Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Trek Multitrack 750 value

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-23, 10:42 AM
Cbourbeau32

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

There is a used Trek multitrack 750 for sale on marketplace near me. They are asking $200 for it. Does that sound like a reasonable price?

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum
Old 06-15-23, 11:05 AM
ElevatedEdge

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek Multitrack 720 (rebuild), Giant Escape 3

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
There are some missing variables that might help. A full restore doesn't take too long if you are handy and research - 100 hours is a wee bit high. I just did a full frame up build with a Multitrack and put roughly $500 in it. I should note, i have never done anything like this but I am handy - overall very easy.
Likes For ElevatedEdge:
Old 06-15-23, 11:36 AM
HelpSingularity 

Bikes: 1974 Masi GC, 1982 Trek 728 (aka 720), 1992 Trek Multitrack 750

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 140 Posts
If you have never worked on a bicycle before there is a bit of a learning curve, but totally doable with YouTube.
Technically a 30 year old bicycle is obsolete, but there are millions and millions of bicycles around with the same tech so it's not like you're working on a Model T.
I have a 92 MT 750 and it gives me endless joy.
There is a certain satisfaction in renewing an older bicycle.
2 bills for a used MT 750 might be a little high to a great price depending on condition.
But new bikes are cool too.
Likes For HelpSingularity:
Old 06-15-23, 12:13 PM
Cbourbeau32

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by soyabean
Why don't you just buy a new bike from a LBS for about $700-1000 and not worry about anything outdated, obselete, and required repairs?

Do you want to spend 100 hours of your time cycling or 100 hours of your time restoring vintage crap?
I don't have $700-$1,000 to spend. I am currently riding a Trek Fx3 that I bought used and have easily well over 100 hours on it with no issues. I'm just hoping for similar result from another used one.
Old 06-15-23, 12:18 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by Cbourbeau32
I don't have $700-$1,000 to spend. I am currently riding a Trek Fx3 that I bought used and have easily well over 100 hours on it with no issues. I'm just hoping for similar result from another used one.
You should post this on the C&V valuation forum to get an idea of what it might be worth. You'll need to post some pics of the bike as well. The posters will give you an idea of what kind of work might be needed as well. At a bare minimum, you should replace the consumables (cables and cable housing, perhaps the tires as well). Ideally, you'd overhaul the bike as well. If that interests you, then this is a good bike to work on.

The 750s were Trek's top hybrids back in the day. They typically had a good quality steel frame and the parts were generally middling level. If you're interested in doing your own work, they're very solid bikes.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 06-15-23, 12:40 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
Who knows! I wouldn't pay almost half price for that bike except maybe new. It is a cheaper hybrid plenty of brand new cheap hybrids out there with warranties and support and at least new parts of known usage or nicer bikes that are going to be even better. Sure the frame is potentially steel but I can just get a nice Jamis Coda s2 or ideally s1 and have a steel frame and there are other options as well.

This bike is a complete mystery except to you maybe, we have zero info other than a model and some price and that will tell us the model and some price and that is about it. But regardless $200 would be a steep price for a bike that was about $500ish new unless maybe the bike was new but who knows because we have little info on the bike.
Old 06-15-23, 12:50 PM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Who knows! I wouldn't pay almost half price for that bike except maybe new. It is a cheaper hybrid plenty of brand new cheap hybrids out there with warranties and support and at least new parts of known usage or nicer bikes that are going to be even better. Sure the frame is potentially steel but I can just get a nice Jamis Coda s2 or ideally s1 and have a steel frame and there are other options as well.

This bike is a complete mystery except to you maybe, we have zero info other than a model and some price and that will tell us the model and some price and that is about it. But regardless $200 would be a steep price for a bike that was about $500ish new unless maybe the bike was new but who knows because we have little info on the bike.
You may be right about the value of the bike (no one has seen pics) and maybe the OP should buy a new bike but the Trek 750 was not a cheap hybrid back in the day. Many of 750s were lugged, handbuilt chrome moly frames that had the same frame geometry as the 520 which was Trek's top touring bike back in the day.

Now maybe none of that should excite the OP (and it certainly doesn't excite you or some of the other posters) but these were nice bikes back in the day and some folks are fine with that.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 06-15-23, 12:58 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by bikemig
You may be right about the value of the bike (no one has seen pics) and maybe the OP should buy a new bike but the Trek 750 was not a cheap hybrid back in the day. Many of 750s were lugged, handbuilt chrome moly frames that had the same frame geometry as the 520 which was Trek's top touring bike back in the day.

Now maybe none of that should excite the OP (and it certainly doesn't excite you or some of the other posters) but these were nice bikes back in the day and some folks are fine with that.
Maybe it was a better frame than I led on but nothing special on components it was running 7 speed stuff. STX was OK but nothing special.
Old 06-15-23, 12:58 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
buy and ride..don't try to restore

saddle, tires, cables..you can do it

save money and see if cycling is for you..if it is, go spend a couple grand at the bike shop and enjoy..if not for you, no big loss (except to your health)
Likes For Flip Flop Rider:
Old 06-15-23, 01:07 PM
bikemig 

Maybe it was a better frame than I led on but nothing special on components it was running 7 speed stuff. STX was OK but nothing special.
Yep, that's why they can be good bikes to rehab (assuming you're into that sort of thing) as the frame quality is very good. Since the parts are middling, these bikes tend to be reasonably priced when they pop up. $200 may be high.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 06-15-23, 05:22 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1226 Post(s)
Liked 3,555 Times in 1,410 Posts
I have a Trek MultiTrack 750, and I have really enjoyed mine! The 750s and up were all made in USA, and at least the welded ones were double-butted true-temper tubing. Lots of folks will hunt after the 750+ MultiTracks, especially the lugged ones, to make a sort of 'do everything' bike, or classic commuter. It's also a fantastic base to upgrade to your favorite preferences over time as your bicycle mechanic skills grow.

I guess I'm one of those guys that spends 100s of hours trying to fix my vintage crap But have spent almost no time at all on the MultiTrack and it is a fantastic bike! With some nicer 35-38mm Jack Brown tires on it, it is one of the smoother bikes I've ridden. It has a great stock gearing range. I'm usually the 'project/tinkerer' personality when it comes to bikes, and like to endlessly change and mod and whatnot, get the weight lower, etc., but the MT I haven't really felt the need to upgrade, except I did get some different bars and stem to change the fit. Still has the low-end components that came with it, including the the grip-shifts and I'm almost afraid to change anything, lest the feel of the bike changes. That's how much I like it.

Mine is that boring dark grey color. I think I paid about $100 for it, but if the bike was absolutely pristine and had one of the more visually cool paintjobs, I would definitely consider $200. There is a big difference between 'mint' and 'rode hard/put away wet'. OP, it would be great to get some pictures. Also, if you are interested in reading up on the MTs, there is a fantastic thread on here in the hybrid subforum all about these bikes...

Show Your Trek Multitrack https://www.bikeforums.net/hybrid-bi...ultitrack.html

Here's mine -

When I want a no-nonsense, do-anything, any-weather ride, I'll take the MT.

If the bike is in fantastic shape, you could do a lot worse for $200.

Likes For AdventureManCO:
Old 06-15-23, 05:30 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
OP never said he wanted to restore it, I would take it on a test ride and if it works well then go from there.
Old 06-15-23, 05:59 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 182 Posts
You can get some information at Vintage Trek where they list the years made and the color scheme for the frame Vintage Trek Bikes- Information on Steel Road Bicycles made by the Trek Bicycle Corporation, bike The list for the 750 is from 1990 thru 2000. Only the oldest 750 on BBB have a frame similar to the one shown above. It's listed only for 3 of those years on bicyclebluebook 1994 1995 and 1997 The MSRP varied between $560 and $699. A Trek catalog from 1993 shows it comes with Shimano Althus drivetrain which is near the bottom of the Shimano MTB component heirarchy.
The same question has been asked here several times with the most recent response being https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...air-price.html. I usually don't trust the BBB prices but in this case, they might be close to right.
Likes For VegasTriker:
Old 06-15-23, 06:10 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3091 Post(s)
Liked 6,601 Times in 3,785 Posts
We have done some cleanup in this thread. If you don't have specific advice about this bike for this forum member, we suggest that you simply move on to another thread.

soyabean, leave this thread and do not return.

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 06-15-23, 09:00 PM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
Assuming that you're looking at an early 90s steel frame and fork 750, in rideable shape and with no damage, 200 bucks is quite fair. If it's aluminum, with a suspension fork, don't bother, the old steel ones are the only good ones.

If that's the bike, what you're looking at is one of the best production loaded touring framesets ever made. There's nothing that you'd put on a 2023 touring bike that won't fit the 750, and, really, the only thing you'd need to change before setting off across the country might be the flat bars if you don't like them.

Drop bars, new brake and shift levers, new tires, cables, housings and chain... If you do the work yourself and shop carefully, you're looking at around 300 bucks, maybe a bit less in parts, plus 200 for the bike as-is.

You'd be hard-pressed to buy a new touring bike of anything like the same quality for much less than 2 grand.

--Shannon
Likes For ShannonM:
Old 06-15-23, 09:32 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by ShannonM
Assuming that you're looking at an early 90s steel frame and fork 750, in rideable shape and with no damage, 200 bucks is quite fair. If it's aluminum, with a suspension fork, don't bother, the old steel ones are the only good ones.
They added a zero when they went aluminum. 700 became 7000, 750 became 7500, etc. So it will be a steel frame.

OP, I would find 200 to be on the high side, 150 sure, 100 more my level for a 30 year old bike but not an outrageous price either. I'd suggest stopping into a bike shop and buy a chain checker and ask for a quick tutorial. If the chain is stretched you'll be looking at needing to drop some money into it, though if the tool barely fits you'll still get away with a decent amount of miles before you have to worry. From there, I'd be inclined to pull the hubs apart to degrease and repack the bearings. I've run barely used 30 year old bikes just as I bought them but once the hubs were redone the bikes felt way faster, the old grease still works to an extent but the tackines and viscosity just slows the bike down. Same with the BB. From there I'd just ride it, decent bike with decent parts.
Old 06-16-23, 06:01 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/b...629075024.html
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...2-322c6973e0b5
Old 06-16-23, 12:13 PM
HelpSingularity 

Originally Posted by ShannonM

If that's the bike, what you're looking at is one of the best production loaded touring framesets ever made. There's nothing that you'd put on a 2023 touring bike that won't fit the 750, and, really, the only thing you'd need to change before setting off across the country might be the flat bars if you don't like them.

Drop bars, new brake and shift levers, new tires, cables, housings and chain... If you do the work yourself and shop carefully, you're looking at around 300 bucks, maybe a bit less in parts, plus 200 for the bike as-is.

You'd be hard-pressed to buy a new touring bike of anything like the same quality for much less than 2 grand.

--Shannon
Here is a fine example, set up in a classic fashion:

1992 Trek 750 MultiTrack

Last edited by HelpSingularity; 06-16-23 at 12:17 PM.
Old 06-16-23, 01:30 PM
HelpSingularity 

So what if it's low endish and nothing special. The stuff totally works well and does the job with a little maintenance. It's a rider.
Old 06-16-23, 01:53 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by HelpSingularity
So what if it's low endish and nothing special. The stuff totally works well and does the job with a little maintenance. It's a rider.
Ok! Regardless people sometimes overpay for used stuff and this could be an easy case for this. When you don't know anything about the actual bike it is really hard to say "yeah pay almost half the price of the bike 20+ years later".
Old 06-16-23, 03:36 PM
John Valuk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 109 Posts
Originally Posted by Cbourbeau32
There is a used Trek multitrack 750 for sale on marketplace near me. They are asking $200 for it. Does that sound like a reasonable price?
As some other posters have already commented in this thread, $200 could be anywhere from a not-very-good price to a very good price for a 750 Multitrack. It depends on the condition of the bike.

The build quality on these was pretty good, and components, while nothing special, were generally not garbage. Braze-ons make it simple to attach mudguards and/or a rear rack.

They are very straightforward to work on, and the build quality is such that one is not dealing with the "junk when new" problems that sometimes plague new, cheap bikes.

For a lot of uses, these can be versatile, nice-riding bikes.
Old 06-16-23, 03:42 PM
HelpSingularity 

First, rereading my post it appears I'm coming off a little harsh, I didn't mean to be that abrupt, so please accept my apologies!

Ok! Regardless people sometimes overpay for used stuff and this could be an easy case for this. When you don't know anything about the actual bike it is really hard to say "yeah pay almost half the price of the bike 20+ years later".
I hear what you're saying. But in my wheeling dealing I have found that there are some intangibles that are worthy of a premium. Primarily for me (and others I'm sure) is the finish on the frame. If I run across something (I want and fits) with the factory finish in great condition I am more than willing to pay extra. Even if the bits are middling it gives me great joy to look at a 30-40 year old bike with minimal scrapes and dings.

Especially now with lugged production bicycles being out of production for about 25 years or so, fine (or even pretty nice) examples are getting fewer and fewer. I guess what I'm saying for me pricing is a little more nuanced. But I'm a bike kook and can't help it. On the other hand if you're looking for a commuter/townie/bar bike, then a lot of "patina" is certainly advantageous when locked up at the train station all day, 5 days a week.

Having said all that we know nothing about the OP's bike in question, so it's all kinda moot at this point. Well, time to get off of my soap box.
Old 06-16-23, 06:11 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

First, rereading my post it appears I'm coming off a little harsh, I didn't mean to be that abrupt, so please accept my apologies!

I hear what you're saying. But in my wheeling dealing I have found that there are some intangibles that are worthy of a premium. Primarily for me (and others I'm sure) is the finish on the frame. If I run across something (I want and fits) with the factory finish in great condition I am more than willing to pay extra. Even if the bits are middling it gives me great joy to look at a 30-40 year old bike with minimal scrapes and dings.

Especially now with lugged production bicycles being out of production for about 25 years or so, fine (or even pretty nice) examples are getting fewer and fewer. I guess what I'm saying for me pricing is a little more nuanced. But I'm a bike kook and can't help it. On the other hand if you're looking for a commuter/townie/bar bike, then a lot of "patina" is certainly advantageous when locked up at the train station all day, 5 days a week.

Having said all that we know nothing about the OP's bike in question, so it's all kinda moot at this point. Well, time to get off of my soap box.
It's cool, I think it is easy for all of us to do that with just typed words. No harm no foul : )

It is true that older frames are harder to get but getting lugged stuff is still doable and sometimes way way way better than some of the old stuff. You can get some benefits of modern tubing and some real artisans who take lug work to the next level, Demon Frameworks comes to mind but it looks like they have some production stuff they are working on. Bishop as well and there are others who's names I cannot remember at this time. Obviously those get a bit pricier then even a potentially overpriced 90s Trek but still if you want lugs you are probably willing to go the extra mile if you want a steel frame those are still pretty cheap and relatively easy to come by. My New Albion Privateer frame was pretty cheap and is a really nice frame for being just a cheap frame it has held up quite nicely as my parts bike and has seen a number of miles and even some not by me. Everyone who rides it loves it and I want to build other bikes like it but then I think what would I do with that I like it too much even if I built the same bike that one just is special.