Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Some VO components for a road bike build

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-16, 11:00 AM
steve t.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello folks,

I like the classic look of several Velo Orange components, but quality is primary. Arguments pro/con can be made for any brand and part number bike component, but before I place an order I guess I'm just looking for final yea/nay from those of you who may have personal experience with the parts I'm considering. I don't need the best part that can be found, I want quality parts that will have a good service life and will continue to work well with proper maintenance. I've read up where I can but sometimes product posts inquire about a specific issue or problem, which is natural on a web forum. But sometimes those are "1 in 100" stories, not necessarily shedding light on what might otherwise be a generally good product that experienced a mechanical failure. Not often enough do you see an objective post for a product that is just sharing the good news. (No news is good news?)

Crank- VO Grand Cru 34/48t double Grand Cru 110 Fluted Double Crankset, 34x48t - Cranks - Cranksets - Components (Will likely go with a Shimano UN55 bottom bracket for the crank.)

Rear wheel with the hands-free disassembly touring hub- Grand Cru Diagonale Rear Wheel (Touring Hub 135mm, 650b) - 650b - Complete Wheels - Wheels, Rims, Hubs & Accessories - Components

Front wheel- Grand Cru Diagonale Front Wheel (High Flange Hub, 650b) - 650b - Complete Wheels - Wheels, Rims, Hubs & Accessories - Components

Headset- 1" threaded (yep, for a threaded fork) Grand Cru 1" Sealed Bearing Headset - Headsets - Components

Seat post, 0 setback (may not need, may use a 0 setback Thompson that I have on another bike)- Grand Cru 0 Setback Seatpost, 27.2, Silver - Seatposts - Components

Threadless stem adapter- VO Threadless Stem Adaptor - Threadless Stems - Stems - Components

The rest of the build will be mainly Shimano Ultegra, their 10-speed generation (with downtube Dura Ace shifters), and likely a Shimano V-brake system. Frame details another time, but it will be a steel frame and fork with cantilever brakes.

Any thoughts and experiences would be helpful, thanks much.

Steve.
Old 01-24-16, 11:25 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1174 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 618 Posts
If you don't get much feedback here, try the Classic & Vintage forum. They are very familiar with VO.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 01-24-16, 03:10 PM
RollCNY
Speechless

Bikes: Felt Brougham, Lotus Prestige, Cinelli Xperience,

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 16 Posts
I am fairly sure @rjones28 has a grand cru crankset, and should be able to added insight.

On bottom brackets, I have had better luck with IRD bb's than Shimano, but don't have a huge # of data points.
Old 01-24-16, 03:52 PM
steve t.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you.

I'll watch for replies here, but I just now re-posted over in the C/V forum as well.

Safe riding!

Steve.
Old 01-24-16, 04:03 PM
Mumonkan
Brown Jersey Winner

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
i like VO stuff, ive used a lot of it and put it through its paces, you will not be dissapointed

34/48 drillium rings, several styles of bars, brakes, rack, headset

i know a couple randos that have used the diagonale rims for many thousands of miles, and a shop owner that can vouch for the quality of at least the track version of their hubs

ive also used the un55 bbs on every bike i own with a square taper crank, and none of them ever developed any slop or crunch
Old 01-24-16, 04:34 PM
RollCNY
Speechless

Bikes: Felt Brougham, Lotus Prestige, Cinelli Xperience,

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 16 Posts
If you are doing DT shifters and have not yet picked up brake levers, I highly recommend TRP RRL levers. They are phenomenally comfortable and functional, and they pair really nicely with Campy brakes if you don't like the look of the brake mounted release lever (which I personally despise).
Old 01-24-16, 05:17 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13748 Post(s)
Liked 4,549 Times in 2,522 Posts
I have a VO Polyvalent crankset on one of my bikes (as @RollCNY mentioned) paired with their Grand Cru bottom bracket. It's a good set up that has held up over the miles.