Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

A decade of dopers.........

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

A decade of dopers.........

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-12, 11:07 AM
YMCA
starting pistol means war

Bikes: Cervelo R3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Barese Rider
What irritates me, as as US taxpayer, is that the US taxpayer funded his team. .
Since when is the USPS not allowed to advertise?
I'd say they sure got a huge bang for their buck.
Old 10-22-12, 11:03 AM
zero85ZEN

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Only a decade of doping?

How about a century plus?

Two decades of O2 vector doping that COMPLETELY skewed the results.
Old 10-22-12, 11:19 AM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3376 Post(s)
Liked 5,526 Times in 2,864 Posts
Originally Posted by YMCA
Since when is the USPS not allowed to advertise?
I'd say they sure got a huge bang for their buck.
There was an article in one of the Denver papers a few years ago about USPS hiring a consulting firm to examine the sponsorship of the USPS team. The conclusion was that USPS got $110M worth of advertising out of it. Color me skeptical, since I have never considered cycling sponsorship when I'm shipping a package. I've never been able to find this article online.
Old 10-25-12, 09:18 PM
Cog_wild

Bikes: 5 and counting

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mprelaw
You're a little behind the times, and maybe should have spent time googling stuff instead of repeating fanboy talking points. The days of amateur Olympics died with Avery Brundage. All sports are now open to professionals.

Um, professional cycling IS an Olympic sport. Vino won the gold in the road race this year---and the last time I checked, he rode in the pro peloton for a number of years. Except, of course, for the time he was suspended. USADA can't touch him because he's Belarusssian.

How many millions did Congress spend investigating MLB? Don't you remember Rafael Palmeiro swearing before a Congressional committee that he never used PEDs and then testing positive not too much later? Wasn't Clemens charged with perjury for lying to Congress? How many millions of your taxpayer dollars were spent on his two trials? USADA doesn't supervise MLB and the NFL. Their mandate is the Olympic sports.

I'm really hoping that you're just a troll, and not nearly as uninformed as you sound.
you missed a couple of my points there prelaw. I realize cycling is an Olympic sport, and Vino, a convicted doper pro cyclist, won Gold. Good for him, what a swansong, really it was a great move to cover that last attack and I know Phinney is still kicking himself. Anyway, point is that Hockey is an Olympic sport, but are there investigations into Hockey's "insidious drug ring" by the USADA? Soccer is an Olympic sport, Tennis, Swimming, Basketball, Judo, etc. How much effort has been made to test these athletes? well we don't hear about it and I would argue that in the public's eye, these are all clean sports. Jurisdictional lines get stretched and yes, I realize there is a good argument to investigate any Olympic sport (even if the majority of its athletes are competing in a professional league) anywhere at any time in order to protect the integrity of competition during the Olympics (which I would argue is the real intent based on the mission statement of the USADA.) The overall point is that bc of LA and all the people he ticked off and left behind in his quest to dominate the sport and amass wealth, cycling is now stained as playing host to the "biggest doping ring in the history of professional sports". Sorry, but that pisses me off. I don't believe that cycling is the only sport infected with extremely advanced ways and prohibited ways of maximizing human performance, far from it. Not to mention, with elaborate schemes for beating the tests.

As far as MLB goes, hell that is an American Institution. If I was a powerful and very rich businessman who owned a ball club, I'd have sicked my congressman on the big shot cheaters across the way too if they had an unfair advantage. It's a slippery slope bc you don't want to tarnish the image too much, but Cycling is fairer game. Most of the big races are in Europe anyway. Perhaps Lance made some enemies in Washington, or didn't do enough to keep powerful friends. I'm joking, sort of. Then there is the issue of the UCI's competency and positive test results that just went away.

whatever, all a bunch of drama, looking forward to riding this weekend. sorry, not a troll, still pissed that Cycling is getting all this negative attention and as I said, hopeful that Cycling might emerge as the one clean professional sport.

btw, you're confusing professional athlete with professional sport. professional Cycling is NOT an Olympic sport. Just Olympic cycling, Get it? Yes, professional cyclists do compete in the Olympic sport of cycling. whew, glad we hashed that out.

Last edited by Cog_wild; 10-25-12 at 09:21 PM.
Old 10-26-12, 08:23 AM
Bruzer
Bicyclist

Bikes: The two wheeled variety.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When did the cyclists admit to doping?

I have been reading about the Lance Armstrong news and all these cyclists who admitted doping and implicated Lance.

BEFORE the 2012 Tour de France a Dutch news organization broke a story that many cyclists (Levi L., George H., Dave Z., Johnathan V., etc) testified against Lance and would receive a shorter sentence. Now we know these people did testify against Lance. I presume this was at the same time that they admitted to doping themselves.

My question is: When exactly did these riders admit to doping? If it was BEFORE the 2012 Tour de France as the Dutch news organization claims. Why were they allowed to ride after admitting to doping? Why didn't their reduced sentence start at that time?

Does anyone have links to the original Dutch report or dates on testimony?
Old 10-26-12, 08:31 AM
Bruzer
Bicyclist

Bikes: The two wheeled variety.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hate to reply to my own thread but I was able to find some news articles after I posted. One report was dated July 5 2012.

https://articles.nydailynews.com/2012...ycling-figures

Thursday, July 05, 2012

Five American cycling figures are under renewed scrutiny at the Tour de France Thursday following a Dutch report that they received lenient treatment from anti-doping authorities after snitching on embattled cycling icon Lance Armstrong.

Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf reported that Jonathan Vaughters, George Hincapie, Levi Leipheimer, David Zabriski and Christian Vande Velde — all of them former Armstrong teammates — gave evidence to the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency, which has accused Armstrong of doping and is trying to invalidate Armstrong's titles.

The report says Vaughters, now a team director, and the four cyclists, will receive six-month bans starting in September instead of the two-year ban typically levied for first-time doping offences. The Telegraaf's source was not named.

Vaughters, who directs the Garmin-Sharp team that Vande Velde and Zabriskie ride for, called the report "completely untrue." Hincapie and Leipheimer, who ride for other teams, declined to comment.
So now my question is: Why were these cyclists allowed to compete in the 2012 tour? Why or who suspended their sentences until AFTER the 2012 tour?
Old 10-26-12, 10:33 AM
tuxbailey

Bikes: 2012 Guru Praemio R - 2001 Jamis Ventura - 1990 Specialized Hard Rock (with original tires) - 2012 Trek Cobias

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
UCI MC taking action on recent events.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci-...mstrongs-tours
Old 10-26-12, 10:40 AM
islandboy
touring roadie

Bikes: road & mtn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess no one would care if the headlines read "UCI Doping Scandal". Still making money off his name.
Old 10-26-12, 10:51 AM
jeffpoulin

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Dropping the lawsuit against Kimmage is a good thing.
Old 10-26-12, 11:12 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Ibtm

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 10-26-12, 11:41 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Originally Posted by Bruzer
I hate to reply to my own thread but I was able to find some news articles after I posted. One report was dated July 5 2012.

So now my question is: Why were these cyclists allowed to compete in the 2012 tour? Why or who suspended their sentences until AFTER the 2012 tour?
Prosecutors make all sorts of deals in exchange for testimony. It wouldn't be the first or the last time.

Old 10-26-12, 12:53 PM
mprelaw

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bruzer

Because none of them gave their affidavits to USADA before this year's Tour. They had previosuly testified before a Federal grand jury, but the US Attorney's office did not give transcripts of their testimony to USADA. USADA was aware of the fact of their testimony, and probably had a rough idea of their admissions, but without the details. Remember that USADA was preparing for a full blown arbitration hearing, where they would have to offer in-person testimony. When Armstrong decided in late August not to proceed to arbitration they then had to assemble the affidavits. Most didn't give their affidavits until September and early October.
Old 10-26-12, 01:07 PM
mprelaw

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cog_wild
you missed a couple of my points there prelaw. I realize cycling is an Olympic sport, and Vino, a convicted doper pro cyclist, won Gold. Good for him, what a swansong, really it was a great move to cover that last attack and I know Phinney is still kicking himself. Anyway, point is that Hockey is an Olympic sport, but are there investigations into Hockey's "insidious drug ring" by the USADA? Soccer is an Olympic sport, Tennis, Swimming, Basketball, Judo, etc. How much effort has been made to test these athletes? well we don't hear about it and I would argue that in the public's eye, these are all clean sports. Jurisdictional lines get stretched and yes, I realize there is a good argument to investigate any Olympic sport (even if the majority of its athletes are competing in a professional league) anywhere at any time in order to protect the integrity of competition during the Olympics (which I would argue is the real intent based on the mission statement of the USADA.) The overall point is that bc of LA and all the people he ticked off and left behind in his quest to dominate the sport and amass wealth, cycling is now stained as playing host to the "biggest doping ring in the history of professional sports". Sorry, but that pisses me off. I don't believe that cycling is the only sport infected with extremely advanced ways and prohibited ways of maximizing human performance, far from it. Not to mention, with elaborate schemes for beating the tests.

As far as MLB goes, hell that is an American Institution. If I was a powerful and very rich businessman who owned a ball club, I'd have sicked my congressman on the big shot cheaters across the way too if they had an unfair advantage. It's a slippery slope bc you don't want to tarnish the image too much, but Cycling is fairer game. Most of the big races are in Europe anyway. Perhaps Lance made some enemies in Washington, or didn't do enough to keep powerful friends. I'm joking, sort of. Then there is the issue of the UCI's competency and positive test results that just went away.

whatever, all a bunch of drama, looking forward to riding this weekend. sorry, not a troll, still pissed that Cycling is getting all this negative attention and as I said, hopeful that Cycling might emerge as the one clean professional sport.

btw, you're confusing professional athlete with professional sport. professional Cycling is NOT an Olympic sport. Just Olympic cycling, Get it? Yes, professional cyclists do compete in the Olympic sport of cycling. whew, glad we hashed that out.
USADA has pages of athletes from every sport who have been disciplined for doping violations, or for non-compliance with doping controls. Just go their website.

Any professional athlete who wishes to compete in the Olympics must adhere to the WADA anti-doping code, and they are subject to investigation and discipline from WADA's American affiliate, USADA. Every North American professional sport has doping controls in place. Players are tested in that dynamic. There's nothing for USADA to "investigate". Any NHL or NBA player, as both leagues contribute heavily to Olympic rosters, is subject to USADA and can be suspended by USADA from international competition. The same applies to MLB and soccer players, who wish to compete in the Olympics or world championships, and I'm sure that FIFA has their own doping controls in place. Few if any NFL players compete in the Olympics. If an American pro is tested by his league, and tests positive for a banned substance, USADA can suspend him from any international competition for the appropriate period. Individual leagues discipline their players from in-league competition, and USADA can follow that up with a ban from international competition. In individual sports, there is no league umbrella to suspend. So USADA steps in there and bans people from individual events that are sanctioned by the governing bodies of those sports. In fact, a pro athlete who tests positive or is in non-compliance with his controls can also be suspended by USADA from an individual sport that he or she might wish to compete in.

Armstrong is not only banned from cycling. He's banned from any athletic event that is sanctioned by a governing body that is subject to WADA's anti-doping code. Including triathalons sanctioned by that sport's governing body, and most major running races.

Last edited by mprelaw; 10-26-12 at 01:25 PM.
Old 10-26-12, 02:22 PM
bikerjp
Beer >> Sanity

Bikes: 2014 Evo DA2, 2010 Caad9-4, 2011 Synapse-4, 2013 CaadX-disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mprelaw
Because none of them gave their affidavits to USADA before this year's Tour. They had previosuly testified before a Federal grand jury, but the US Attorney's office did not give transcripts of their testimony to USADA. USADA was aware of the fact of their testimony, and probably had a rough idea of their admissions, but without the details. Remember that USADA was preparing for a full blown arbitration hearing, where they would have to offer in-person testimony. When Armstrong decided in late August not to proceed to arbitration they then had to assemble the affidavits. Most didn't give their affidavits until September and early October.
I suspect it's far more likely that they simply made a deal. Tell us what you know and agree to testify and we will not release anything until after the end of the season and your suspension will only 6mos and off season. Or something to that effect.
Old 10-26-12, 02:32 PM
bikepro

Bikes: Look 585

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
What got dropped off the web article -- they more importantly discussed what to do with the money that Lance returns. They seem to favor replacing the capeting in the front office and repainting the walls -- using the same off-white they'll be using to white-wash the entire Lance affair.
Old 10-26-12, 03:08 PM
mprelaw

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Armstrong was offered the same deal. 6 months suspension, and loss of results within the 8 year statute of limitations. He would have kept his 5 TdF wins from 1999-2003, as well as his bronze medal from 2000.

From what I gather, a 6 month suspension is usually what you get for a first violation.

You know, the guys who gave affidavits aren't getting off scot-free. They are all losing results from within the past 8 years. Leipheimer, especially, is losing some significant results and will likely have to repay all that prize money. Plus he's currently without a ride for next year.

Unfortunately, I don't think that anyone is in a position of declaring that Hincapie didn't start and finish the 8 TdFs he rode in during the last 8 years, so he gets to say he started and finished more than anyone else. Certainly no money involved---it's like the participation trophy you get in Little League.

Last edited by mprelaw; 10-26-12 at 03:13 PM.
Old 10-26-12, 05:29 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by bikepro
What got dropped off the web article -- they more importantly discussed what to do with the money that Lance returns. They seem to favor replacing the capeting in the front office and repainting the walls -- using the same off-white they'll be using to white-wash the entire Lance affair.
The UCI has told Armstrong to return the prizemoney:

https://www.news.com.au/sport/more-sp...-1226504328991

The UCI management committee said:

"The committee also called on Armstrong and all other 'affected' riders to return the prize money they had received.''
Old 10-26-12, 05:57 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3376 Post(s)
Liked 5,526 Times in 2,864 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
The UCI has told Armstrong to return the prizemoney:

https://www.news.com.au/sport/more-sp...-1226504328991

The UCI management committee said:

"The committee also called on Armstrong and all other 'affected' riders to return the prize money they had received.''
If LA returns the prize money, then will UCI return the $125K LA gave to them?
Old 10-28-12, 07:02 PM
SamDaBikinMan
Crank Crushing Redneck

Bikes: Bikes are environmentally damaging

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Regardless, Lance still won. He was the best doper AND fastest rider.
Old 10-28-12, 10:24 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by Erzulis Boat
We have been saying that Lance was doping for over a decade now!

Idiots have claimed his innocence because they don't know jack about racing. Wise up kids.

Yep, he's innocent, framed by Richard Nixon! You can't change your tune now, we all have something called a "search function"............................oh no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is too funny.
I thought he was framed by Hillary Clinton.

1998 was a pivotal and ironic year. Most of us remember it for the Festina affair, which was supposed to bring about reforms in getting the dope out of professional cycling. It's also the year Lance Armstrong arrived at USPS, saw all the ad-hoc personal doping going on, and announced to the effect of, we're going to stop putzing around and do this thing right because I'm back to win.

To be fair, the other teams continued to ramp up their doping programs, too, but the program at USPS was just as significant and scandalous as Festina's.