Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Buying a bike repair stand question(s)

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-24, 12:19 PM
mams99

Bikes: Pedego Stretch 2016 (electric cargo bike for around town and grocery shopping, Small surly Ogre (2015), Bianchi Advantage (46cm) 1993, Bike Friday NWT, 2005

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 24 Posts

Up until now, I have not had a bike repair stand. I just take my bike in for regular maintenance (which I will still do), but I've wished for a bike repair stand for awhile so I can more easily change tires or even line up a tire more easily.

Right now (and for the foreseeable future), if we want to ride our bikes, we need to haul them in in old Honda Fit. We can fit 2-3 bikes in the car if we take off the front wheel. The problem with this is getting the front wheel all centered up properly every time we do this. Maybe having a bike repair stand I can throw in the car will make that easier to center? (or is that silly?)

I figure I would also use this repair stand for cleaning the chain. It has to be easier than trying to do it while the bike is on the ground. I'm also thinking of getting the super heavy duty one because I have an electric cargo bike. The Pro Mechanic HD by FeedbackSports is the one I'm thinking of getting.

As you can figure out - I'm mostly an end user bike rider. I know how too change a tire, but that's about it.
Old 03-09-24, 12:39 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by mams99
... The problem with this is getting the front wheel all centered up properly every time we do this.....
I don't understand your problem. Is this a quick release front wheel? Just get the axle all the way into the drop out. There is no need to play around with anything. Put the wheel on the ground and put the fork over the wheel axle and gravity will center the axle in the drop outs.
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 03-09-24, 12:44 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
That stand is rated for 70lbs max just keep that in mind. The electric moped looks like it could be quite a bit heavier (though removing the battery might help get it in the 70lbs range) and you will need to lift it by hand the Prepstand E-Up Pro from Topeak helps lift the bike up a little, it is not perfect but it makes it way easier than lifting by hand. It is going to be a bit more expensive but having used it, it is worth it.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 03-09-24, 12:46 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
for learning about maintenance here is a great site https://www.parktool.com/en-us/blog/...saAuJQEALw_wcB

for books

https://www.amazon.com/Zinn-Art-Road...zcF9hdGY&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-Blu...s%2C153&sr=8-3

on repair stands, I recommend spending some money, I got a park brand a while back and it has been the single best bike repair purchase I have made. it is similar to below Edit: noted e cargo bike...as noted make sure you get a stand that can handle that weight

https://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-Uni...1zcF9hdGY&th=1

other people are sure to pop up with some lower priced options

Last edited by squirtdad; 03-09-24 at 01:02 PM.
Likes For squirtdad:
Old 03-09-24, 01:03 PM
mams99

Bikes: Pedego Stretch 2016 (electric cargo bike for around town and grocery shopping, Small surly Ogre (2015), Bianchi Advantage (46cm) 1993, Bike Friday NWT, 2005

Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
I don't understand your problem. Is this a quick release front wheel? Just get the axle all the way into the drop out. There is no need to play around with anything. Put the wheel on the ground and put the fork over the wheel axle and gravity will center the axle in the drop outs.
Last year my son's disc bike started rubbing. And the old bike I was using was also really fiddly to get it to drop out properly. That bike is now on the trainer and a non issue, but it was not simple. Plus, I always felt like the tire was going to fall out by how lose we had to keep it. It never did, but it was super fiddly.
Old 03-09-24, 01:05 PM
mams99

Originally Posted by veganbikes
That stand is rated for 70lbs max just keep that in mind. The electric moped looks like it could be quite a bit heavier (though removing the battery might help get it in the 70lbs range) and you will need to lift it by hand the Prepstand E-Up Pro from Topeak helps lift the bike up a little, it is not perfect but it makes it way easier than lifting by hand. It is going to be a bit more expensive but having used it, it is worth it.
The stand I'm looking at is considered the best repair stand it will take up to 100lbs. (According to a couple of sites)
Old 03-09-24, 01:06 PM
Pratt

Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
I'm with Squirtdad on this. In fact I posted what turned into a whole thread on this about how dumb I had been for decades, yes probably your whole life! in not getting one.
On the practical side, if maintenance is easier, maybe it will become more frequent, "Fixing deferred is fixing denied" as they say
Likes For Pratt:
Old 03-09-24, 01:07 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
I have a big $ Feedback pro elite and a cheap ALDI one . Is the Feedback better? Without a doubt. But the cheap one is more than adequate for regular maintenance tasks
Old 03-09-24, 01:07 PM
mams99

Originally Posted by squirtdad
for learning about maintenance here is a great site https://www.parktool.com/en-us/blog/...saAuJQEALw_wcB

for books

https://www.amazon.com/Zinn-Art-Road...zcF9hdGY&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-Blu...s%2C153&sr=8-3

on repair stands, I recommend spending some money, I got a park brand a while back and it has been the single best bike repair purchase I have made. it is similar to below Edit: noted e cargo bike...as noted make sure you get a stand that can handle that weight

https://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-Uni...1zcF9hdGY&th=1

other people are sure to pop up with some lower priced options
I keep seeing these HUGE books at REI. I guess I should get one and start learning. I'm just a bit intimidated!
Old 03-09-24, 01:35 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
If you're near a bike co-op, you can probably get hands-on guidance there. I read books on maintenance when I started out, but a guy at the U Michigan bike co-op actually showed me how to rebuild a hub, for example.
Likes For philbob57:
Old 03-09-24, 01:49 PM
mams99

Originally Posted by philbob57
If you're near a bike co-op, you can probably get hands-on guidance there. I read books on maintenance when I started out, but a guy at the U Michigan bike co-op actually showed me how to rebuild a hub, for example.
There are a couple co-ops near me, but not so close that it won't take some planning. I think a book WITH some hands on help would be best, but for now I probably have to settle for a book.
Old 03-09-24, 01:52 PM
mams99

This one has a new edition coming out in June, but I wonder how much different it could be for someone with an older bike? Though, the one is a 2006 I think...

Also wondering if a Kindle version would be more or less practical?
Old 03-09-24, 03:02 PM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 191 Posts
Love the idea of a workstand. Have you thought about taking a basic maintenance class?

Sometimes there's no substitute for having someone knowledgeable demonstrate a task in person, and you being able to replicate that task on the spot.

Nothing against internet videos, but there are nuances in personal interactions you just don't get in videos.
Old 03-09-24, 03:08 PM
WaveyGravey

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by philbob57
How do you go about finding a local bicycle co-op? Thanks
Old 03-09-24, 03:29 PM
mams99

Originally Posted by WaveyGravey
How do you go about finding a local bicycle co-op? Thanks
I literally typed in a search online, "coop bicycle shops near me". I haven't been to them, but I found their sites and locations and all info about them. I live in the DC/Bmore area and I found some... and I know some shops have classes too while not technically being a co-op.
Old 03-09-24, 03:40 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
The stand I'm looking at is considered the best repair stand it will take up to 100lbs. (According to a couple of sites)
Maybe the best portable stand.

I think it will do everything you want it to do, and then some. It’s pretty nice.
Old 03-09-24, 03:52 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
I literally typed in a search online, "coop bicycle shops near me". I haven't been to them, but I found their sites and locations and all info about them. I live in the DC/Bmore area and I found some... and I know some shops have classes too while not technically being a co-op.
Don't know how up to date this is.
https://www.bikecollectives.org/wiki..._Organizations

https://www.thebikehouse.org/

https://gearinupbicycles.org/

https://velocitycoop.org/

Velocipede Bike Project
Old 03-09-24, 04:04 PM
mams99

Right, that is for my area (which is pretty plentiful), but for anyone else looking, doing a search with a search engine should give you websites to look up.
Old 03-09-24, 04:37 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
Last year my son's disc bike started rubbing. And the old bike I was using was also really fiddly to get it to drop out properly. That bike is now on the trainer and a non issue, but it was not simple. Plus, I always felt like the tire was going to fall out by how lose we had to keep it. It never did, but it was super fiddly.
It should never be the case that the quick release tightness is used to compensate for disc rubbing. And the quick release should never be loose in any way. Are you talking about the brake disc rubbing? Where was the rubbing occurring?
Old 03-09-24, 04:39 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 275 Posts
This stand is actually rated at 120 lbs
Old 03-09-24, 06:34 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick
Sure, but it's got to be bolted to the floor.
Old 03-09-24, 06:54 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2495 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
I have like the next up from the most basic of Park Tool repair stands. My DW was stuck for a Christmas present for me and it must have slipped her mind that I already had a good repair stand. She got this stand for me. She is a good shopper. Does research. Reads reviews. The proof though, when I put this thing side by side with my big blue tried and true, there isn't much not to like. Since four of my bikes are tandems and I've never found a good way to get a standard repair stand to hold a tandem, I plan to use both of them, one at each end! As for the o.p., I think I've found them a bike stand. FWIW
Old 03-09-24, 07:13 PM
ScottCommutes

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 175 Posts
There are tons of bike repair tasks where a repair stand is handy, but putting a wheel on is something you can do on the side of the road pretty easily using gravity. A stand does make chain cleaning a little easier, but not all that much.

I have a cheap-o under $100 bike stand. It works. It folds up. It holds my bike. While it does go to standing height, I am lazy and often work sitting on the floor with my tires only an inch off the ground. Makes it easier to grab tools and parts as well. My bike is not a cargo bike or an e-bike, however.

If I was you, I would have a hard time stomaching the price of the stand you mentioned. You would have to use that stand a lot of times to justify the purchase price. However, that's what they say about e-bikes - everything is more expensive.
Old 03-09-24, 07:33 PM
Rick

Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 275 Posts
Koyote Posted: Sure, but it's got to be bolted to the floor.
Mine is bolted to a base plate. My old park double is bolted to a tractor trailer brake drum.
Old 03-09-24, 08:42 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
I have a Feedback Ultralight which is not something I’d recommend. I’ve had it for about 10 years and use it constantly. I have built a few bikes on it, as well as maintenance. It has been a great stand for me.

My Ultralight was originally sold as a 75lb stand. It is currently advertised as “optimized” for 35lbs or less, with a max load of 75lbs. I have serious doubts on the 75lbs as I need to brace the stand with the bike wheels when torquing a BB to keep it from tipping.

I have serious concerns about an aluminum repair stand with that much weight. Not so much holding, but having it not tip. It all comes down to the leg length and mass. If the tripod does not form a large enough diameter, or heavy enough base, it might be a difficult balancing act at 60+lbs.

John

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.