Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Boredom is the enemy of extending your distance?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Boredom is the enemy of extending your distance?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-23, 09:32 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked 1,939 Times in 1,384 Posts
I've never been bored riding outside. Sometimes I'll get a little bored on my rollers, but not often. The rollers have a certain zero boredom effect because if you don't stay interested you wind up on the floor. It's rather like that outdoors, too. You want to stay alive, you stay in the present on the bike. There are so many things on which to stay concentrated. It's very hard to do everything right, every second. I hear it's called concentration. It's said that champions are also champions of concentration.

However, if one is not really interested in riding as well as is possible, given one's limitations, and one rides where there is no beauty, I can see where it might be boring. I think it takes a certain amount of drive to do one's best at anything and what one is driven to do well at is totally a personal thing.
Old 06-15-23, 10:36 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,648 Times in 2,924 Posts
It takes me 4 miles just ro get adequately warmed up.

You obviously need a reason to ride if you are bored. When I started it was initially expanding the distance I could ride from 10 ro 20 to 30 and later 100. Then it became increasing average speed which eventually got up to 20 MPH - but now it’s about 16-17. Or you want to participate in a local distance ride, so you need to train for the distance, or do group rides which help pass the time quickly at a certain MPH. Or you want to ride to a certain location which is beyond your current distance.

No one can motivate you but you. You need a goal or a reason to ride. Like enjoying the changing of the scenery with the seasons, or a place to think or something. Just getting on a bike to get on a bike is not enough. If none of the above speak to you, you may need a different pastime.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 06-15-23, 10:39 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
Question: Does OP like cycling?

Answer: No.

Question: Does OP like trolling?

I bet he can troll for an hour and feel like he's just getting started.
Old 06-15-23, 11:22 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,441 Times in 2,764 Posts
I'd love to know just how many socks he's worn through the years, Che clearly wasn't the first. Would likely be impressive.
Old 06-15-23, 11:41 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10440 Post(s)
Liked 11,914 Times in 6,101 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Question: Does OP like cycling?

Answer: No.

Question: Does OP like trolling?

I bet he can troll for an hour and feel like he's just getting started.
If you're bored within 3 miles, this is the wrong sport for you. I ride the same route pretty much every weekday ride, and the same (different but overlapping) route every Sunday ride. I don't get bored riding them.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 06-15-23, 11:48 AM
Harold74

Bikes: Miyata 1000, Lemond Zurich, Lynskey Rouleur, Airborne Zeppelin, Vintage Zullo, Miele Lupa

Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 75 Posts
I sympathize. I love short rides but find long rides utterly tedious. 95% of my riding is under 90 minutes in duration.

There are three things that have improved my experience markedly:

1) I build and maintain my own bikes. Somehow, this makes me enjoy riding those bike much more. I'm constantly evaluating their awesomeness and planning future upgrades.

2) Aftershokz headphones. They are bone conduction headphones so you can hear your audio as well as ambient noise for safety. Sometimes it's rockin' tunes, other times it's interesting podcasts.

3) I deliberately ride where there are no cars and, often, pedestrians. For better or worse, this makes the experience feel faster and more dangerous to me. Slogging away on the highway with vehicles passing me as though I was at a stand still is not for me other than the handful of century's etc that I ride annually where it's more of a social thing.

Last edited by Harold74; 06-15-23 at 11:52 AM.
Old 06-15-23, 12:00 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
I dunno, why would I ride if it were boring? If I'm doing it to get somewhere, my strategy would be to focus on getting there.

Geez, you look familiar:

Old 06-15-23, 01:02 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
what would you do if you end your ride early? you have something better to do?
Old 06-15-23, 01:07 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider

Go on the internets and mock things he doesn't understand.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-15-23, 01:11 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Harold74
I sympathize. I love short rides but find long rides utterly tedious. 95% of my riding is under 90 minutes in duration.

There are three things that have improved my experience markedly:

1) I build and maintain my own bikes. Somehow, this makes me enjoy riding those bike much more. I'm constantly evaluating their awesomeness and planning future upgrades.

2) Aftershokz headphones. They are bone conduction headphones so you can hear your audio as well as ambient noise for safety. Sometimes it's rockin' tunes, other times it's interesting podcasts.

3) I deliberately ride where there are no cars and, often, pedestrians. For better or worse, this makes the experience feel faster and more dangerous to me. Slogging away on the highway with vehicles passing me as though I was at a stand still is not for me other than the handful of century's etc that I ride annually where it's more of a social thing.

Basic rule, if riding for distance, make it fun. If you can't make it fun, pick a different activity.

You. sir, have found ways to make it fun!

I'm pretty sure OP would not consider 90 mintes to be a short ride, btw.
Old 06-15-23, 02:18 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,579 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
He’s vying for the most inane threads started trophy. He’d have it locked up if it existed.
Old 06-15-23, 03:53 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by grantelmwood
After about 8 miles, I get bored and do not motivate to keep riding. Hell, sometimes, after 3 miles I get bored, and end the ride.
The problem temptation is that my riding loop allows me the option of cutting it short instead of forcing a longer distance.

The obvious remedy would be to ride straight out for 1/2 the desired distance, thereby forcing you to complete the full distance.
What other strategies do you employ to combat cutting rides short and/or not extending them due to boredom?
Cycling isn't for you. Go find another hobby. You shouldn't have to force yourself to ride.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 06-15-23, 04:17 PM
GetUpnGo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I can identify with the boredom problem. Where I live, I can go right or left when I exit my driveway and both routes are undesirable. Also, I've biked most of the roads in the area over and over again. Sadly, I find that the only solution to cycling boredom involves a car. The main motivational challenge for me is putting the rack on the car, putting the bike on the rack, and packing food etc. My main biking enjoyment comes from the scenery. There is plenty of that, but I have to drive to it. I find that NOVELTY is a big motivator, as in discovering new places. Another thing that overcomes boredom is combining other activities on a long daytrip---biking plus hiking, visiting a new place, etc. For the OP one solution might be fewer but longer trips that are worth driving to. I have the same problem with hiking and kayaking---going to the same places over and over for decades. I'm seriously wanting to move to another state for this reason.
Old 06-15-23, 10:07 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,648 Times in 2,924 Posts
Originally Posted by GetUpnGo
I can identify with the boredom problem. Where I live, I can go right or left when I exit my driveway and both routes are undesirable. Also, I've biked most of the roads in the area over and over again. Sadly, I find that the only solution to cycling boredom involves a car. The main motivational challenge for me is putting the rack on the car, putting the bike on the rack, and packing food etc. My main biking enjoyment comes from the scenery. There is plenty of that, but I have to drive to it. I find that NOVELTY is a big motivator, as in discovering new places. Another thing that overcomes boredom is combining other activities on a long daytrip---biking plus hiking, visiting a new place, etc. For the OP one solution might be fewer but longer trips that are worth driving to. I have the same problem with hiking and kayaking---going to the same places over and over for decades. I'm seriously wanting to move to another state for this reason.
Bring retired, I have ridden the same roads dozens and dozens of times. To break it up, I put the bike on the car rack and drive it to a new or fun location and ride. Some of my most enjoyable rides have been after driving the bike to a location and then finding new coffee or lunch spots.

Old 06-15-23, 10:28 PM
Mtracer

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 194 Posts
I've never been bored riding. I know sometimes I'm doing math calculations in my head. For example, I'll note my power, and speed, and knowing my weight I can get a good number on the gradient I'm currently riding. Sometimes I estimate head or tailwinds on flats given current power and speed and knowing my rolling resistance and CdA. Doing cubes and sometimes cube roots in my head keeps me occupied. Or estimating the time it will take to complete the ride or a segment. That type of thing. Often I'm thinking about how much effort I want to put into the next climb. Of course, always looking out for road hazards, cars etc.

I do make it a point to mix up routes and types of rides. Sometimes 3-4 hours with minimal climbing. Other items a shorter but intense ride with multiple steep climbs.

I know I tend to have a inner narrative going all the time. If I'm really pushing, it's just saying "shut up legs" over and over.
Likes For Mtracer:
Old 06-16-23, 10:16 AM
Bald Paul

Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked 1,659 Times in 784 Posts
Next time you're out riding, stop in the middle of a RR crossing. Stay there until you hear a loud horn, which you should ignore until the last possible second. Either your boredom will end, or your ride will. Win-Win!
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 06-16-23, 10:26 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
Maybe you should take up a different sport that you don't find boring. I can't recall ever really being bored when riding. Zoned out maybe, but not bored. I've done tours up to 73 days and days up to 143 miles. Never bored. Same for running. Indoor trainer, yes I've been bored doing that. Treadmill running, unbearable. For some reason I don't get bored on the rowing machine so when stuck inside I row.
Old 06-16-23, 10:34 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 968 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
Even my little short neighborhood rides are getting more difficult. With my declining strength, conditioning, and proprioception every little ride is a true challenge. I don't get bored. I do get plenty scared though. Like the other day I hit some light gravel just a few millimeters deep on a turn and nearly lost it...

Nope... No time for boredom...
Old 06-16-23, 10:50 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,579 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by grantelmwood
What other strategies do you employ to combat cutting rides short and/or not extending them due to boredom?
Not riding would mean you would never get bored on a ride. I suggest you give it a try. Report back in six months and prove me wrong.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-16-23, 10:56 AM
cellery

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 12 Posts
Podcasts and legal drugs help to keep my daily rides, which are mostly the same route, from becoming monotonous. And while some may find this statement to be heresy, it's ok to switch up your outdoors activities from time to time. I basically didn't ride at all for like 3 years, after I discovered wilderness backpacking. Hiking is the best way to train for that and cycling does practically nothing for the level of knee & hip strength you need for that. But now I occasionally get bored of hiking. So I switch back to cycling. And then trail running got into the mix on and off the past few years. And then with all this wilderness experience I gained from backpacking - I'm now more into cycling than ever, and am re-engaging with bikepacking currently. Variety is the spice of life and the antidote to boredom. Maybe you just need to switch things up to an activity that you're not so good at, that you can grow into again. Remember when cycling was hard?
Likes For cellery:
Old 06-16-23, 11:33 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,441 Times in 2,764 Posts
Originally Posted by cellery
Remember when cycling was hard?
Pretty sure OP doesn't.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 06-16-23, 11:49 AM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
I agree that boredom is sometimes an enemy of extending distance. I have no doubt of it. I, too, get myself un-bored when appropriate.
Old 06-16-23, 07:18 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
I ride the same roads pretty much every day (so I can start from my house rather than drive my bike somewhere) and I enjoy the ride. I'm like a hamster in a cage who just climbs into that wheel and spins. Or maybe the track athlete that keeps running around that same oval lap after lap. I enjoy the exercise and don't need a change of scenery to make it enjoyable.
Old 06-16-23, 07:43 PM
Mtracer

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 194 Posts
I will say that while I never get bored riding outside, indoor rides are extremely boring to me. Even using Zwift and many others I’ve tried.

After 30 minutes, I start hoping a meteor takes me out. I’m lucky my winters are relatively mild, so I can usually keep the number of indoor rides to less than 10 per year. Even then I tend to make them relatively short, high intensity rides.
Likes For Mtracer:
Old 06-16-23, 07:52 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
Originally Posted by Mtracer
I will say that while I never get bored riding outside, indoor rides are extremely boring to me...
I've never used an indoor trainer, thinking just what you said. I envision boredom, and quitting early. Too easy to get off. When riding on the road, I just keep riding until I've finished my route. I don't think I'd have the discipline to keep pedaling if I'm not going anywhere.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.