Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Just so everyone knows

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Just so everyone knows

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-23, 02:55 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I bought my car in 2016. I was surprised that it came with a CD player. I have a bunch in my glove box and under the front passenger seat left over from a drive to Vermont last June for a bike tour.
My estimate from this chart is about 40 million CD sales in the USA in 2021. Down 95% from the peak in 2000.

Otto
Old 03-12-23, 02:58 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,545 Times in 7,329 Posts
Originally Posted by ofajen
My estimate from this chart is about 40 million CD sales in the USA in 2021. Down 95% from the peak in 2000.
Otto
I can’t remember the last time I bought one.

One thing I really like when bike touring is coming across old “technology.” In 2017 I stayed at a campground in Montana that had a working pay phone in a booth. I’ve seen Red Box machines and even VHS tapes for rent in local stores.

Last edited by indyfabz; 03-12-23 at 03:04 PM.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-12-23, 03:43 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10425 Post(s)
Liked 11,898 Times in 6,094 Posts
Originally Posted by ofajen

Otto
Seems about right. My wife's Sienna and my Outback (2001 and 2002) both came with cassette deck/CD changer. When I replaced the Subaru with a Dodge in 2014, it came with a single CD player which also had both a USB port and Bluetooth for connecting a phone. The first few years, I mostly listened to CDs, and kept about half a dozen in the console. Now it's all on the iPhone. I suspect newer models can't even handle a CD.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 03-12-23, 04:20 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8280 Post(s)
Liked 9,041 Times in 4,475 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Dont feel bad for r******** riders, clear back in the 30s they were banned from racing. They flogged the holy grail of speed. A second class rider beat the fastest of the day!!!
You start a thread complaining about the talk of speed, then post about how recumbents are faster. Weird. Still trying to slip your agenda into the thread.

Nobody has said anything disparaging 'bents. People have mentioned riding them in this thread. I can't recall anyone on the forum ever seriously saying anything against them, except maybe questioning their climbing. I have mentioned riding with them many times. I rode with one today and he dropped me. To be fair, he hadn't done any climbing this morning and I had. He was friendly and we had a nice chat. Maybe I'll see him again.
Likes For big john:
Old 03-12-23, 04:22 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,511 Times in 3,353 Posts
My riding is all about getting to the destination.

Sometimes fast, sometimes slow.

At times I'd like to get there just a little bit quicker. However, if the end of the ride is 100 or 150 miles away, it will take some time.
Old 03-12-23, 04:39 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4946 Post(s)
Liked 8,087 Times in 3,826 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Seems about right. My wife's Sienna and my Outback (2001 and 2002) both came with cassette deck/CD changer. When I replaced the Subaru with a Dodge in 2014, it came with a single CD player which also had both a USB port and Bluetooth for connecting a phone. The first few years, I mostly listened to CDs, and kept about half a dozen in the console. Now it's all on the iPhone. I suspect newer models can't even handle a CD.
My ‘17 Ford Explorer does not have a CD player.
Old 03-12-23, 04:41 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
2023 Subaru has a cd player still. Touch screen, Apple car play, all the absurd safety cameras and sensors...plus a cd player.
It's a funny thing to think about.
Why is that funny? Don't you think there are plenty of people who haven't digitized their CD collection?
Likes For Lombard:
Old 03-12-23, 04:43 PM
rudypyatt

Bikes: Windsor TimeLine; Linus Gaston 3; Sears Free Spirit

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1
Since this is a thread about nothing ... nothing at all ... other than 'do what you like', we should have a soundtrack.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZfCMg93SpM
My favorite track on the album. Cream was headed in this direction at the end in “What A Bringdown”:

Likes For rudypyatt:
Old 03-12-23, 04:51 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
Why is that funny? Don't you think there are plenty of people who haven't digitized their CD collection?
Well if asked to explain why something is funny, it quickly becomes unfunny to all.
But here we go...
I find humor in the juxtaposition of all that technology, but also a cd player. It sits next to a touchscreen infotainment system that uses GPS to show me my route and tell me where to go while simultaneously streaming music or podcasts.

It's like a new car from 2008 having a tape deck. I get it, there may be a use case, but it's the minority and the antiquated tech sitting next to the newly created/adopted tech is just funny to me.
I was genuinely surprised when I saw one was in rhe car- certainly wasn't expected.

I haven't digitized my cds. I honestly can't even imagine doing that, it seems too overwhelming to even think about undertaking. They sit in the many large books and get used when my kids ask me to.picl some music out and tell them how close in age to them I was when I came out, as well as I do on the singer/group.
Where would I even keep all that music?
Old 03-12-23, 05:13 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked 5,639 Times in 2,921 Posts
And finally the thread turns civilized.

Old 03-12-23, 05:15 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Well if asked to explain why something is funny, it quickly becomes unfunny to all.
But here we go...
I find humor in the juxtaposition of all that technology, but also a cd player. It sits next to a touchscreen infotainment system that uses GPS to show me my route and tell me where to go while simultaneously streaming music or podcasts.

It's like a new car from 2008 having a tape deck. I get it, there may be a use case, but it's the minority and the antiquated tech sitting next to the newly created/adopted tech is just funny to me.
I was genuinely surprised when I saw one was in rhe car- certainly wasn't expected.

I haven't digitized my cds. I honestly can't even imagine doing that, it seems too overwhelming to even think about undertaking. They sit in the many large books and get used when my kids ask me to.picl some music out and tell them how close in age to them I was when I came out, as well as I do on the singer/group.
Where would I even keep all that music?
Well not to get too off-topic, but if you haven't digitized the CD's of the music you like most, how do you listen to it in the car? I know there is Pandora which I use mostly at home, but then where you are out of range of a signal, well.........no music.
Old 03-12-23, 05:26 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10425 Post(s)
Liked 11,898 Times in 6,094 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
There's a not-very-nice part of me that always wants to respond to comments like this with something like "Bite me!". Sarcastically, of course, but still. I will forbear to do so, however.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 03-12-23, 05:27 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22598 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
It won’t last.
Old 03-12-23, 05:32 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,297 Times in 2,947 Posts
Don't you think there are plenty of people who haven't digitized their CD collection?
I haven't digitized my cds. I honestly can't even imagine doing that, it seems too overwhelming to even think about undertaking.
CDs are already digitized ...
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 03-12-23, 05:34 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
thank you for your contribution to furthering the discussion. There was no confusion before, but now there will for sure be no confusion.
Old 03-12-23, 05:37 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
SMH. Yes, I know CD's are digital. I used the wrong word. I meant ripped and sync'd to an MP3 player.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 03-12-23, 05:38 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Well not to get too off-topic, but if you haven't digitized the CD's of the music you like most, how do you listen to it in the car? I know there is Pandora which I use mostly at home, but then where you are out of range of a signal, well.........no music.
Amazon subscription music.
I have yet to search for a song to add to one of my playlists and it not be available. 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s, 10s, present day- music from all those decades and for years I have accessed everything I've wanted.

I have come upon no signal 3x in the last 3 years(covid spring to now). Twice during gravel rides in a remote county here in Iowa, and once a month ago at a gravel race in Mississippi.
If I wanted, I could download the Amazon songs so they could play from my phone instead of streaming, but I haven't found that to be needed.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 03-12-23, 05:45 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Amazon subscription music.
I have yet to search for a song to add to one of my playlists and it not be available. 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s, 10s, present day- music from all those decades and for years I have accessed everything I've wanted.

I have come upon no signal 3x in the last 3 years(covid spring to now). Twice during gravel rides in a remote county here in Iowa, and once a month ago at a gravel race in Mississippi.
If I wanted, I could download the Amazon songs so they could play from my phone instead of streaming, but I haven't found that to be needed.
Hmmm. I travel to plenty of areas where a cell signal is either spotty or non-existant. So streaming would be problematic for me. And I found out recently that Pandora doesn't work in Canada.

I like owning a "hard" version of my music. Not interested in buying same music over again.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 03-12-23, 06:09 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,545 Times in 7,329 Posts
My ‘95 Mazda didn’t have a CD player. I eventually bought a DiscMan and one of those adapters that went into the tape player.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-12-23, 06:33 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Hmmm. I travel to plenty of areas where a cell signal is either spotty or non-existant. So streaming would be problematic for me. And I found out recently that Pandora doesn't work in Canada.

I like owning a "hard" version of my music. Not interested in buying same music over again.
But as was mentioned earlier just download the music and it’s available offline. All major services provide that. But how do you bring your full cd collection with you everywhere you go? Do you curate you music choices prior to every drive? Another option to satiate your desire is purchase the hard copy leave it sealed in the package. Then download the album from your preferred supplier and you have now met your needs.
Old 03-12-23, 06:35 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Given the ever increasing age demographics of this forum the amount of speedsters amounts us is ever increasing and the average pace is dropping monthly.
Old 03-12-23, 06:40 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Given the ever increasing age demographics of this forum...........
You keep repeating the same thing over and over again.....How do you know the ages of people on internet forums which you never even met in real life ?
Old 03-12-23, 06:43 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4946 Post(s)
Liked 8,087 Times in 3,826 Posts
Almost all of the music I've purchased in the last 2 decades has been on iTunes. Downloaded to my mobile device, I can play whatever I want, whenever I want. Pretty simple stuff.

Last edited by Eric F; 03-12-23 at 08:17 PM.
Old 03-12-23, 06:45 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
But as was mentioned earlier just download the music and it’s available offline. All major services provide that. But how do you bring your full cd collection with you everywhere you go? Do you curate you music choices prior to every drive? Another option to satiate your desire is purchase the hard copy leave it sealed in the package. Then download the album from your preferred supplier and you have now met your needs.
But why would I pay to download music when I already have it on CD. And no, I don't bring my whole CD collection - that would be about 500 CD's. I just bring a few favorites on trips in case my MP3 player craps out. As I may have said before, I have a good number of CD's ripped and sync'd into my MP3 player and use the headphone jack to feed it into the car stereo. I know there is a way I could plug it into the USB port and it should show up on the touch screen, but that does wonky things I can't deal with, so I go with my preferred 2000 aughts technology which works well enough. And no, neither I or anybody else has been able to figure out how to get Android Auto to work, so I just have my old fashioned smartphone cradle suction cupped to the windhsield.
Old 03-12-23, 06:53 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Looks like phonograph disc sales are now about back up to where CD sales have fallen. I wouldn’t think a record player would work well in a vehicle, however. 😊

Otto

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.