Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Why do so many drivers think speeding is safe?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Why do so many drivers think speeding is safe?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-23, 05:31 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked 1,659 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by TC1
Also, it is actually impossible to crash due to speed alone, without violating at least one other rule of the road.
Sorry, I extended my quotation of what you wrote.

Originally Posted by TC1
There are no rules of the road applied to solo qualifying on a race track.
Well, if there are no rules of the road to violate, can you explain why they sometimes crash?

Originally Posted by TC1
Make some effort to understand the point before continuing your inane attempt at discussion.
Make some effort to stop contradicting yourself, unless you want to continue to sound like an idiot.
Old 12-03-23, 06:01 PM
TC1

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Well, if there are no rules of the road to violate, can you explain why they sometimes crash?
You do not appear to have the slightest idea of what is being discussed here, so I invite you again to discontinue.

That said, you are apparently unaware of the difference between "rules of the road" and "laws of physics". The former govern how road users interact with each other, and the latter govern how objects behave -- among other things. Read up on both topics before attempting to continue, for your own sake.

Make some effort to stop contradicting yourself, unless you want to continue to sound like an idiot.
I made no contradiction, at all. You, unfortunately, have demonstrated an inability to understand the topic at hand, and as a result, should ruminate for a while on the wisdom of resorting to name-calling.
Old 12-03-23, 07:36 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,868 Times in 3,013 Posts

Ah that’s an easy one. It’s when they run out of talent.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 12-04-23, 07:20 AM
Bald Paul

Originally Posted by TC1
you are apparently unaware of the difference between "rules of the road" and "laws of physics". The former govern how road users interact with each other, and the latter govern how objects behave -- among other things. Read up on both topics before attempting to continue, for your own sake.
I am very much aware of the difference between the two. What confuses me is how you seem to think that they are completely separate from each other. Speed limits are set on public roads so that people won't approach that point in the laws of physics where speed alone can cause - or contribute greatly to - a crash. That "point" is not finite. It varies very much with road conditions, traffic and the actions of others, mechanical condition of the vehicle, weather, etc. 80MPH on a dry road with no traffic may be within the abilities of some drivers. 80MPH on that same road in a downpour with worn tires is a recipe for a hydroplaning disaster.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 12-04-23, 07:26 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
It irks me that the one PSA I've never seen on those LED boards over the highway is one about following too close. You'd think they could come up with a clever slogan to drive that home. How many collisions could be avoided with proper following distances, regardless of speed?
Likes For RB1-luvr:
Old 12-04-23, 12:01 PM
TC1

I am very much aware of the difference between the two. What confuses me is how you seem to think that they are completely separate from each other.
Rules of the road vary from place to place, and from non-existent to incredibly strict. The laws of physics are constant and immutable. It's not difficult to understand that they are completely separate.

Speed limits are set on public roads so that people won't approach that point in the laws of physics where speed alone can cause - or contribute greatly to - a crash.
You are demonstrating an almost-complete misunderstanding of how speed limits are set, first of all.

​​​​​​​Second, the point is that the first part of your claim -- speed alone causing a crash -- is not possible with the rules of the road which exist in the US, and many other countries.
Old 12-04-23, 12:01 PM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
Funny, I thought this thread was about "People's Perception of Risk." Frankly, that's been well studied in the context of finance, and the conclusion is that "people don't do risk rationally." So why should this be any different?
Anyone should admit that many factors affect the "risk of traveling faster than the sign indicates." Quality of the roadway, weather, visibility, crowding, familiarity, vehicle condition, operator skills... there's no end.
I don't know why that person there drives 10mph under the speed limit; their risk assessment is flawed.
I don't know why that person there drives 10mph over the speed limit, their risk assessment is flawed.
Oh, you drive exactly the speed limit. I say you are perfect, and I know everything.
Silliness. Be skilled, be careful and respect the social order.
Old 12-04-23, 02:11 PM
Bald Paul

Originally Posted by TC1
Second, the point is that the first part of your claim -- speed alone causing a crash -- is not possible with the rules of the road which exist in the US, and many other countries.
Correct me if I'm wrong here, as I'm certain you will. You were the one that stated that speed alone would not cause a crash. I disagreed with that statement. Now, you're stating that a crash due to speed alone is not possible within the rules of the road (i.e.: speed limits).
Well, duh.
If you're obeying the rules of the road, you aren't speeding. Speed limits on public roads are set with the skill of the average driver, the mechanical ability of the average vehicle, and the average conditions of the road taken into consideration.
Old 12-04-23, 03:56 PM
TC1

Correct me if I'm wrong here, as I'm certain you will. You were the one that stated that speed alone would not cause a crash. I disagreed with that statement. Now, you're stating that a crash due to speed alone is not possible within the rules of the road (i.e.: speed limits).
Unsurprisingly, you are again wrong. I wrote the following statement: "It is actually impossible to crash due to speed alone, without violating at least one other rule of the road."

See if you can puzzle out how that differs from your claim above.

Well, duh.
Duh, indeed. Do us both a favor, and read more carefully before replying.
Old 12-04-23, 04:51 PM
Alan K

Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 259 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Which is remarkable as I m always wondering what some of these people do for a living, because judging by how they drive, they appear to be the stupidest people on the damned planet.
Well, I hate to inform you, you are living a very sheltered life in NY. You should get out more… try parts of Asia, for example. 😉
Likes For Alan K:
Old 12-04-23, 11:26 PM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 377 Posts
PSA: The ignore list is a wonderful tool.
Likes For john m flores:
Old 12-05-23, 02:18 AM
Alan K

Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 259 Posts
Primary cause of most accidents is lack or poor situational awareness of surroundings for a variety of reasons, including driving under the influence of mind/reaction altering substances. Higher the speed and greater the differential in speed between automobiles involved in an accidents, more the damage.
It would seem unbelievable to drivers in US but in general, we have far less situational awareness on roads here than good drivers do in Asia for simple reasons that in Asia, they have to account for and react to the insanely absurd behavior and actions of others from all around them, and still manage to complete the trip unscathed. Majority of the average US drivers who may consider themselves to be a safe driver here, wouldn’t survive a week of driving in a big city in Asia without getting involved in an accident.
Likes For Alan K:
Old 12-05-23, 02:34 PM
Roughstuff
Punk Rock Lives

Location: Throughout the west in a van, on my bike, and in the forest

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker with BRIFTERS!

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by TC1
A large part of the answer is because many drivers drive on interstates that were designed for 75 mph speed limits, but are posted at 55 or thereabouts. Many are also old enough to remember the NMSL, which artificially limited legal speeds well below roadways' design speeds. So many drivers have been unintentionally trained to regard speed limits with skepticism, or worse.

Also, it is actually impossible to crash due to speed alone, without violating at least one other rule of the road. Lazy cops cite speed as the cause of almost all crashes, but that's because they are constitutionally opposed to thinking and/or working. So, technically anyway, speeding is safe if the driver can manage to obey all the other rules.
In addition, back in the 1970 envirowhacko days of "68 F and 55 MPH are my limits," there were hysterical projections of what would happen if these parameters were modified or horrors, eliminated. Much the same howling accompanied the arrival of speed control technology (led by, if you can believe it, the KENNEDYS! ).

You are correct that speed is almost always suggested as a factor, much as CoVid was blamed for almost any and all deaths two years ago.

In the USA, 40% of pedestrian deaths involve an intoxicated pedestrian.
Old 12-05-23, 03:02 PM
TC1

Originally Posted by Roughstuff
And about 30% of cyclist fatalities were drunk cycling, as well.
Likes For TC1:
Old 12-05-23, 03:49 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by TC1
Drunk, as in a measured level of alcohol/blood ratio exceeding a legal limit? Or allegedly had any amount of alcohol in their system?
Old 12-06-23, 08:46 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
I'd like to see solid verification of that stat in any case. Doesn't mesh with the reality in my jurisdiction.
Old 12-06-23, 09:30 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by TC1
Do those allegedly "drunk" pedestrian and cyclist fatalities include pedestrians and cyclists who were walking or cycling properly and IAW the rules of the road but were the victims of motorists who ran red lights and similar reckless acts who were 100% at fault while running down these allegedly "drunk" victims from behind or while on sidewalks, shoulders and crosswalks?
Old 12-07-23, 02:41 PM
Roughstuff
Punk Rock Lives

Location: Throughout the west in a van, on my bike, and in the forest

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker with BRIFTERS!

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by TC1
REALLY!? I have my doubts about the pedestrian data, but some of my fellow riders are taking a bit of nip?
Old 12-07-23, 03:27 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,584 Times in 1,432 Posts
Why do so many people think it's unsafe?.

The speed limit is a single value and the real world involves many variables. Sometimes the speed limit is well above what's actually safe based on conditions, and conversely, is well below what's safe.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 12-07-23, 05:56 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

REALLY!? I have my doubts about the pedestrian data, but some of my fellow riders are taking a bit of nip?
A bit of a nip is not the definition of being drunk or intoxicated, or evidence of fault in a fatal event except perhaps for a know-nothing good book thumper or some other dingy holy roller type character.
Old 12-09-23, 04:58 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 976 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Why do so many people think it's unsafe?.

The speed limit is a single value and the real world involves many variables. Sometimes the speed limit is well above what's actually safe based on conditions, and conversely, is well below what's safe.
As someone who lives in a climate where safe speed limits are variable I am sure that you know that speed limits during the change of seasons are bull. Speed limits are set to protect drivers from their worst selves. I have been my worst self in the past. I choose to no longer do that
Guess what? Speeding is very often NOT safe
Old 12-09-23, 05:09 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,584 Times in 1,432 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
As someone who lives in a climate where safe speed limits are variable I am sure that you know that speed limits during the change of seasons are bull. Speed limits are set to protect drivers from their worst selves. .....
It's a semantic and/or philosophical difference. I recognize the difference between a limit and a target.

The speed limit represents a legal boundry and is a construct representing a balance between safety and convenience (or desire) for average drivers in average cars with average conditions. The real world safe speed can be higher or lower based on specifics.
Old 12-09-23, 06:20 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,868 Times in 3,013 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
Speed limits are set to protect drivers from their worst selves. I have been my worst self in the past. I choose to no longer do that
Guess what? Speeding is very often NOT safe
How would you deal with unrestricted German Autobahns? No speed limit, so you have to decide for yourself what speed is safe or dangerous.

Here in the UK the motorway speed limit is an arbitrary 70 mph, which I often find is a complete joke in most conditions.
Old 12-09-23, 06:26 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 648 Times in 381 Posts
Because they haven't worked in a ER for years...
Likes For CrimsonEclipse:
Old 12-09-23, 08:12 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 976 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
How would you deal with unrestricted German Autobahns? No speed limit, so you have to decide for yourself what speed is safe or dangerous.

Here in the UK the motorway speed limit is an arbitrary 70 mph, which I often find is a complete joke in most conditions.
This is because that German drivers are the most displined anywhere in the world. Don't try to drive at anywhere under the speed limit in the left lane in Germany. It simply isn't done.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.