Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Constant chain drop/jam issue

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-18, 07:36 AM
reqm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I recently put together a new bike, and everything seemed to work well for a few weeks until recently.
The chain would drop quite frequently when I shift from the small ring to the big ring (it would drop about 1 out of 10 times). Not only that, the chain would get jammed between the small ring and the frame, making it impossible to get it out without a quicklink tool. The mechanic told me that certain cranksets cause the chain to get jammed this way. The problem seems to be happening both indoors on the trainer and outdoors.

Has anyone experienced this or know of a solution?

Specific bike info:
Cervelo R5 (2018) size 48
Dura Ace R9100 (mechanical) RD, FD, and shifters
Rotor 3D+ crank, compact Qrings
Ultegra R8000 chain and cassette

Are there any incompatible parts here that I should try swapping out for another?
My previous bike was a size 51 Cervelo with the same setup, except it was 10 speed. Never had any issues, and the chain never got jammed even when it did drop.
Old 01-09-18, 07:49 AM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
It makes little sense that the chain would end up between the small ring and the frame after shifting "from the small ring to the big ring." If it's actually the reverse, then the simplest solution would be to purchase a chain watcher. However the proper 1st thing to try is to mount and adjust the front derailleur, following Park Tool's procedure from start to finish. It not only will reduce occurrences but may improve your shifting overall. Actually, that's the absolute 1st thing to do if your post is accurate, because it means that the shifting to the large ring is totally unacceptable. Also make sure you do not have too large a difference in size between your two chainrings.
Old 01-09-18, 07:52 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
I'm sure there is some adjustment issue going on there, but in the meantime, here's a doodad that guards against this happening.
Deda Elementi Dog Fang (Chain Catcher) | Chain Reaction Cycles
Old 01-09-18, 08:17 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
I'm sure there is some adjustment issue going on there, but in the meantime, here's a doodad that guards against this happening.
Deda Elementi Dog Fang (Chain Catcher) | Chain Reaction Cycles
+1, I use these: N-Gear, Home of the Jump Stop Not as a Band-Aid against sloppy adjustment, but more of a "belt and suspenders" approach because I hate digging a greasy chain out and re-railing it.

Last edited by dsbrantjr; 01-09-18 at 08:24 AM.
Old 01-09-18, 08:24 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
The FD is out of adjustment. Either the cable has stretched a bit, or the FD itself got bumped/knocked out of position.
Old 01-09-18, 08:29 AM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 86 Posts
In addition to checking derailleur adjustment, check to see that the FD is not bent in any way. Also check your crank installation to make sure there is no lateral play, this can wreak havoc with shifting.
Old 01-09-18, 09:51 AM
reqm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the helpful input so far! The issue always occurred when shifting from the small ring (34) to the big ring (50).
I've had my go-to mechanic (he's well known in the area and high in demand) adjust the derailleurs each time it got jammed.. 6 times in 3 weeks. I've always had a chain catcher installed and tried 2 different brands (Rotor and one other brand I cant recall), but it didn't prevent the chain from dropping not even once.

I'll ask him to check for lateral play or if the FD is bent/out of position. Really hope to fix this soon as it's been a frustrating experience with the new bike
Old 01-09-18, 10:07 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,438 Times in 2,764 Posts
The factory builds seem to use 9100 cranks, was there a reason you didn't want those?
Old 01-09-18, 10:08 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Now knowing that the FD has been adjusted by a mechanic more than once, I'll go out a limb and say there's a fair chance you're gonna need a new FD. I had the chain catch on an FD-6700 and slightly tweak the shape of the cage-- it was never the same. I could kinda bend it back with my thumbs, but it would catch again and again. The only fix was replacing it.

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
The factory builds seem to use 9100 cranks, was there a reason you didn't want those?
Cervelo does it both ways. My R3 came with the full 6800 group, but a Rotor 3D crankset. Though I don't know if I've seen the 8000 group with Rotor. I just assumed that the 6800 crank wasn't made in a BBRight version.
Old 01-09-18, 08:31 PM
reqm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I wanted to make the new bike as identical to my old one as possible since the previous build seemed to work well.
Old 01-09-18, 09:18 PM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Now knowing that the FD has been adjusted by a mechanic more than once, I'll go out a limb and say there's a fair chance you're gonna need a new FD. I had the chain catch on an FD-6700 and slightly tweak the shape of the cage-- it was never the same. I could kinda bend it back with my thumbs, but it would catch again and again. The only fix was replacing it.
Had the same exact issue and result. I was able to play around and tweak it to where little to big worked but big to little had to be done manually. I took the advice of someone around here and went with a new one.

Last edited by u235; 01-09-18 at 09:27 PM.
Old 01-09-18, 10:13 PM
xenologer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by reqm
6 times in 3 weeks.
Try a different mechanic

If it takes him 6 tries to continue failing....
Old 01-09-18, 10:23 PM
reqm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by u235
Had the same exact issue and result. I was able to play around and tweak it to where little to big worked but big to little had to be done manually. I took the advice of someone around here and went with a new one.
Thanks for sharing your similar experience. I'll try replacing the FD next.

The other issue is the fact that the chain gets totally lodged between the small ring and the frame.
It's really inconvenient since nobody carries around a quicklink tool on a ride, and it can't be good for the frame either. Is the small size of the frame to blame? Or could it be the crankset?

The Cervelo + Rotor combo worked fine on my previous bike (older model that was a size bigger).. never had a chain jam issue with that setup before and there seemed to be more clearance in that area.
Old 03-23-22, 05:57 AM
hambaki

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did you fix this problem?

Originally Posted by reqm
I recently put together a new bike, and everything seemed to work well for a few weeks until recently.
The chain would drop quite frequently when I shift from the small ring to the big ring (it would drop about 1 out of 10 times). Not only that, the chain would get jammed between the small ring and the frame, making it impossible to get it out without a quicklink tool. The mechanic told me that certain cranksets cause the chain to get jammed this way. The problem seems to be happening both indoors on the trainer and outdoors.

Has anyone experienced this or know of a solution?

Specific bike info:
Cervelo R5 (2018) size 48
Dura Ace R9100 (mechanical) RD, FD, and shifters
Rotor 3D+ crank, compact Qrings
Ultegra R8000 chain and cassette

Are there any incompatible parts here that I should try swapping out for another?
My previous bike was a size 51 Cervelo with the same setup, except it was 10 speed. Never had any issues, and the chain never got jammed even when it did drop.

I have trouble with the same problem with Cervelo R5 as well. Even more I heard about it from other man who have this problem on his bike, cervelo R5.

If you fix this with some tips, please let me know.

Or If it couldn’t be fixed with any effort, we could ask Cervelo to solve this problem by publicizing.

Feel free to reach out.
My email adress is as below.

hambaki86@gmail.com
Old 03-25-22, 02:38 PM
tankist

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 55 Posts
Somewhat related - I had the same problem with Orbea and SRAM eTap Force AXS. Solved (hopefully) it by adjusting FD 3 times, including inner limit screw. SRAM documentation and video were really helpful.
Old 03-26-22, 12:21 PM
Alexssandro_BSB

Bikes: Twitter snyper 2.0

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"My previous bike was a size 51 Cervelo with the same setup, except it was 10 speed. Never had any issues, and the chain never got jammed even when it did drop.[/QUOTE"

really my comment has no relation to your problem, we do not have the same setup nor the same bike.

but I had the same problem. in my case the carbon was soft and could not adjust in FD.