Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

W.H.O. study on cycling (and walking)

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-13, 08:53 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,433 Times in 2,540 Posts

Don't know if this has been posted around here before, but I saw it linked to by cigna.com, and thought it was interesting. There's a lot more in there, but here's a little about casualty:

Casualty statistics indicate that pedestrians and cyclists account for about 20% of those involved in serious accidents in the WHO European Region. However, they are at disproportionate risk of death (or injury) compared with car users. For example, according to the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe, an estimated 37% of the people killed in 1997 were vulnerable road users. The figures for road deaths in the European Union in 1998 (Table 1) show that pedestrians and cyclists have much higher rates of road deaths per billion passenger–kilometres than do car users. The figures in Table 1, however, tend to overestimate the risk to cyclists and pedestrians, as they are not corrected to exclude driving on motorways, which does not apply to pedestrians and cyclists. For example, a study in the Netherlands found that when a correction factor was introduced to take into account that the kilometres driven on motorways represent about one third of the distance driven in a car and that for those kilometres the risk of accidents is ten times less than on the rest of the road
network, the risk for cyclists was very close to that for car users.
In short, cars are safer than bikes per distance, but that's because freeways are extra safe (and add up a lot of miles quickly). If you take freeways out of it, then cars and bikes are about the same safety per mile on roads that they share.

This is from A Physically Active Life Through Everyday Transport: with special focus on children and older people; examples and approaches from Europe, put out by the World Health Organization.
Old 08-23-13, 10:06 AM
iluvnoise

Bikes: 2012 Singular Peregrine, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Schwinn Circuit, 1994 Cannondale M400

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is an interesting read. Thanks for posting it.
Old 08-23-13, 09:18 PM
H.S.Clydesdale

Bikes: 2013 KHS 747 (by Lennard Zinn), 1987 Nishiki Sport, 1983 Sanwa 700

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Top Gear recently interviewed Mark Webber and they asked him about two crashes. In one, he was in a race car doing 150mph+ and flipped end over end in midair, in the other, he was on a bike. He had more injuries from the bike crash.

I was discussing bike safety with my wife recently. She is concerned about me because I commute every day on the bike. I am also concerned. Bikes are just very dangerous. Whereas every automobile manufacturer has huge departments of engineers working day in and day out to make the cars safer, I dont think the bike manufacturers are doing anything.

Regardless, The main danger when riding a bike is cars. If the government would invest more in bicycling infrastructure bikes could be a lot safer. i.e. bike highways only for bikes. Avoiding pedestrians and cars is the most difficult part of my commute.

I have no thesis, this is just stream of consciousness.