Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike Radar

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-23, 02:46 PM
Jklotz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 23 Posts
Bike Radar

I bought one of those Bryton radars, rode 2 rides with it over the weekend. It doesn't replace actually looking, but for left hand turns, man is it a nice thing to have! Hard to believe all those miles I have ridden over the years without one, and no lights. How did I survive? Anyway, I'm a believer now. Wish I had gotten one sooner.

As a side note, I've got to figure out how to turn off the audible beeping on my Wahoo Roam. I love it for solo rides, but in a group ride, I think it's going to drive people nuts.
Likes For Jklotz:
Old 09-04-23, 04:51 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
did you download the app? There's a setting in the app for sound notification.
Old 09-04-23, 06:03 PM
Jklotz

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
did you download the app? There's a setting in the app for sound notification.
Yes, I did. Just haven't had time to play with it yet.
Old 09-04-23, 06:11 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,646 Times in 2,924 Posts
For out of the city rides, radar is a total game changer. I use a different brand and it is super.

There are a number for very winding fast downhills here. Besides knowing when to take or surrender the lane on the flats, on fast downhills where you can’t look back, radar tells you what’s happening. If you don’t do fast down hills (35-40+) then at least it tells you when you can ride out of the ruts and broken pavement down the center of the lane.

Last edited by rsbob; 09-04-23 at 09:13 PM.
Likes For rsbob:
Old 09-04-23, 06:27 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
For out of the city rides, radar is a total game changer. I use a different brand and it is super.
At first, I was reserved with how the tech would be beneficial during the rides. After some city & out in the boonies rides, it's a highly recommended thing to have if the area has a high volume of aimless drivers let alone aggressive/entitled drivers.
I picked it up for the rear tail light function, but was willing to give the radar a go. Glad I did.
Old 09-04-23, 07:19 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3148 Post(s)
Liked 1,713 Times in 1,034 Posts
Originally Posted by Jklotz
As a side note, I've got to figure out how to turn off the audible beeping on my Wahoo Roam. I love it for solo rides, but in a group ride, I think it's going to drive people nuts.
If you hit the Settings button and the left side of the Roam, and scroll down to Radar, and select “More,” and then “Mute” to toggle audible alerts on/off.

The beeping is really annoying is some settings, like when a group is sitting around waiting, or even just when you’re in town or other high traffic area. Part of the benefit of radar for me is the audible for when I’m not paying attention to the screen, but when I don’t need it, I don’t want the alarm, and i wish there was a faster way to mute it, or even better, geofencing an “audible alert off” area would be really ideal, so it only starts alerting once I’m outside of town.
Old 09-05-23, 04:41 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 305 Times in 217 Posts
I've been using the Garmin Varia one for several years now, I'm a big fan. As you mentioned, it does not replace my bar-end mirror or looking left when making a rea turn. It lets me ride a little further to the left (US-centric alert!) both when I'm on not so busy suburban roads, and most importantly, on country/wooded roads where the biggest danger is wildlife leaping or scurrying out into my path.

A few downsides: (1) if a car fails to pass and just follows at my speed for too long, the Garmin until stops alerting until it speeds up Since I'm still glancing in my mirror, I usually know its there, but sometimes get lulled into a fail sense of security; (2) useless in urban environments but I'd like to see an option to handle a common scenario, riding on a service road next to a high speed highway or other road. No traffic on the service road, but the wide angle of the radar alerts on the adjacent highway traffic. Would be nice to have some kind of temporary narrow alert angle.
Likes For jpescatore:
Old 09-05-23, 05:48 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
I ride with a Garmin Varia. It is amazing. I would rather ride without a helmet than forgo my radar.