Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Who has experience with Selle SMP saddles?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Who has experience with Selle SMP saddles?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-15, 07:02 PM
johnyguy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by inspclouseau
Personally, I think most saddles take a couple of weeks to get "used" to.
Yes I agree with that I have to adjust to it a little .
Old 10-11-15, 09:06 PM
TCR Rider

Bikes: Pinarello Dogma F8 Giant TCR Advanced 2 Jamis Coda

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by johnyguy
I purchased the smp drakon couple days ago and it is more comfortable than the stock saddle came with my bike ,today I toke a 35 miles ride and while it was comfortable at the end of the ride I felt my sit bones a little I guess I still need to play with the tilting but I was wondering if I should exchange it for the glider since that's a little wider with more padding my sitbones are around 102 mm apart I wear a pants size 32-34 would you mind to share you sitbone size "if you know" and pants size so I can compare I know its more complicated than that but I guess it would give me an idea. Other than I feel my sitbones a little no numbness or any other discomfort.

I appreciate your respond.
My sitbones are around 140mm and my waist is 32". I also based my choice by matching the dimensions of my old saddle with the SMP's and the Glider was the closest match to the Selle Italia Flite that I had been riding. The problem with the Flite wasn't the size or shape of the saddle but that the cutout didn't extend far enough to the nose.

Last edited by TCR Rider; 10-12-15 at 03:30 PM.
Old 10-12-15, 02:28 PM
ColaJacket

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.3 C - 2014

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by inspclouseau
Personally, I think most saddles take a couple of weeks to get "used" to.

Agreed. You can often tell if a saddle is way out of spec almost immediately. But if it is close, it takes a little while to get used to it to figure out if it is a good saddle for you, of close but not quite right.

GH
Old 10-19-15, 11:30 AM
dwing

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Yes, took a few weeks to settle in with my SMP and I also had to buy a seat post with 2bolt infinite tilt to fine tune nose up/down angle. I took baseline measurements from different precise points so I could get it back exact in case I over adjusted. Got the final measurements filed away just in case.
Old 10-19-15, 07:39 PM
johnyguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dwing
Yes, took a few weeks to settle in with my SMP and I also had to buy a seat post with 2bolt infinite tilt to fine tune nose up/down angle. I took baseline measurements from different precise points so I could get it back exact in case I over adjusted. Got the final measurements filed away just in case.
Thanks my seat post is like that I have made some adjustments just kind of cold out to ride much but I think it's a keeper
Old 10-20-15, 06:04 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
I have an SMP TRK. It's one of the heavily padded models. I tried it because my saddle comfort or lack thereof is my most limiting factor. While it is thickly padded, the padding isn't very dense. I can compress it with a moderate squeeze all the way to the saddle pan. I put it on my mountain bike where I spend less time in the saddle on my average ride. The center channel does a very good job of providing relief. I have an ISM Century on the way. I hope it can give the the comfort I seek.
Old 10-21-15, 08:40 PM
jischr

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I bought a really used Stratos and used it on my roller bike all winter. Then I got a lightly used Glider and a near new Stratos to put on my road bikes. The new Stratos gets a little uncomfortable after 25 miles, the Glider just goes and goes. I bought a new Glider but haven't put it on yet. Don't know if the new one will feel different like the two Stratos do. While looking at the Stratos and Glider the only visible difference is the bit more padding on the Glider. On the bike its pretty noticable. The Stratos is narrower and the newer Statos has the knife edge feel some had mentioned that the old Stratos doesn't. So it may be a matter of riding the saddle long enough to breakdown some of the padding.
Old 10-22-15, 04:07 PM
Billy1111

Bikes: Canyon Aeroad, Parlee ESX, Factor o2,Colnago CX Zero Disc,

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
i just put a drakon demo and took a short ride, of course its gonna need a small amount of tweaking but its the first time I have ever felt completely supported under there, it wasnt like i was just sitting on my sit bones but the whole underneath.....Im feeling pretty good about will do a full ride tomorrow and see how it goes....using anangle finder app suggested on the pearce page is highly recommended
Old 10-22-15, 06:10 PM
johnyguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Billy1111
i just put a drakon demo and took a short ride, of course its gonna need a small amount of tweaking but its the first time I have ever felt completely supported under there, it wasnt like i was just sitting on my sit bones but the whole underneath.....Im feeling pretty good about will do a full ride tomorrow and see how it goes....using anangle finder app suggested on the pearce page is highly recommended
That's cool its is a different experience the selle smp. How much did you pay for the demo? are you coming to the tour de Bronx on Sunday.?
Old 10-22-15, 06:21 PM
Billy1111

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
no, not able to make thou I would have liked to check that out. It costs $35 for 2 weeks.Shipping is included, they actually sent a check for $9.00 to ship it back! I ordered Monday, here today! Seems like a very decent deal!

Bike Seat Demo Program
Old 10-23-15, 03:43 PM
Billy1111

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
well went well for 15 miles then started to get real hard....will jerk around with the angle a bit more