Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Does anyone here still have one of these? Roubaix Comp full carbon..

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Does anyone here still have one of these? Roubaix Comp full carbon..

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-24, 05:52 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1612 Post(s)
Liked 2,594 Times in 1,225 Posts
Originally Posted by Champlaincycler

sorry, bad pics from my tablet,
A 2010 Robaix I bought almost 2 yrs back for a good price, wish it was as good as yours. Is that an oval crank on your bike? Just replaced crank and BB on mine, as far as I know, all else is original. Comfortable bike and I actually like the look. Have my eye out for a cheap rear wheel so I can get it on the road once in a while, original is weighty with a ton of spokes. Love the seat.
Shimano R600 compact crank.
Old 01-06-24, 06:09 PM
Bikedued

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
Well, got a new set of tires, which were supposed to be 25c, and they look no bigger than the 23c's I took off. Same brand, Vittorio Zaffiro Pro with flat protection. Instead of the Rubino Slicks that were on it. The ride is decent, only slighter stiffer
than a nice steel frame. and part of that may be the blown out padding on the Tri saddle... I think the bike will be a good match for me and I may be back to metric centuries by the end of Summer. I am a bit shaky still being off of a bike since 2018, but I was
able to turn around on a regular size side street without crashing, so that's a good sign.
Old 01-07-24, 03:05 PM
Bikedued

Jeez hard to find good help I guess. The person cutting the housing for me KNEW it was a late 2000's Specialized Roubaix, and cut/sold me compressionless brake housing which I can't use because the brake housing on these bikes doesn't use ferrules except on the frame cable stops. Then for shifter housing, they sold me 5mm instead of 4mm. I'm just going to order a SPIRAL brake box kit, and a 4mm road shifter box kit. I got it all cleaned and polished, and is looking good except for the stem and saddle. That will get fixed when the saddle comes in, and maybe a Specialized stem. At least it was a 17 angle so could be flipped to sit level. I will order a non Bontrager.

Last edited by Bikedued; 01-07-24 at 04:16 PM.
Old 01-08-24, 03:38 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,872 Times in 3,016 Posts
Yeah I would definitely get a new stem. Bontrager parts on a Specialized just doesn’t liook right! I would also peel off that yellow sticker on the seat tube. I presume it’s some warning about not over tightening the clamp.

It will look pretty sharp when finished. Great value bike.
Old 01-08-24, 07:19 AM
Bikedued

Yep, max 65 inch pounds on the yellow label. Specialized Comp Multi stem on the way. I also got a spacer kit. For some reason someone changed
the tapered spacer above the head tube to Cane Creek, and it's maybe an eighth inch shorter stack than it should be. The steerer is taller than the stacked
spacers now. In order to preload the bearings I need at least one more, so I ordered a package set. I will be covered. It would be pretty much done right now if that person
had done their job and given me the right brake and shifter housing. Also the crank finish bugs me. It seems like an afterthought to have that big silver finish crankset
when everything else is a different shade of gray, chrome, or black. Maybe I should find an Ultegra set, though it may not have the same gearing, which I kind of like.

Just read about the recalled cranks, so I will have to be careful choosing.. Thankfully it is mostly 11 speed stuff.

Last edited by Bikedued; 01-08-24 at 07:41 AM.
Old 01-09-24, 06:45 PM
ArgoMan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 22 Posts
Dude, $155 bucks?! Total Deal. So much overrated and overpriced stuff on the market. I know a gal that just bought a barely used Pinarello Dogma off some old guy for $2,000. The guy paid over $11,000 for it, barley rode it, and then dumped it for 2K! But even for 2K it's almost too much bike for her! Good for you and your $155 carbon Specialized bike!
Likes For ArgoMan:
Old 01-09-24, 11:21 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 723 Posts
The shop should have given you the right ferrules, the compressionless brake should have stepped ferrules to make it fit the frame, though the diameter of the brake hose should be similar enough to fit. Der housing will usually need the stepped ferrules but if that's the housing they're selling those are the ends they should be giving, kinda dumb of the shop not to. For 155, that's a bargain, it'd even get me on a specialized, enjoy the ride.
Old 01-10-24, 12:10 PM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
Effectively theft at $155. Nice lift. One of my ponies is a 2005 SWorks Roubaix (which I stole, too). Still a better ride than most of the others in the stable, thus I keep her well fed and shod. Early on, thought I should swap out the triple in the front. But as I got older...
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 01-10-24, 12:24 PM
PeteHski

Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,872 Times in 3,016 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikedued
Yep, max 65 inch pounds on the yellow label. Specialized Comp Multi stem on the way. I also got a spacer kit. For some reason someone changed
the tapered spacer above the head tube to Cane Creek, and it's maybe an eighth inch shorter stack than it should be. The steerer is taller than the stacked
spacers now. In order to preload the bearings I need at least one more, so I ordered a package set. I will be covered. It would be pretty much done right now if that person
had done their job and given me the right brake and shifter housing. Also the crank finish bugs me. It seems like an afterthought to have that big silver finish crankset
when everything else is a different shade of gray, chrome, or black. Maybe I should find an Ultegra set, though it may not have the same gearing, which I kind of like.

Just read about the recalled cranks, so I will have to be careful choosing.. Thankfully it is mostly 11 speed stuff.
I agree about the crank finish clashing badly with the rest. I thought the recall was only 11-speed Ultegra/DuraAce, but I could be wrong.
Old 01-10-24, 12:28 PM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
I def would have bought that. Great deal. I wish you lots of fun safe miles on it.
Old 01-10-24, 01:54 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Great deal

Old 01-14-24, 03:03 PM
Bikedued

It got up over 45 degrees today, so I went out and finished it up. Except the saddle of course. It is not coming until Tuesday if the tracking is correct.

Old 01-14-24, 09:04 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 299 Posts
Looks very similar to mine, which I was told was a 2008 when I bought it a couple years ago. Different color scheme though. I like the bike itself. But as stated in another thread, I hate the wheels I got with it. No idea what was original but mine had ALX 298s on it when I bought it.

Oh, and what do you plan to do with the aero bars?
Old 01-14-24, 09:13 PM
VegasJen

For comparison.
Old 01-14-24, 10:42 PM
Bikedued

Originally Posted by VegasJen
For comparison.
I am thinking the cranks on mine were updated, but the weird thing is that I was working at a Specialized dealer from 09-13, and a few times, the store owner was able to buy older models still new in the box. The cranks on mine remind me of those
we got several models of around 2011. I can distinctly remember the cranks that are on mine, were the ones that came on the ones we got 2 years after the fact. Maybe it was the end of the run, they needed cranks, and installed what they had. The
model was updated in paint schemes, and the models with different newer cranks never shipped. After these, they got all the larger tubed carbon frames, curved top tubes, different paint schemes, tapered head tubes, and so on.

If you want the tri bars I could be talked out of them cheaply. I have tried them before, and found them to look cluttered, and somewhat dangerous unless you're riding alone. I have no use for them. The hardware is a little sweat rusted, but overall they're
in decent condition. One of them is missing an end cap if memory serves.
Old 01-14-24, 11:58 PM
VegasJen

I would be interested. I ride on aero bars on all my bikes. Don't do any group rides, so not a big deal there. Wouldn't mind a quality set to replace the cheapies I have on one of my bikes.

Like I said, I was told this was a 2008, but I really have no idea how accurate that is. I guess it sounds about right. It was/is my first (and only, so far) CF bike. Everything else is aluminum. I bought it when I started to really get into triathlon, since purchased two different dedicated tri bikes, but I still use this for triathlon on particularly hilly courses.

Also as I have said, when I bought it, it had a pair of ALX 298s on it. Not knowing any better, I thought those were original. I also thought they were supposed to be a decent wheel. As of now, I don't know they're garbage, but that's my opinion.

For a long time after I bought the bike, I was really disappointed. It felt pretty fast but the ride was just... weird. I can't describe it really. Mushy maybe? I just never really knew what was going on with the bike. Being my only CF bike, I thought it was just the natural feel of a carbon bike. But I happened across a Xero wheel set for a song and put those on. Xero may not be a high end wheel, but it's worlds better than the ALX. After swapping them out, I actually began to like riding that bike. Now it is my go-to for anything that isn't a flat triathlon course.
Old 01-20-24, 09:14 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
That black and red paint job was the first "roadie" paint job that Mrs Road Fan liked. I had the brilliant idea to buy her one, but then she had the more brillient idea to order a steel Terry for her. She loves her Terry. But if such a nice Roubaix turned up that fit me nicely, I'd still take it!
Old 01-20-24, 10:04 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1612 Post(s)
Liked 2,594 Times in 1,225 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikedued
I am thinking the cranks on mine were updated, but the weird thing is that I was working at a Specialized dealer from 09-13, and a few times, the store owner was able to buy older models still new in the box. The cranks on mine remind me of those
we got several models of around 2011. I can distinctly remember the cranks that are on mine, were the ones that came on the ones we got 2 years after the fact. Maybe it was the end of the run, they needed cranks, and installed what they had. The
model was updated in paint schemes, and the models with different newer cranks never shipped. After these, they got all the larger tubed carbon frames, curved top tubes, different paint schemes, tapered head tubes, and so on.

If you want the tri bars I could be talked out of them cheaply. I have tried them before, and found them to look cluttered, and somewhat dangerous unless you're riding alone. I have no use for them. The hardware is a little sweat rusted, but overall they're
in decent condition. One of them is missing an end cap if memory serves.
That r600 crank and your group looks stock. Picture from that link I posted.
Old 01-28-24, 02:19 PM
Bikedued

It's looking pretty damn good now. Just got the silicone hoods installed this morning. The saddle and tires were installed a week ago.

Old 01-29-24, 12:29 PM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2789 Post(s)
Liked 1,951 Times in 1,207 Posts
I have an 07 Tarmac version of that bike. Even the paint is almost the same, mine has some silver in it. I ride it quite a bit, it's on my trainer .
Old 01-29-24, 01:19 PM
Bikedued

I used to build these at a specialized dealer straight out of the box starting in late 2009 to about 2013. I had people requesting me to work on their bike and no one else. That was a good feeling. Since I could buy bikes at cost Plus about 10% if I remember correctly I came so close to buying this exact bike but bought a hard rock 29er instead. We got a bunch of these in that were a couple of years old but still in the box direct from specialized. And he was selling them cheap compared to the original price so he was actually giving me his cost Plus 10%. So it was like 900 bucks or something like that. It would have been a hell of a deal. But I bought the 29er instead and then threw a rock shox Reba fork on It upgraded the crank, derailleurs, brakes, the whole deal for about the same price.
Old 01-30-24, 12:56 PM
Breadfan

Bikes: Niner RLT 9, 1972 Nishiki Road Compe, Jamis Renegade, Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 39 Posts
My wife has that exact same bike as you, Bikedued. I also thought it was a 2007. We bought hers from a lady who had two and hardly rode the one she sold us, it was just like new. Cost us 425 and I still say it was worth every penny so, you got a good deal.
Old 02-15-24, 02:27 PM
Scrib4lex

Bikes: Kuota Ksano

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Specialized does us all a tremendous service by archiving and keeping published all their old bike spec pages. I learned this during my FB marketplace bike hunt of about 6 months ago when I was trying to track down bike years and specs from marketplace listing where it was fairly clear the seller did not know much about their bikes...

The one you posted looks like a 2008 Roubaix Comp Triple
I can't post links yet cause Im still a bikeforums noob - but if you search "2008 Roubaix Comp Triple", the specialized page should come up as a result - all the specs are on the page
MSRP looks like it was 1600 - so yeah, I'd say you got yourself a deal. The Fact rating is 6r, which is pretty low, not sure I've seen lower tbh - less stiff, slightly heavier than the 8-10-11r etc.

Last edited by Scrib4lex; 02-15-24 at 02:30 PM.
Old 02-17-24, 12:30 PM
VegasJen

Originally Posted by Scrib4lex
Specialized does us all a tremendous service by archiving and keeping published all their old bike spec pages. I learned this during my FB marketplace bike hunt of about 6 months ago when I was trying to track down bike years and specs from marketplace listing where it was fairly clear the seller did not know much about their bikes...

The one you posted looks like a 2008 Roubaix Comp Triple
I can't post links yet cause Im still a bikeforums noob - but if you search "2008 Roubaix Comp Triple", the specialized page should come up as a result - all the specs are on the page
MSRP looks like it was 1600 - so yeah, I'd say you got yourself a deal. The Fact rating is 6r, which is pretty low, not sure I've seen lower tbh - less stiff, slightly heavier than the 8-10-11r etc.
Thanks for the info. I have a Roubiax very similar to the OP but I am unsure of the year or specs. And I just acquired a 2015 Shiv, which I am super excited about. I have found Specialized customer service chat to be very helpful.
Old 02-19-24, 09:05 AM
dilbert2000

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 12 Posts
This was my first road bike.
Still have it, it's my indoor rollers bike now.
Likes For dilbert2000:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.