Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Joe Bringheli jig on Craigslist LA

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-23, 11:07 AM
SoCaled 

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 3,771 Times in 1,848 Posts

Also in "are you looking for one of these" cross posted as might be more relevant here.
https://www.bikeforums.net/22908174-post76869.html
Bringheli frame building jig - $1,700 - Santa Barbara, CA
https://santabarbara.craigslist.org/...627261682.html
from ad:
"for sale is a Job Bringheli bicycle frame building jig with fork building jig & Tim Paterek frame building manual, The frame jig has been mounted on an automotive engine building stand so that that it may be rotated & is much easer to braze, its about ten years old & I have built about 10 frames on it & now its time to move onto other projects. All 10 bicycles that have been built on this stand are still in service & one picture has the last bike built on this stand is in front of it."

Old 06-02-23, 07:25 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Not cheap, but the cost of shipping one does change the acceptable price.

I will have to contact, visit.
Old 06-02-23, 02:35 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1181 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,076 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
Not cheap, but the cost of shipping one does change the acceptable price.

I will have to contact, visit.
Have you thought about the 80/20 extrusion style? (80/20 is a brand name and there are other brands of similar extrusions, I use the term generically like Kleenex) They're like tinker-toys or Legos, you can make anything with 'em.
I haven't priced one out, but I assume the cost of materials would be less than this Bringheli, and with at least a chance of it coming out better, as in more usable. Bringheli jigs have a reputation for being frustrating to work on. Dunno myself, never tried one.

There are a few different designs out there using alu extrusions, some with a keel below the BB, some with a backbone around halfway up the frame (like an Arctos), some with a "window frame" that the seat tube and head tube sliders bolt to above and below the bike frame. The Arctos style is godlike but expensive. Pithy bikes has a 17-part video walkthrough showing him making his, as one example.

The problem with making your own jig is it's time-consuming, and a lot of people would rather spend that time making frames instead of jigs. Ain't nothin' wrong with that, if you have the scratch.

Also, for one or two frames, just laying the tubes in vee-blocks set on a flattish surface can work fine. Or thousands of frames, as done by the Taylor brothers. Well, I actually have no idea how many Jack Taylors there are, or if they had a jig. I just saw that movie, called something like "The Bicycle Brothers", that shows them making a tandem with no jig. Just some firebricks, and heavy weights laid on top of the tubes to hold them down against the bricks. Alignment checked by holding the frame up towards the window and squinting. At one time Jack Taylors were considered mighty fine! They rode straight, defined as "if it feels straight while riding, then it is straight".

Plus I wouldn't bet on that Bringheli being aerospace-grade straight either.
Ok that sounds like I'm anti-Bringheli but I'm not, I know some great frames have been made on one. Plenty of ways to pet a cat!
Old 06-02-23, 03:29 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,701 Times in 2,521 Posts
Joe posted yesterday on FB. Message was "call me."
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 06-02-23, 04:46 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1181 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,076 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
Joe posted yesterday on FB. Message was "call me."
So Joe is getting better? I sure hope so.

I just thought of another advantage to a bolted-together jig — they unbolt (duh!)
For those without a ton of shop space, being able to put all the parts in a plastic storage tote on a shelf could be a "killer app".

We talked about this Chopsource jig here a couple years ago, anyone buy one? I'd guess about $650-700, without the "rotisserie" option, just a simple non-rotating jig. $425 for all the fittings, and maybe $200-300 for the steel tubes. No welding and no machining, just bolts together.

I know I wouldn't love it, but maybe I could live with it for that price. Well, I got my jig for $300 but that was a lucky score, those don't grow on trees.
Old 06-02-23, 06:15 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4211 Post(s)
Liked 3,881 Times in 2,316 Posts
When I first saw this post I thought "a bit expensive for a Bringheli". Then I noted the fork jig and the stand and thought better of it. I agree that this jig in it's OEM state is a bit slow and frustrating to set up from what I've read over the years. But Joe never made any claims of a production or highly efficient jig either.

Having a way to hold the jig is more important than many might think and being able to rotate it during the tacking is a real nice feature. Well worth $100-200.

Now the fork jig is another thing. Having owned one I can say it does the job well with only a little bit more minutes to set it up than my current Anvil. Well worth the $300-400 range I've seen these go for. Andy
Old 06-02-23, 07:08 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,701 Times in 2,521 Posts
Originally Posted by bulgie
So Joe is getting better? I sure hope so.
I hope so too. I haven't seen him since he was hospitalized in Italy. He always impressed me as being rather frail, except for that booming voice.