Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Big Clydes --- what saddle do you use?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-15, 08:22 AM
DerBiermeister

Bikes: Trek Shift 3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

In my way of thinking - the bigger the butt, the bigger you want the saddle. I know this is counter to what some (many?) will say.

Anyway -- I have this one.
Bontrager Cruiser Saddle - Fitness & Recreation - Saddles - Components -Trek Store

When I first start out, it is a bit uncomfortable, but after a couple of minutes it feels fine. As saddles can get up into the hundreds of dollars, I don't have the luxury of trying out many of them.
Old 05-26-15, 08:28 AM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by DerBiermeister
In my way of thinking - the bigger the butt, the bigger you want the saddle. I know this is counter to what some (many?) will say.
I will certainly counter this. The important measurement is the distance between the sitz bones. This doesn't change as you gain or loose weight.

The saddle choice you show is certainly OK for a "comfort" bike like the Trek Shift, but it would be uncomfortable to ride on if you had a hybrid or road bike, in my opinion.

Last edited by dr_lha; 05-26-15 at 11:04 AM.
Old 05-26-15, 08:43 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Originally Posted by dr_lha
I will certainly counter this. The important measurement is the distance between the sit bones. This doesn't change as you gain or loose weight.

The saddle choice you show is certainly OK for a "comfort" bike like the Trek Shift, but it would be uncomfortable to ride on if you had a hybrid or road bike, in my opinion.
+1, I lost 50 pounds (then gained about 20 back - am trying to lose it again and 10 more) and my saddle need hasn't changed.

Old 05-26-15, 08:57 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
I started racing as a teenager when I weighed 190 lbs, then got up around 290 in my mid 20s. I have more recently stabilized around 240 lbs. I developed a preference for a particular shape of saddle in my late teens/early 20s, and that has not changed through all my weight changes. As mentioned above, the weight is borne by the bones beneath your pelvis, and the dimensions of these bones does not vary greatly in adulthood.

Different saddle shapes are better suited to different riding positions, and everyone has a differently shaped arse and different preferences, but in general, a more upright riding position (as found on 'comfort bikes') are better suited to wider and more padded saddles like the one you linked, while a more stretched out position that many recreational cyclists prefer are better suited to a narrower saddle that supports weight on the sitz bones and stays out of the way of the legs. Most cyclists also prefer firmer as opposed to thicker and softer padding, especially for longer rides. The softer the saddle the harder it is to keep it from putting pressure on body parts that aren't the sitz bones.
Old 05-26-15, 11:02 AM
decotriumph 

Bikes: 2022 Trek Marlin 7, 2016 Trek FX 7.4, 1987 Schwinn Circuit, 1955 Indian Scout (Phillips)

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 15 Posts
In my experience, bike saddles (and motorcycle seats, sofas and recliners) that feel soft and cushy in the store when you squeeze them with your hands, will NOT feel good for the long haul under your arse as they are not supportive. I'd suggest you go to a bike shop that has one of the sitz bone indicator benches. You sit on it and the colored impressions can be measured to see what saddle will fit you best. I did that at Trek Store of Chattanooga and the saddle they recommended for my Trek Domane was very comfortable and definitely NOT one I would have expected to be.

Old 05-26-15, 11:09 AM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 912 Times in 275 Posts
how long are you planning to ride your bike at any given moment?

Do you were padded shorts/bibs?
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 05-26-15, 12:35 PM
bassjones

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9-4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Specialized Avatar 155, Aerotech bibs.
Old 05-26-15, 01:02 PM
HauntedMyst
Spandex free since 1963!

Bikes: Cannondale Road Warrior 900, Surly Big Dummy, Electra Townie

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have Brooks on all my bikes. They work well for big boys.
Old 05-26-15, 02:14 PM
DerBiermeister

Bikes: Trek Shift 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good stuff

Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
I started racing as a teenager when I weighed 190 lbs, then got up around 290 in my mid 20s. I have more recently stabilized around 240 lbs. I developed a preference for a particular shape of saddle in my late teens/early 20s, and that has not changed through all my weight changes. As mentioned above, the weight is borne by the bones beneath your pelvis, and the dimensions of these bones does not vary greatly in adulthood.

Different saddle shapes are better suited to different riding positions, and everyone has a differently shaped arse and different preferences, but in general, a more upright riding position (as found on 'comfort bikes') are better suited to wider and more padded saddles like the one you linked, while a more stretched out position that many recreational cyclists prefer are better suited to a narrower saddle that supports weight on the sitz bones and stays out of the way of the legs. Most cyclists also prefer firmer as opposed to thicker and softer padding, especially for longer rides. The softer the saddle the harder it is to keep it from putting pressure on body parts that aren't the sitz bones.
and this one too!

Originally Posted by decotriumph
In my experience, bike saddles (and motorcycle seats, sofas and recliners) that feel soft and cushy in the store when you squeeze them with your hands, will NOT feel good for the long haul under your arse as they are not supportive. I'd suggest you go to a bike shop that has one of the sitz bone indicator benches. You sit on it and the colored impressions can be measured to see what saddle will fit you best. I did that at Trek Store of Chattanooga and the saddle they recommended for my Trek Domane was very comfortable and definitely NOT one I would have expected to be.
Old 05-26-15, 04:30 PM
Judi

Bikes: Electra Townie 7D

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've lost 165lbs and still need a fairly wide, squishy saddle, even for longer rides. This is what I have: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...f_rd_i=desktop My daughter wanted a saddle like that but then she decided it slowed her down and she went back to a skinny little Selle Italia saddle, which is comfortable for me for about a mile, then it starts feeling like it's lodged between my bones.
Old 05-26-15, 07:17 PM
bassjones

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9-4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Judi
I've lost 165lbs and still need a fairly wide, squishy saddle, even for longer rides. This is what I have: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...f_rd_i=desktop My daughter wanted a saddle like that but then she decided it slowed her down and she went back to a skinny little Selle Italia saddle, which is comfortable for me for about a mile, then it starts feeling like it's lodged between my bones.
If you ever switch to a road bike, you'll want to get fitted for a saddle. You probably need fairly wide, but you won't want squishy. Once you start getting 25 MPH rides in regular, that soft saddle is going to cause problems. Probably ideal for the Townie though.
Old 05-26-15, 08:01 PM
jeneralist 

Bikes: DOST Kope CVT e-bike; Bilenky Ti Tourlite

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 23 Posts
Wide sit bones, plus touring -- I like the support (some would say "stiffness") of a Brooks, but the B17 just is too narrow. I ride the B68, which sadly has been discontinued.
Old 05-26-15, 09:06 PM
Judi

Bikes: Electra Townie 7D

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bassjones
If you ever switch to a road bike, you'll want to get fitted for a saddle. You probably need fairly wide, but you won't want squishy. Once you start getting 25 MPH rides in regular, that soft saddle is going to cause problems. Probably ideal for the Townie though.
I ride about that far on the trails once a week on the Townie, and 6 miles a day the rest of the week...no problems with the saddle on the longer rides. I doubt I'll ever get a road bike, no matter how much more weight I lose, they're just not my thing.
Old 05-27-15, 05:16 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Brooks B17 for me. I tried the C17 Cambium but found it to be a little narrower and less comfortable than the B17. So now my son rides it.
Old 05-28-15, 12:22 PM
Backstom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think I found the one. It is the Selle SMP TRK 280 x 160 mm.
I also took out the stem extension that lower the hand bar and I don't have a tail bone pain anymore.
I am able now to ride my 13 miles a day without pain or numbness.
Old 05-28-15, 12:28 PM
dagray

Bikes: Orbea Orca,Raleigh Talus 29er, Centurion Le Mans 12 speed

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
Selle Italia "Flite" with the cutout in the center of the seat. I am right around 360 pounds with a 47 inch waist and 6 foot three inches tall. Expensive saddle? yes. Worth every penny? yes.

I ride in bib shorts or a tri-suit, and just pulled 31.6 miles with very few stops for rest and stretching on Sunday of last week; saddle worked as advertised.

The key is you have to learn to ride light (this will save wheels and other components), and realize the saddle on a bike isn't to be sat on like one would sit on a chair as you have to be the suspension for the bike.
Old 05-28-15, 03:18 PM
TK LP

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 10 Posts
another Brooks B17 rider
Old 05-28-15, 07:01 PM
redvespablur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Selle Italia Turbomatic Flow - perfect for me YMMV
Old 05-28-15, 07:42 PM
Louder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 6'6" and currently 315 pounds. I have two bikes, both with Brooks B17 saddles. One is the standard, the other is the Imperial. Love them. I use them in combination with Aerotech padded shorts.
Old 05-28-15, 08:21 PM
TGT1

Bikes: 80's Schwinn High Plains, Motobecane Ti Cyclocross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
B-17 Imperial
Old 05-29-15, 11:56 AM
dipy911

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
B-17 as well.
Old 06-01-15, 09:29 AM
editorque
friction shifter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
WTB Pure V—I am 230 and never think about my saddle. It's that comfortable. Plus it's very affordable.
Old 06-01-15, 10:04 AM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
67 mile ride yesterday on my saddle, didn't think about it once. Best $14 I ever spent that.

This one if anyone cares:

https://www.amazon.com/4ZA-Stratos-Li...ds=4za+stratos

Although they're now charging $34 for the model I paid $14 for. Don't you just love Amazon's pricing?
Old 06-01-15, 03:04 PM
Sullalto

Bikes: Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Another member of the brooks brigade here.

though the more I lower my stem and get less upright the more I wonder if something else might be better.
Old 06-01-15, 05:11 PM
DWhitworth

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
What are you B17 guys doing to protect it from water? I really want one, but seem to get caught in the rain 2-3-4 times a year and the bike also gets wet when hauling it on the back of the truck. A plastic bag is the answer to the latter, but how sensitive is it otherwise?

Thanks,

DaveW

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.