot of stuff to save room. She wants to give me her bike. I am a female, almost 6'0" tall. She is 5'2". I chose her now deceased husband's bike instead, since he was about my height (5'11" or 6'2" I think). It is a Mongoose with a quick-release front wheel and seat. My mom wants me to take hers instead though, because she said hers is more expensive (cost over $300) whereas his was cheap, only about $100. I said I think I am too tall, but she says nonsense--just raise the seat higher.

Can this be done, or does the bike go in the trash?

Thanks!
Old 10-13-12, 12:18 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Probably not, but you have to say something about the frame size,
maybe itis Way too big for her, so approaching adequate for you.

Folding bikes are a good shared bike , because of the adjustability
inherent in getting it to fold down, and being made in only 1 size,

Last edited by fietsbob; 10-13-12 at 12:24 AM.
Old 10-13-12, 12:58 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
There area several things to consider, like how hard/long will you ride this thing and what your expectations are. If all you're looking for is "OK for casual, shorter rides" then your acceptance span gets a lot wider than if you want a "ride-anywhere" bike.
First thing is that you should be able to set the saddle height so that your leg is almost straight when the pedal is at its lowest. Any bike that fit that bill is worth considering. Watch the minimum insertion mark.
Next is where the handlebars end up, they need to clear your knees.
If not while standing(as cruisers might not) then definitely while seated.
But yeah, some measurements of the frame would help more than the size of the previous rider.
Old 10-13-12, 01:16 AM
wroomwroomoops
Sir Fallalot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Why not just try to ride it and see how it feels?

The fact that your mom is 5'2" doesn't mean her bike was perfectly suitable for her. Since women's bikes are step-through, I see many women ride bikes that would be considered too big (but who am I to say this, I like riding bikes with frames that are too large for me) for their height.

The fact that her bike cost more, doesn't mean it is better. I doubt any bike could cost $100 in the USA, new. I guess that men's bike was bought used, and might very well be the better bike.
Old 10-13-12, 01:22 AM
wroomwroomoops
Sir Fallalot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Also: NO BIKE GOES INTO THE TRASH!
Nothing wrong having two bikes, or giving one of the bikes for a charitable cause, to a kid that can't afford a bike, for instance. A girl from a poor family would be grateful for a bike she could ride to go to school.
Old 10-13-12, 01:57 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,769 Times in 635 Posts
+1 no bike that is working and rideable should ever go in the trash there are plenty of people that would be ride them happily. As for the size issue at 6ft the op needs a larger bike most of the typical womens bike just won't work right.
Old 10-13-12, 06:49 AM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
+1 on the above

Ride the bike that fits you best and sell the other bike or give it away to charity. I pick up lots of usable bikes from the trash every spring during our citywide cleanup week. Bothers me to see that our disposable society has come to the point that they will throw away a good bike just because a child has outgrown it or it has a flat tire (no kidding, every year I find at least a couple bikes with nothing more wrong that the need for some basic maintenance and a tube or two).

I doubt any bike could cost $100 in the USA, new.
Mongoose Montana Men's Bike retail $149 but can be found on sale for around $99 at big box stores

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...5GSCXNQ3R8CK9P

Last edited by Myosmith; 10-13-12 at 06:54 AM.
Old 10-13-12, 07:05 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Yes, you can.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bikefit.jpg (102.9 KB, 29 views)

Old 10-13-12, 07:52 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,492 Posts
Hi Mileena welcome to forums! I agree witht he others your Mother's bike is likely too small but with knowing the measurements no way to know for sure.

and as Wroom says no reason to toss Mom's bike in the trash, if no one else wants it put it on CL

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 10-13-12, 07:57 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
If she offered you her shoes would you wear them even if they were the wrong size? Bikes are the same way, they should fit, or be made to fit without extreme changes.
Old 10-13-12, 10:25 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
There are often Toy recycling drives for the children, in advance of christmas.
Old 10-13-12, 10:38 AM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
or the second bike could be use for spare parts.
Old 10-13-12, 12:46 PM
mileena

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Yes, you can.

Haha! I love it! Very good pic 10 Wheels.

Thanks for all the replies so far. What I will do is try to find the measurements on the bike and maybe see if I can ride it, if all the parts are there to get the quick-release front wheel on. It's a busy time for everyone as we are moving.

Also, yeah, I would never actually throw it away. We usually give unwanted stuff to Good Will. I might use it for parts, but it's going to be a pain to fit it into storage.
Old 10-13-12, 04:00 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5792 Post(s)
Liked 2,582 Times in 1,432 Posts
Your mom needs room, do her and yourself a favor and take both off her hands, and sort it out later.

You might fit hers, or you may want the larger bike, but might be able to transfer some key components, so you have both a better fit and a better bike, then donate the smaller bike with the less good (worse sounds too negative) components to a charity.

If there's a local bike co-op, or someone who rebuilds bikes for charity in your community, you might combine the change over and donation into a bundled deal, so it cost's you little or nothing.

BTW- there's always the chance that neither is suitable for you, but it's still good. You did your mom a favor, and you have something to donate which when refurbished will make someone very happy.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 10-13-12, 04:30 PM
cale

Bikes: Kuota Ksano. Litespeed T5 gravel - brilliant!

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Ride your dad's bike and give the smaller bike to your shorter girlfriend so you can ride together. Problem solved. :-)
Old 10-13-12, 05:43 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 712 Times in 380 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
If she offered you her shoes would you wear them even if they were the wrong size? Bikes are the same way, they should fit, or be made to fit without extreme changes.
Agreed. You should ride the bigger bike- the smaller one probably is shorter from seat to handlebars. Even if you raise the seat a bunch, you may find yourself in an uncomfortable position due to the handlebars being too close. (I'm 6-foot-4, my wife is 5-foot-10. We know that finding anything that fits can be a struggle.)

FWIW: Please realize that $100 to $300 is still on the "cheap" end of bikes. Among this crowd, "OK" starts at $300, "good" around $500, with the sweet spot of price vs. quality happening around $800 to $1000. (I've got a garage full of bikes, probably about $12,000 worth. Bikes is cheap fun.) That doesn't mean a $300 bike won't be perfectly adequate for you.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 10-13-12, 05:44 PM
LarDasse74

Bikes: I never learned to ride a bike. It is my deepest shame.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
You are better off with a cheap bike that fits than with a fancy bike that doesn't.

But most people who are 5'2" are riding a bike that is too large... if they are not riding a kids bike with 24" wheels. Even then, it would have to be exceptionlly unacceptably too big to be the right size for a 6' tall person.

But, as mentioned and pictured above above, you absolutely can ride a bike that is way too small, you just can't ride it too far. I am 6'5" and used to ride my 5'3" wife's bike to ride to the laundromat and beer store - I wouldn't have done a century on it, but it worked OK for that (two folding baskets that were each a perfect fit for 12 beer and a step through frame so I could mount it with a mountain of laundry on the back).
Old 10-14-12, 03:10 PM
mileena

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi again, well I went to measure the bike and my mom took it with her to storage, along with her furniture. So the point is now moot I guess. We're both moving actually, and a lot is going into (separate) storage for both of us. But I do want to thank everyone here for their kind and thoughtful replies!