Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

CA riders...some insight please

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

CA riders...some insight please

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-10, 11:07 AM
MrCjolsen

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check, '85 Giant road bike (unrecogizable fixed-gear conversion

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
These pictures only show one side of NorCal cycling. Here is the other. (where I went after a day of riding my cross bike around the fire roads on Angel Island.)

Old 08-09-10, 11:12 AM
MrCjolsen

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check, '85 Giant road bike (unrecogizable fixed-gear conversion

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BigBlueToe
One statement I'll make is provable: we have weather here that's conducive to riding 12 months out of the year. A really cold day is in the 50's. A really cold night might get down close to freezing. Frozen pipes? Why would pipes freeze? Hey northerner, what's that stuff wrapped around your outside spigot?
And even in the worst summer heat wave, afternoon temps might get well over 100F, but the mornings are still cool enough to get in a real nice ride before 10am. Very little humidity on those hot days.

In the winter the afternoons often top 60. I remember one year going for a ride on New Years Day in shorts.
Old 08-09-10, 03:43 PM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've ridden in all those places. You don't see roadies too much in Yosemite for several reasons -
beautiful riding outside the park (you still have to pay to come in) and motorhomes... need I say more? Plus in the area is great mountain biking which is really taking over in CA.

Lots of riding all about San Francisco but in the City alittle more difficult due to traffic, street conditions, tourists, etc. No sense to ride in the city when you can ride out towards Salsaulito and Tiburon instead.

You see roadies everywhere but if you really want some great road riding, do Central Coast (Santa Barbara up to Santa Cruz). Cycling paradise. I'm doing the Cool Breeze Century end of this month (Ventura to Goleta and back) and it's my favorite. Some great clubs in the area - check out the rides offered by the San Luis Obispo Bike Club, Kern Wheelman, Fresno Bike Club, or Channel Island bike club.

Here in Southern California - you see big road clubs everywhere. Most of them drive me crazy since they don't tend to obey or follow any road rules.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

Last edited by Pamestique; 08-09-10 at 03:48 PM.
Old 08-09-10, 03:45 PM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
So, you THOUGHT you saw some beautiful places to ride, but the reality is there are even better ones... and that's where we were.
1000000000+

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 08-09-10, 05:08 PM
icyclist 
Spin Meister

Bikes: Trek Émonda, 1961 Follis (French) road bike (I'm the original owner), a fixie, a mountain bike, etc.

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 16 Posts
There is so much room in California that cyclists don't have to ride on top of each other.

As for Yosemite, at the least valley where the OP traveled, most sane cyclists don't like sharing the road with huge buses and giant RVs – on roads without shoulders – in summer heat that can reach well over 100 degrees.

Over the nine days I spent in Tuolumne Meadows a few weeks ago, in Yosemite's high country, there were cyclists (which included me). There aren't that many people willing to ride at close to 10,000 feet, though. Also, I'm guessing most active people who come to Yosemite, including cyclists, do so to hike into the backcountry.

Highway 1 north of San Francisco, from the Golden Gate Bridge to Petaluma: I've always seen plenty of cyclists.

Last edited by icyclist; 08-09-10 at 05:17 PM.
Old 08-09-10, 07:09 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 3,017 Times in 1,866 Posts
Wow, let the generalizations fly!

Down here on the central coast, there are roadies everywhere. If you go to the mountain bike trails, you'll see lots of mountain bikers. A lot of people ride here. That's my generalization.

One statement I'll make is provable: we have weather here that's conducive to riding 12 months out of the year. A really cold day is in the 50's. A really cold night might get down close to freezing. Frozen pipes? Why would pipes freeze? Hey northerner, what's that stuff wrapped around your outside spigot?
I don't see any reason for your snark. I didn't generalize. I reported my observations and suggested that they may not be representative. I know damned well that it's cold here in winter and I'm not impressed that you still think school-yard taunts are fun.
Old 08-09-10, 07:18 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,329 Times in 837 Posts
Lots of road bike action where I live -- Coast Highway 101 in northern San Diego County.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 08-09-10, 11:17 PM
Mojo Slim
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I ride in Marin County (SF Bay Area) occasionally. On the weekends, it is very crowded with roadies (and cars). Highway 1 to Stinson Beach is tough because there is no shoulder, but I have come down it because one can keep up with traffic. But there are lots of good places to ride on Mt. Tamalpais, Northern Marin. But I like being out in the country more.
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Old 08-11-10, 06:57 PM
PAlt
The guy in the 50+ jersey

Bikes: Specialized S-Works Roubaix, Litespeed Tuscany Road, Specialized Allez Epic lugged carbon frame Road,Giant Anthem 29'r, Klein Hardtail

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks to all of you from the Golden State who responded! I would have loved to give some advanced notice and ride with any of you while out there, but committed to the family that I'd be "bike free" for the week. Considering I've ridden over 5K this year so far, I figured it wasn't worth pleading for a hall pass this vacation.
Now I have a reason to return for some of these great rides I saw, plus any others y'all collectively are willing to introduce me to. I have been approached about coming out next year to do the Death Ride, and am seriously considering it.
As to the Yosemite feedback about not becoming a hood ornament for a RV, yes, I figured that it's a risk there. We do manage to ride some pretty narrow shoulder less roads in the Carolina mountains and on the Blue Ridge Parkway, so I'm not unfamiliar with the challenges. That being said, the suggestions to come out and ride post Labor Day are good ones.
I envy the variety you all have available to you in California when it comes to riding, and it's probably only ahead of our own Carolina region for variety of weather, terrain, and beauty. Thanks for providing the insight.
Old 08-12-10, 08:47 AM
BigBlueToe

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
I don't see any reason for your snark. I didn't generalize. I reported my observations and suggested that they may not be representative. I know damned well that it's cold here in winter and I'm not impressed that you still think school-yard taunts are fun.
I apologize if you took offense at my post. No snark was intended. (What is snark?) I used the word generalizations because people were making comments on riding practices and popularity in different locales, and it seems difficult to me to do so without making generalizations. I was amused and my post was intended to be very light, amused ribbing, not a snark. Furthermore, I wasn't commenting on any one posting by any one individual. However, I can see how I might have offended and I apologize. It wouldn't be the first time I've put my foot in my mouth.

The bit about the frozen pipes was supposed to be a good-natured poke at my southern California friends. I'm a native Washingtonian and I know all about frozen pipes. I've had the "pleasure" of laying in the dirt in my crawl space to re-wrap pipes during a cold snap. I've had pipes freeze and break in two different houses I was renting in college. I had a neighbor almost burn his house down by trying to thaw out a pipe with a propane torch. However, I've met people down here who have never heard of frozen pipes; who don't know why anyone would wrap insulation around a faucet. If my remark sounded like a schoolyard taunt, again, I apologize.

I guess I have to wait to post until I've had my second cup of coffee, or maybe lay off the coffee entirely. Maybe I should avoid trying to sound amused.
Old 08-12-10, 10:03 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 3,017 Times in 1,866 Posts
I apologize if you took offense at my post. No snark was intended. (What is snark?) I used the word generalizations because people were making comments on riding practices and popularity in different locales, and it seems difficult to me to do so without making generalizations. I was amused and my post was intended to be very light, amused ribbing, not a snark. Furthermore, I wasn't commenting on any one posting by any one individual. However, I can see how I might have offended and I apologize. It wouldn't be the first time I've put my foot in my mouth.

The bit about the frozen pipes was supposed to be a good-natured poke at my southern California friends. I'm a native Washingtonian and I know all about frozen pipes. I've had the "pleasure" of laying in the dirt in my crawl space to re-wrap pipes during a cold snap. I've had pipes freeze and break in two different houses I was renting in college. I had a neighbor almost burn his house down by trying to thaw out a pipe with a propane torch. However, I've met people down here who have never heard of frozen pipes; who don't know why anyone would wrap insulation around a faucet. If my remark sounded like a schoolyard taunt, again, I apologize.

I guess I have to wait to post until I've had my second cup of coffee, or maybe lay off the coffee entirely. Maybe I should avoid trying to sound amused.
Fair enough. I probably took offense too easily.