Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Rules against dangerous racing

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-13, 07:29 PM
Monkeyclaw

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced 1, Giant TCX, Felt B2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What's the USAC rule about dangerous racing? I think it's the same one they use to stop people from raising their arms across the finish line.

The reason I'm asking is that there is a dangerous racer in the area that has crashed others out of races more than once. He is a hazard on the course, and nobody will let him on their team or even on their group rides because he's too dangerous and 'knows everything'. Any time he's confronted he tells everyone to F off.

How do you guys handle people like this? Aside from frontier justice...
Old 04-07-13, 07:34 PM
jsutkeepspining
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
knock him off his bike in the next race. he won't bother anytone ever again
Old 04-07-13, 07:49 PM
Monkeyclaw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was expecting that from rkwaki! I haven't raced against him but many of my teammates have. I think he's crashed two of them out, one requiring a new bike along with a trip to the hospital. If I raced against him, I'd have video evidence of his bad riding.

I'm all of 140 pounds and bounce off of people like a ping-pong ball. I can't be much of an enforcer out there unless it's using cheap tactics like sweeping a wheel or something. Not my style.

Apparently what he's doing is diving into corners super early and swinging way wide. Rumor is it may be intentional to take out the field.
Old 04-07-13, 07:59 PM
Harun
:p

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
any these might apply

1N6. Abuse.
(a) No rider or other licensee may be disrespectful toward anyone at a race.
(b) No rider or other licensee may use foul or abusive language or conduct during a race event.
(c) No licensee may assault (an unlawful attempt, coupled with the present ability, to commit a violent injury on the person of another) or do battery (any willful and unlawful use of force or violence upon the person of another) to anyone connected with any event held under a USA Cycling permit.
(d) )Violent assault and/or battery as described in 1N6(c) committed by a licensee against a race official at a USA Cycling permitted event shall be subject to additional penalties.

1N7. No rider may make an abrupt motion so as to interfere with the forward progress of another rider, either intentionally or by accident.

1N8. Dangerous Rider. Any rider who appears to present a danger to the other competitors may be disqualified by the Chief Referee, either before, during, or after a race.
Old 04-07-13, 08:21 PM
Monkeyclaw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ah, 1N7 and 1N8 look pretty good. Thanks!
Old 04-07-13, 09:24 PM
beatlebee 

Bikes: i may have bike(s)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hope he isn’t Cat 4 racing the State Crit Race coming up. Uh, but if so, what does he look like?
Old 04-07-13, 09:54 PM
Monkeyclaw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't met him. He's been racing as a 4, not sure if he'll be upgrading any time soon. He's mouthed off to several of my teammates who have talked to him, along with a lot of other people.
Old 04-07-13, 10:42 PM
mkadam68

Bikes: 2012 MotorHouse road bike. No. You can't get one.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Monkeyclaw
Ah, 1N7 and 1N8 look pretty good. Thanks!
Keep in mind, the officials will want to hear from more than just one person. And if you're lucky, you'll get the same official at several races in a row who will be hearing the same complaints. Adds up.

In the meantime, watch how he rides. You apparently have already noticed how he's being dangerous. Now, do what you can to avoid that situation. We have a cat 1/2 guy out here: same reputation. We've learned, though: never cross your wheel with "Johnny" 'cause he doesn't notice others around him when he changes lines.
Old 04-08-13, 05:33 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
video. without that it's hard for officials to punish. I learned that the hard way after such a rider crashed me hard, first ever broken bone in my life, end of my 26th season of racing. he got off scott free.

it's why I race with a helmet cam every race.

ah Junior just slipped out of my arms so I can type with both hands now.

Anyway you need photo/video proof. The rider in question took out most of the field in a training race (he was basically 3rd wheel when he swept across the road) and he and his teammates, including the one 50 meters behind the field, all swore he had to avoid the guy braking hard in front of him (Cat 1 leading the field who absolutely did not brake).

The worst part is I had my helmet cam rig at the race but decided not to use it. I'd been struggling there the whole season so I didn't want to use my camcorder-AV-AdapterCables-helmetcam-8AA-battery heavy inconvenient 80 min max recording time rig. The rider in question asked if I'd be using the helmet cam. I replied to the negative.

For my out of pocket costs, not working for 2 months, misc medical supplies, etc, I could have bought everyone in the field a ContourHD.
Old 04-08-13, 08:10 AM
cycledogg

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Monkeyclaw
What's the USAC rule about dangerous racing? I think it's the same one they use to stop people from raising their arms across the finish line.

The reason I'm asking is that there is a dangerous racer in the area that has crashed others out of races more than once. He is a hazard on the course, and nobody will let him on their team or even on their group rides because he's too dangerous and 'knows everything'. Any time he's confronted he tells everyone to F off.

How do you guys handle people like this? Aside from frontier justice...
Carry a frame pump.
Old 04-08-13, 08:46 AM
Monkeyclaw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks all for the responses. Apparently the regional director has been informed of him previously and he's about to get some more e-mails. I wasn't in the race so I have no video. I'm hoping I never race the guy but if I do, the video camera will be on.
Old 04-08-13, 09:26 AM
rkwaki
soon to be gsteinc...

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I see I summoned to appear here.
You could fly me out to Sedona for a little vacation and I could join you on a group ride...

Problem is guys like that are always going to be guys like that if that makes any sense. We have one here that is a total d-bag and has caused plenty of wrecks. I have personally spoken to him and told him to relax but he knows everything and you can't tell him a damn thing. Sometimes a wreck will straighten them out, sometimes it won't.

Being confrontational if you aren't a heavyweight won't do you much good. Often what it takes is a respected, accomplished rider pulling him aside on a group ride and having a heart to heart. I have done this many times and it usually works only in one case has it not.
Old 04-24-13, 06:51 AM
YMCA
starting pistol means war

Bikes: Cervelo R3

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Learn to use your shoulders.

Have others assist in calling him out, when his actions are sketchy.
Not after the race, but as it happens.
Otherwise it's already forgotten.
Old 04-24-13, 08:01 AM
wens

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What about guys who just don't listen? At one point Saturday the guy 2 to the left of me forced his way through a non gap, forced his teammate between the two of us to swerve about three feet, I had to follow his teammate. I said something to the effect of there wasn't space for you to do that (probably loudly, I wasn't happy). Dude just didn't get it, I kinda lost my temper and did some yelling, gave up and just tried to stay in front of him.

Side note, the dude was really strong. Terrible bike racer, but strong. If he figured it out he'd win races.
Old 04-24-13, 08:17 AM
nhluhr
John Wayne Toilet Paper

Bikes: BH carbon, Ritchey steel, Kona aluminum

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cycledogg
Carry a frame pump.
Old 04-24-13, 02:37 PM
HMF
SkinnyStrong

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I dunno. I think frontier justice is the way to go.

I remember one race someone on a prominent team got annoyed that I was setting tempo and not pulling off the front while I had a team mate off the front. After yelling "Get off the front!" he rode up the side and swerved over as he passed me by, narrowly missing my front wheel. If I had gone down a lot of riders would've gone down behind me. I probably would've gotten violent.