Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Just signed up the the 115 Lake Okeechobee Ride, 9/4 8^0 Am I nuts????

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-10, 06:09 PM
bobthib
Legs; OK! Lungs; not!

Bikes: ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, ''11 Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

I guess there is still time to reconsider, but....

September 4 · 6:30am - 1:00pm
Location John Stretch Park

Most of the route is on the levees which are super smooth paved asphalt about 10 feet wide with no traffic allowed, what a relief to ride with no cars.

The path looks like this (click the link for an overview)

https://www.tlausser.com/LakeOkechobe...ee_2008_03.htm

Here are some other pix:

and this

and this

and this

and this

There are a couple of good climbs (for FLA) with a few bridges especially the one over the St Lucie canal, it comes at about 90 miles and hurts, take a look

and this in Moore Haven

We will drive and meet at John Stretch Park which a nice little park with bathrooms and a nice parking lot and is situated right on the levees edge, the park is about 5 miles west past South Bay on US27 on the north side of the road.

The ride will leave at 6.30am, we cannot leave any earlier as it will be pitch dark and there are no lights out there at all, it is about an hour and a half drive north of my home and about an hour drive from Palm Beach.

This is not an organized ride as there is no SAG. It is being set up by a local enthusiast who has done this ride the last 6 years.

It will be hot and humid (90 and 90) and then there is always the possiblity of a freak storm, but not so much early. I think it will be a real test!
Old 08-15-10, 06:54 PM
Kurt Erlenbach

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think that would be a great ride. The heat would be the main trouble. Starting at 6:30 makes sense, but that last 30 miles will be a killer.
Old 08-15-10, 07:08 PM
FL_MarkD

Bikes: Serotta Fierte IT

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have seen some other reports about people making that big loop. Sounds like a great ride, but not so sure about the time of year. I did 60 miles up here in the Pinellas County region this past Saturday (starting at 7:00am) and it was brutally hot (heat index near 100 by 11:00am). Good luck, find a good wheel to follow and keep hydrated.

Mark
Old 08-15-10, 07:28 PM
bobthib
Legs; OK! Lungs; not!

Bikes: ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, ''11 Cervelo P2

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
I do 40+ mi 3 times a week in this weather. I did my age (a metric - 62.5) last weekend in Orlando. It's going to be a test, but I'll keep an eye on the HR. If I can keep it in zone 3 or 4 I think i'll be fine. Lots of h2o and lots of wheel sucking. If we don't have at least 20 riders and at least 10 B level, I'll reconsider.

The event is on Facebook. So far of the 10 respondents, 7 have FB avatars that show them on their bike. That's hard core.
Old 08-15-10, 07:28 PM
Allegheny Jet

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think you will do fine. From your earlier post your riding group seems to be advanced and your abilities match theirs. I would suggest that you keep it in the little ring for the Moore Haven climb. I was not aware that Florida had that kind of climbing or scenic vistas.

If your jersey has three pockets then I would suggest putting an extra bottle of fluid in both the left and right pockets and filling the center pocket with a gel flask.
Old 08-15-10, 08:06 PM
bobthib
Legs; OK! Lungs; not!

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
I just did a little research n the weather for Sept 4th for the Lake Okeechobee area. Ave high is in the low 80's. It should be in the mid 70's at the start. The humidity will be 60 - 70% Wind avgs about 5 mph. Doesn't sound quite so bad.

There are 3 stops planned. I may carry 3 bottles but there will be hydration refills available at the stops.

I gotta get some more HEED. I think something a little more than H2O is in order. I made up some GU using Smucker's Natrual Peanut butter, molasses, honey, cinnimon, and Nutella. It's pretty good.

I just don't want to be the albatross.
Old 08-15-10, 08:14 PM
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
I think it would be great and I wouldn't mind doing it myself. I think it would be somewhat hot, but looking at the terrain you should get some wind to cool you off a little.
Old 08-15-10, 08:18 PM
bobthib
Legs; OK! Lungs; not!

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet
I think you will do fine. From your earlier post your riding group seems to be advanced and your abilities match theirs. I would suggest that you keep it in the little ring for the Moore Haven climb. I was not aware that Florida had that kind of climbing or scenic vistas.

If your jersey has three pockets then I would suggest putting an extra bottle of fluid in both the left and right pockets and filling the center pocket with a gel flask.
I'll plan on that. Have a look at this intimdating elevation profile.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31573
Old 08-15-10, 08:27 PM
Robert Foster
Banned.

Bikes: Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bobthib

There is more elevation gain from my driveway to my living room than that ride. It is about as nice as it gets for a century.
Old 08-15-10, 10:05 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet

That is harsh. You know the FL riders only have a big ring.
Old 08-15-10, 11:05 PM
Masperius

Bikes: TREK S720

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why on earth should you be nuts? Looks like a great ride although the heat and humidity look a bit harsh but you can do it.

Ride for Tyler...

P.S.
What do the letters and numbers on the roadway in your first photo mean?

Last edited by Masperius; 08-15-10 at 11:38 PM.
Old 08-16-10, 03:21 AM
kr32

Bikes: Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pancake City.

I would think it a good ride myself but for the sun all day, looks like zero shade anywhere.
Good luck and have fun.
Old 08-16-10, 06:38 AM
donheff

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
Are the levee roads open to bikes all the time or only for this occasion?
Old 08-16-10, 07:14 AM
wink

Bikes: EZ Sport AX- Specialized Expedition Plus eight others for wife and others that come down

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That looks like a good ride.We mite try that trail later in the year when it is cooler.We will be camping not to far from there in Jan.
Old 08-16-10, 09:07 AM
bobthib
Legs; OK! Lungs; not!

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by donheff
Are the levee roads open to bikes all the time or only for this occasion?
Don, they are open all the time. Google L.O.S.T.

Hermes, that's not harsh. THIS is harsh!

There is more elevation gain from my driveway to my living room than that ride.

Ride for Tyler...

P.S.
What do the letters and numbers on the roadway in your first photo mean?
Masperius, I will ride for Tyler! Great idea. As for the #s and letters, I'm not sure, but I imagine it is so they can survey the levee from the air after hurricanes and report any breeches. Google Lake Okeechobee hurricane. In 1928 a hurricane cause a massive flood killing over 2.000 people. After that they built the levees, and put the pathway to provide access. No motor vehicles are allowed except for emergency repairs.

That looks like a good ride.We mite try that trail later in the year when it is cooler.We will be camping not to far from there in Jan.
Wink, here's the rub, and being a FLA resident you can relate. As the weather cools, the winds pick up. You could be riding 50 mi into a head wind. I was supposed to do this last Jan but had to stay with my grandson in the hospital. The guys had a COLD NW headwind for the first 50 mi, and then it shifted to come from the east. It was brutal.

I think I'll take the heat and humidity.
Old 08-16-10, 09:17 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

Looks like someone had a heart attack and flat lined!
Old 08-16-10, 12:02 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Start hydrating the day before the ride- Drink before the ride- during the ride and after the ride. And if possible drink more often than that.

Same of Food. Take plenty and plan for an 8 hour ride. Then if you steam it- You have enough food to do another 20 miles afterwards.

Take it steady. Grab as many wheels as you can that are not going too fast and Enjoy the ride.

Spike Milligan
Old 08-16-10, 02:27 PM
bobthib
Legs; OK! Lungs; not!

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
FYI - This is billed as a 20 - 22 mph ride, 6 hrs riding, 7 hrs elapsed time. If you can't hold that, you are "un-invited." As it's a loop around a lake, there's no turning back after 58 miles.

I plan to eat right the day before with a big bowl of pasta Friday night. No booze for 2 days before. Lots of liquids before, during, and after. And I WILL suck wheel the entire way. If I decide to pull, it will be the last mile!
Old 08-16-10, 02:57 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Forgot about Flat rides---Never done one myself.

65 to 70 mile mark may be bonk time. I normally take my one break about 60 to 65 miles. Have something a bit more substantial to eat- Take a full bottle with electrolites- stretch a bit and then go. Only takes a couple of minutes- 5 at the most so use this stop to top up on fuel.

Have fun and take pics.

Spike Milligan
Old 08-16-10, 03:47 PM
Mojo Slim
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Hey, I couldn't find the elevation thing on the link. All I saw was a thick red line at the bottom of the page.
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Old 08-16-10, 04:20 PM
bobthib
Legs; OK! Lungs; not!

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo Slim
Hey, I couldn't find the elevation thing on the link. All I saw was a thick red line at the bottom of the page.
Yeah, that little blip at about mile 60 is a nickel someone dropped on the road.
Old 08-16-10, 07:25 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Looks like an easy way to get in some big miles. Don't fret so much about the climbing. I find that RWGPS tends to overstate elevation gain by almost double.
Old 08-16-10, 07:59 PM
FL_MarkD

Bikes: Serotta Fierte IT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Everyone laughs about the FL flat. Just remember there is no coasting down the hills, you can't stop turning the pedals. That is why I always look for the tall guys with wide shoulders and stay on their wheel at all cost. I plan to do the Rails to Trails ride on the Withlacoochee Trail on Oct 3. Another flat century ride that is a lot of fun.

Mark
Old 08-16-10, 08:40 PM
bobthib
Legs; OK! Lungs; not!

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by FL_MarkD
Everyone laughs about the FL flat. Just remember there is no coasting down the hills, you can't stop turning the pedals. That is why I always look for the tall guys with wide shoulders and stay on their wheel at all cost. I plan to do the Rails to Trails ride on the Withlacoochee Trail on Oct 3. Another flat century ride that is a lot of fun.

Mark
My buddy John from The Villages will be there. I may too, depending on schedules.
Old 08-16-10, 10:28 PM
Masperius

Bikes: TREK S720

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Masperius, I will ride for Tyler! Great idea. As for the #s and letters, I'm not sure, but I imagine it is so they can survey the levee from the air after hurricanes and report any breeches. Google Lake Okeechobee hurricane. In 1928 a hurricane cause a massive flood killing over 2.000 people. After that they built the levees, and put the pathway to provide access. No motor vehicles are allowed except for emergency repairs.
I googled "Okeechobee" and it looks like you gave a plausible explanation.
Okeechobee = Big Water, 1 trillion gallons... You can say that again...
Thanks for the reply and have a great ride.

Last edited by Masperius; 08-16-10 at 10:39 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.