Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What is it like to own a high end italian, such as a Dogma F8 or Colnago C60 ?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-15, 08:39 AM
4151zero

Bikes: F8, Evil, Litespeed and a Canyon ULT CF too

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Just curious to know, since I'll probably never have the opportunity.

BUT, If I ever obtain the funds one day, would it be worth it to own such beauties, or is the hype just that...

My LBS says they are of course two different personalities, with the F8 being more 'race' oriented.

I found the C60 to have beautiful lines and the carbon frame lugs are a work of art.

Neither would make me any faster OR slower... especially at the local starbux
Old 09-24-15, 08:41 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
You are very fast due to your pockets being so light.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 09-24-15, 08:47 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
If you ever obtain the funds one day, you'll likely find that you have higher priorities for the funds, at least until you reach your 50+ years and start thinking "Screw the kids, what about me?"

Old 09-24-15, 09:22 AM
greenlight149

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The frame is just over 6k for the f8, I don't think it's such a wild dream to own one, were not talking about buying a yacht.
Old 09-24-15, 09:32 AM
dksix

Bikes: Basso Luguna, Fuji Nevada

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4261 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
If you ever obtain the funds one day, you'll likely find that you have higher priorities for the funds, at least until you reach your 50+ years and start thinking "Screw the kids, what about me?"

Dad, is that you?
Old 09-24-15, 09:45 AM
milkbaby
blah blah blah

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I believe the Dogma is actually fabricated in Taiwan with just the finishing done in Italy.

Go test ride a high zoot bicycle. I own one, it's my favorite ride in my bike stable, but to be honest I could get along just fine if I only had a low end aluminum road bike. The ride differences are a matter of degrees and often subtle.
Old 09-24-15, 09:47 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts

That's where I am. Just restored a barn find '77 Colnago Super that had been stored for 35yrs. No way I could have afforded this in younger days but now.....and let me say how fantastic it rides. It's my high-value, showing off bike. Great for casual and recovery rides.
Old 09-24-15, 09:48 AM
DBrown9383

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't own one but I would imagine it would be stressful. You would never want the bike to be out of your site and any scratch or ding would be very upsetting
Old 09-24-15, 09:54 AM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts

Yup. Just had our first kid and I feel guilty about the $1690 I spent to build my chinese bike. $1690 into the college fund compounded over 18 years could pay for a semester of school!
Old 09-24-15, 11:12 AM
SSRI

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
I just got a 20+ year old Master Olympic...stripping out the 8 speed D/A.
The 20+ year old Bottom bracket was a PIA.
Old 09-24-15, 12:08 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Originally Posted by rms13
Yup. Just had our first kid and I feel guilty about the $1690 I spent to build my chinese bike. $1690 into the college fund compounded over 18 years could pay for a semester of school!
Not likely, the way tuition is skyrocketing.

Might as well be in good health when it comes time to pay that bill. Enjoy your bike!
Old 09-24-15, 12:10 PM
softreset

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by DBrown9383
I don't own one but I would imagine it would be stressful. You would never want the bike to be out of your site and any scratch or ding would be very upsetting
Some of it depends on your level of disposal income. We sold an F8, SR EPS bike a few months back to an individual who paid in cash. He wanted another bike to keep the wear down on his SLR 10. We later discovered that he had just inked a 25 million dollar book deal which was his second one in the last 10 years. So for him (and he's super cool whenever he comes in the shop) the $15,000 price points on these bikes are irrelevant.

When I saw my first scratch on my BMC GF01, I just about had a heart attack. I got over it, though, after another dozen showed up with an impromptu gravel ride.
Old 09-24-15, 12:14 PM
rmfnla

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by rms13
Now you know why animals eat their young...
Old 09-24-15, 12:14 PM
4151zero

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
A-ha! I'm only a few years SHY of 50plus, and have a kid inbound. Now what do you say, buy now because after the newborn arrival, all funds will be directed away ??

I've owned a few exotic motorcycle$ in my lifetime, but gave those up years ago when my mortgage outweighed my Life insurance payout . Also gave up sports cars recently and started shopping for strollers and the coolest mini van I can find.

Old 09-24-15, 12:16 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
I own a C59 (PR99 color scheme) and just placed an order for a C60 (2016 MHWH color scheme). Does the C59 make me a faster rider? Nah, only a motor hidden in the seat tube could do that. I get regularly passed by guys riding "lesser" bikes. Does it make me a better rider? Only slightly so.

But oh boy, does it ever make me smile when I ride it? The SPM (Smiles per Miles) factor is very high with a bike like the C59. And when I am not riding it, I love to just stare at it.

To me, however, ALL bikes are beautiful. I had an old Schwinn LeTour and I thought that was the best bike in the entire Universe...it was my bike and I rode it. So if you love your bike and you ride it, and it makes you happy to ride it, then THAT bike is THE best bike in the world.

The only downside to owning a high end bike like the C59 or the C60 is all the haters out there. The people who love to find fault with the bike and with your buying decision.

I have heard all the comments: it is too heavy, it is overpriced, it is not the fastest...blah...blah...blah.

I just ignore them and keep on riding and keep on smiling.

Keep buying those lottery tickets and maybe one day you will know.

The important thing is to ride and to have fun while riding. the rest is just icing on the cake.

Peace out.
Old 09-24-15, 12:21 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 4,621 Times in 2,124 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia

The only downside to owning a high end bike like the C59 or the C60 is all the haters out there. The people who love to find fault with the bike and with your buying decision.

I have heard all the comments: it is too heavy, it is overpriced, it is not the fastest...blah...blah...blah.

I just ignore them and keep on riding and keep on smiling.
Never apologize for owning nice things if you can afford it. You earned it.

Old 09-24-15, 12:21 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Originally Posted by 4151zero
A-ha! I'm only a few years SHY of 50plus, and have a kid inbound. Now what do you say, buy now because after the newborn arrival, all funds will be directed away ??

I've owned a few exotic motorcycle$ in my lifetime, but gave those up years ago when my mortgage outweighed my Life insurance payout . Also gave up sports cars recently and started shopping for strollers and the coolest mini van I can find.
You're going to be 70 and dealing with college tuition payments.

I'm just shy of 50 also but my first will hit college in 2 years, at which point I'll probably have to cancel my internet service. Nice knowing you all. I have a very old GSXR1100 sitting in the garage that I just can't bring myself to part with. I haven't even turned it on in years, it's probably rusted into a solid hunk of metal by now. Just can't do it.
Old 09-24-15, 12:22 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 120 Posts
I had an opportunity to use the Pinnalized/Specerello Team Shy replica that Captain Fast was trying to sell me (it was an obsolete '13 model) for several days this Spring.
Without a doubt it did everything "just that much" better than any bike that I have ever raced or ridden, a joy to ride.

Did I buy it? No, the CF Merckx will have to do but .........

-Bandera
Old 09-24-15, 12:27 PM
redfooj
pluralis majestatis

Bikes: a DuhRosa

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
it still wont go unless you stomp on the pedals
Old 09-24-15, 12:45 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,582 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
Never apologize for owning nice things if you can afford it. You earned it.
+1. Back in '93 I got hit by a car and needed to replace my Bianchi in a hurry. I ended up buying a Guerciotti fame (Columbus TSX) with a smoked yellow paint scheme, chrome front lugs and a chrome fork. I had it built up with Shimano 600 STI (I am really dating myself) and hand-built Mavic rims. I was less than 2 years out of professional school. I think it was the single most extensive thing I had ever bought. The mechanic who was putting the finishing touches on the bike in the rear of the shop while I was up front later told me some dude asked "Does he deserve that bike?" I wish I had heard him ask that. I would have given him a piece of my mind. I am paying for it, so I deserve it.
Old 09-24-15, 12:46 PM
MCODave
A treat for the freaks!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by greenlight149
The frame is just over 6k for the f8, I don't think it's such a wild dream to own one, were not talking about buying a yacht.
I agree. Do you know people who are into cars, motorcycles, boats, camera equipment, etc., etc.? Compare the price of even these high-end status bikes to most other hobbies and it's pretty cheap.
Old 09-24-15, 01:02 PM
4151zero

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Yes, I'm well aware of college tuitions in my retirement years (not that it will actually be called retirement, anymore)....

Also, if the GSXR is pre-water cooled pre fuel injection.., it should be just fine.. pour some marvels in the head and keep the tank clear and clean of rust.

My dilemma is that I can get a 'demo' f8 for around $6k with DA 9000 mechanical, or suffer the consequences of passing on it with the dream of a c60 for 4k more than that.

You're going to be 70 and dealing with college tuition payments.

I'm just shy of 50 also but my first will hit college in 2 years, at which point I'll probably have to cancel my internet service. Nice knowing you all. I have a very old GSXR1100 sitting in the garage that I just can't bring myself to part with. I haven't even turned it on in years, it's probably rusted into a solid hunk of metal by now. Just can't do it.
Old 09-24-15, 01:19 PM
SSRI

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts

Bugaboo!!
Old 09-24-15, 01:20 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Yes, I'm well aware of college tuitions in my retirement years (not that it will actually be called retirement, anymore)....

Also, if the GSXR is pre-water cooled pre fuel injection.., it should be just fine.. pour some marvels in the head and keep the tank clear and clean of rust.

My dilemma is that I can get a 'demo' f8 for around $6k with DA 9000 mechanical, or suffer the consequences of passing on it with the dream of a c60 for 4k more than that.
It's old... either an 85 or 86, but they were identical at any rate.

I tend to parts shop for the reasons you list above. I'll look for a bare frame that i want and then move stuff over. It's not really cheaper but when you spend a grand here and a grand there and it's not all in the same year, it feels cheaper.
Old 09-24-15, 02:13 PM
adrien

Bikes: Firefly custom Road, Ira Ryan custom road bike, Ira Ryan custom fixed gear

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting read.

I rode a Dogma as a rental in France last summer. Great bike -- sharp as hell, kinda mean feeling, and wicked fast. I don't want one, but I do get it.

A friend has a c59. Lovely looking machine, and we would have traded long ago for a comparison, but he rides a 48 and I ride a 59.

I am partial to handmade / custom bikes (another discussion) and recently got one that is much more "known" than my other bikes. I just got a Firefly, in addition to an Ira Ryan. Both are fantastic, but the FF is more blingy, and has a much bigger reputation. People know what they cost, and what their reputation is.

I've generally found cyclists to be enthusiastic and friendly about it. Really no haters at all. Just folks knowing bikes must be important to me given the investment, and wanting to know more about it, the process, the finish, etc. It's all good, as they say.

As for owning it? I was very upset about a scratch and then realized it meant I was riding it. Other than that? Mostly it's very cool, and feels very special and different.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.