Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Used bike recommendations

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-24, 07:31 PM
Ek053690

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm in the market for a used road bike. Although I'm not planning on riding competitively, I would like it to be as good as possible within the budget.

Here are my considerations:
  1. 2014 trek 5.2 madone: Shimano Ultegra groupset Shimano Duraace shifters Reynolds Carbon wheelset 650b wheels
  2. Cannondale synapse Around 2016 Shimano 105 groupset
  3. Trek 2017 emonda alr 5 Shimano 105 groupset
I believe the 5.2 madone is best but it also has 650b wheels. I am 5'7 so not sure the fit. Although I'm not looking to race it, I would like it to be as fast as possible.

Thank you for your feedback.

For reference, all three are being sold for approximately $500.
Old 01-21-24, 07:40 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
Do the bikes fit?
Are they in good shape?
Which bike felt the best?
Are you sure about the specs? (650b on a road bike isn't common especially on a 2014 road bike)

What we say really won't matter because we know nothing about the bikes beyond the minimal info posted here. It is possible someone replaced parts on the bike or maybe they haven't tuned it up in a while or taken care of the bike or something else. These are all older aluminum bikes so it is possible that $500 is a bit high but it could be right in your area assuming the bikes are in good condition.
Old 01-21-24, 07:51 PM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 191 Posts
What size frame? It might be 650c wheels (not 650b), to help prevent toe overlap in smaller frame sizes - think 50cm and smaller.

If they turn out to be 650c wheels, I'd pass and look for a bike with 700c wheels. If you're 5'7, you don't need a 50cm or smaller frame, you're probably more like 52-54.

Nothing wrong with 650c, but it's harder to source tires and tubes in this size, and they ain't cheap.
Old 01-21-24, 07:53 PM
Ek053690

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't tried them, I'm going from online advertisements. They are appear to be in good condition. The madone is 650b, I asked the owner to measure them for me. Actually the emonda is selling for $400.

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Do the bikes fit?
Are they in good shape?
Which bike felt the best?
Are you sure about the specs? (650b on a road bike isn't common especially on a 2014 road bike)

What we say really won't matter because we know nothing about the bikes beyond the minimal info posted here. It is possible someone replaced parts on the bike or maybe they haven't tuned it up in a while or taken care of the bike or something else. These are all older aluminum bikes so it is possible that $500 is a bit high but it could be right in your area assuming the bikes are in good condition.
Old 01-21-24, 07:59 PM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 772 Times in 404 Posts
The ALR 5 is a great bike - but the stock wheels suck.

Heavy, slow and crappy hubs. I kept smoking my rear hub/freehub. Decent set of CF wheels and it’s a completely different machine.
Old 01-22-24, 08:59 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
The Trek Emonda will probably have the most aggressive position than the other two bikes. However it's a great bike. And pretty light too, which will make any hills you do seem much less of a effort to climb.

So consider what fit you want. While many times a less aero or less aggressive fit is described as "relaxed", that doesn't really mean that you'll be more comfortable on a more relaxed fit bike any more than you will be on a race fit or aggressive fit bike.

The only real way to know is to ride them all for hundreds of miles and for several hours at a time. Since obviously you can't do that, you'll just have to pick your best guess and try it out. Then use that information you learn about how you like it to help you with your next bike purchase somewhere in the future.
Old 01-22-24, 01:45 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
since these are all carbon or aluminum bikes, I suggest you pay for a pre-purchase inspection against the possibility that you're buying a cracked frame with no warranty.

And pay for new tires, new chain, and new cables + full tune up.

all in the interest of your riding pleasure

/markp
Old 01-22-24, 06:42 PM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 140 Posts
Actually, the Emonda ALR 5 is different than the higher end carbon versions as it has Trek's H2 fit, which is their more relaxed geometry.
Old 01-22-24, 06:59 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2495 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
I would not buy a used racebike with a $500 budget. That is asking for trouble. This bike new was $550. Who needs more? It will smoke the rider of a Madone if the rider is up to it. Fast is in the rider. Does that need to be said? Used carbon racebikes are not like other things you can find used. People get rid of them because they did something dumb with it. Don't the threads from the people that discover cracked forks and/or top tubes make you want the security of a new bike?
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 01-22-24, 07:19 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
Originally Posted by Ek053690
I haven't tried them, I'm going from online advertisements. They are appear to be in good condition. The madone is 650b, I asked the owner to measure them for me. Actually the emonda is selling for $400.
Then I would probably skip all of them. Advertisements online tell you very little or may tell you more but you have to then trust that the person who wrote them is honest. If you haven't even looked at them in real life unless they have fantastic photos and you know they will fit and you trust the seller has given you 100% correct and true information and also given you all the information they can give you, I would skip them.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 01-23-24, 07:33 AM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 259 Posts
Used bikes are best purchased by someone who is capable of evaluating them and doing maintenance their selves. I've bought 12 used bikes in the last 4 years, but I didn't get burned when I was ignorant of such things because I only purchased $100-$200 used bikes until I educated myself on how to evaluate a bike.
Likes For RH Clark: