Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Any opinions on inner tubes?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-14, 08:08 PM
Gramercy

Bikes: Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just bought Vuelta Corsa Light wheels and am going to buy Conti GP 4000 tires, but need tubes as well. My LBS sells them for like 10 bucks. I've read that some are a good amount lighter than others, but I've also read some people on here buy them in bulk for like 3 bucks a piece. Is there any specific one I should look for or where to get them online? I used the search function and couldn't find much.
Old 01-01-14, 08:17 PM
seymour1910

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
you will find lots of opinions about anything in the 41. IMO basic Kenda tubes do just fine. I buy them six at a time off ebay for $4.16 each.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-NEW-700-x-...item20d8ea95ba
Old 01-01-14, 08:37 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26427 Post(s)
Liked 10,384 Times in 7,212 Posts
...the on sale prices at Performance are competitive, and usually yield decent results.
Old 01-01-14, 08:51 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 929 Times in 614 Posts
Whatever is on sale. I never really notice what brand they are.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 01-01-14, 09:07 PM
dralways

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great budget choice on those wheels especially with one of those sales Nashbar offers a few times a month (now). I have them on my bike.. huge improvement over stock, compares in weight to many $1500 carbon wheelsets, very robust as I rode them when I weighed 210 on some nasty beat up roads daily, aero spokes, etc.

Get tubes on sale, $3-4 locally and online or order some gear from JensonUSA and add a few of their $2.99 18-25c tubes your cart. Free shipping on orders over $50. I've read in other threads the only difference noticed from tube weight comes from 18-25c tubes vs 25-32c tubes or rubber vs latex. :shrug: I've tried different big name brands and never notice a difference. Wheels/tires are a completely different story!
Old 01-01-14, 09:44 PM
gc3
Falls Downalot

Bikes: Now I Got Two

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get the round ones...
Old 01-01-14, 11:02 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 929 Times in 614 Posts
With various rim depths available now, make sure you get tubes with a long enough stem. Better a bit too long than too short.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 01-01-14, 11:06 PM
DXchulo
Upgrading my engine

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.pricepoint.com/Brand/Pric...Point-Tube.axd

Under $3 if you buy more than 5. Quality is good. I use them on my road bike and my commuter.

JensonUSA is another good option.
Old 01-02-14, 07:30 AM
Gramercy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Last time I checked the Conti GP 4000's cost about 35 bucks on sale, now there is an 'S' brand, and it's 60 bucks? Any idea where to get the regular ones or have they been replaced? I thought the best place to buy them was on performance bike.

[h=2][/h]
Old 01-02-14, 07:54 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Gramercy
Last time I checked the Conti GP 4000's cost about 35 bucks on sale, now there is an 'S' brand, and it's 60 bucks? Any idea where to get the regular ones or have they been replaced? I thought the best place to buy them was on performance bike.
The "S" means the black chili compound, marketing-speak for a higher performance rubber. It used to be only available on GP 4000 black tires, but I think it is now available in colors. If so, I imagine it would replace the non-S. Nevertheless the S and non-S tires were always about the same price. I don't know when you could get them for $35 at Performance. That is a real price, yes, but in my experience only from Great Britain via the internet/ebay. Or rarely from an individual seller on ebay. In any case you should be able to get the S type for that now just as always, perhaps if you wait for a sale at PBK, Wiggle, or the like. If the color you want is available in "S", that is the way to go; just look online for the right price, $80 or less per pair, delivered.
Old 01-02-14, 08:03 AM
Chief Brody

Bikes: '12 Felt F75X, '11 Scott CX Team, '08 Specialized Singlecross

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just ordered 4 from Price Point for under $3 each. They were running a free shipping deal, so I figured it was worth a shot. I will report back if I run into any issues with them.
Old 01-02-14, 09:20 AM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
It's mainly a matter of subjective preference than objective performance. I like short stems, without threads and lightweight butyl tubes. Michelin Aircomp meets these criteria. I get em for $7 ea, and since I keep patching them, the cost is totally negligible. In my use, lightweight tubes flat no more frequently heavier tubes.
Old 01-02-14, 10:01 AM
Gramercy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pro bike kit has the GP 4000's for 10% off already reduced prices so I got 2 for $65. Not too shabby. Their inner tubes are all in the 8-10 dollar range so I'll get them someplace else.
Old 01-02-14, 10:08 AM
pgjackson

Bikes: Rossetti Vertigo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
Tubes are probably the last thing you should concern yourself with, especially worrying about the weight. Get the cheapest ones you can find and put some tube liners in your tires. That will make the biggest difference. And, no...liners will not effect ride quality despite what others might say. Liners might be the single greatest thing I have added to my bike.
Old 01-02-14, 10:25 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
I don't understand how liners might be the single greatest thing you can add to a bike unless you are getting lots of flats.

Tests show the difference in rolling resistence between good road tires are as much as 7 watts. The difference is much larger between the best performance tire and the worse tire, but I excluded the really poor ones. I would think liners would completely eliminate rolling resistence advantages
Old 01-02-14, 10:49 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3894 Post(s)
Liked 1,943 Times in 1,388 Posts
Yeah, liners really suck. I rode my first double with them because I'd heard that people had been having a lot of flats on this particular ride. That was a mistake.

Tubes vary a lot in quality. Since the general globalization of manufacture, name doesn't matter as much any more. Some split on the seams, most commonly the valves pull out. Also just plain manufacturing defects - holes in the vulcanization around the valve, defective valves, valves with holes in the stem, etc. I just try different tubes until I find some that last. Michelin Aircomp are my current faves, but who knows, maybe next week they'll switch production to a cheaper supplier and the next batch will suck. Lighter tubes do make a difference, not the weight so much, but to rolling resistance. They all puncture about the same.
Old 01-02-14, 10:52 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
I like buying tubes from my LBS. I feel like it's one more bit of business I can give them. saving a couple dollars on something I don't buy often doesn't seem to matter. I think quality and stem length are more important than price.
Old 01-02-14, 11:03 AM
pgjackson

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Yeah, liners really suck. I rode my first double with them because I'd heard that people had been having a lot of flats on this particular ride. That was a mistake.
Please explain.
Old 01-02-14, 11:25 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by pgjackson
Tubes are probably the last thing you should concern yourself with, especially worrying about the weight. Get the cheapest ones you can find and put some tube liners in your tires. That will make the biggest difference. And, no...liners will not effect ride quality despite what others might say. Liners might be the single greatest thing I have added to my bike.
What you say is true if you are riding a beach cruiser.
Old 01-02-14, 11:32 AM
Harun
:p

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No matter what brand I make sure the valve is fully threaded and long enough to reach the pump-head. I've found that presta tubes with only the end threaded tend to not attach to pumps as securely as fully threaded ones.
Old 01-02-14, 12:07 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3894 Post(s)
Liked 1,943 Times in 1,388 Posts
Please explain.
I was about 1 mph slower at the same effort. Over a 200 mile distance, that really sucked. Try taking those liners out and run good tires like Conti 4000s or Michelin PRO4 Endurance. There's a reason that folks on this forum advise using tires like these.
Old 01-02-14, 12:51 PM
pgjackson

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I was about 1 mph slower at the same effort. Over a 200 mile distance, that really sucked. Try taking those liners out and run good tires like Conti 4000s or Michelin PRO4 Endurance. There's a reason that folks on this forum advise using tires like these.
I seriously doubt that was because of tire liners. Did you have any flats?
Old 01-02-14, 12:52 PM
pgjackson

Originally Posted by popeye
What you say is true if you are riding a beach cruiser.
You probably think your non-areo seat post and hub skewers are hold you back as well.
Old 01-02-14, 01:04 PM
bigfred 

Bikes: More than 1, but, less than S-1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm one of the few who finds value in name brand tubes. After suffering repeated and various issues (splits on mould seems, leaks at valve bases, etc.) with a variety of unheard of brands from the local bike shops I started using Michelin and Vittoria. I can't say I "never get flats", but, I've worn out a couple rear tires that didn't suffer a single flat and struck road debris hard enough to break casing cords in another, again without flatting. I'll happily pay the couple extra dollars for michelin airstops for the durability and peace of mind they provide me. In this regard the difference in cost between "cheap" and "quality" is so small that I don't see any reason not to spend it. If, you're running anything larger than a 23mm tire, get the 25-32mm tubes. Again, a little tiny bit more weight, but, results in rubber that isn't stretched as thin and is going to be less likely to rupture or fail.
Old 01-02-14, 04:42 PM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
You probably think your non-areo seat post and hub skewers are hold you back as well.
Your physic abilities fail, all my bikes have aero seat posts and have either latex or light weight tubes. You can feel the difference. You don't put heavy tubes in Conti supersonics.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.