Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

frame terminology and general design info source

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-23, 12:08 PM
MRBoston

Bikes: 1977 Nishiki in rehab

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I' have recently done a basic refurb on my 1977 Nishiki Olympic, after decades of not riding, and in the process, decided I would do some dimensional documentation and perhaps create a CAD model of the bike for future reference. Whether that project has any real merit is another question entirely, but in getting the bike road- and ride-worthy, I did some basic measuring of various locating points, and became curious about a couple of things:

1. Whether there is easily accessible general frame design information, such as "normal" range of angular dimension relationships of frame tubes, and
2. Where I might find a good layout drawing and/or associated information defining/naming the various parts of a typical road bike frame.

I was not in any way curious about this sort of stuff when I bought the bike originally, but was simply interested in getting transport for work commuting in Boston and getting around without car, so I'm playing a little catch-up here.
My curiosity was sharpened after I had created a hand sketch and started the CAD model, using an eyeballed 75-degree value for the seat tube-to-crank bearing housing, then saw some discussion on this forum that contained several references to 76 degrees for what I recall as a few different frames. That made me wonder about "standard" design dims.
If anyone has pointers for basic info, that would be appreciated. Thanks --
Old 07-08-23, 02:52 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3,700 Times in 2,520 Posts
Standard seat tube and head tube angles are both 73 degrees (because that's what I like). 72 degrees is also common. I would expect most road bikes to be somewhere between 68 and 75 degrees. One source of this information is manufacturer websites.

I don't know if you can get a free version of rattlecad at this time. There are demo versions of bikecad https://bikecad.ca/bikecadpro (at the bottom). Not sure what the limitations are, it might work for you.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 07-08-23, 03:45 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4211 Post(s)
Liked 3,881 Times in 2,316 Posts
Pre interweb we viewed the CONI book and Sutherland's Manual as the defining texts on this. Andy
Old 07-08-23, 04:52 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3591 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Martin Manning wrote an Excel spreadsheet for frame geometry (also works in LibreOffice and gnumeric). It hasn't been updated for a while, but is still relevant.
XLS file: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...f=true&sd=true
Documentation: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...f=true&sd=true
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 07-08-23, 05:56 PM
MRBoston

Bikes: 1977 Nishiki in rehab

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for the pointers. The Sutherland's Handbook looks especially useful. I'm sure I'll have some more questions at some point. Any additional recommendations accepted with gratitude.
Old 07-08-23, 06:43 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
I'd be interested in seeing the angles on the Olympic. I raced a '76 Fuji Pro. 74 seat, 75 head. 59 cm seat tube. Roughly the same top tube. Chainstays as short as you can do and still get an inflated training tubular in. (With a little muscle; race Criterium Setas went in just fine. You could only insert your fingers between seat stay and tire once. NOT recommended!)
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 07-09-23, 09:34 AM
guy153

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 212 Posts
https://geometrygeeks.bike/ is a good resource.
Likes For guy153: