Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

spoke count - custom wheels

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

spoke count - custom wheels

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-11, 08:20 PM
mmac

Bikes: 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring 52/20 2008 Trek 1.2 Road Bike 1998 Canondale M800 Mountain Bike 1965 Schwinn Spitfire Cruiser 1979 Schwinn Varisty

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by halfspeed
I am my wheel builder.
That's awesome, this reminds me of a friend (a clyde) who got a job at an LBS. Prior to working there he believed that 32 spokes was a minimum for anybody who wanted a reliable wheel. The trek rep loaned him some really low spoke count carbon clinchers to prove him wrong, and he proceeded to ride them hard for the rest of the season.

My friend now rides any wheel that he feels like regardless of spoke count.
Old 03-28-11, 08:44 PM
lazerzxr

Bikes: Colnago C59 Italia Di2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm 168# and broke a spoke on a cheepo 24 spoke rear wheel - it was still rideable to get home no problem
I now use a much better built 21 spoke rear which is absolutely fine
Previously I had a badly built 28 spoke rear which cracked the rim around 5 spokes.

Build quality is everything and spoke count is not as critical as people think. However a quality built low spoke count wheel can be difficult to achieve
Old 03-28-11, 10:56 PM
Allez3

Bikes: Sirrus, Midnight Special (almost there)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mmac
I'm guessing that the user feels this way because they don't understand the concept of "Road Cycling" -vs- other forms of cycling, and consider the idea of a catastrophic accident causing any damage to your wheels as unbearable.

There's also people here who try not to crash, or may consider touring with 80 lbs on a different bike. I hooked my stepfather up with my touring bike, he weighs 350 and can go down the road just fine on a 32 with 35mm tires, the idea of needing a 36 is just silly.

Edit: Looking at his post I also assume that he doesn't understand the concept of checking spoke tension or the importance of knowing how much you weigh. Your wheelbuilder probably has the necessary tools and skills to build up a lighter wheel.

https://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-TM-1.../dp/B000OZDIGY
I've been building wheels for 26 years. You can think what you want. You'll be wrong, but by all means, have an opinion. If he wants a wheel that isn't going to give him a problem, then he can take my advice. If he wants a problem child for a set of wheels, because most wheel builders aren't that good, he can take your advice. The only reason to choose so few spokes is 1- Weight weenie. 2 - Cool factor. But that's fine; I thought the same when I was 18.

Originally Posted by lazerzxr
Build quality is everything and spoke count is not as critical as people think. However a quality built low spoke count wheel can be difficult to achieve
This.
Old 03-29-11, 09:38 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by Allez3
I've been building wheels for 26 years. You can think what you want. You'll be wrong, but by all means, have an opinion. If he wants a wheel that isn't going to give him a problem, then he can take my advice. If he wants a problem child for a set of wheels, because most wheel builders aren't that good, he can take your advice. The only reason to choose so few spokes is 1- Weight weenie. 2 - Cool factor. But that's fine; I thought the same when I was 18.
I only have 17 years of experience to your 26, but I learned at a young age that old habits die hard. The guy who taught me to build wheels insisted on 36 spokes, 4 cross, tied and soldered for everybody, including 120 lb me. He nearly had a stroke when I radially laced a front wheel, and then again when I built a set of 28 spoke wheels for my track bike. As a scrawny guy with little muscle, it made sense to reduce weight to put less strain on my muscles when accelerating. I never broke a spoke, either, and neither have any of the people I built wheels for, including a set of 24 spoke 2x wheels with lightweight Nisi rims on low flange hubs for a 140 lb rider. 36 spoke wheels are for clydes and track sprinters. For you to imply that a person with a lot less weight and/or less power would need the same specs is silly.

You are right about one thing. The OP would need to choose a reputable wheel builder in order to make that set of wheels reliable, but your advice is to just not bother. I say go for it, but find a competent builder. They do exist.

FWIW I have a set of wheels weighing only 1375g that still has 28 spokes front and rear, making me comfortable that I could pedal home if the unlikely spoke breaks. However, this is on a flimsy and light 22mm profile rim. I would have happily gone 20/24 had I decided to use a deeper rim profile.
Old 03-29-11, 11:34 AM
mihlbach

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 67 Posts

Old 03-29-11, 02:36 PM
zatopek

Bikes: Neilpryde Nazare, Storck Scenero G3, Colnago Extreme Power, CAAD 10, Bowman Palace R, Strong Custom Foco Steel, BMC SLR01, BMC ALR01

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 53 Posts
I've enjoyed this thread immensely. Thanks to all you knowledgeable folks for sharing your wisdom and experience. My master wheel builder, Travis, laughs at me whenever I discuss building anything other than 32 spoke/3X wheels for training. Every wheel he has built for me has been bombproof. As we speak, he's lacing 32 hole Velocity Aeroheads to Chris King Classic hubs with DT Competitions in a 3X pattern. I trust that they will be bombproof and comfortable. They will not be the lightest wheels in my training/racing group, but I suck anyway and the weight of my wheels is the least of my worries.
Old 03-29-11, 04:21 PM
halfspeed

Bikes: are better than yours.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I think your advice would have been excellent 26 years ago. Modern high-profile rims are both light and strong and go a long way towards addressing the issues with lower spoke counts. 20/24 is quite reasonable for a mid to light weight rider given quality parts and a good builder.
Old 03-29-11, 05:40 PM
Soil_Sampler
A little North of Hell

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
problem, no problem?

If he wants a wheel that isn't going to give him a problem, then he can take my advice.
If he wants a problem child for a set of wheels, because most wheel builders aren't that good, he can take your advice.
more spokes will not automatically make the wheel better than less spokes.
Old 03-29-11, 06:05 PM
jischr

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I use to have 36 spoke wheels front and rear. I'd lose a spoke on the drive side about everyother year. May even have been the same location but I never kept track. Then I built my own 32 spoke wheels with 105 hubs and Mavic OP rims. Five years without a broken spoke. Now I'm on 8 year old Ksyrium Elites that came on a frame I bought. I've only got 100 miles of my own on them but have managed to nail some holes and concrete cracks without apparent damage. I was 160 lbs on the 36 spokers, 200 lbs on the 32 spokers, and 175 on the Eliites for what its worth. Until I bought this frame with the Elites I figured never to go below 20f/24r which is where many folks say they can still ride home from a broken spoke, but,,those Elites sure go uphill nice. So buy what you want from a reputable builder/manufacturer and ride the ****t out of them.
Old 03-29-11, 06:11 PM
MegaTom

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL3, Lynskey Cooper CX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
What's the question?
Old 03-29-11, 09:21 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by MegaTom
What's the question?
Exactly.
Old 04-02-11, 01:30 PM
Allez3

Bikes: Sirrus, Midnight Special (almost there)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Soil_Sampler
more spokes will not automatically make the wheel better than less spokes.
Right over your head.