Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Scratch Free Bikes After 1 Year Plus

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Scratch Free Bikes After 1 Year Plus

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-18, 04:19 PM
devianb

Bikes: 2008 Dawes Haymaker 20XX Leader LD515 TotoCycling Road Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts
I repainted both of my commuting bicycles recently. I scratched the fork on one of them not less than 24 hours and I didn't even ride it yet.
Old 08-27-18, 04:43 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4739 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluechip
A brushed titanium finish goes a long way to keep things looking good. A scotch bright pad takes care of most blemishes easily. On another bike I was replacing a broken shifter with shiny new one. After retaping the bars, I knocked it over and put an ugly gouge on the new lever. Some things just aren't meant to be unblemished.
+1.. Had a blemish on my Ti frame.. a gray scotchbrite pad and voila presto change-o.. good as new.
Old 08-28-18, 10:27 AM
highrpm

Bikes: Huffy Sienna Cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
On family rides, I load all the bikes together into the back of the van. They all got most of their little dings and scratches from my loading and unloading. I agree with a lot of the earlier posts - this just makes them look like they're being used.
Old 08-28-18, 12:04 PM
REDMASTA

Bikes: Bare Rum Sword Knuckle Runner

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 64 Posts
I used to worry about trivial crap like scratches, but who cares it's just stuff, it's meant to be used.
Likes For REDMASTA:
Old 08-28-18, 12:13 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18428 Post(s)
Liked 15,582 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
I've broken 4 frames, 2 of them mt bikes.
Must have been crabon fibre assplosions.
Old 08-28-18, 12:38 PM
backonblack

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If it doesn't get scratched up your not riding it hard enough. My MTBs alloy frame came so scratched up I decided to strip it down and polish it over winter.
Old 08-28-18, 04:04 PM
zaqwert6
New but not Noob

Bikes: Madone Litespeed Paramount Colnago

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know my primary road bike is 8 years old, most people think it's new. It has some minor scratches yes but you have to look close to find them. I touch them up and polish them out when I can. That bike gets ridden tween 100 and 200 miles a week for the last 8 years. I don't really think it's that hard to take care of your stuff.
Old 08-28-18, 04:07 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by zaqwert6
That bike gets ridden tween 100 and 200 miles a week for the last 8 years.
So what you're saying is you have a bike with between 40,000 and 80,000 miles on it, and it looks brand new.

Must be nice. I can't imagine that being even remotely possible, so it must be nice.
Old 08-28-18, 04:35 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
Scratches is precisely why I chose titanium for frame material. I have a Habanero Cross frame and there are zero scratches on it. Since it is brushed instead of bead blasted, should a rub mark be found, it can be rebuffed with an abrasive pad to match the original finish. Painted frames cannot be saved so easily. Go Habanero and leave your worries behind.
Old 08-28-18, 04:39 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by REDMASTA
I used to worry about trivial crap like scratches, but who cares it's just stuff, it's meant to be used.

I just call and think of them as use/battle scars.
Old 08-28-18, 06:53 PM
zaqwert6
New but not Noob

Bikes: Madone Litespeed Paramount Colnago

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
So what you're saying is you have a bike with between 40,000 and 80,000 miles on it, and it looks brand new.

Must be nice. I can't imagine that being even remotely possible, so it must be nice.
Very nice.
Old 08-28-18, 09:02 PM
b88

Bikes: Specialized

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by taz777
Paint quality varies quite a bit across my bikes.

My Cannondale fat bike has very soft and thin paint and wears down easily - a light cable rub has worn away the top coat.

My Specialized CrossTrail has an amazing paint job that wouldn't look out of place on a high end car. Silky smooth deep lustre paint and a tough gloss lacquer.
Photo?
Old 08-29-18, 11:20 AM
taz777

Bikes: 5

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by b88
Photo?
Here's a couple of photos of the paintwork from my Cannondale Fat CAAD 2. I realise it's an 'army green' paint so is not glossy - more of a matte/satin finish, but the paint is very soft and thin.

And here's a couple of photos of the paintwork on my CrossTrail.

The paint on the CrossTrail is a lot better than the paint on the Cannondale (specifically talking only about the bikes that I own).
Old 09-03-18, 11:41 AM
alanf

Bikes: Devinci Millenium, Gary Fisher Joshua

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 13 Posts
I intentionally leave mine scratched up because it makes them less appealing to steal.... IMO I clean off obvious garbage on the brakes/rims after a rain ride but that's pretty much it.

Had a bike stolen as a kid and have been conscious of it ever since.

I know a guy who paints his bikes a gaudy messy flat black so t looks like cr*p to reduce the chance that it gets stolen.
Old 09-03-18, 05:36 PM
Marci

Bikes: My Day 6, Big Red.

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
My second bike was so scratched up I took a different shade of blue and it ended up looking like a blue roan horse after its been in a fight and the hair grows back a different color. I called it blue roan. The bike I have now only has a few, the worst where the basket rubs. I haven't crashed it, (yet) but it has fallen over a few times. Had to put a new shifter on it for the back. Worked out for the best as the guy working on it Tim put a smaller new derailer? Chain wheel? on it and I now have a really low granny gear.
Makes going up hill a breeze. Takes longer but knees are happier. Comes in handy also going against a strong wind. And for parades where you go really, really, really slow.
Old 03-20-19, 04:45 AM
Patriot1

Bikes: (2) 2019 Specialized Roll Sports, 1992 Merlin Road Ti, 1986 Schwinn Peloton, 2 Trek 920’s,

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Scratches, dings, dents, simply screams loudly I don’t care about taking care of things I spend money on. It also says I don’t care about leverage in a sale if should I ever decide to sell it. Is a bicycle in excellent condition and well cared for worth more when selling than a scratched up bicycle? In my experience yes. Just an observation, and simple math.

So what is the upside to selling or giving away a dinged up, scratched up bicycle other than patina? Let the rationalizing continue.

Last edited by Patriot1; 03-24-19 at 11:37 PM.
Old 03-20-19, 06:41 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

My Ritchey is scratched, dinged, and dented, and I am extremely fond of that bike. It’s scratched and dinged because it’s 2 years old and has 13,000 miles on it. It’s living a life. The idea of a pampered “shelfer” bicycle makes no sense to me.

Also, there are a select few of us that don’t give a damn about resale. My bike fits, and I genuinely enjoy riding it. Why the hell would I sell it? I’m gonna rock it ‘til the wheels fall off.
Old 03-20-19, 07:55 AM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
3 years and over 14k miles and my main commuter workhorse has zero scratches, dings, or nicks. Zero. It is also quite possibly the cleanest, best maintained bike you’ll ever see. Aside from any possible tire and brake pad wear the bike looks brand new. Well, the saddle and bar tape show a little wear too.

The point I’m trying to make is that the possibility exists that a bicycle can be very well used AND very clean and damage free. I’m not ashamed to say I dote over my bikes. I take pride in their performance and condition. It’s not something everyone can do or is even interested in doing, but I doubt I’m alone in this.

When I sell a bike (and I buy/sell a lot) I’m able to get top dollar because of my diligence. Again, many may not really care about resale value (or admit they do) but it’s one of the payoffs for the effort.

To each their own.

-Kedosto
Old 03-20-19, 08:13 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

<checks subforum> Yeah, some of us don't stick to the streets. My rims look like they've been in rock throwing fights, because they have been in, well... rock throwing fights. You want dings and dents? This is how you get dings and dents...

Old 03-20-19, 09:29 AM
Altair 4

Bikes: 2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1989 Cannondale SR500 Black Lightning, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Scratches are character marks that tell a story.
My wife and I have the same attitude about our wedding bands.

Originally Posted by Nachoman
I once purchased a brand new bike and before ever leaving the shop, I scratched the top tube, right where I have to look at it every time I get on the bike.
The last new bike I bought had a scratch on the top tube BEFORE I bought it. It didn't really bother me. Over time, the chain side wheel stay has taken some knicks. I had to take a dremel tool with a sanding wheel and then wire brush to smooth out the damage on the black barend handles from one crash, so that's a nice silver reminder. There's stone knicks on the down tube. I just wash the bike every now and then and throw a coat of car polish and wax on it and I'm content with how it looks.

Originally Posted by taz777
Paint quality varies quite a bit across my bikes....My Cannondale fat bike has very soft and thin paint and wears down easily
The paint on my Black Lightning is like that, so i guess it a "feature" of Cannondales. Honestly, sometimes I think it scratches and knicks if you just look at it too intensely.
Old 03-20-19, 09:51 AM
jade408

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts
While I don’t have closeup pics, my powder coated bike was nearly scratch free after 3 years and bike rack parking. I saw one tiny scratch at some point.
Old 03-20-19, 09:55 AM
jade408

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
It's about the paint quality on your bike and how careful you are to not do something to scratch it. I've had a couple of Trek's and a LeMond that would get paint chips if you breathed on it too hard because the paint was so thin. My 2011 Focus has almost 20,000 miles and looks virtually brand new. You would have to use a magnifier to see any scratches.
I have a 2012 focus. Same story. The only dings are from some doors. I am at 40k miles.
Old 03-20-19, 10:04 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
I'd say 90% of my bikes' scratches come from locking them up to various metal objects. Definitely a "life's too short to worry about" thing for me.Usually scratched within 50 miles' riding by me.
Old 03-20-19, 10:07 AM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Use Frame Tape

seen on a bike hacks video by Seth
Old 03-20-19, 01:24 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
The Habanero Cross bike has zero scratches going into it's third season. Brushed titanium. Perfect for the scratch-less look! Love it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.