Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Increase Max Width of Front Tire

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Increase Max Width of Front Tire

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-23, 09:30 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
So your proposal, to make the bike ride softer, is to eliminate the plush Madone carbon fork and replace it with a stiff steel fork?

This thread is luny.
A. Wasn't my idea to buy a new fork to increase the front tire width one size.

B. For all I know, there may be a carbon fork available with a similar rake that fits bigger tires and the Madone's headset. But since carbon forks are extremely expensive to produce as a one-off, a custom steel fork is always a possibility. Paint it black and put a "CARBON" sticker on it if you'd like.

C. The most compliant fork I've ever ridden is my steel Bilenky. I can look down and watch the fork flexing to soak up shock on a rough road. If there's a carbon fork that behaves similarly, it's outside my experience.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 12-28-23, 06:10 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,563 Times in 1,026 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
A. Wasn't my idea to buy a new fork to increase the front tire width one size.

B. For all I know, there may be a carbon fork available with a similar rake that fits bigger tires and the Madone's headset. But since carbon forks are extremely expensive to produce as a one-off, a custom steel fork is always a possibility. Paint it black and put a "CARBON" sticker on it if you'd like.

C. The most compliant fork I've ever ridden is my steel Bilenky. I can look down and watch the fork flexing to soak up shock on a rough road. If there's a carbon fork that behaves similarly, it's outside my experience.
The original Madone/Lemond :Trek Classic" carbon fork was one of the most compliant. Most steel forks are not, and even the more flexible steel forks are less so than old carbon or aluminum road forks:

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/..._forktest.html

I'd be interested to see how Bilenky made your fork so flexible.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 12-29-23, 10:30 AM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
A new fork is going to be a big pain that will likely look stupid. Get more supple 25c tires, get softer riding wheels, sell your bike and get the one you want, etc. 25c tires are fine. Nothing magic happens when you make the tire 10% larger.
What he said. I put 28s on my 2012 Madone, and while I can say the ride may have gotten infinitesimally smoother, getting a fully inflated tire past the brake pads got more difficult, some cornering precision was lost, and gravel performance was still sketchy.

Stock Madone rims of that era were narrow by today's standards and road tire width has to be chosen in regard to rim width. With stock rims my 28s only measured about 26.4 and I had too much sidewall bulge for crisp cornering. I've noticed that 25mm Bontrager AW3s run narrow, so I might not be done with 28 if I go with this tire.

On the other hand, if you want to try a fork with more offset in order to shorten trail, you might give it a try. My 43 year-old Masi has similar angles but more offset and it floats nicely over gravel with 25s.
Likes For oldbobcat:
Old 01-20-24, 01:18 AM
danallen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Wow, this discussion is amazingly detailed, creative, and informed. Even the wackiness is well-reasoned. The sophistication you bring blows me away. Obviously, I am not worthy, but I do thank you.

Decision and Attitude Caused This Thread

I am very pleased to now feel 100% confident in forgetting about looking for another fork. The awesomeness of the fork I have is nothing to improve with a hack not engineered specifically for the rest of the ride.

Benefits of different tires is something I might try sometime. My main objective with tires is avoiding flats. Houston street riding inflicts damage before tires wear out. I hate that. I have been switching to gatorskins, away from Grand Prix 5000, as a result. I am sticking with the old bike on thin wheels and tires, at 120 psi. Even though the streets have debris that damages the tires, plus some cases of broken pavement, sometimes hugely bumping from lots of pothole patches or generally broken surfaces, the surfaces for the most-part are smooth enough to give a smooth ride on the high -pressure tires. I tired riding out in a rural area, where the roads are much cleaner and unbroken, but the surface was brutally bumpy because of the material used for paving. Vicious vibration. I don't know what I would do if my usual roads were like those. I think I would need a different bike.

I am very happy having a bike that moved the state of the art forward when it was developed 16 years ago, even though it is missing the innovations since then.

While this question has been up, I have. been looking for new wheels. The main goal I have on the wheels is more spokes, making them stronger, less apt to be damaged in normal use. I will be sticking with thin wheels, but with extra spokes.
Old 01-20-24, 04:11 PM
oldbobcat

Originally Posted by danallen
Benefits of different tires is something I might try sometime. My main objective with tires is avoiding flats. Houston street riding inflicts damage before tires wear out. I hate that. I have been switching to gatorskins, away from Grand Prix 5000, as a result. I am sticking with the old bike on thin wheels and tires, at 120 psi. Even though the streets have debris that damages the tires, plus some cases of broken pavement, sometimes hugely bumping from lots of pothole patches or generally broken surfaces, the surfaces for the most-part are smooth enough to give a smooth ride on the high -pressure tires.
Unless you're a real heavyweight, you could try lowering your pressure. Even at 195, my 25s are happy at 90-95 psi.
Old 01-20-24, 05:27 PM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbobcat
Unless you're a real heavyweight, you could try lowering your pressure. Even at 195, my 25s are happy at 90-95 psi.
I'm about the same weight, 190, and I ride my GP 5000s at 80 rear, 75 front on my Emonda.
Old 01-21-24, 06:28 PM
oldbobcat

Originally Posted by Outrider1
I'm about the same weight, 190, and I ride my GP 5000s at 80 rear, 75 front on my Emonda.
With 25s?
Old 01-22-24, 06:39 AM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 140 Posts
Yep. Been rolling like that for a couple of years now. I installed 28s, also GP 5000, as that's the largest my frame will fit, and didn't like the ride. I felt too removed from road input so went back to 25s at the lower psi and found that set up, my current, to be the best compromise for my riding style.

Last edited by Outrider1; 01-22-24 at 06:44 AM.
Old 01-23-24, 06:32 PM
oldschoolbike

Bikes: 1974 PX-10E sold, 1977 Witcomb stolen, 1980 Roberts 1 speed, 1987 Cyclops 3 x 6 friction triple crank, 2010 Masi Commuter 1 speed, 2017 Ribble 525 2 x 10 with Ergos

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 18 Posts
Changing your forks will be messy. Wheels, on the other hand, are (well, were in 2008) meant to be interchangeable.

I solved my harsh-riding issue by selling the economy factory wheels and building a set with low profile rims and butted spokes. Even with the same 25 mm Continental Grand Prix tires the ride improvement was quite marked and exactly what I wanted. Rims are Mavic Open Pro-C and spokes are Sapim Laser. Net cost was about $CDN350 with rims and spokes from my LBS.

oldschoolbike
Old 01-23-24, 06:40 PM
oldschoolbike

Bikes: 1974 PX-10E sold, 1977 Witcomb stolen, 1980 Roberts 1 speed, 1987 Cyclops 3 x 6 friction triple crank, 2010 Masi Commuter 1 speed, 2017 Ribble 525 2 x 10 with Ergos

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 18 Posts
Tubulars ride wonderfully compared to clinchers. I think it may be due to the circular vs U-shaped cross-section preventing the sidewalls from transmitting vertical shocks to the rim, but it may just be that they are typically very lightly built and have little or no sidewall coating. Too fragile for me though, since I quit racing.

Using a tubular on the front and a clincher on the back would be a real bother. Imagine carrying a tube AND a tire, and that's with no back up!

oldschoolbike