Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Old Suntour Barcon... Shot?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-14, 02:25 AM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts

Hey there!

I stumbled on an old Schwinn Super Sport recently. It's set up for touring with Suntour barcons and a triple chain ring. Front derailleur had a broken cage, so I went poking around and found a Huret Challenger.

The FD shifter isn't holding worth a damn. It'll keep things on the large ring (barely), but any shift down from there results in full loss of friction and a dump to the small ring. There's a lot of vertical play in the shifter from 6 to 4 o'clock and then things tighten up from 4 to 3 (looking from the side; dunno how else to describe the positioning). In the lower positions there is a bit of side-to-side play as well.

I've read some previous threads on barcon issues and have tightened the smaller, inside screw as hard as it'll go. The outside screw is worn and the slot isn't very deep. That means I can only moderately tighten it before the protruding bolt interferes with the screwdriver.

Do I just need to find a way to get things even tighter? I'm considering inserting a thin washer on the left side of the lever but wanted to consult the pros first.

*Side Issue that May or May Not be Relevant: That Challenger derailleur has some serious tension. It moves freely, nothing's stuck, but the spring -- which I can't find for the life of me -- pulls harder than anything I've run into in my limited experience. Is there a way to adjust it? If not, am I totally screwed by the combination of this derailleur and my worn shifter?

Anything helps. Thanks in advance.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 02-23-14, 06:00 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I'm thinking that, if it worked before, my first shot would be to try a different front derailleur.
Old 02-23-14, 09:01 AM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

I don't know if it worked before... the cable was locked up in the housing. Now that that things can actually move, everything's gone to hell.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 02-23-14, 09:04 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Try shimming the lever with a washer to see if that tightens it up adequately. A hard fd spring isn't making the shifter's job any easier but see if you can firm up the lever action first.
Old 02-23-14, 09:37 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
The slotted nut is a locknut (#16 in the schematic below). Check that you have all the needed parts:

Old 02-23-14, 12:35 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

@JohnDThompson -- AWESOME! That was exactly what I needed. Tore the shifter down, cleaned and reassembled and it's working great. Seems I may have created my own problem earlier when trying to get WD-40 involved in removing the barcons from the bars (both are seized).

Yep. WD-40 will play havoc with the friction required by friction shifters. And sometimes I'm an idiot.

Definitely gonna add "exploded diagram" to my mental list of stuff to google when working on my bikes though.

Thanks for the help, gentlemen!
Old 02-23-14, 03:12 PM
bmc5733946 

Bikes: 1974 Paramount White (Campagnolo Record) 1971 Schwinn Super Sport Kool Lemon (single speed) 1975 Viscount Aero Space Pro (Vintage Dura Ace) 1971 Raleigh Superbe (mens) 1974 Raleigh Superbe (ladies)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Part #19 is right hand thread, looking from shift lever side turn clockwise to release wedges. I've never seen them seized but I suppose it could happen. I have seen the hex in the screw stripped out. I have salvaged some by cutting the bars off and working from the other side.

Brian

1974 Paramount White (Campagnolo Record, Weinmann)
1975 Viscount Aerospace Pro (Vintage Dura-Ace)
1971 Schwinn Super Sport Kool Lemon (single speed)
1971 Raleigh Superbe (mens)
1974 Raleigh Superbe (ladies)
Old 02-23-14, 03:35 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Originally Posted by bmc5733946
Part #19 is right hand thread, looking from shift lever side turn clockwise to release wedges. I've never seen them seized but I suppose it could happen. I have seen the hex in the screw stripped out. I have salvaged some by cutting the bars off and working from the other side.

Brian
Thanks Brian. In my other reading I discovered that it's a right-hand thread, but still no good. The hex isn't stripped, but that sucker sure isn't moving. I'm leaning toward cutting off the ends of the bars as you described. Is there anything on the back side of part 19? Slot? Phillips? Nothing?
Old 02-23-14, 04:18 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,876 Times in 2,315 Posts
Sometimes you can use the bar end lever to twist the body and loosen up the expanding clamp "shoes". There's steel and Alu parts that can corrode to each other. I'll place a thin coat of grease on all the clamp parts on reassembly. So to with the lever's ratchet and friction plates. I've cleaned up dozens of these and the stem and down tube (also Command style) SunTour ratcheted levers over the last 41 years and excepting when the thin plastic friction washers were too few, never had a problem with one that had all the parts in the right orientation. Andy.
Old 02-23-14, 04:35 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Sometimes you can use [tools from the Iron Age] to twist the body and loosen up the expanding clamp "shoes". There's steel and Alu parts that can corrode to each other.
[Fixed it. haha]

Yes you can, and indeed there are! Both units have now been removed, courtesy of some arbitrary hammering and then torquing the inner hex bolt so hard it eventually spun the entire assembly. Sometimes brute force is the best option. White powdery corrosion (or maybe anthrax) all over the parts. Serious cleanup comes next.

I'll place a thin coat of grease on all the clamp parts on reassembly.
Sounds like a fine idea.

So to with the lever's ratchet and friction plates. I've cleaned up dozens of these [...] over the last 41 years and excepting when the thin plastic friction washers were too few, never had a problem with one that had all the parts in the right orientation. Andy.
The paper-thin bushings -- "friction washers" -- are intact. So grease inside the assembly is okay? After my WD-40 screwup the temptation is just to run those suckers totally dry!

Last edited by Fahrenheit531; 02-23-14 at 04:38 PM. Reason: enhance the funny
Old 02-23-14, 06:56 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

The key to these levers is that the slotted lock nut and hex pressure nut while jammed against each other and the "clutch pack" is only tightened against one side of the lever body. I have seen many with missing nuts and these just don't stay in adjustment or work well at all. The friction surfaces want to have the plastic washers on each side of the ratchet wheel. A thin film of grease is all that's needed on them. I do like to also have a film of grease on the ratchet wheel teeth. The clicks sound real snicky this way. At one time i filed a notch in a wide but thin slotted screwdriver to tighten the domed locknut. I usually over tighten the friction then by unscrewing the pivot bolt's head a bit by bit lessen the friction till it's just right. Andy.
Old 02-23-14, 07:20 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Originally Posted by J.Oxley
The hex isn't stripped, but that sucker sure isn't moving. I'm leaning toward cutting off the ends of the bars as you described. Is there anything on the back side of part 19? Slot? Phillips? Nothing?
No, nothing:

That doesn't mean you couldn't cut a slot there to help remove it; it's not as if it would be visible once installed.
Old 02-23-14, 09:28 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

HA! The problem is part #3 , above. Ratchet Spring (A). Somebody must've used these shifters a lot, because both springs are worn down to nubs and their engagement with the ratchet is iffy at best. On the upside, all parts are now relatively clean and happy.

I suspect these springs are impossible to find without cannibalizing from my other, nonexistent barcons. Yes?

[EDIT] Wait. NO. I'll bet a bunch of Suntour's stuff featured this spring/ratchet deal. Right now I'm thinking specifically of the stem-mounted Powershift levers on my wife's mixte, which click in one direction but not the other. I'm gonna start researching this, but if anyone knows for sure about parts/model compatibility please chime in!

We need a "lightbulb over the head" emoticon.

Last edited by Fahrenheit531; 02-23-14 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Lightbulb moment
Old 02-23-14, 10:34 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

last post on this. it's easy to reverse the assembly of both the ratchet spring (this is less obtuse) and the ratchet wheel (this is more likely). Both ways the action gets weird. Andy.
Old 02-25-14, 12:05 AM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 712 Times in 380 Posts
J, if you're looking for replacements, check with CCC on Alberta. The last time I was there, they had a couple sets in a can.

For reference by future generations. A bigger version of the diagram:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/strongl...7612711051830/

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 02-25-14, 01:41 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Originally Posted by Jeff Wills
J, if you're looking for replacements, check with CCC on Alberta. The last time I was there, they had a couple sets in a can.
Just got back from CCC, and I've got what I need. BIG THANKS for the tip, Jeff -- I'd never been there before, and it's more than worth the extra travel time.
See this face? This is my happy face.
Old 02-25-14, 10:27 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 712 Times in 380 Posts
Originally Posted by J.Oxley
Just got back from CCC, and I've got what I need. BIG THANKS for the tip, Jeff -- I'd never been there before, and it's more than worth the extra travel time.
See this face? This is my happy face.
I go there (and Citybikes) to run my fingers through the bins of old parts. Call me crazy- you wouldn't be the first.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 02-26-14, 11:05 AM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Originally Posted by Jeff Wills
I go there (and Citybikes) to run my fingers through the bins of old parts. Call me crazy- you wouldn't be the first.
Heh. I did it too. That place is awesome.

Returning to the issue at hand: New ratchet springs = flawlessly functional barcons.
Woo. Hoo.
Old 09-02-14, 03:11 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
I recently purchased a used set or Suntour Barcons. This will be my second set. The first set were NOS, and operate perfectly. My second set will be used.

What minimal tuning and or cleaning would anyone recommend before I install these?
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.