Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northern California
Reload this Page >

south bay ride suggestions/help (Henry Coe/Gilroy, Hollister, Salinas and beyond)

Search
Notices
Northern California Northern California

south bay ride suggestions/help (Henry Coe/Gilroy, Hollister, Salinas and beyond)

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-15, 04:26 PM
Harun
:p

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

One of the areas I've been trying to branch out my riding is the area south of Gilroy and beyond. I just got an all-terrain bike from santa so I am trying to explore some of the mixed terrain around the area. I am looking for road rides, dirt rides (everything but pure DH type stuff), and any combination thereof.

* For Henry Coe, I've always just rode E. Dunne to the top where the HQ trailheads are and back down, or around the foothills of Gilroy Hot Springs/Hunting Hollow. Has anybody ever ridden all the way through Henry Coe, starting on the E.Dunne side, going south down to Kaiser Aetna Rd?

* I've heard of people riding Upper San Antonio Valley off of CA-130 and following Coyote Creek down to Henry Coe. It looks like there is quite a bit of non-state-park territory riding involved. Any Advice? I'm not scared of rough terrain, wild hogs, mountain lions, or poison oak, but private property and 2nd amendment exercising landowners...

* Any roads/rides I should check out around Hollister and Salinas? I know of Fremont Peak and San Juan Bautista, but anything else? The whole area between 101, 152 and 5 looks like prime 'middle of nowhere' riding potential.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by Harun; 01-11-15 at 04:42 PM.
Old 01-11-15, 06:22 PM
shotwellian

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
I recently wrote a short article for the Chronicle's bike blog about some of my favorite routes in the area. You can check it out here -- let me know if you have any questions on these routes!
Old 02-01-15, 09:17 PM
Jiminni

Bikes: 2012 Trek Madone 5.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go into the Monterey/Carmel Valley area....tons of rides there