Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Possible Shimano spoof

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Possible Shimano spoof

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-23, 12:34 PM
hybridbkrdr
we be rollin'

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 24 Posts
Possible Shimano spoof

I went to Shimanocycle dot com and placed an order for $148. The site asked for a verification code from my bank and the bank sent it by text. When the payment went through I thought it was legit. However, some things stood out. First, the amount that went through was $99. Second, even though the web site says they only send and email once the order is shipped and only charge your card once the order is sent, they charged me right away. And I never got an email saying an order was sent.

When I looked at the charges I noticed it was from Bestduka dot com ID. After I googled that there was a page from Trustpilot they had spoofed Giant. So if this is not legit then where do you make a complaint? I'm in Canada but suspect it may have been done from the US or maybe possibly Russia (given the name duka).
Old 03-02-23, 01:03 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,437 Times in 2,763 Posts
Yes, scam.
Old 03-02-23, 01:04 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
Hopefully you paid with a credit card and can get the charge reversed, because that site is almost certainly a scam.

If the prices are too good to be true, then...well, they're too good to be true.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 03-02-23, 01:15 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Shimano North America uses a dealer system; Shimano is not in the business of retail. The website you mention states that the management team is in Montgomery, Alabama, but provides a contact address of 2 Broadway, New York. I agree that the whole thing is fishy, though I'd try to contact the vendor to gain a greater understanding.

If they don't answer or jerk you around, contest the charges with your CC provider and request a new card number.
If they can provide the tracking information and you can see it was shipped yourself, ride it out and use better sense in the future.
Old 03-02-23, 01:19 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10435 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
I was looking to buy some replacements for my 9 year old Sidi shoes the other day, and just looking at Google Shopping for that model, I found that there were two very different price levels - $350-400, and $80-90. The latter were all "sidishoes.com", which I suspect catches a lot of people who think it must be Sidi's outlet, but I wasn't born yesterday!

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 03-02-23, 01:24 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Yes, scam.
Interesting, but the second article is about a different website, and the first result doesn't definitively state that it's a scam. That first result will likely parallel this thread unless our intrepid OP confirms that their credit card information is without a doubt in the hands of fraudsters!
Old 03-02-23, 01:35 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Originally Posted by hybridbkrdr
I went to Shimanocycle dot com and placed an order for $148. The site asked for a verification code from my bank and the bank sent it by text. When the payment went through I thought it was legit. However, some things stood out. First, the amount that went through was $99. Second, even though the web site says they only send and email once the order is shipped and only charge your card once the order is sent, they charged me right away. And I never got an email saying an order was sent.

When I looked at the charges I noticed it was from Bestduka dot com ID. After I googled that there was a page from Trustpilot they had spoofed Giant. So if this is not legit then where do you make a complaint? I'm in Canada but suspect it may have been done from the US or maybe possibly Russia (given the name duka).
There's no "possible" here. The 'site' in question is obviously a scam; all else aside, it's home to the famous $86.00 Dura Ace Wheel, and the equally-famous 'Shimano black parts clear-out event', etc.
Likes For badger1:
Old 03-02-23, 01:49 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,486 Times in 870 Posts
Posted above, but worth saying a second time - Shimano doesn't sell direct to consumers.

If you want to buy authentic Shimano parts, you need to buy them through an authorized Shimano dealer.

In addition to the scam website(s) out there, there is a lot of fake/counterfeit/stolen Shimano stuff that gets sold through Ebay/Amazon - some of the fake stuff out there is really hard to spot and will be sold in packaging that is/looks authentic.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 03-02-23, 07:57 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
I went to Shimanocycle dot com and placed an order for $148. The site asked for a verification code from my bank and the bank sent it by text.
I don't need to read any further to be suspicious. I hope they didn't clean out your account.
Old 03-02-23, 10:30 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
Shimanocycle.com sounds like a scam out of the gate. Then asking for bank verification codes is like scammers paradise. There are more red flags than a a government rally in the Soviet Union.

Always go for Authorized Dealers you pay the correct amount for product but you get all the warranties and support for it and you have the satisfaction of knowing you have a legitimate product. You also are less likely to have any credit card issues and you aren't supporting scam artists and people making knockoffs.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 03-04-23, 05:13 PM
7up

Bikes: Aurelia*Bianchi*Cannondale*Colnago*Dahon*Giant*Haro*Lynsky*Monkey Faction*Origin8*Panasonic*Paramont*Peugeot*Ross*Schwinn*SE*Specialized*Trek

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts
I loath scammers of any kind.
Likes For 7up:
Old 03-04-23, 06:18 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
I don't need to read any further to be suspicious. I hope they didn't clean out your account.
I was just about to say, the OP should see if they need to change their password or something.
Old 03-04-23, 06:35 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
I was just about to say, the OP should see if they need to change their password or something.
Or more likely, change their CC or bank account number.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 03-08-23, 01:13 PM
hybridbkrdr
we be rollin'

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 24 Posts
What government agency can you use to take this site down?
Old 03-08-23, 01:23 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
How much money were you hoping to save?
Old 03-08-23, 06:58 PM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 913 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
Don't know about Canada but down here generally the state Attorney General in the state you live in has a website to report things like this. Not that it does any good.