Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Deciding between 2 cheap Torque Wrenches: Beam type or Clicker?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-17, 09:12 AM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts

Hi all,

I want to get a cheap Torque wrench to be able to tighten the bolts on my carbon bike to the proper torque. I don't want to spend close to $100 for a tool that I'm going to use a couple times a year.

I was reading reviews, and heard surprisingly good things about this little tool: Icetoolz Ocarina. I believe it is a "beam style" torque wrench in a slightly different format. It looks kind of silly and cheap, but apparantly it is very accurate, and super cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=AUO9W8MUC55QD

The others I was looking at are by Venzo:
https://www.amazon.com/Venzo-Premium...+torque+wrench

Those are the cheap "click" style wrenches. They seem more durable and well made, but I have heard horror stories of cheap click style wrenches being miscalibrated, and destroying carbon parts. Exactly the OPPOSITE of what I'm trying to achieve.

At least with the beam type, you still have the "feel" of a normal allen key, and you see the dial move while tightening. With the click style, you have to keep tightening, and there is no indication of where you are until it 'clicks'.

Which one do you guys think I should get? I'm leaning towards the Icetoolz Ocarina, because I am really scared of the cheap click type not being properly calibrated. I've never heard horror stories about the beam type?

EDIT:Another one I stumbled upon is this adjustable one from CDI: https://www.jensonusa.com/CDI-Torqcon...-Torque-Wrench
People seem to like it, and it is pretty affordable. I know Park Tool makes a similar one, the ATD-1, but that only goes from 4-6Nm, and for some of my bolts I need 8Nm, this one does 2-8Nm.

Any other recommendations in the $40-$50 range are also appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited by maartendc; 02-16-17 at 09:27 AM.
Old 02-16-17, 09:20 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/Neiko-03727A-...e+wrench&psc=1
Old 02-16-17, 09:22 AM
TheRef

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Subscribed
Old 02-16-17, 09:38 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 411 Posts
Any cheap torque wrench should be calibrated. I only have experience with a neighbors Harbour Freight but it was so bad he took it back and was advised by the manager to come back when they get a new batch in. The new one was a tiny bit low reading and we checked it again a month or so ago, so maybe a year later, and it is still where it was. He says he always returns it to zero which is necessary.
Old 02-16-17, 09:52 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
I'm a beam type fan just because it's simple. It'll come with an accuracy of +/-X% (where X is the unknown), but it'll stay pretty close to that for a long time. Click type torque wrenches have more fiddly hidden little parts to go wrong.
Old 02-16-17, 10:01 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
I actually snipe ebay for good tools, cheap. I'd get something pretty foolproof, like a beam type, from a good brand like Sturtevant -Richmont or Proto. Snap-On is overpriced, even on ebay. Hard to knock the beam types out of calibration. But if you want one quickly and don't want to have to figure out which ebay offering has what you want, Harbor freight has a 1/8 drive click wrench for 20 bucks. Make sure that the one you buy has the range of torques your bike needs.
Old 02-16-17, 10:06 AM
TheRef

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Not to hijack the thread but does anybody have any experience with the performance brand wrench?
Spin Doctor Torque Wrench Set
Old 02-16-17, 10:33 AM
cycledogg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by TheRef
Not to hijack the thread but does anybody have any experience with the performance brand wrench?
I have this one and it seems to do the job. Since I don't actually use a torque wrench much, I can "feel" good enough not to need one. I have tested my touch with torque wrenches and come close enough that I am sure of myself. When in doubt, I'll pull out the wrench. Having said that, the Spin Doctor Torque Wrench is suitable for home use.
Cheers
Old 02-16-17, 11:00 AM
mzr

Bikes: Who cares?

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
I'm a beam type fan just because it's simple. It'll come with an accuracy of +/-X% (where X is the unknown), but it'll stay pretty close to that for a long time. Click type torque wrenches have more fiddly hidden little parts to go wrong.
I have an auto parts store generic click wrench that has held up for more than 10 years. Its a 1/2" drive, so it does lug nuts, cylinder head bolts, and suspension bolts. Its even torqued CV axle retaining nuts that require 250 ft-lbs. I'd imagine using a click wrench for low torque applications they'd last indefinitely.

Go with the click type, the beams you have to look at to see the torque value. The click, well they click when you reach the set torque. I often torque two or three times just to make sure, and makes it easily repeatable.
Old 02-16-17, 11:11 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by mzr
Go with the click type, the beams you have to look at to see the torque value.
That's only a problem when you can't easily see the wrench. There is nothing on a bicycle that keeps the wrench out of sight. Beam types are cheaper for a given quality, more rugged and won't go out of calibration without it being obvious.
Old 02-16-17, 11:32 AM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,182 Times in 1,184 Posts
In my younger days when I was building a lot of motors, all I could afford was a beam TW, it always seemed a little hit or miss.
I moved on to the click type and have been happy.... with smaller loads I think the click is more accurate. Beams can either not load enough or go past the mark.
I like hearing the click.
JM2C'S

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 02-16-17, 12:14 PM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 191 Posts
Beam types are a little less user friendly. You need to look at the readout plus what you're doing simultaneously. Dial/click types are a little easier to use but must be zeroed out between uses.

All torque wrenches are their best in the middle of their range and less accurate at the extremes. Get the torque wrench where the middle of the range falls where you're most likely to use it.

I wound up getting a Topeak d-torq. Different than a dial or beam in that it uses an electronic transducer. You set the desired torque on the digital gauge. The wrench beeps when you reach set torque and beeps again if you exceed. Very user friendly and doesn't need to be zeroed out between uses. Of course it costs more than the dial or beam type, but it gets a fair amount of use on my workbench.
Old 02-16-17, 12:31 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
It is not only important to get the right range but measure towards the middle of the range, if you have a choice. Often the extremes of the range provide a false indication as the measurement is not always linear. If the manufacturer compensated with the scale, then it would be more acceptable.

Not the case for bicycle, but I would not be able to read a beam TW with a torque reading above 150 ft-lb. I would be shaking so much that I would not have an idea where on the scale the torque actually is! 250 works well for a click TW
Old 02-16-17, 12:36 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
I have this one:

https://www.amazon.com/2-10NM-Bicycl...+torque+wrench

It is super tiny but it does the job. I would recommend a clicker for higher torque applications. Getting up to 10 nm is quite a challenge on the little guy though. The icetools one looks cool but might not work in certain rare situations. There was barely enough space to tighten the clamping bolts that clamp brifters to the handlebars (~7 nm) with the hoods on.
Old 02-16-17, 12:37 PM
SkyDog75

Bikes: Bianchi San Mateo and a few others

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Beam wrenches are cheap and reliable, and they don't ever need to be recalibrated, but you need to be able to read their scale head-on. On a bike, that's usually not a problem. But if you ever find yourself needing to use a torque wrench on a fastener where you don't have head-on visibility to the wrench, you'll appreciate having a clicker. The down side to a clicker is that you should get it recalibrated periodically.
Old 02-16-17, 04:17 PM
jsdavis

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by easyupbug
Any cheap torque wrench should be calibrated. I only have experience with a neighbors Harbour Freight but it was so bad he took it back and was advised by the manager to come back when they get a new batch in. The new one was a tiny bit low reading and we checked it again a month or so ago, so maybe a year later, and it is still where it was. He says he always returns it to zero which is necessary.
The CDI torque driver is calibrated and comes with calibration chart on the back of the packaging. CDI is a brand owned by Snap On.

It's not a torque wrench, but rather a torque limiting device that will ratchet once at the torque setting. It will not allow you to torque above whatever you set it at. The bad is that it only works in one direction. Neutral is it is a disposable device and I think considered worn out after so many thousand clicks - the mechanism will click at lower and lower torque as it wears out. For a home user, probably you'll get a decade of use out of it.

Last edited by jsdavis; 02-16-17 at 04:21 PM.
Old 02-16-17, 04:21 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 260 Posts
I have a click type (Draper), but I'd buy a beam type to use with the bike simply because you can't torque a left-hand thread Ultra-Torque bottom bracket cup with a click type torque wrench - gotta use a beam type torque wrench for left-hand thread.
Old 02-17-17, 01:43 AM
sunburst

Bikes: Giant, Peugeots, Motobecanes, Kona, Specialized, Bike Friday, Ironhorse, Royal Scot, Schwinns

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by TheRef
I have it and am happy with it. I use it for carbon parts. It's got the Allen wrench sizes you will need also.
Performance is reselling a Chinese product that is available on Amazon for $30 less. I think I got mine at 30% off and still paid a $10 premium to support my brick and motor Performance store. But their mechanic had just given me a portion of carbon assembly paste (they were out of stock on their tube of the stuff), so I felt OK paying the premium.

I've also got a much larger Harbor Freight torque wrench that I used today to bolt on a crank, and I can definitely say the click type was an advantage while trying to get up to 25-30 ft-lbs, iirc, while that crank wanted to spin and I was bending over the frame and bike stand. I would not have been able to see the beam. The square taper crank is kind of an odd joint to get up to proper torque anyway because it takes some force to move the crank arms up the taper. I thought surely I was over-tightening but I was just forcing the arm up the taper.

Oh yeah, I also slack off the torque setting when I put it away.
Old 02-17-17, 02:17 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
Originally Posted by maartendc
EDIT:Another one I stumbled upon is this adjustable one from CDI: CDI Torqcontrol Adjustable Torque Wrench > Accessories > Tools > Torque Wrenches | Jenson USA
People seem to like it, and it is pretty affordable. I know Park Tool makes a similar one, the ATD-1, but that only goes from 4-6Nm, and for some of my bolts I need 8Nm, this one does 2-8Nm.

Any other recommendations in the $40-$50 range are also appreciated.

Thanks!
If you are going to 8Nm, you want a wrench that has a higher range.
You basically want to keep your torque readings in the middle 2/3 of the scale.
Avoid the extremes. Accuracy starts to deteriorate. Sometimes rapidly.
Old 02-17-17, 03:51 AM
AdvXtrm

Bikes: 2016 Novara - Safari

Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unless you plan on getting a certified clicker, and keeping its re-calibration schedule, you'd likely be better off with the beam-type.
Old 02-17-17, 07:05 AM
Bikedud
Sapient

Bikes: Just a bunch of bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Great article on the subject. FWIW- we use the CDI adjustable, the Lifeline Pro, and the Topeak D-Torq at the shop.

Best torque wrench for bicycle grouptest - BikeRadar USA
Old 02-17-17, 07:08 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by SkyDog75
Beam wrenches are cheap and reliable, and they don't ever need to be recalibrated, but you need to be able to read their scale head-on. On a bike, that's usually not a problem. But if you ever find yourself needing to use a torque wrench on a fastener where you don't have head-on visibility to the wrench, you'll appreciate having a clicker. The down side to a clicker is that you should get it recalibrated periodically.
+1 Even cheap beam type torque wrenchs should be quite accurate.
Old 02-17-17, 09:54 AM
maartendc

Originally Posted by AdvXtrm
Unless you plan on getting a certified clicker, and keeping its re-calibration schedule, you'd likely be better off with the beam-type.
Originally Posted by rydabent
+1 Even cheap beam type torque wrenchs should be quite accurate.
Alright thanks guys, I'm ordering the Ocarina.

I don't plan on getting it professionally recalibrated, and I am very worried about breaking my carbon stuff if it goes out of alignment, so the Ocarina seems to be the better option. The Bikeradar review had the Ocarina very accurate out of the box, so that should be good.

The main drawback seems to be reading the dial, but I cant think of any application on my bike where I would have trouble reading it.

Thanks!
Old 02-17-17, 11:00 AM
Kopsis

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nothing wrong with your choice, but you really don't need to worry so much. The margin on torque "specs" for the stuff you're doing is pretty big. In the case of things like stem bolts, the spec is for the lowest value (with margin) that will keep the stem or bars from slipping, not the highest value that you can use without crushing the tube. Using a torque wrench is a good thing, but even if it's calibration is off by 20% the worst problem you'll have is not getting things quite tight enough.
Old 02-17-17, 11:04 AM
maartendc

Originally Posted by Kopsis
Nothing wrong with your choice, but you really don't need to worry so much. The margin on torque "specs" for the stuff you're doing is pretty big. In the case of things like stem bolts, the spec is for the lowest value (with margin) that will keep the stem or bars from slipping, not the highest value that you can use without crushing the tube. Using a torque wrench is a good thing, but even if it's calibration is off by 20% the worst problem you'll have is not getting things quite tight enough.
I know, but I own a BMC SLC01 frame that has an integrated carbon seat clamp. These clamps are known to be very fragile, and there have been plenty of people that have cracked them and destroyed the frame in the process.

So until now I have been extremely cautious and just tightening them enough for the seatpost not to slip. But I knew I eventually should get a torque wrench.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.