Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Tent Questions

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Tent Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-16, 02:01 PM
AdvXtrm

Bikes: 2016 Novara - Safari

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was right where you are, and those are the exact same two tents I had narrowed my search down to. In the end I went with the "Rattlesnake SL2 mtnGLO". I just received it, but haven't done a setup with it yet; I will in the next week or so. I got a great deal on it packaged along with the matching footprint for only $209.97, so I got it for about $200.00 off of the normal price.

Here's the thread I have on it. Their may be some info there you will find helpful,
Time for a Tent
Old 12-24-16, 04:53 PM
NoShiftSherlock

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AdvXtrm
I was right where you are, and those are the exact same two tents I had narrowed my search down to. In the end I went with the "Rattlesnake SL2 mtnGLO". I just received it, but haven't done a setup with it yet; I will in the next week or so. I got a great deal on it packaged along with the matching footprint for only $209.97, so I got it for about $200.00 off of the normal price.

Here's the thread I have on it. Their may be some info there you will find helpful,
Time for a Tent
Haha! I actually read your whole thread and was like "Wait, is this me?" I can get the Rattlesnake 2 for about $20 less than you. I think I'm most worried about two things with that tent:

1. Are the lights actually useable?

2. Is it durable enough WITHOUT footprint. I don't have enough money for the tent and the specific Big Agnes footprint, but will use a layer from Wal-Mart for $10. It's roughly 7oz.

The Nemo is still the one I'd love to have but for 5lbs 6oz WITHOUT included footprint it's upwards to 6lbs total. Love the look of that darn thing, too.
Old 12-24-16, 05:45 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18475 Post(s)
Liked 15,748 Times in 7,403 Posts
The Seedhouse SL2 is a fine touring tent. I used mine for several tours, including two across PA and one 10-day trip in the Black Hills until I went with the lighter Fly Creek UL2. I keep the Seedhouse for when I do shorter, flatter trips and want more room.

The shipping weight is not reflective of the tent's actual weight. I would definitely use a plastic tarp underneath to protect against damage.
Old 12-24-16, 07:05 PM
AdvXtrm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NoShiftSherlock
Haha! I actually read your whole thread and was like "Wait, is this me?" I can get the Rattlesnake 2 for about $20 less than you. I think I'm most worried about two things with that tent:

1. Are the lights actually useable?

2. Is it durable enough WITHOUT footprint. I don't have enough money for the tent and the specific Big Agnes footprint, but will use a layer from Wal-Mart for $10. It's roughly 7oz.

The Nemo is still the one I'd love to have but for 5lbs 6oz WITHOUT included footprint it's upwards to 6lbs total. Love the look of that darn thing, too.
From all the videos and other reviews I've seen with "mtnGLO", the lights are said to be very functional, and appear to be. As for durability, it's in their Superlight category, so unless you're going for a thicker and heavier 4-season, Expedition/Mountaineering class tent, it's as durable as any other, and made of the same materials as the Seedhouse, just a different layout. As with any tent, paying attention to the ground you're laying it on, and removing things that might pose an issue will always be important. Any durable layer between the tent and the ground should work. People also make their own from a material called "Tyvek", that's relatively inexpensive and easy to do.
Old 12-24-16, 07:26 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1957 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 1,682 Posts
I would just say if you want to camp with 2 folks, get a 3 person tent.
Old 12-24-16, 07:32 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1353 Post(s)
Liked 1,249 Times in 626 Posts
Originally Posted by 52telecaster
2 ND on The Three Person Tent for Two.

Old 12-24-16, 07:38 PM
NoShiftSherlock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I should've been clearer, sorry. This will be used pretty much as a solo tent when bicycle touring, general camping, weekend backpacking (no longer than a weekend). 2-person is what I would like to have available on those summer excursions where I may have a friend or partner join. So about 85% of the time will be me solo, 15% will be a second person.
Old 12-24-16, 07:43 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

A Two person Tent 1s just right for One person and all of your gear.
Spent 44 nights in mine. Comes in so handy when your stuck inside for hours during a rain storm.

Old 12-24-16, 07:48 PM
NoShiftSherlock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From all the videos and other reviews I've seen with "mtnGLO", the lights are said to be very functional, and appear to be. As for durability, it's in their Superlight category, so unless you're going for a thicker and heavier 4-season, Expedition/Mountaineering class tent, it's as durable as any other, and made of the same materials as the Seedhouse, just a different layout. As with any tent, paying attention to the ground you're laying it on, and removing things that might pose an issue will always be important. Any durable layer between the tent and the ground should work. People also make their own from a material called "Tyvek", that's relatively inexpensive and easy to do.
Gotcha. I think what I'm deciding on right now is actually BACK to Nemo Galaxi 2P. For one, I really like them as a company. They have an amazing culture there and design great tents, period. Looks wise, that Earth tone on the Galaxi 2P is one of the nicest I've ever seen on a tent (as is the green). It IS heavier, but I forget, I'm riding a bicycle (haha). This allows me to put parts of the tent around the bike: stakes on the top tube, split the load in the panniers 50/50, etc. I can also reduce weight by leaving the footprint, getting lighter stakes, etc. I should be able to get it in the ballpark of sub 5lbs which is ok by me. I like the added durability all around and the weather proofing appears to be amazing.

Thinking more about the Rattlesnake, I'll still need to bring a light anyway to use at night so the extra lighting system, while nice, is probably redundant. I think the Rattlesnake would be great for backpacking/bikepacking for sure. The Galaxi is also going to be a bit more open when it comes to fitting two people in there.
Old 12-24-16, 07:51 PM
NoShiftSherlock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
A Two person Tent 1s just right for One person and all of your gear.
Spent 44 nights in mine. Comes in so handy when your stuck inside for hours during a rain storm.
Yep! That's my thoughts on it. Going with the tent will be my original thought: Nemo Galaxi 2P. It is 5lbs 6oz, but I'll split the weight across the bike. I generally pack VERY light (no sleeping bag, no cookware, minimal clothing, etc.). I'm ok with the heaviest thing being the place I'll be staying in night-to-night. With the included footprint AND repair kit it's also an awesome value.
Old 12-24-16, 07:52 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

I was able to Stuff mine in one pannier w the ground cloth

Old 12-24-16, 08:06 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

I was able to Stuff mine in one pannier w the ground cloth

I used an Emergency Foil Blanket Twice. They work

Old 12-24-16, 08:11 PM
AdvXtrm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That's a really beautiful looking bike setup you have there! What model and year is it?

I know you've mentioned the fan use for moisture management before, but how exactly do you use it and/or mount it in the tent? Any close up pics of this?
Old 12-24-16, 08:14 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

600 miles 10 nights, 11 days.

My Coleman tent had an access door for what ever, It allowed fresh air to be brought in.
Just sat it on the floor.
4 D batteries lasted a full week.
Fan at Lowes was $10

Last edited by 10 Wheels; 12-24-16 at 08:19 PM.
Old 12-24-16, 08:48 PM
NoShiftSherlock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
600 miles 10 nights, 11 days.

My Coleman tent had an access door for what ever, It allowed fresh air to be brought in.
Just sat it on the floor.
4 D batteries lasted a full week.
Fan at Lowes was $10
Awesome setup! I probably won't be carrying nearly as much as you externally. I only have a pair of Ortlieb Backrollers and two water bottles (may get a 3rd). I figured buying a water bottle at a convenience store here or there is cheaper than getting a third cage adapter, bottle, and cage.

Found a neat minimalist/cheap/lightweight list somewhere that includes a cotton sheet folded in half and sewed to make a liner, a military "Wubbie" for a mid-layer, and a medical bivy for the top layer. All of those together should clear me pretty well for any weather possible and is REALLY light and costs literally $50 total (and that's pushing it). I'll be staying in campgrounds so I have some convenience there for cleaning and such. The only other extras will be repair equipment for the bike, a stuffed sack (or 2), light, phone, charger, and maybe a book.
Old 12-24-16, 09:05 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

We actually ran Out of water at one point.

Old 12-24-16, 09:11 PM
NoShiftSherlock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My plan for every stop is to top off both bottles and bring a spare. I've mapped out my upcoming tour to cover 50-70 miles per day with a stop at the halfway point (or thereabouts). I should have plenty of opportunities between gas stations, camp sites, restaurants, fast food joints, etc. to stay topped off. Luckily, I'm also going to be in the SE USA in February so hot weather won't be an issue whatsoever. I think if I were to do a summer tour I'd invest in an adaptor.
Old 12-24-16, 09:21 PM
AdvXtrm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My plan for every stop is to top off both bottles and bring a spare. I've mapped out my upcoming tour to cover 50-70 miles per day with a stop at the halfway point (or thereabouts). I should have plenty of opportunities between gas stations, camp sites, restaurants, fast food joints, etc. to stay topped off. Luckily, I'm also going to be in the SE USA in February so hot weather won't be an issue whatsoever. I think if I were to do a summer tour I'd invest in an adaptor.
Once I'm ready for some longer distance tours, I plan on getting a water filtration system so I can get water from about any available water source I may come across. If I end up camping in the wild for a few days this would be a great thing to have.
Old 12-24-16, 10:14 PM
NoShiftSherlock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Once I'm ready for some longer distance tours, I plan on getting a water filtration system so I can get water from about any available water source I may come across. If I end up camping in the wild for a few days this would be a great thing to have.
Good idea! I've seen some pretty darn expensive water filtration systems. The best, cheapest, and also very light is the LifeStraw. It's like $15 on Amazon.
Old 12-24-16, 10:23 PM
AdvXtrm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good idea! I've seen some pretty darn expensive water filtration systems. The best, cheapest, and also very light is the LifeStraw. It's like $15 on Amazon.
I'm going to buy bits and pieces and put together my own gravity system. This way I can have the exact system I want, and at a competitive or even better price. It just depends on what level of filtration you want and how much you can afford to spend.
Old 12-25-16, 12:00 AM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm going to buy bits and pieces and put together my own gravity system. This way I can have the exact system I want, and at a competitive or even better price. It just depends on what level of filtration you want and how much you can afford to spend.
Sawyer will be your best bet. Get the larger filter for gravity feed, and the male to male adapter also. Also cheaper than anything else.
Old 12-25-16, 12:13 AM
AdvXtrm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Squeezebox
Sawyer will be your best bet. Get the larger filter for gravity feed, and the male to male adapter also. Also cheaper than anything else.
That one's on my list.
Old 12-25-16, 06:41 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Awesome setup!
Old 12-25-16, 06:44 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Awesome setup!
I put 14,000 miles on that bike.

Old 12-25-16, 07:37 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Well you kicked my ass then. I got about 3000 this year.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.