Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

So Who Is Fabio Barecci?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

So Who Is Fabio Barecci?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-14, 05:05 PM
Giacomo 1 

Bikes: Colnago Super, Basso Gap, Pogliaghi, Fabio Barecci, Torelli Pista, Miyata 1400A

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
So Who Is Fabio Barecci?

I bought a Fabio Barecci frame about a year and a half ago off of e-bay, and I've been trying to find out who this guy Fabio actually is or was, but I've had no luck whatsoever.

You can pretty much Google any frame builder, and something will come up about them, but not Fabio. The only thing I have found out is I think these bikes were made in Spain by BH cycles sometime in the 90's. I've only seen 4 other Barecci frames in all of my research and they are all in Spain. All of the bikes have the same paint scheme more or less. Most seem to be Columbus Aelle, as mine is, but one was SLX. I believe I might have the only Barecci frame that ever made it to the US.

The frame has some really nice touches to it, and the paint is very Colnago Dream-like, but the dropouts are generic and the tubes are the somewhat lowly Aelle. I over-invested in this frame with all-Campy components. But I will say, while not my best sprinter, this frame gives me solid, all day comfort for a long haul.

So, I'm dying to know who Fabio Barecci is! Sounds Italian to me, not Spanish, but is he real, or some made-up brand because of the cool name? Would BH Bikes just make up a name to sell bikes? Any Spaniards out there? Help...

Old 06-30-14, 05:34 PM
Giacomo 1 

Bikes: Colnago Super, Basso Gap, Pogliaghi, Fabio Barecci, Torelli Pista, Miyata 1400A

**BUMP**

Thought I would bump this thread to see if anybody has any ideas about Signore Barecci. He is an enigma!
Old 06-30-14, 06:55 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,492 Posts
I thought he ewas the guy on the cover of those "Bodice Ripper" Paperbacks by Harlequin

Nice looking bike though, love those funky paint jobs.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 06-30-14, 07:01 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,804 Times in 1,408 Posts
I'll be seeing the North American distributor of BH bikes in a couple of weeks. No guarantees he'll know anything, but I will ask.

Also, Fabio is not on Cycling Archives, he did not race professionally.

Cycling Archives
Old 07-01-14, 02:06 PM
Giacomo 1 

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
I thought he ewas the guy on the cover of those "Bodice Ripper" Paperbacks by Harlequin
For all I know, it might just be that Fabio!

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Nice looking bike though, love those funky paint jobs.
Thank you! It's very Colnago-esque, so it makes me wonder if Fabio ever worked for Colnago, or, he just stole the paint scheme from them!
Old 07-01-14, 02:14 PM
Giacomo 1 

Originally Posted by iab
I'll be seeing the North American distributor of BH bikes in a couple of weeks. No guarantees he'll know anything, but I will ask.
Thanks so much for that iab! Any information you might find is better than what I have now. I am almost 100% sure that these bikes were never imported here, but a North American distributor for the brand might be able to make a call or two to get the scoop on them. They seem to be strictly a made-for-Spain only bike. I have to believe that a Spaniard would remember these bikes, as they seemed fairly popular in that country.

Originally Posted by iab
Also, Fabio is not on Cycling Archives, he did not race professionally.

Cycling Archives
Thanks for the link! Interesting site for sure...
Old 07-01-14, 02:25 PM
Kactus

Bikes: 1962 Schwinn Paramount P12, 1971 Schwinn Paramount P13-9

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Cool bike, you can definitely see it coming with that paint! Maybe it was made by a large contractor for a small shop owned by Fabio?
Old 07-01-14, 02:46 PM
Giacomo 1 

She is definitely a little loud Kactus, that's for sure! When I saw that paint job, I knew I would go a little over-the-top with the accents and add-on's, but for me the result is pretty nice looking.

You may very well be right about Fabio being just a shop owner. I believe BH Bikes actually produced these bikes, and maybe it was for Fabio's shop. The only thing is his autograph adorns the TT, and I would believe that would only be reserved for the frame builder...
Old 07-01-14, 02:56 PM
Kactus

Originally Posted by Giacomo 1
The only thing is his autograph adorns the TT, and I would believe that would only be reserved for the frame builder...
Maybe Fabio is a legend in his own mind.
Old 07-01-14, 02:59 PM
Kactus

Originally Posted by Giacomo 1
She is definitely a little loud Kactus, that's for sure! When I saw that paint job, I knew I would go a little over-the-top with the accents and add-on's, but for me the result is pretty nice looking.
I like loud! Being colorblind, subdued and pastel colors are very plain and indeterminate to me.
Old 09-13-22, 07:30 AM
cartesr@talk21.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi not sure if this thread is still alive but about 12 years ago I bought a Fabio Barecci frame off someone on ebay, I wanted to try a fixed wheel bike and needed a cheap frame after a year on fixed wheel I changed it to geared version. It currently is used as a turbo bike. At the time I couldn't find anything out about the frame or who Fabio Barecci was, and to be honest I thought the name had just been made up and had been resprayed by some one. I was just thinking about the frame today and googled it and lo and behold your pictures were displayed. The frame you have is exactly the same as the one I have same colours, design signature and Aelle tubing.
If you get this message did you ever find out anything more about who Fabio Barecci was

regards

Steve
Old 09-13-22, 01:23 PM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 813 Times in 602 Posts
Now that its bumped anyway....

this looks like OP's and therefore yours found on Spanish Facebook and here (no idea if its a real selling site, or just some Spanish crawler robot collecting ads from the web) said to be in Valencia.

Same model in Germany for sale for EUR300,-

This was/is in France. Looks like the marketing department didn't want to overdo the model names... 300EX... I guess that rarely seeb Suntour gruppo might have been added by the bike shop as part of "renovation"

to be continued....
Old 09-13-22, 01:23 PM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Another in Spain for sale for EUR240: https://es.wallapop.com/item/bicicle...tera-783878765

Old 09-13-22, 01:25 PM
Lattz

one more from Spain

Old 09-13-22, 01:41 PM
Lattz

a yellow one. the model number supports my earlier theory... quite unusual without Martini/Dossena-fanboy paint, but even compared to the red-white in France.

Old 09-13-22, 01:45 PM
Lattz

aaand the - so far - crown jewel of the mysterious Barecci Heritage, one with allegedly SLX tubes and straight chrome fork

Unfortunately the main question remain unanswered. I found no trace of who Barecci was but I'm sure, that this thread became possibly the single biggest info portal for the brand.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 09-14-22, 02:33 AM
cartesr@talk21.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi
many thanks for sharing those. Although the question does still remain who was her, it is interesting to see others for sale. The blue and yellow colours are exactly the same as mine even down to the detail on the chain stays, and there was me thinking the bloke who sold the frame to me had just resprayed it and made it up

thanks
Steve
Old 09-14-22, 04:19 AM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 931 Posts
This one is in Australia:

A couple of frames for sale (in 2011) on a Spanish MTB forum: https://www.foromtb.com/threads/cuad...ndidos.711285/

Last edited by P!N20; 09-14-22 at 04:22 AM.
Old 09-14-22, 08:10 AM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 1,820 Times in 662 Posts
The answer is Franco

much like no cars could be imported into Spain, but car companies could license their designs to be built there. Example: fiat = SEAT.

wanna keep it bike related? CAMPY wasn’t allowed to import so it became this….